Orthodox General

Those who are Orthodox, or have an interest in Orthodoxy, post here
youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IomxvOTf-So
youtube.com/watch?v=JGgW6Rgqy3E
oodegr.co/english/filosofia/nihilism_root_modern_age.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

where does logic and rationality stand in orthodoxy?

Since "Logos" not only means "word", but also "logic" and "reason", it's a bit difficult to say. If you mean dianoia, it's used sometimes in polemical theology and exegesis, but generally the mode of thinking is more like Zen or Confucianism.

all kike worshipers should be hanged

>The word kike was born on Ellis Island when there were Jewish migrants who were also illiterate (or could not use Latin alphabet letters). When asked to sign the entry-forms with the customary "X", the Jewish immigrants would refuse, because they associated an X with the cross of Christianity. Instead, they drew a circle as the signature on the entry-forms. The Yiddish word for "circle" is kikel (pronounced ky-kul), and for "little circle", kikeleh (pronounced ky-kul-uh). Before long the immigration inspectors were calling anyone who signed with an "O" in place of an "X" a kikel or kikeleh or kikee or, finally and succinctly, kike.[5]

"Judaism", as the term is used today, refers to Pharisees.

>Rabbinic Judaism or Rabbinism (Hebrew: יהדות רבנית Yahadut Rabanit) has been the mainstream form of Judaism since the 6th century CE, after the codification of the Babylonian Talmud. Growing out of Pharisaic Judaism,

Jesus was a hebrew, he worshiped the hebrew god and all his sect is based on fulfilling the myths written in the hebrew texts and hebrew mythology is based on Mesopotamian bronze age myths.
Your religion is foreign, barbaric and a plague in western civilization and it will go extinct in the modern world. Accept reality and stop losing your time on your badly compiled kike poetry collection

It's the true religion, back when pagans were endorsing homosexuality, Judaism (by that I mean REAL Judaism, which Christianity is the successor of) knew it was wrong.

>hurr durr muh dejeneruccy!!

lmao, is that your only argument? faggots? literally no one cares about faggots. Greeks invented everything that made western civilization great and they were faggots. I prefer to be a civilized faggot than a barbaric kike worshiper following bronze age dogmas written by mushroom tripping rabbis

Wow, that graph really makes me think.

Western civilization's greatness is morality more than anything else. Look at the West today, all sorts of technology, but we just use it for sexual fantasies and hedonism, and we are becoming weaker and weaker due to decadence and depravity.

Tempted to switch from Catholicism to Orthodoxy but I don't think I could commit to fasting. Halp.

My last name is Greek in origin and my ancestors were in Syriac Orthodox. If I want to go back what should I do?

there is nothing original in the bible about morality. Christian morals were based on the Greek philosophy of stoicism, which the new testament writers were influenced from.

>Look at the West today, all sorts of technology, but we just use it for sexual fantasies and hedonism, and we are becoming weaker and weaker due to decadence and depravity

why are religious tards always obsessed with sex? sex is natural and won't destroy you. Your whole argument is just a huge slippery slope based on your phobia of sex, which somehow in your delusional mind will destroy all civilization

The Jews didn't join Christ. He WAS the their messiah

I have been to the many Orthodox births and funerals, and listened liturgy in Old Greek as well as in Church Slavonic many times. My name is also pretty Byzantine.

Anyway, I claim that you CAN NOT have authentic Orthodox faith outside of Serbia, or Greece, or Bulgaria, or Russia, or Georgia...
Orthodox faith is very.... local. There are a lot of customs and things done differently. And it is all tied to the fierce patriotism and nationalism. I have a hard time describing the atmosphere but, basically, we are all just cells of an organism, just organs in the body. Everyone has a very clear role.

All females wear a scarf. All males recite certain parts. All females other certain parts. We all eat bread and drink wine. There is order. Order 2000 years old. 1st century Christian would walk into a church in.. Syracusa or wherever, and 21st century Christian would walk into the church in.. Serbia or wherever, and the door would face the east, Christ icon would be here, this would be there, alter would look exactly the same, everything would be 100% the same.

