/cc/ - Criterion Collection

Talk about YOUR Criterion Collection and post recommendations.

My collection:
* Dr. Strangelove (Blu-Ray)
* The Cat People (Blu-Ray)
* RoboCop (DVD)
* Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (DVD)
* Royal Tenenbaums (DVD)
* The Life Aquatic (DVD)
* Chasing Amy (DVD)

Week End (1967)
In the Realm of Senses (1976)
Danton (1983)
Man Bites Dog (1992)

Probably some others, but I'm too lazy to look now

oh yeah and If.... (1968)

I got Lady Snowblood last Christmas and just got around to watching it, finished the first one 20 minutes ago, thought it was really great. Meiko Kaji was a gorgeous woman.

Recommend me some Japanese kino

Hausu is good, I got that one as well

All of Antonioni's films

too kino for words

I REALLY want to get some Kurosawa films, is Dreams worth watching?

Dreams is a later Kurosawa film, I didn't think it was that great desu, though Martin Scorsese plays Vincent Van Gogh in it.

I don't keep my Criterions separate from my regular Blu-rays.

Only two I won are Godzilla & Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
I was renting a whole bunch of criterions over the past 5 or so years, but that video store finally closed down earlier this year.

Get more Meiko Kaji. Arrow has a great Female Prisoner Scorpion box set.

Also get the Criterion Lone Wolf and Cub set. It and Lady Snowblood are based on comics by the same author.

I have Judex, Marketa Lazarova, Valerie and her week of wonders, the Costa trilogy and some eclipse collections.

I don't get the huge following the label has in comparison to others though.

mah nigga

The Thin Red Line
Repo Man
The Life Aquatic
Harold and Maude
The Qatsi Trilogy
Tokyo Drifter

I want to get into Kurosawa, what's that one really violent samurai film of his that's in color? I remember seeing it in Every Frame A Painting's Kurosawa movement video.

Immediately watch The Bad Sleep Well. It was so good that it got my normie family into Japanese films.

>what's that one really violent samurai film of his that's in color? I remember seeing it in Every Frame A Painting's Kurosawa movement video.

Ran?

>tfw can't fit it all in one pic

have you seen out 1?

Yep. Watched it over two days. It was something.

When will this finally get a Criterion release?

So far I have Scanners, House, Sullivan's Travels, The In Laws, Fear and Loathing, Downhill Racer, Ghost World, and Straw Dogs.

i watched it in two sittings as well, i was really immersed though and i know that was not the case for other people that have seen it, i think watching l'amour fou kept me more interested in it because they are kind of complementary features
also really fun to see the evolution from like paris is ours (1960) to out 1
if you liked it you should check out celine and julie

I have some serious classics.

>Carnival of Souls
>Cat People
>The Innocents
>Island of Lost Souls
>Kuroneko
>M
>The Night of the Hunter
>Repulsion
>Rosemary's Baby
>Salo
>The Uninvited
>The Vanishing
>Videodrome

I haven't seen all of them yet, but I really thought The Innocents was a great movie. I'm a big horror fan and I can't believe I slept on that movie for so long.

>Island of Lost Souls
My nigga

i honestly want to start a criterion collection but blu rays are dying and criterion will have moved on to 4k by the time i have a decent collection

I don't see Criterion ever doing 4K. HDR is not at all necessary for their films and 2K is enough resolution, especially when sourced from 4K and down-rezzed. They can barely afford to do DVD and Blu-ray (they tried to do Dual Format but got too many complaints. So now they only issue booklets with prestige titles whereas it used to come standard) Every Criterion I buy I treat as the last time I'll ever need to buy a copy again.

I disagree. Given the age of most of these films, 4k isn't all that necessary.

>Sword of Doom
>Samurai Trilogy
>Yojimbo/Sanjuro
>Zatoichi box
>Sansho the Bailiff
>Three Outlaw Samurai
>Harakiri
>Dr. Strangelove
>The Great Dictator
>Blue is the Warmest Color
>Ikiru
>Throne of Blood
>Rashomon
Plus more that I don't feel like checking for. All on that delicious bluray.

No joke, I actually own a japanese laserdisc of Ghostbusters with Criterion special features.

just remembered I own the Samurai Trilogy, too.

>L'Argent
didn't know ceiterion had this, rip where?

>mfw I want the Criterion version of Dr Strangelove, but I already have the 4k sourced Sony version which technically has better picture quality

It's pretty new. Just came out a month or two ago.

This looks pretty kino I'll check it out

Actually the Sony Blu-ray version of Strangelove is set in 16:9 (which is the wrong aspect ratio because the film wasn't shot like that, so they blow it up on the edges of the screen), so I assume Criterion has the correct ratio.

No, I watched the Sony version less than a month ago. It's 1.66:1.

1.66:1 is the correct aspect ratio for the film. It IS cropped because they shot in 1.33:1 but it was protected for 1.66:1 because matting the top and bottom of the screen was common practice in Kubrick's time. Kubrick preferred to compose for 1.66 and although the Laserdisc was 1.33 that is because he disliked letterboxing on 4:3 CRT. If he was alive today he would love that most of his films would fit nicely inside 16:9 TVs.

The Sony Blu-ray is from a 2K scan, the Criterion is from a 4K scan and has a higher bitrate. Combined with the nicer packaging and exclusive supplements, it is the definitive release of the film.

This movie is kino as fuck. Next thing you know, your senpai will be doing lines of Takashi Miike and losing their shit.