Why are modern combat vets such whiney little faggots? Back in the day...

Why are modern combat vets such whiney little faggots? Back in the day, you'd have neighborhoods where everyone's dad was a WW2 vet and they were productive non faggot members of society. Now it seems like modern vets base their whole idenity around that four years they were a marine or a soldier.

Oh and this PTSD meme. If you couldn't handle the stress then why join? Jesus

I read that 25% of them already have PTSD when they enter. Its a politically motivated diagnosis, like all of psychiatry (can't prove someone DOESNT have it) and military attracts fuck ups outside of defensive wars and drafts.

COZE YOU SEEN ONLY INFANTRY

RARE

Well things change, one example, ww2 vets came home knowing that they won the biggest war in their lifetime that decided the fate on many nations, hailed as heroes since

You can't really say the same who's arrived from shooting some towel heads for a purpose really unclear, of course it's voluntary but still, the situation for the vets of today are similar of those of Vietnam, as I think of it, of course on a smaller scale, but the public reception of the vets and the whole conflict are kind of the same

Sup Forumspot is back again

Kek

The ones you see losing their shit and crying all the time are vietnam and peacetime vets that followed

The media puts some of the problems into their mind with the PTSD diagnosis. The modern military gives these guys tons of drugs which probably doesn't help their brain out all too much. For the most part though, these guys do have serious issues and it's not just a meme.

You act like people returning from WW2 just went back to normal lives. Men have suffered post-wars throughout all of history. World War 2 vets lived with serious emotional damage their entire lives. Having a good family and non-degenerate culture and lifestyle to return to probably helped a lot of them. Back then they had real women to come back to.

>modern
There's your answer.

This war was kind of fucked up to be fair. Lots of urban combat, which was rare in Vietnam. Lots of little kids carrying grenades. They called the Vietnam era vets baby killers but we would actually do it, they don't like us and as a people kind of suck to be around...

This constant whining about mental conditions is damaging to society. I got in a car crash a few months ago and this cultural mindset that going through something makes you "broken" or whatever really encouraged me to feel bad for myself rather than getting over it.

Something like 90% of military spouses cheat on their partners during deployment, which is often the primary cause of stress and anxiety amongst soldiers.

Factor in long periods of deployment that are incredibly boring, punctuated with a few seconds of sheer terror (someone stepping on an IED).

If soldiers actually had to fight in an active battle, but were rotated out and allowed to decompress every so often, there would probably be less PTSD.

Instead sitting in some dusty shithole, being incredibly bored but knowing any second you or a friend could step on a mine and be maimed for life, whilst your wife is busy fucking another guy in your marital bed.

>The modern military gives these guys tons of drugs

>T. my ass

>>The modern military gives these guys tons of drugs

then where do i sign up xD

Because they're good goys

They are given tons of pharm drugs... are you retarded?

Served 8 years as a Marine. I don't know where the fuck I would be now if I had not joined. I definitely bettered myself as a man. Everyone has PTSD to a certain extent it varies on how someone handles their own.

Warfare changed a fuckton between Korea and Vietnam; the usage of artillery and chemical weapons increased severalfold, the enemy used guerilla tactics and armed 8 year olds, and the people we were supposed to be helping were at best useless, and often attacking us, etc. Those hold true for most wars since as well, but for Vietnam specifically a lot were draftees, and most were against the war.

The idea of PTSD has existed for at least a century but was referred to as shellshock. PTSD is widely misunderstood by civilians who haven't gone through similarly traumatic experiences (psychologists included), and the people who have it generally don't go around telling people. Most of those who advocate helping veterans do a poor job representing them or accurately portraying the condition.

t. Army medic who knows a lot of guys with PTSD

Ok so how WOULD you accurately represent the condition? You can explain how not to but not how TO?

Despite the cliches, the American military in Vietnam was mostly volunteers. The WW2 force actually had a higher draftee to volunteer ratio. About twice as high in fact.

And PTSD is SJW bullshit.

>working at auto repair shop
>find out co-worker is Afghanistan vet
>bring pocket full of fire crackers the next day
>light a few of them and toss them into the van he is working on
>never seen a man move so quickly in my life
>he's laying on the ground with his head down
>my face when he laughs it off and we're best buddies now

He was shaken up at first but he was chill as fuck, and thought it was hilarious. He went on to tell me about the naked kids running through gigantic weed fields collecting hash on their bodies.

>be me iraq/the stan vet
>be a medevac black hawk crew chief for 6 years
>every time I hear helicopters I get small anxiety attacks due to thinking about seeing people bleeding out and screaming
>vet doctor gives me tons of pills and shit
>decline the scripts
>move to comfy montana property where I haven't heard a helicopter in 2 years
>live comfy ever after

PTSD is blown out of proportion in the media imo. The terms described as PTSD are much larger than what they used to be. The 22 vets that kill themselves daily are mainly Vietnam vets not M.E vets.

Being in a high stress enviorment for more than a year at a time (both my tours were 13months with a 2 week break in the middle ) leaves long lasting effects on the human body. It's just human nature.

Long lasting effects like what? I live in D.C. and I hate helicopters but I guess there's no flashback effect.

I know its a bait thread but I hear these arguments flying around seriousy from time to time.

>Now it seems like modern vets base their whole idenity around that four years they were a marine or a soldier.

If you timetravelled to the 50s you would propably find a ton of people taking about their time as soldiers as they do now. The military is interesting, young men usually serve in it in a period of their lives that is very important for their personality's development and chicks dig soldiers anyway.

>Oh and this PTSD meme

Vets back in the day also had PTSD, it was just undiagnosed and they continued their lives a bit messed up in the head.

>If you couldn't handle the stress then why join?

Most soldiers can handle the stress.

I was reading something once that said modern military people are in active combat for longer bouts so they don't make them rotate out as long.

Even if bait thread I always find it interesting to hear stories from war veterans of our generation. If anyone here is a vet and willing to share I'm very interested to hear what you saw (that you can tell us) and how you live now.

When you have injured people in your helicopter almost weekly, it gets ingrained in your brain to associate the two together. We only normally flew if we were going to go pick someone up. I was on a pretty low traffic fob so the majority of flights all were associated with medevacing people. Two years of that and it sticks with you. Somethings you just can't unsee or forget.