Catholic faith is a joke. Pure socio-economic and political heresy. Burning people alive? Crusading? Inquisition? Tax? These are some very anti-Christian teachings......... and protestants arent even a religion. That is a family experience. Not religion.

Serb out.

only know a few people who do the whole fasting thing

Well you generally have to do it for a while before you can convert. You might as well try

Stoicism doesn't stress contrition, what are you talking about.

Orthodox Christianity was founded by Christ in Jerusalem.

What you're advocating is called "phyletism", and it is a heresy in Orthodoxy

Yeah, but that's in your country where Orthodoxy is the default religion, so it's almost ethnic. Most Jews don't eat Kosher either. Over here though, Orthodoxy is a bit different, especially in parishes which are convert-heavy

Orthodox christianity retard

> And it is all tied to the fierce patriotism and nationalism

I wouldn't say so. Those notions are contrary to Orthodox faith.

>Well you generally have to do it for a while before you can convert. You might as well try

Funny thing is, I was actually baptized and got confirmation as an Orthodox Christian, but I went to Catholic school(dad is Orthodox, mom is Catholic). I also got first communion in 2nd grade at a Catholic church, so I had been more or less following Catholicism. But wouldn't "converting" be relatively simply since I was already baptised in an Orthodox church?

Are you saying that over there religious gatherings in the open arent basically a congregation of the most nationalistic people in the country?

I mean I dont know. We Serbs had to hold Orthodoxy dear, as part of our identity (Catholic = Croat, Muslim = Bosniak, Orthodox = Serb), but pretty sure you guys too use the holy water to bless your artillery and basically everything else like this.

We have a distinct culture, westerners do not do this kind of thing.

No, they're actually very popular among the Orthodox. Saying the Orthodox Church is only for people of certainly nations is, however, extremely contrary and sufficient for excommunication if a priest hears it and you refuse to repent.

You'll have to make Confession for all sins since your last Orthodox Confession, as well as do the penance of an apostate. But obviously, no, you won't have to go through the catechumen business.

For many people in Eastern Europe Orthodoxy is just a part of national identity. But for those who deeply think about their faith, it's not. In faith itself there's nothing ethnic, as one man told you before, to think your ethnicity is better than other is heresy in Orthodox faith.

> you guys too use the holy water to bless your artillery and basically everything else like this

That's an old tradition, it just looks strange because the weapons are modern.

Yeah, to the Orthodox, it's no stranger than blessing a sword.

Its just that to other Christians, their religion does not have to do very much with national and ethnic identity.

We over here all had to deal with Ottomans and all kind of shit, so our religion naturally.. adapted. I doubt Christ told us to bless weapons with holy water anywhere in the bible. I've read gospel according to all 4 of apostles long time ago..

Holy Water is used for blessing things in Numbers 5:17

The Orthodox don't apply it exclusively to weapons, they bless a ton of things with holy water. My parish is doing the cars of parishioners next month.

My grandpa was born in 1908. We didn't know he spoke Russian until right before he died. He also told my grandmother he was Orthodox. What are the odds he's somehow from Eastern Europe?

He lived in an orphanage in Massachusetts up until he was 18. We know nothing beyond that.

Hm

Is Orthodoxy Evangelical? If I had to guess I'd say it was pretty closely tied to Ethnicity and Nationality.

?

And what about Ethiopia you cunt.

Yes, though the Antiochian Orthodox are the only ones who are extremely successful at it, at least here. That's because they have all their services in English and when a Protestant congregation wants to convert, they don't force them to spend a half-a-million dollars reconstructing their parish. Also they have several Western Rites.

HaHa, salty Brit.

You'll never be one of them Nigel.

lmfao

Are none Slavic or traditional congregations regarded as Equals by the Eastern Church?

Finnish Russian Orthodox here.

Family fled Russia during the Bolshevik Revolution.

