Death Note

>Anime: Light is a cold, ruthless sociopath with a genius level intellect
>Movie: Light tells the girl that he has a crush on that he has a book that can kill people

I can't imagine anyone that liked the anime would enjoy this movie. The assassinated both Light and L's characters.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DXGfOqUWtNk&feature=youtu.be&t=3s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's just an adaptation man, jesus

It looks like a fucking comedy

youtube.com/watch?v=DXGfOqUWtNk&feature=youtu.be&t=3s

It is a comedy

Why even make it when you can't have the epic score from the show?

L wasn't too bad

>>hiring cumskins and literal nigger to play Japanese characters

they could've atleast hired some decent actors or atleast cast light and L as Asian,no wonder the show is shit

It's almost like the Light in the anime was a representation of Japanese youth and the pressures that come with that and the Light in the film was a representation of an American youth and the pressures that cone with that or something... Hmm...

Light was actually better than I expected. Not on par with the original but the actor gave a decent effort. Nat Wolff gave a serviceable performance despite the characterization flaws.

the actor who played bLack wasn't bad, the thing that ruined him was the script and shit story

The entire thing stinks of being run through the hollywood machine. The main character is the villain?! That can't work! We have to disneyfy the crap out of this and give him a sympathetic background! Better kill one of his parents before the story starts and make him an emo idiot. The fans will LOVE that!

I honestly don't see how you can defend this movie. They clearly just wanted to cash in on Death Note's fame without doing their due diligence. So they went on wikipedia, read a synopsis of the show and then made some retarded teen drama about a kid who finds a book that can kill people.

I agree. But honestly him being black was a really bad idea. His hair and lips when eating candy made me cringe
Trying not to be racist about it cause he was the only one who really tried to act like his character and he did do a really good job being L for as much as the script allowed him

Light is still a villain. Killing his mom doesn't change that.

But light in the anime and movie are not supposed to be the average japanese or american. Light is supposed to be exceptionally smart, attractive, and well liked

That wasn't it at all. Light was meant to represent the perfect student who bought into his own hype.

>Light in the movie is not meant to be average

Except he is in the movie. The story has changed from being a cat and mouse to being one about teen angst and a bit about growing up.

>Anime: How Light sees himself.
>Movie: How others see Light.

Which is why people hate the movie.. hmm...

>original japanese version
acts like a japanese nerd
>american version
acts like an american nerd

WOAH WHAT A SHOCK

@86919405
Nice try

At worst he's an antihero. He never kills anyone who doesn't deserve it. Mia is the one who killed all those FBI agents. She's also the one who ripped out the page with Watari's name in it which prevented Light from stopping his death. Light is no worse than someone like Rambo who is still considered the hero despite the fact that he killed hundreds of people.

The movie is a mess because the game kept too much from the manga.

White people and niggers ruin everything. American media needs to stop

Except the reception seems pretty mixed like some people like and others don't.. hmm...

>cu... can.. i?
>can I.... kiss..
>*blushes*
>death note falls out of pocket followed by spaghetti
>can i kiss you?

Anime: Light is a weirdo who is somehow the literal #1 student in the country despite living a quiet suburban life where he waxes poetic about god and the nature of man, real neckbeard shit and decides to kill people without remorse within 10 mins of having the book

Movie: he's a high school kid with insecurities and wants to get his dick wet

It's almost like the anime is some grotesque caricature of intellectualism so the writers can pontificate about god and the nature of evil while the movie is about a kid with a death note.

You must not have been in the other hundred of deathnote threads.. or havent checked the rt score.. hmm..

As someone who hasn't seen the anime, the movie was fine. It had some good twists that I didn't see coming. I thought they would both die, L ending up with the extra page and almost using it.

To be fair, asians don't have souls and their schooling is different so the Japanese depiction isn't all that inaccurate.

They should have made movie like a college freshman.

which is why nobody likes it

I blame the fact that it doesn't know what it wants to do. It sets up a lower key story and still puts in L scenes that come off retarded because Light is now just a kid.

Getting rid of L solves a lot of problems.

I just finished it and I totally expected to hate it. I only even watched it because gf wanted to watch it.

