Escape From New York

Just watched this - fucking loved it. What do you guys think of this and Carpenter's other films?

It's a decent flick, but not Carpenter's best. The Thing is better.

Libertarian movie, libertarian actor. Drop it.

Alright anons, fav underrated Carpenter film

I honestly love Prince of Darkness so much, my only change would be to get rid of Alice Cooper

If you really can't enjoy something because you disagree with the author's political views, you have to go back.

Shit, meant to reply to

Meh. Liked how they did not force the sexualization of the female character. Anyway, it was both Van Cleef Kino and Chef Kino, so it's pretty good

Not even the best of Carpenter's work. Escape From New York is almost at the level of Ghosts of Mars. The Thing is better, but real men understand that Big Trouble in Little China is the epitome of Carpenterkino

I'm not a damn nazi Sup Forumstard and you don't own me. It's a stupid action movie from the 80's

watch an old space movie from jonh carpenter don't remember the name, it was garbage but in the end i loved it

Escape From NY, The Thing, They Live, In the Mouth of Madness, and BTiLC are all top notch Carpenter

Halloween, Prince of Darkness, Christine, and Starman are all good (Assault on Precinct 13 almost makes this list)

Ghosts of Mars, Vampires, Village of the Damned, and Dark Star are bad/meh

So much better than it should be. You have to remember that John Carpenter made this with almost no budget.

Mouth of madness

Seconded

>stupid action movies
>80's

that's all the 80's has user, and they're all stupid

Fascists aren't the only ones who hate libertarians. commies do too.

The Thing was his best film, everything else was good to decent..

Big Trouble in Little Chinatown is my favorite movie, I'm not even memeing. Of course, I prefer popcorn flicks which this is the epitome of. My favorite detail is that the Asian guy is the protagonist and Burton is the wide kick--we just get the story from his point of view.

>implying Assault on Precinct 13 isn't one of the most absolutely fucking badass action films of all-time
Nigga you really dun goofed.

A#1, Duke of New York

Loved this movie growing up in the 80s.
They really fucked this up by making Escape from LA

>get rid of Alice Cooper
Wtf would you do that? He was great.
And upon my recent rewatch of classic Carpenter, PoD is certainly the one that went up in the list the most. It's seriously underrated and has many great things.
The one that dropped hard is In The Mouth Of Madness. It's just not a very good movie. Carpenter dropped the ball with the soundtrack and the decision to show the monsters in the hallway, and the script was downright awful (not Carpenter's fault though).
It's still an ok movie but very overrated. For a movie with a similar feel, Fulci's The Beyond is just much better overall, even with its cheap budget/fx.

At any rate, Carpenter's run from Assault on Precinct 13 to They Live is one of the best runs of any directors ever. He just couldn't do no wrong.

>Escape From New York is almost at the level of Ghosts of Mars
Nobody has ever been more wrong in the history of mankind.

You got to check out Escape from LA next user!

> Escape from LA

FUCK.

NO.

>Assault on Precinct 13, Prince of Darkness, Christine and Halloween below In The Mouth of Madness

You must've been born in the 90s.

Also, the first half of Assault on Precinct 13 is just a masterclass in minimalistic filmmaking, just like Halloween. You have to be a Snyder fan not to see the levels of genius in those films.

Carpenter was a genius, The Thing still the comfiest movie.

If I had to pick one Carpenter movie to watch tonight, keeping in mind I've already seen The Thing, what should I go with? Leaning towards either Escape From New York or Big Trouble.

When John Carpenter is good he's great, when he's bad it's a shit storm.

While I completely agree with Madness, Fulci is also incredibly overrated. Over the top gore just for the sake of gore does not make a good movie.

Halloween III had all the makings of a god-tier movie.

Assault on Precinct 13 if you haven't seen it.

>Over the top gore just for the sake of gore does not make a good movie.
This is true but only applies to a few of his films, mostly made in the late 80s. He's a very uneven director and I wouldn't put it in the same level than Carpenter at all.
However, The Beyond is a really great movie that manages to mix both atmosphere and gore in a very satisfying way, and it's probably his best horror movie, with an excellent soundtrack as well. If you haven't seen it, you should.

Watch the remake next.

they good

Am I the only one here watched it purely because of metal gear? I just remember going through the movie with a mate spurting autistic metal gear memes

This is pure kino

The handguards missing from the rifles triggered muh autism

It's ok but not much more than that. You can tell it's padded to make it to the 90 minute mark.

For a movie that's just ok, it sure has some gorgeous cinematography.

Yeah, it has some great spooky scenes too, but it just doesn't hold together all that well. I wish the dvd's would take away all the extra footage he was forced to shoot. I'm sure it's a much better movie that way.

Ghosts of Mars is his most underrated, but Prince of Darkness is his best underrated.

Watch They Live

>Big Trouble in Little China is the epitome of Carpenterkino

saw it again yesterday and have to agree