Death Note (2017)

Wow. This was really, really, really bad.

I was a little annoyed at the fact that L's character is black, but I know that the actor playing him is decent so I thought that he'd pull through. But nope, whoever wrote the character of L in this movie deserves to have their name written in the Death Note. His character is absolutely nothing like the character from the anime. In fact not a single one of the characters, even Light's dad, is anything like they were in the anime.

The only sliver of hope in this film is Dafoe's voice performance for Ryuk, but even that couldn't save this film.

This is complete and utter trash. 0/10.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L_(Death_Note)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I actually thought L was one of the best parts of the film, until he goes unhinged, that is. Dafoe of course is 10/10
Light was weak through most of the movie, but the ending redeemed him in my eyes.
Chick sucked hard. The dad was ok.
Overall 6/10

>i gon get u whit boi

I haven't seen it. I loved it though.
10/10

This

Agreed on L, he tried bless him but then went off the rails batshit retarded.

6/10 though is just insane, this is 3 or 4, at best.

Why is antifa addressing the public?

Because that's how US works now. You have a problem with that? That makes you a nazi. You're now an enemy of the state.
All your belongings will be taken from you, your family will be sent to a Gulag and starved/raped to death.

Dude let's cast a good black actor for a Japanese character's role just for the sake of it and then completely fuck that character up by making him turn into a murdering and vengeful psychopath LMAO

>then completely fuck that character up by making him turn into a murdering and vengeful psychopath LMAO

It was poetry

>see at least 1 screenshot from this shit and expect it "might be good"

Heh, of course it is trash. You can tell it is trash simply from the image you posted and you don't even need to know anything about it or what it is based on.

>Chick sucked hard.
any moneyshots?

>murdering and vengeful psychopath

It's the american way. It be weird if he didn't.

AYO AYO HOL UP ONE SECONDO FA M
*checks wellfare
*doges job applications
WE WUZ ANIMAI AN SHIET

>let's make this black dude do black things
>"but sir, the character is Japa-"
>I don't give a shit!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1YxOe1L6I8

>Dude let's cast a good black actor for a Japanese character's role just for the sake of it

i'm not sure you understand how adaptations work, buddy.

Why didn't Light just rip the page out and burn it when he got the Death Note back?
How is the Death Note able to control the wind speed to move a page to specific point if can only control people?
Why did L show his face to Light? He had no reason to trust him enough to do that
How in the fuck did writing Watari's name even work? Is Watari his only name? Was it his birth name? Does the Death Note work with birth names of legal names? Would the Death Note work on Prince if someone just wrote Prince in it or would they need his full birth name? And what about when Prince's name was that symbol, would you have to draw that in the Death Note or would "the artist formerly known as Prince" work just as well?

L was british you retards

>making fun of Keith Stanfield

Go back to your containment board already.

You're right, how could we rely on Hollywood to find ONE Japanese actor to play a Japanese role.

I really enjoyed it. I don't watch anime or have autism, so I'm not forced to pick it apart. Normies win again!

Why'd the make light a average beta?
Why'd they make beta light back story so pathetic?

Part of the appeal of light as a character was that he was a model citizen with everything going for him and he death note makes him a paranoid, unhappy, megalomaniac. The shift from straight a honor student to serial killer.

Imo L can be unlikable, there is no charm to his character and he only serves as an obstacle for Light to overcome as we root for him.

Wingard went full retard.

>How in the fuck did writing Watari's name even work?
see pic related

I genuinely believe Wingard had a seizure somewhere into writing the first third of the movie and is literally retarded now.

>Why didn't Light just rip the page out and burn it when he got the Death Note back?
So that the director can show us how clever Light and his plan was.

>How is the Death Note able to control the wind speed to move a page to specific point if can only control people?
Plot magic.

>Why did L show his face to Light? He had no reason to trust him enough to do that
Because he thought that Light would never find out what his name his since not even Watari knew L's real name until he found it.

>How in the fuck did writing Watari's name even work? Is Watari his only name? Was it his birth name? Does the Death Note work with birth names of legal names? Would the Death Note work on Prince if someone just wrote Prince in it or would they need his full birth name? And what about when Prince's name was that symbol, would you have to draw that in the Death Note or would "the >artist formerly known as Prince" work just as well?
Plot magic. Realistically, Watari wouldn't be stupid enough to give out his real name, and also no one has just one name.

ah shit forgot the pic

Wingard went full retard.

>How in the fuck did writing Watari's name even work?
see pic related

I genuinely believe Wingard had a seizure somewhere into writing the first third of the movie and is literally retarded now.

>Why'd the make light a average beta?
Because the entire story was shifted to a high school teen movie plot.

Light being an average beta wasn't the problem, including L and Kira was.