But I must say I didn't think it was horrible trash. It engaged me and I kinda enjoyed it a little.

It's not a direct adaptation so forget trying to compare the two. But if you think of it like a based on a true story where it borrows some of the elements of a story and makes its own thing then you might enjoy it.

Watched it right now. I liked it very much. It's not high art, not perfect, but I think it was very well done compared to how it could have gone and of all the possibilities this could have turned out this was probably among the very top notch. It deserves much of the critique it gets but a big part of it is people who are contrarian and just like the manga too much. It's a great manga, so comparably the movie will be worse, but it's not a fair comparison because the movie is good too

I expect the weebs here to have a hissyfit and also expect them to spam RT with negative reviews. I'm seeing a good mix of people who liked it and who did not.

Who the fuck thinks rambo is a hero? He killed a bunch of cops because he was picked on a little. He's a fucking psychopath. Do you also think the punisher is a hero? lmao.

>but muh antihero
Just a different want to say villain.

>what is sociopathy

>what is a nerd power fantasy

I don't believe that it's possible to like this movie if you liked the anime. It uses the Death Note name but completely changes all the characteristics that made the anime great.

>All this analysis
How do I know it was shit without even seeing it?

I liked Heathers, which is pretty much what this movie was ripping off.

>498th buttblasted weeb thread in the last 24 hours

We get it, man. We just don't give a fuck.

Exactly. That's why the new movie sucks. It made Light generic as fuck and removed everything unique about him.

Rambo actually only kills one person in First Blood. It was after that he became a killing machine.
Did he even kill cops in part II? I haven't watched it in a long time.

The point was never whether they deserved to die or not, it was to ask the question of who gets to decide who lives and who dies and who should have that power. Light is a villain because he manipulates the people around him throughout the whole series to do his bidding and save his own ass. Also I don't know what the random comparison to Rambo is for, in the first movie Rambo barely kills anybody except for that guy who fell out of the helicopter, and in the sequels he's just a soldier fighting other soliders so it would be expected that he would be shooting them.

Honestly Light's death is more satisfying in the manga because it ends with him asking for everybody he knew to help him when there was nobody left after he fucked them all over. It's about the price of hubris and pride.

Then listen to the verified critics on rt that rate the movie a 4/10

The show and the movie are trash for completely separate reasons.

The movie is fun to watch, bad to think about,
The show is bad to watch but fun to think about.

Rambo didn't kill a single cop in First Blood. One cop died because he was an overzealous retard who fell out of the helicopter he was shooting at Rambo from.

As opposed to generic anime boy with a God complex?

Yeah I can't take them seriously with titles like "A whitewashed mess".

it looked cyberpunk as hell. fucking seattle, neon lights, rain. Whats not to like.
Dafoe steals the show
The ending is fucking stupid

and light's dad is a retard

I like this Light's death if L used the paper.

He spends the whole movie trying to work through the problems he hasn't with his dad vicariously through the Note, and wants out the second shit goes sour.

And the moment he finally accomplishes all that and understand his dad - utterly fucked because of events he set into motion and could have avoided had he acted less rashly.

They kept this scene right?

Lol
Yiu literally stole this from a tweet

>He never kills anyone who doesn't deserve it.
Criminals all deserve to die? There's a reasonable utilitarian argument to be made, that his actions ultimately are good, because of the impact on society they have, but if they were isolated and had no run on consequences then they are not. Maybe a few of these people deserve to die, but say the room in the yakuza nightclub where everyone is massacred or the guy who acts in his name during the coma to kill unspecific criminals who appear on the news, some of these people don't deserve to die, although killing them might be justified.

no. of course not

Nope. Really no way they could've, with this version of the character.

Did I? I dont have twitter. Are you implying people can't come to similar conclusions? Don't be an idiot.

His first kill was just a bully.

Part of his last conversation with his dad is him coming to terms with the fact that he fucked up by thinking in black and white. At the start he mocks his dad for not upholding justice and being a bad cop, and so the Note is his way of showing up his dad.

It's a nice moment between the two of them when Light realizes that his dad was right. Things are complex and they can see eye to eye.

I don't understand why he sent watari off to find L's name.

