FANTASY

Will any of these reach the popularity of LOTR or GoT?

>Magic the Gathering
hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-bring-magic-gathering-big-670529

>Dungeons & Dragons (Forgotten Realms)
collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/

>Mistborn
deadline.com/2017/01/dmg-f-scott-frazier-adapting-mistborn-the-final-empire-brandon-sanderson-1201895621/

>Stormlight Archive
tor.com/2016/10/27/brandon-sandersons-cosmere-universe-movie-rights-sold-to-dmg-entertainment/

>Kingkiller Chronicle
thewrap.com/lin-manuel-miranda-produce-feature-film-tv-series-kingkiller-chronicle/

>The Witcher
deadline.com/2017/05/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series-1202095582/

>The Wheel of Time
variety.com/2017/tv/news/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sony-1202390897/

Other urls found in this thread:

tor.com/2017/04/24/glen-cooks-the-black-company-series-coming-to-television-to-star-eliza-dushku/
ew.com/tv/2017/05/04/game-of-thrones-prequels-spinoffs/
youtube.com/watch?v=28snhq40C8o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>comparing GoT to LotR
But no, none of them will

>Magic the Gathering
No.

>Dungeons & Dragons (Forgotten Realms)
No.

>Mistborn
No.

>Stormlight Archive
FUCK no.

>Kingkiller Chronicle
FUCK no.

>The Witcher
Maybe, but doubtful.

>The Wheel of Time
No.

wheel of time is teenage me's favorite book series, but i havent reread it, and probably never will, i dont want to lose the good memories i had of it. kingkiller chronicles was interesting, but you get autistic people from /lit/ who didnt read it but see and excerpt and post memes about it, so threads will already be ruined, and stormlight archive...brandon sanderson is either really really good, or really really boring, and SA suffers from multiple character chapters, and its either or with those chapters, there is no middle ground.

Is any of this other than Wheel of Time not brain dead fanfic tier diarrhea?

Where's Once and Future King? Where's Elric? Where's Earthsea? Where's New Sun? Where's Black Company?

I have a feeling they'll end up rushed garbage like Warcraft movie instead of early GoT or LOTR.

>this could be the next Game of Thrones we need something out by next year!!!

There's already a kino D&D movie

>popularity

read the damn post

>inb4 someone tries to pretend stormlight archive isn't total rancid shit

That image
>Gurm
>Writing

>new sun
>not fanfic tier
new sun was terrible, i dont get how its so recommended.
>once and future king
after that last king arthur movie, good luck getting another green lit in the next 10 years
>black company
now you are speaking my language.

>Black Company

Forgot to add that the the op

tor.com/2017/04/24/glen-cooks-the-black-company-series-coming-to-television-to-star-eliza-dushku/

Witcher is the only one that might and that's because it's the only one that's going to get made.

i liked the parts with the dude who was the prisoner on bridge duty. the rest was boring

>Implying any fantasy series can beat Lord of the Rings.

It'll make a good movie desu even if it is a shit book

those were the only good parts, yes

You honestly think people in 15 years will remember GoT the way we remember LotR now?
It's built 100% on hype and has 0 rewatch value

Seeing how horrible Shannara was butchered I have little faith in adaptions.

maybe, but you'd be re-writing a lot. it certainly wouldnt make a good show

yeah, given that GoT is more popular than LoTR, yes it will

also there are 4 spin-offs coming, it will be relevant for a while whether you like it or not

>muh rewatch
not an argument

I disliked Mistborn because of the unnecessary and overly detailed fight scenes that read like some teen's animu fanfic, but that would actually make good material for live action.

>also there are 4 spin-offs coming
Quik rundown?

ew.com/tv/2017/05/04/game-of-thrones-prequels-spinoffs/

>GoT is more popular than LoTR
It's a passing fad. People will move onto newer distractions eventually when the series ends, but Lord of the Rings will always remain relevant.