Though they originated in St.Petersburg, they had to get out by travelling south to Crmiea, across the Red Sea only to then have to spend years in Turkish internment camps.

They finally got out and made there way North through Europe and finally arrived in Finland almost a decade later.

Only legacy is a red russian gold crucifix worn around the neck at baptism, both of which where apparently sold, stolen etc many times only to be reaquired with great effort and nigh miracles.

Grsndfather grew to sdulthood in Finland and helped defend Finland in the Winter and Continuation Wars.

There are many such Russian origin families here, and we have integrated well, are proud to have Finnish nationality. We keep our origin mostly to ourselves and our church culture is beautiful.

Most such families changed their names to Finnish ones, inorder to integrate better. Such as Nevsky being chanhed to Nelskylä.

My grsndfather chose to keep his Russian surname, was promoted i the field to sergeant, was on the frontlines in several battles, andmworked also as an interpreter (as he spoke Russian and Finnish, as well as English).

There is a definite sense of solidarity and shared origin, as well as endured tribulations, when we gather for the Easter service.

If you are ever in Helsinki, feel free to to visit the
St. Nicholas Orthodox Parish in Hietaniemi, as long as you are respectful.

What do you mean "regarded as equals"?

Thank you for posting, and thank you for the story!

I mean it's a tendency for the originators of anything to regard emulators as of a secondary order.

is that clear enough?

>Red Sea
Correction, Black sea.

Always get those two mixed up.

das raciss

Orthodoxy is de-centralized, under a system of "equal" patriarchates, of which the ecumenical patriarchate of Constantinople is an honorary first among equals (owing to its historical location as a meeting point for patriarchs to discuss church affairs)

Slavic/Russian orthodoxy is primarily under the partiarchate of Moscow. However there are numerous autocephalous patriarchates spread throughout the Balkans and the area of historical orthodoxy.

Converts aren't seen as imitators. The people who look down on them are always the ones who don't practice the faith, and get irritated because converts are zealous and when converts get into the clergy (70% of the Antiochian clergy in North America are now converts), they crack down really hard on nominal Orthodox.

Religion is for cucks.

I don't have an Orthodox Church near where I live and I can't afford to travel. What do?

Send an email to Ancient Faith Ministries, ask them to put a mission near you. Missions don't take very long to establish.

For those who are a part of the church, what makes it stand out to you in particular in comparison with the other churches?

For those not raised in it why did you choose orthodox instead of other churches (as well as greek/russian though I've heard the difference isn't that great.)

> nominal Orthodox

What's this mean?

You just don't get it son. One day, at the end of your short existence on this planet, you'll be forced to contemplate your mortality and the Eternity of oblivion that faces you. None of your friends or family will be able to console you and all your achievements and all your positions will count for nothing as you finally come to terms with the ultimate question of who are you and what was your purpose. I don't think you'll spend much time dwelling on the irreverence you characterised your early adult life with because contemplating death deos something to you, it grounds you. It allows you to see what's really important in *life* and the reason we die.

When that time comes you'll ask the only one who can comfort you through this experience and despite your insolence and the ridicule you regurgitate from "comedians" and other hubris infected 'celebrities', God will comfort you.

Greek, Russian, and so on, are which bishops have jurisdiction. It's all One Church. We just define our unity be a common faith instead of a Pope.

Orthodox Church stands out because the same style of theology is used today was was used a thousand years ago, and was used by the Apostles. Orthodoxy has very unique doctrinally, but the most unique thing about it is the mindset (which is a doctrinal thing, but difficult to express, it's more lived and taught over time).

"Nominal" means "in name only".

think he is saying some converts are zealous and piss off the more laid-back clergy/congregations.

Orthodoxy overall is far more relaxed than Catholicism. The Church acts as an intermediary of convenience and service between Man and God, rather than the arbitrator of Gods will on Earth, as in Catholicism.

Orthodoxy seems to be more strictly ritualistic though. It seems to have a deeper reverence than either Protestantism or Catholicism. I'm confused why you would claim it's more relaxed.

