Is Candyman horror kino?

Is Candyman horror kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/jasher/19.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=FjUdh91y0hU
youtube.com/watch?v=tvg6JTMyqDY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Definitely. The inner city gothic horror atmosphere is terrific and really unique.

Scared the shit outta me when I was 8.

It makes for a terrifying environment because that's what life in the projects is actually like.

Nothing scarier than real life.

It almost reminds me of Jacobs Ladder

What were the bees suppose to signify? I never got it.

>End of school term
>Teacher wheeled in TV + VHS player
>Put on Candyman, never watched it
>Scene at the beginning of the film when Blondie is walking around the projects
>She peers through a window when SUDDENLY dog barking jump scare
>makes me... well jump... entire class laughs and calls me a pussy
>it's months and months before people forget

FUCKING CANDYMAN

did this film inspire the mirror myth?

Love Virginia Madsen

remember the scene with the mural of candyman's origin? those pictures still creep me out.

IIRC the story they tell in the movie about the woman being killed by an attacker through her wall was based on a real incident at Cabrini-Green.

Absolutely. If the studio hadn't fucked over Bernard Rose and tried to turn it into more of a slasher movie, it would probably be regarded as highly as The Shining. There's a lot of subtext and depth to movie that most people seem to miss because they think of it as a dumb B-movie about a killer ghost. It's really about urban legend, the power of belief, racism, and inner-city poverty.

The story in the movie about a woman being murdered by people coming through he bathroom mirror actually happened. Chicago projects were actually built with that open space and gangs would use them to rob people and escape cops; the actual story happened pretty much exactly like the movie's version. Apparently, her house had been broken into several times and the cops never took her seriously.

He was smeared in stolen honey and the bees stung him to death. He uses the same bees to scare the shit outta people as some ironic sense of humor.

No, it's basically a rip off of Blood Mary.

She and Gillian Anderson could be sisters.

That story is from a medieval forgery of the supposed lost Book of Jasher from the Bible. The actual book has never been found, but a few forgeries have come up, and this one (which was among the more popular of them) is about Sodom and Gomorrah before they're destroyed. In the story, a princess of Sodom helps out a wounded traveler, and to punish her, the residents of the city beat her, smear her in honey, and let bees sting her death.

The story is re-used for the same purpose in the movie: to show people in a bad environment being shitty to each other. The bees are a symbol of that.

Eh...

SAVE THE BEES —THE CANDYBRINGERS, THE POLLINATORS.

FIERY KILLERS WILL COME DOWN ON YOU, PERSECUTE YOU, AND POISON YOU TO DEATH — BEHOLD, THE BUZZING FURY —SWEET DEATH!

Yes it is.
Moving on, what user thinks of the SHOCKER?

is it true that you shouldn't look into the mirror for to long? when i do, the longer i watch the more i feel weird. asking for myself

Not calling you a liar I just want to see some more of this do you have a source? I'm really Intrested in this.

i liked it. not great but it was competent enough for me to enjoy

It was hilarious.

I like it more than the jump elm street movies even though they're pretty similar

Remember when Ted Raimi turned up as the cool boyfriend?

go home ernest

sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/jasher/19.htm

Verses 36-44. It's actually presented as the inciting incident that makes God send the angels down. I don't exactly have proof that Bernard Rose was referencing this passage specifically, since he never mentioned it, but it's exactly the same story, and I've never come across another story that fits so closely. It was certainly added for a reason, because it wasn't part of Barker's original story, and everything else Rose added had a pretty clear point.

Great movie with a hauntingly beautiful Philip Glass score.

youtube.com/watch?v=FjUdh91y0hU

Nice i have something to read tonight! Thamks user.

watched it when I was 7 and never watching it again. Movie scared the shit outta me

Make me.

Always thought evil prison ernest was hot af.
and then i ended up on Sup Forums

>hauntingly beautiful Philip Glass score.
Glass didn't initially want to do the score for the movie. Bernard Rose had to get in touch with him and explain that he wasn't really making a horror movie, and that he actually wanted to make something that was an exploration of racism and the fear that perpetuates poverty in the inner city. Glass liked the sound of that and agreed, only to get pissed off when the studio took control of the movie near the end of production; he apparently hated the final cut of the movie and was ashamed he had done the music for it until he started getting the royalty checks. When approached to get hired for the (terrible) sequel, he only agreed after he was offered a shitload of money. Today, he still acts like the studio betrayed him with the first movie and mostly seems to think of the score as nothing but a royalty generator.

Why dont modern horror films go for unique scores?

>Candyman thread with no memes
I'll be damned. Guess it's time for another viewing, I've only seen it once and all I remember is that it made me feel dirty and stressed out.

tell me more about these "memes"

>black guy was killed by white men for having a relationship with a a white woman
>it's Sup Forums

I think you can figure it out.

great theme
youtube.com/watch?v=tvg6JTMyqDY

I'm sure most people are going to think I'm full of shit, but I'm of the opinion that the Candyman's backstory was probably not supposed to be true. By the time we hear it, we've already heard different, contradictory accounts of him (most obviously, the black cleaning lady in the beginning of the movie say that story with Ted Raimi is wrong), the story isn't really presented seriously (it's an arrogant professor trying to make someone look stupid), and it doesn't really make sense. Was it supposed to happen on a plantation in meat-packing-era Chicago, or was the story supposed to take place in the south (which would be obvious), and somehow someone brought Candyman's remains to Chicago for no reason? On top of that, no names, or anything specific are mentioned, and the story is a pretty fundamental cliche of the Jim Crow era.

It's just presented as an urban legend that the professor has heard about, and that the people in Cabrini Green have attributed to him. And it makes a lot of sense in that context because it makes Candyman an embodiment of racism. As that, he works very well as a metaphor for what's keeping the residents of Cabrini Green living in poverty and fear until they symbolically kill him at the end of the movie.

Good theory. You're right, that flashback doesn't really seem like it took place in Chicago.