This. Sup Forumsfags are embarrassing themselves again

So did L kill Light or not.

>L
>Japanese

>plebs and youtubers are comparing this to Dragonball Evolution
How delusional can this faggots be? That's not the case at all.
This movie was an above than average attempt at condesing and adapting a juvenile comic to please western sensibilities.
The makers were at least self-conscious about it, unlike that DB turd.

Probably.

If there's a sequel then he could have killed Light's dad.

>If there's a sequel then he could have killed Light's dad.

Fuck that actually makes sense given what Ryuk says.

>Dude lmao let's cast whiteboi as japanese character again and ruin it by turning him into complete beta cuck bitch

>Why'd the make light a average beta?

So that western audience would relate to him.

Please point out where it's shown that L is British.

L is british and Light is Japanese Chad. They got characters so goddamn wrong

one of the manga authors said he's like 1/4 brit

The overall "thematic arc", for what it is, is really all about teenage angst and how this kid is dealing with it. With humorous results.

>it wasn't like the source material
just rewatch/read it then

Wammy's school being in England is a good jumping off point

>one of the manga authors said he's like 1/4 brit
>one of the manga authors said
>one of the manga authors
>one of
>1/4 brit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L_(Death_Note)
>"he's English"

I said this in the Ghost in the Shell threads. Hollywood is unconformable with making films that don't throw their tropes and cliches in them.The average American people wouldn't side with raging psychopath who decided to kill people on the whim. So of course he had to be bullied.

xD nice frogpost!

Why do americans take well established characters and stories and turn them in something completely different but keep the most stupid things the same. Like Light's hair, that guy obviously has black hair but is dyed in blonde, how silly. Light's hair isn't important you shmuck

>So of course he had to be bullied.

Except he wasn't. He got hit for butting his nose in some shit in order to impress the popular chick.

If I had my way, I'd make light an aryan high school white boy senior with a god complex ready to go to some ivy to major in business (American psycho but in high school) so that the sex scenes mirror that movie

Making light beta made him so pathetic and gave the writers an excuse to do whatever
>hey, cumslut lemme show you my notebook
He should have been the dom and her the loving sub he used for his ends

that user forgot to mention it was the lead writer

>Ohba (main author alongside Obata) responded saying "I think of him as a quarter Japanese, a quarter English, a quarter Russian, a quarter French or Italian, like that"

>weeb just found out not everyone in anime is japanese

unless the show takes place in japan it doesn't make any sense to cast an asian actor.

contain your autism.

B-BUT MUH SOURCE MATERIAL...!

As someone who loved the anime I thought this was a shit adaptation, but I feel like if I went in blind this is a watchable shitty gore movie kinda like Final Destination. The characters were laughably different. I was pretty disappointed with L, one of my favorite characters of all time. Calm cool and calculated to a standard loose cannon detective. The shit with Watari was so stupid. By that logic Light could have just written "L" in the death note because apparently nick names work

This
I found myself siding with ryuk when he would talk shit to light

>Calm cool and calculated to a standard loose cannon detective.

Watari and L should have been replaced with "New detective character and his partner", in order to keep the story smaller scaled.

wtf isnt the first time l talks in public actually a decoy

Light found the loophole in the director's asian casting of Watari

Not in this movie lmao

that first T in seattle is off centre and its driving me nuts

GUYS THIS IS SERIOUS PLEASE ANSWER ME:
So Misa wrote Light's name in the death note and told him about it, telling him to give her the ownership and she'll burn the page.
Light went to check the death note, and there it was, the page with his name on it.
Now, two scenarios:
>think about an impossible keikaku involving rule violation (misa only dies if she grabs the notebook, when it's stated that if your name is written you die regardless), a fight with the police (including telling L about the notebook), a fall from a wheel, almost drowning, coma, and getting the death note delivered where everyone can see and intercept it, and later reveal to your father (head of police) that you are guilty
>rip the page, burn it, write misa's name, go back to the prom, dance with her, and as she gets a heart attack and looks at you realizing what you've done you smirk and whisper to her "just as keikaku", keeping the death note a secret known only by you
Answer me, which route was chosen?

This guy is really a hack, jesus christ, he literally doesn't give a shit about the movie or anything and tried to make a comedy out of it, thing is even then it doesn't work

What an asshole, fuck this guy, he's gonna fuck Kong vs Godzilla too

All you L fanboys are pathetic. His isn't even a character.

Who gives a shit, that's okay to change, other things are not, like what makes Death Note interesting or compelling

>>think about an impossible keikaku involving rule violation (misa only dies if she grabs the notebook, when it's stated that if your name is written you die regardless), a fight with the police (including telling L about the notebook), a fall from a wheel, almost drowning, coma, and getting the death note delivered where everyone can see and intercept it, and later reveal to your father (head of police) that you are guilty

Almost none of that was part of the plan.
The plan was:

>survive
>get the book back
>kill MIsa

>thing is even then it doesn't work
Bullshit, this movie is hilarious

Matt master race

did your brain turn off for the "big reveal" at the end that Light had it all planned and written out?