Can you explain a bit more?

I still don't know what exactly the orthodox church does. It seems that the only thing they do is sing songs , light candles and occasionally bash some faggots

youtube.com/watch?v=IomxvOTf-So

hello

Its ritualistic like Catholicism, but more relaxed like Protestantism.

The rituals are just a procedure/format, but the relationship to God and to the Church of its adherents is more like in Protestantism.

Fairly accurate summation.

He means it's not legalistic or juridical. There is a lot of ritual, but even the ritual is not legalistic in a uniform sense, a lot of it is up to the bishop's discretion. For instance, we don't believe Christ died to be punished by God in mankind's place ("satisfaction theory of atonement"), we subscribe to Christus Victor. We don't see things as juridical. Can people outside the Church be saved? We don't claim to know. In the Catholic Church, there used to be a thing called "penance manuals" that prescribed particular penances for particular sins, and the priest would use these manuals for reference in Holy Confession. We never had that, it was always something up to the priest's discretion, he was more of a doctor prescribing medicine than a judge.

We have a story about a monk who was very lazy and all the other monks thought very little of him, they were worried he wouldn't make to heaven because he was a spiritual slacker. On his deathbed, he was suddenly delighted, and they asked what it was, and he said he saw an angel. The angel asked him what good deeds he did, and he said he could not think of any, though he never once in his whole life judged anyone. The angel immediately ripped up the list of all his sins, and said, "Then neither will you be judged." The monk related this with joy to his brothers right before passing. This monk is now commemorated as a saint, though we don't know his name.

Relationship with God, apart from Communal worship, is very personal and an individual experience, yeah. Although not like Protestantism in Sola Fide or Sola Scriptura sense. Also obviously not in Holy Confession sense.

You know what? I think the Roman Catholic Church to be intensely beautiful. I'm British and when I visited Notre Dame I was amazed to see how much decoration there was. The inside of the Cathedral was painted with such incredible love and illustrative art. The same can be said and more of Maricki in Krakow, it was simply jaw droppping. English Churches are really spartan.

BUt the point I'm making is this. I'm left in confusion by the Catholic Church. The message is unclear and the recent images of the Pope washing and kissing the feet of some people is a perfect example of it. I have no idea at all what it is meant to convey other than some sort of exercise in humilty. Okay good but I don't feel it, it doesn't communicate some deep meaning to me that cause me to feel humble or contrite. It just makes me kind of revolted to be honest.

But now there's this. I saw a translated video of an Orthodox Patriarch and he was talking about why we must fight, why it's necessary despite God's commandments and the overall tone of Religion to live in Peace. He said tha Evil will not relinquish it's hold on someone without a fight and that to defeat Evil it is necessary to fight and kill and die.

It was clear and absolutely unequivcal. I feel like the Western Church is letting people down because there is literally nnowhere that people can source some simple common sense. They literally get all their worldy wisdom from fucking comedians and """scientists""".

baka

>baka

that was meant to be [s.m.h.] shake mah head

> I saw a translated video of an Orthodox Patriarch and he was talking about why we must fight
i think orthodoxy is quite pragmatic.

>I think the Roman Catholic Church to be intensely beautiful
I know of nothing more beautiful than an Orthodox service, with the singing, candlelight, waft of incense and as this guy said:
> I have a hard time describing the atmosphere but, basically, we are all just cells of an organism, just organs in the body.

There is a profound feeling of that kind of communion with others there, before God.

Sort of like all humanity, despite our pitiful state, can still be deserving of beauty, happiness and hope and that we are loved and worthy of love nonetheless.

You have to understand, for us the struggle is much more serious, because Orthodox are the dominant Christians of the Middle East. In Syria, nuns have been kidnapped and ancient monasteries destroyed.

This is a hymn by an Orthodox monk whose monastery in Syria was destroyed (he's not living in Georgia)
youtube.com/watch?v=JGgW6Rgqy3E

he's now* living in Georgia

>I have a hard time describing the atmosphere but, basically, we are all just cells of an organism, just organs in the body.

