I know most of you probably play videogames and I know some of you are against them...

I know most of you probably play videogames and I know some of you are against them. I want to ask you what you would like to see in videogames and whether or not, in your opinion, they can be used for something productive.

I'm a game designer and am often conflicted whether everything I will ever work on would amount to nothing more than just escapism.

Should I change my field? Can I help use videogames to promote a just cause?

Other urls found in this thread:

kongregate.com/games/rete/dont-shit-your-pants
youtu.be/rBwcqcC5VvE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Can I help use videogames to promote a just cause
Absolutely. In fact, video games are a perfect tool for giving the masses the Red Pill. Deus Ex got me interested in politics. You can try and to the same for the modern gamers.

Creativity is a just cause.

We don't live in a world where everything has to be productive. Video games are basically just interactive books. If you can create a product that causes someone to feel or that challenges them, then you have done something useful.

If you want to use your media to promote a cause that's fine, but it needs to be because that's what you want to create. It shouldn't be because you feel like you have to do it to justify your creativity.

The only reason I'm doing this is because I realise the tremendous potential that games have. I have a lot to offer in terms of creativity and at the same time spreading a righteous message across (at least that's what I believe). I enjoy writing, animating, coding and making music as well.

However the main issue that I face is that I won't be able to survive long wihout creating something that pleases the crowd. So far, I have realised that I will have to sacrifice both creativity and my own morals in order to be successful and get rich. I don't know if I want to do that. I really don't want to promote an unhealthy sense of escapism either.

You can try getting a job and making the game during your free time.

This is my full time job currently. It is extremely difficult to find a job in this country honestly.

This is what I do. I work as a teacher and mod Skyrim as a hobby. If people see what you're capable of they offer you a few hundred dollars here and there to help them out. It's not a bad paycheck for a hobby.

If you want to make an actual career out of it then you have at least a decade to go before you stop being someone's programming bitch and actually get to make your own stories.

poo

hehe

Games can only be a profit-driven excescise after they become mainstream. The only decent thing they can give is a sense of aesthetics for people who would never read a book in their early life. It's impossible for games to be art in the 21rst century.

Teach history or valuable information. At the minimum have more meaning than a movie

>It's impossible for games to be art in the 21st century.
What do you mean by this? Aren't games art?

Make one that game-ifies the basics of electrical engineering and programming? The redstone mechanics were one of my favorite parts of minecraft.

you should make an educational game where it teaches indian kids how to poo in the loo

you will be the india's 21 century hero

No. They are a materialist hobby. Most art has been political since the mid 20th century and for art itself. Making Video Games are way past the point they were an end to itself. I am pretty sure eventually in India video games will be part of propaganda, when your economy has grown enough.

No, your country needs more educational games.

kongregate.com/games/rete/dont-shit-your-pants

Yeah, a video game can't be art, but hold on, let me piss in this glass jar and put a crucifix inside.

Yeah, I'm a fuckin' artistic genius is what it is...

Anybody want to buy this thing? I'm thinking like $600,000. You can't really put a price on it, though.

But yeah, $600,000.

I try my best as they are the most accessible platform these days, but I'm afraid that I won't have good market response.

>I'm a game designer and am often conflicted whether everything I will ever work on would amount to nothing more than just escapism.
not really, if the game has potential it'll stick around

Almost nothing since WW2 has been art for itself.

>I know most of you probably play video games
video games globally arent a big industry. between all consoles sold of any 1 generation of consoles + steam users at that time you dont even have half a bil people playing games

video games are a industry that forces along technology much like servers. parallel processing wouldnt even be a thing if it were not for video games. its faster than serial at searching a lot of things since it does it all at 1 time.
ram wouldnt even be needed in gig increments if not for video games. you can render video for youtube with 512 mb of ram it just take a little longer. most users dont even need 32 nm chips to do what they do on computers/smartphones but the video game industry wants 10nm and intels dragging its feet

Do it, there is so much marxist propaganda in video games today we may as well have some of our own in the mix. Just don't make some mindless game for idiots like pokemon 2: the phantom poo.

>amount to nothing more than just escapism.
it's much worse than that.

under our (state)capitalist system all the companies making real money from videogames must effectively build human Skinner boxes. The primary focus in the industry is about engineering behavioral conditioning. Just giving rewards at the optimal time to maximize the playing time so that people will play the game even when it's not fun.

As for all the talk about making videogames 'art' that's complete bullshit. putting a story to a game doesn't make it art. Games should not to try to imitate films or theatre, and should focus on actually creating a fun game. If they were really making art they would not confine themselves to these archaic conventions and videogames would be exploring the aesthetics of computer generated images/sounds on their own merits.
As soon as you comply with the paradigm you are not really even making a game, you are just creating an iteration of the same shitty race or war that someone else made in a billion other games.

I understand why people think video game is degenerate, but if you do it for a living, is it still degenerate?

Apu listen to me. You must start a loo building company

pokemon 2: electric mouse boogaloo?

I want a Indian Street Shitting Simulator 2016

Do you want him to go bankrupt?

when videogames become art it will be when artists start making videogames. Pretty much everyone making videogames now are nerds that just play the damn things.

So film, music, and visual media is art, but somehow when you put these three things together it isn't? Fuck out of here.

youtu.be/rBwcqcC5VvE

you can call it art if you want but it's not really comparable to real art. It's fluff. Yes you can technically call it art, yes there is artistry involved, no it isn't really art. I don't think anyone with a real experience of art would say otherwise.

wow ive been avoiding watching world peace but one minute in this has convinced me to watch it right away

Make more games like DOOM where you don't have to fucking reload and you can carry as many weapons as you want and you are always sprinting.

It's a fucking video game, not a combat simulator.

>Can I help use videogames to promote a just cause?

Oh fuck off you fucking pussy.