>Watari visits L and after seeing L quickly reaches into his pocket and pulls out a gun, he shoots L in the face then turns the gun on himself and shoots himself in the head

Would have made much more sense

There are rules to prevent that from happening.

>An American remake of quality foreign media is garbage
So what's new?

Sure thing, Adam.

The point is someone who goes around killing criminals usually isn't considered a villain in works of fiction. Paul Kersey in Death Wish would probably have been a better example than Rambo. He's considered to be an antihero not a villain.

He can control a piece of paper to fly into a fire but not make watari shoot L?

Shit, that's a good catch

They wanted to visit the orphanage to build the world of the film, so they can introduce Near (Quvenzhané Wallis) and Mello (Jaden Smith) in the sequel.

Yes. Watari would have dropped dead before he could pull the trigger.

In an American story, what makes him a villain is not killing criminals, but aspiring to be God.

Ok I'm going to need some reason you think this.

people seems to like Edge of Tomorrow though. Now hollywood wants to cash in on anime adaptations with Kite, Ghost in the Shell, and this shit

The only thing that really killed it for me was the climax. Everything on the farris wheel was awkward as fuck, from the acting to the music choice to the slow motion.

There's a rule in the anime/manga that if you set up a person's death in the Death Note so there will necessarily be any secondary deaths as a result, the person whose name is written will just die of a heart attack instead of doing any of the shit you told them to do.

I'm not sure they ever introduce this rule in the movie, though.

So why was Mia able to command the FBI agent to write other peoples names in the death note effectively killing them?

Not that guy, but if i am not mistaken you can't cause the death of someone using a another person if you don't write the name in the Note.
I think it's one of the rules in the anime.

They never introduce the rule in the movie and ryuk even suggests he influences watari to have been shot as opposed to the anime where if no cause was written then heart attack was the cause

Light was never the villain. it's like people don't understand what an antihero is.

What moron thinks somebody as irrelevant and untalented as Nat Wolff could've fit the part for Light? I agree much more with the Zac Efron = Light meme.

After seeing all the talk here about I just marathoned it and what fucking pile of garbage that shit was. Most anons were saying that the anime was better and thats not hard to believe because this shit flat out sucked. When it was over I literally said to myself "well that was a waste" nothing about that was interesting enough to even recall a scene and say "well that was cool but." Jesus that was bad.

Because their names where actually put into the Death Note. L's was not so it could not be used to have Watari shoot him. Light would still need L's real name to make it to work.

>get power to kill ANYONE
>immediately tell ugly bitch your secret
>she controls your actions you do with YOUR fucking new power
who the fuck writes this shit??

So basically if Light wasn't retarded he would have just written that Watari comes to his house, takes a page of the Death Note, goes to the abandoned orphanage, finds L's real name, writes it in the page, and then kills himself.

the death note is light's penis and how he let's it control his life.

You got me there. That would have been a much better plan. Assuming he could do it in time.

As much as I hate Black L, I cant help but think he would actually be a pretty cool replacement for Samuel L Jackson

>movie gets a free past with pop culture critics because it's netflix
I guarantee new Ghostbusters would get a free pass if Netflix, HBO or maybe even Marvel did it. Anyone who believes mainstream popular opinion is based on any kind of meritocracy the past 5 years is a retard. At least 10 years ago with movies like Transformers it was the movies with the biggest budgets, best stunts and special effects that got people into cinemas even if the movies were shit. There was a consistency based on something real.

How come they need L's real name but not Watari's? I assume Watari has a last name?

it's just a thread. Jesus.

Is it plebbish to keep comparing the anime with the movie 'cause Death Note started as a manga.

Um, don't you know Japanese people only have one name?

The most interesting thing about this movie was me trying to figure out whether they had a practical effect for Ryuk in some scenes

Poor writing. Watari had a real name in the manga and anime.

>representation
Why do you think this? Light Turner doesn't represent me.

FBI agents were tailing Light.
Light would not be able to have Watari meet him without raising suspicion.

Then what's L's excuse for being a moron? He's supposed to be the best detective in the world.

The most interesting thing for me was figuring out that Watari also voices Hanzo

why the fuck is this scene not cut
how did this make it into the movie?