That *is* really moving and I would love to experience it. I was in Serbia once talking to some Serbs. this was soon after the war in the 90's. They were really good to me although a Serb cop came up to me and spoke to me pretty tersely in Serbian (for the Serbs benefit I think more than mine).

Yeah I believe and have always believed that a peoples religious faith and Religious tradition is the source of their Sense of Identity. This is why I've pursued a faith of my own but without a community of my own it's been fruitless. I think the Soul of antiquity IS our Sense of Identity and it seems like the goal of the modern liberal and profane Western philosophy is to disown us of this precious state of Mind and Heart. They seem to want us to be simply cogs in a consumerist world, for Money to be our God and Celebrities to be our demigods.

I'm so unhappy, it really seems like *humanity* is being dismantled by avaricious, blood sucking secularists.

The words, by the way, are Psalm 53 (54 in Orthodox rendering, which uses the Septuagint)

Save me, O God, by thy name, and judge me by thy strength.Hear my prayer, O God; give ear to the words of my mouth. For strangers are risen up against me, and oppressors seek after my soul: they have not set God before them. Selah. Behold, God is mine helper: the Lord is with them that uphold my soul. He shall reward evil unto mine enemies: cut them off in thy truth. I will freely sacrifice unto thee: I will praise thy name, O Lord; for it is good. For he hath delivered me out of all trouble: and mine eye hath seen his desire upon mine enemies.

The language he's singing in is Aramaric

You should read Father Seraphim's "Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age"

oodegr.co/english/filosofia/nihilism_root_modern_age.htm

You can skip the preface if you want, it's not by him, but the rest of it is. The guy is extremely insightful

>it really seems like *humanity* is being dismantled by avaricious, blood sucking secularists.

they are lost in the world, and don't know any better.

they have turned their back on what is good, in bitterness. they have lost faith in us, and themselves.

they judge everyone around them, as they feel they have been judged, and just perpetuate their own misery.

Whoops, I mean 53 in Orthodox rendering, 54 in non-Orthodox rendering. Those are the words, though.

that's a lot to start with. I'm interested in this kind of stuff but I'm pretty fixed now in how I perceive the world. I think I have a pretty good grasp and I'm quite confident that God is guiding and protecting me.

So far as a religious tradition is concerned I think they ARE intracably bound to the Ethnic Group or Nationality they spring from. It's clear as blue sky when you examine them( I studied religion in Uni). I'm getting on now, I was a Cold War child and I understand myself in this way, I was an expression of that time and my time is winding down. My continuing interest in this matter is in hope of seeing a resurgence in the Christian Faith across Europe and a return to it's values. However , I don't regard myself as White and I'm pretty much fixed of the opinion now that things are going to get a lot worse before they start getting better.

That said it's reassuring to see find that Orthodox Christianity is still burning a pretty intense flame for Faith in God and the traditions that made Europe the amazing place it was. Europe matters to me despite what's happening and it really, really needs to return to the source.

Consider that the Orthodox religion is very popular with both Ethiopians and Russians. These peoples are very different ethnicities.

Is it true that the first Christians didn't believe in the divinity of Jesus; rather that he was just venerated as a prophet?

What is arianism?

If the first point is true, what made the shift of Jesus being literally God as the main focus in Christianity? Seems like they were on track then went full retard

That's the Muslim account, yeah. NT makes Christ's divinity pretty clear, though.

Christ being God in Christianity is considered important because his incarnation reconciles God and man, who were alienated by the fall. Christ is both God, and Adam 2.0, the perfect man. Through his Body, we can partake of God himself.

Have no fear if you do not regard yourself as white, brother, if you really do find that you are having difficulty assimilating into the European Orthodox churches, you can always come and be with us Oriental Orthodox Christians - if you're after Christianity straight out from its source, un-tampered by any European-ness.