Not really. Half of the books are anime fight scenes and big DUN DUN DUN reveals with no real meat in between, perfect for a blockbuster movie

>yeah, given that GoT is more popular than LoTR
top kek

Tolkien looks like such a Jew

girls on tinder don't watch LotR
guys on college football teams dont watch LotR

GoT already penetrated the cultural zeitgeist further than LotR and attracted even ultimate normies. people don't just "forget" something they've invested 8 seasons in. did they forget LOST (another show that got progressively shittier)?

cutting and compressing = rewriting

The Witcher has potential but will be ruined by diversity casting.

It's popular now because they went for the mass appeal strategy rather than making a good show that will hold up in the future
You talk about attracting normies as though that's a good thing, there is no audience less likely to forget about their 'favorite' show within a week after it's over.

Everyone watched lord of the rings you underage faggot

i love mtg but any movie about it would be a hilariously irredeemable pile of trash. wizards is good at the card game but literally nothing else. they can't even put a working online client together.

Should say more likely, I really should read what I type before I send it

>You talk about attracting normies as though that's a good thing
you made this up

>mass appeal strategy
once again: LOST, a show even this board still talks about, which had even worse asspulls and bullshit

and fell asleep 30 minutes into it

Oh I'm being b8ed nvm

I've never heard a soul talk about LOST since the series ended. GoT and ASoIaF will suffer the same fate.

Magic and Dungeons are extremely popular and important but probably won't do well outside their traditional mediums.

The Witcher is really great though. If given the time and care that CD Projekt Red does it would be incredibly successful.

>WILL any of the post Tolkien abortions make it on tv?
Sure just tune into syfy channle.

>I've never heard a soul talk about LOST since the series ended

okay im being baited

doesnt stormlight have way more magic than GOT the budget for a show would be too high and the books are like 1000 pages so good luck fitting that into a movie

>he thinks LotR wasn't a cultural phenomenon that almost everyone saw

You have to be underage if you think it's not bigger than GoT ever was.

just like avatar :^)

How about the Gentleman Bastards or the Farseer Trilogy?

I would really like a good live-action Witcher. It's a really fun universe and the characters are great.

The nature of Geralt's profession could make it a monster-of-the-week kind of show with several large overarching plots. Depending on the point in time for the story that could be Geralt's relationship with Yen, raising Ciri, the persecution of the Lodge, and a lot more.

Avatar is a pretty good example actually, hugely popular movie that everyone saw, but nobody remembers. Much like GoT

movie. 3 hour long movie. there's a difference here but i cant put my finger on it...

>there are people on this earth who actually believe smut like GoT is on the same level as LotR

see:

The difference is that people would be more likely to rewatch a 3 hour movie than 70 hours of plotlines that go nowhere
Congrats your shit show will be less relevant in 2 years time than fucking Avatar, that's almost impressive

>Mistborn
Can't compete for popularity with GoT because there will be no titties or sex, the author is Mormon and protective.

you're just asshurt someone called out your autistic good vs. evil trilogy (which has NOTHING about taxes in it), admit it

> Not having boromir fight Ned

What a fucking waste.

>can't defend your shitty tv show
>resort to memes to make it look like you were just baiting the whole time

it's just your opinion against mine at this point, there's nothing to refute

Kino indeed.

youtube.com/watch?v=28snhq40C8o

What's that one series about the wizard and his apprentice? A sword is involved at some point

This could be amazing if done right

Muira is almost as fucking lazy as GRRM. Could there be a connection?

You talking about Wolfe's Wizard Knight duology?

Tolkien is to creative literary genius what Martin is to hack pulp idiocy. They both so far surpass anyone else in their field that they will be remembered 1,000 years from now as a kind of yin and yang of fantasy, a Manichaen duality of speculative letters. For every sublime, luminous beauty that Tolkien has gifted the world, Martin has cursed us with a tedious, banal ugliness. It is unfair to compare the two directly on any one point, because Martin is in every way the anti-Tolkien, patently sterile, parasitical, and inferior, but so much so that he becomes a monument in his own right, and counterbalances Tolkien. Could one exist without the other? Tolkien obviously could. But it is only by the contrast that Martin offers that we can truly appreciate the full depths and heights of Tolkien. Our understanding of Tolkien would be incomplete if Martin had never set pen to page. It is through only the abject failure and futility of Martin that we can approach an apprehension of the true scope and scale of Tolkien's hitherto inconceivable greatness. Perhaps this is what Tolkien had in mind when he wrote about the Music of the Ainur. If Tolkien is a subcreator in the image of Eru, truly Martin is like unto Melkor. It is only reflected in the awfulness of the one that we can fully see the goodness of the other.

except GRRM is a way better writer

GRRM loves Idolmaster.