>absolutely nothing like the character from the anime
and that's alright. who the fuck watches anime? who the fuck wants actual movies to be "just like anime"? I never watched the death note anime but I know this live action was a huge improbment, simply because it wasn't animated by basement dwelling pedophile japs.

There's funny elements but they are all over the place

The smoothest part of the turd.

>did your brain turn off for the "big reveal" at the end that Light had it all planned and written out?

Yeah, and here's what he wrote, and in order

>survive
"A doctor saves me after I fall from the Ferris Wheel"
>get the book back
"another dude finds the book and gives it back to me"
>kill Misa
"Misa dies when she takes the book"

t. Adam Wingard

>Why didn't Light just rip the page out and burn it when he got the Death Note back?
In all fairness it was actually a good play since he managed to be in a coma and to the eyes of investigators he was not Kira since he was also not capable of killing people while in a hospital bed.

>until he goes unhinged

That was the part I liked though, this L is far too emotional to the point he's willing to chase Lighto with a gun to kill him and that chase scene was fun

not it was retarded why isnt the nigger dead

because Zimmerman was aquitted

Please tell me this is a fucking joke.

Fuck this movie so goddamn much.

Light is a dumb fucking emotional cuck

The bitch is fucking smarter then Light

L is just a god mode character that randomly gets new information about who Kira is whenever he feels like it, without needing to do any work for it

Ryuk 10/10

Yeah hes so fucking smart, like when he told a member of the Kira investigation team that he was Kira and offered to show him how he does it

Smart Character!

>The bitch is fucking smarter then Light

She knocked a guy out and then stole his wallet. She wasn't smart, she was just more of a thug.

Smarter then anything light did

Yep. L's actor actually did a good job, but he couldn't save the nonsensical writing for his character.

film is kino experimental work

plebs won't understand it

L is Eurasian, hence the autism.

It's like The Room but with good cinematography

>film ends on cliffhanger of L killing Light's dad
>never going to see the outcome of cliffhanger because Death Note 2 will never be green-lighted

I don't know whether I should be glad or disappointed.

KEK

that fucking Star Wars gun. Why? Oh and you're 100% right OP. This movie was pure fucking garbage. The anime isn't even that great but this makes it look like a masterpiece.

>I'm blind to flaws, now delete this thread!

>film ends on cliffhanger of L killing Light's dad
The cliffhanger is L killing Light

L is a 1/4 English, French, Russian and Japanese from Britain.

L is clearly unsure as to whether he should kill Light or not. Ryuk's final words in the film: "you humans are so interesting" shows that L wants to get back at Light in one way or another, and also wants to bring him to justice instead of just kill him.

So what does he do? He kills his dad. Light doesn't know that L has a page of the Death Note, and as far as Light concerned he's got the entire book under his pillow. Now he will blame either himself or Ryuk for the death of his father while still on the run from L.

Oh, or his dead girlfriend. Since he realized she really was batshit crazy and really would have killed his dad if it meant saving their asses.

Naw, that's not in his character. Lights father was a good, innocent man. L wouldn't kill him just to get revenge on light. I'm of the opinion that he used the page to kill light. Hence why we see him looking at the picture of light several times and light looking so freaked out when ryuk shows up and says his last line.

>anime
>anime adaptations
both are barely worse than capeshit

Negro L confirmed for junior mason and mkultra victim. Illuminati confirmed

Black L was the least of this movie problems. It missed the point of the entire story, ruined all the characters except for Ryuk (who has Chucky Doll's face for some reason), was fucking stupid on its own to the point of being a parody, and looked like a cheap-ass garbage. Not to mention the shitty soundtrack.

The final "showdown" between L and Kira is a fucking marathon where they push away more people when kill with the Note on-screen. How's that for your "mind battle", detective?
Also, I'm from fucking Russia and I don't think there is a single fucking person here named "Kira". There is a common name "Kirill" here, but It's either Greek or Persian name and neither version means "Light". Even if I'm wrong here, it still was a useless piece of trivia and they could have gone straight to "Japanese misleading" stuff instead of brining in more useless shit.

Honestly, this movie was fucking insufferable.

Lets hope Ryan Gosling gets casted as Matt in the sequel and plays a staring role.

The movie does a terrible job at adapting the source material. It's a pretty okay movie though 6/10

>Sequel will be Kira/L vs. Near/Mello
Now I kind of want to watch that...

Wouldn't anime L act all autistic about having candy all over the dirty floor?

>Matsuda isn't in this film