Daily reminder that Orthodox Christianity is original Christanity. Absolutely pure and based.

>all kike worshipers should be hanged

This.

The Orthodox Church is a Sup Forums meme that needs to die.

They are just as much cancer as any of the other 30,000 denominations.

Serbian/Russian maybe
I know a lot of kids got displaced especially polish

I'm mixed though. I'm neither one thing or the other and I have a strong intuition that people don't really understand what it means to be this way. Life is incredibly complicated, I know this and I appreciate it so I can appreciate that when faced with this situation, mainstream communities feel compelled to play it safe and stick to what they can *know*. I think the Cold War was an unprecedented time in history and there are millions of people like me, displaced, dispossessed of the sense of belonging they had during that time that could only have come about in that time.

I've resigned myself to this existence and I have made a sort of sense of it. My overarching personal philosophy is close to Tao but I believe that Jesus lived and he *personified* a New Covenant the introduced us to a New, more mature and better understnading of what it is to be *Human*. But the die is cast and we are on a journey, there are no "short cuts' and the cycle has to do the full turn. At this point on the cycle the American philosophy has to be transited so we can learn and understand what needs to change. This means that their superficial ideas of Race have to be either proven or discredited. Me and people like me will have to endure however we can. I'm alright, relatively speaking, I can't complain as much as others could.

Yeah, want to go to Australia badly but those colonists are mighty touchy.

die in a locked and sinking car thats fell into a river you son of a bitch.

Go suck the nigger cock of your Saint Nigger Moses Christcuck.

Eat the cunt of this nigger whore.

>muh Christ never said he was God directly in the Bible

That's what some old christians (and muslims nowadays) used as an argument. It's somehow true, but there are very strong proofs against it.

poison in my eyes.

I know you. I can see you. You're only happy when everone is miserable and you're going to be happy for a time, but only for a time. The crash is going to be fucking hard.

The Archbishop of North and South America fought with Martin Luther King Jr. to destroy White America.

>Orthodox is based they said.

Hate filled sack of shit.

How bitterly do Orthodox and Catholic Christian dispute? Unlike Islam Christianity dictates you should love your enemy. That hasn't stopped Christians from warring with each other in the past though.

original judaism isn't monotheistic either its monolatric

GO GIVE A NIGGER CHRISMATION FOR YOUR KEKED FAITH

>those words

Marry your whore daughters with their nigger buck to your Semitic God.

>you should love your enemy
>Jesus expells the jews from the temple using violence

We were not stupid back then, now the catholic faith wants to be "modern" instead of, you know, catholic. I am not defending violence against everything, thought.

bla bla bla

eat shit and die. You're a one string fucking guitar.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! CRUSADORS GONNA GET YOU

Depends on the area. If you tried to evangelize as a Catholic in Russia, you'd probably get your ass kicked by someone, but generally there's no real dispute, no one cares to dispute. Orthodox see Catholics as not the same, but that doesn't mean they hate them, they just get really pissed if Catholics try to convert Orthodox.

To be honest I don't like going to church or the masses as there is too much hypocrisy from both the clegists and the people. I prefer to say my prayers alone before sleep. And also fuck all those that preach. The meaning of Chirst is love everyone! If you're not trying at least then you are not a Christian

That's seems quite strange. Orthodox women are supposed to wear a veil in church. But maybe some Orthodox churches have different rules.

>eat shit and die. You're a one string fucking guitar.

Eat the shit out of your nigger priest's ass, Christcuck.

>Orthodox women are supposed to wear a veil in church. But maybe some Orthodox churches have different rules.

Here is one for you.

lmfao

You're easier than a 3 line crossword puzzle.

Orthodox didn't launch Crusades. Constantinople got sacked by Crusaders, and Russia was invaded by Crusaders, but the Orthodox never launched Crusaders, that's a Catholic thing. The Orthodox Church, not being a political entity or a state like the Catholic Church was/is, does not and has never had a standing army.

Some bishops don't require it. Others only require it if you're receiving Communion.