Nah don't think so. I remember the cover being like a black frame with a red border on the inside

autism

>except GRRM is a way better writer

never read any book in my life

LOTR is complete shit in comparison to GOT, it's like GOT for kids

is there any fantasy better than GOT?

>Tolkien the chad, a lot of kids.
>Martin the fat manlet burger, no kids but have pets.

yes, even sunset found her squatting is decent and utilitarian prose for martin's style and as a description of diarrhea. it comes and it keeps coming.

martin blows miura the fuck away as a writer of plots though

Calling GURM the "American Tolkien" is an insult to Tolkien.

Sword of Truth
That's it

Wheel of Time has potential for a GOAT adaptation if done correctly.

I'll write the next epic fantasy series. Screencap.

Gandalf could solo everyone in Westeros without evem taking his pipe out of his mouth

nope. me.

Drizzt Do'Urden tv series WHEN?

Nah m8 if we're cracking the seal on Forgotten Realms content they've gotta go further back than the popular literal meme-tier character

Dark Tower failed miserably so I wonder. Out of all those I can see Wheel of Time being close enough to a GoT clone to remain relevant.

It's this faggot again. Still mad that he didn't understand Wolfe

I read GRRM... but yeah, is so easy for him and Stephen King. Money and live just for writing.
Anyone who has read Tolkien's letters knows the problems he faced. War, family, a lot of work as a teacher and money problems.

GRRM meanwhile lives comfortably, without children and without real problems.He criticizes the work of others, eats a lot and lives in his isolated world.

>American Tolkien

MAKE IT

SOMEBODY

OR I, KIM JONG UN, WILL DESTROY NIPPON

I'm literally writing it now. Not memeing.

but meme-tier shit is the only shit that gets made.

>$1 billion dollars per episode

wheel of time had that 6 book slog where nothing fucking happened

a new challenger appears

No budget in the world can pay for the amount of special effects this would need.

but im the one who's not memeing

>the writing style of every garbage-tier bargain bin fantasy novel ever

bravo

what's wrong with it? action at the beginning instead of pages of purple prose? lemme see some of yours. i won't criticize it just to criticize it

i'm not proud of my opening anyway. i could post much better parts if you share yours

I'm sure you didn't post that for feedback but I'll tell you something: go easy on the adverbs. They're a crutch for people who can't write well. Most can be removed. Delete one and see if the sentence still makes sense. 90%of the time, it will.
Also don't assume your readers know what you're talking about. When most people read the word "gauntlet" they think of a metal glove, not a cell or wherever your protagonist is.
You might have something good here but I can't give you any more advice without reading more.

I really enjoyed the parts with Dalinar, im a sucker for honourable knights though, felt the same about ned when I first read a game of thrones although that didnt end so well

>but the nature of its illumination was best purposed only for strained bedside reading

clean that up

>MUH ADVERBS

are there that many adverbs? i only see "reflexively", but i might be adverb-blind.

yeah, it says a "gauntlet of mantraps" so it's several traps by the door. an associate of the MC's broke into his house to canvas his room for the efficacy of his traps, but he came a day early to perform the requested job, so the MC didn't expect it. as the scene irises out it becomes more clear.

how would you? i already compressed it once. remove "only"?

ctf+f "ly" and you'll find a bunch. Like I said, remove them and see if the sentence still works. If you want your readers to understand where your MC is, you should tell them what you just told me. Otherwise they won't know. I thought he was in a prison cell.
>but the nature of its illumination was best purposed only for strained bedside reading
I would write
>but it gave out just enough light for bedside reading
Maybe not as fancy, but at least it rolls off the tongue better. Never use complicated words where simple ones will do.