How easy is it for a native English speaker to learn German/Norwegian?

How easy is it for a native English speaker to learn German/Norwegian?

Is it just me or... Norwegian is just a mixture of German/English but more simple and crude?

>En, to, tre
>Eins, Zwei, Drei
>One, two, three

>Far, mor
>Vater, Mutter
>Father Mother

Attached: 01-viking-NationalGeographic_2515792[1].jpg (2048x1365, 336K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Germanic_languages#Classification
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

norwegian is icelandic that got dane'd

core basic words in Germanic languages all sound or seem similar

no you are not germanic

I think swedish/norwegian along with dutch are the easiest language for eng speakers

also you can say 'fader' and 'moder' they just sound very old fashioned

Dutch? really?

is there any mutual intelligibility between Icelandic and Norwegian?

Norwegian should be very easy.
German medium difficulty because it has more grammar rules.

>mutual intelligibility
that's a big word combo, hue

i can understand a few words but its fuckin weird
faroese is easier to understand when written
also english and dutch are both west germanic so the grammar is practically the same

dutch is closer to english than norwegian
german is also closer to english than norwegian but it is more conservative and retained a more complex grammar and morphology

Attached: 1990-004-1C049F71.jpg (600x255, 13K)

>big word

something you should be used to as german

Rechtsschutzversicherungsgsellschaften.

>faroese is easier to understand

did not expect that.

>did not expect that.

the faroes have been DANE'd hard for a long while which made it easier for the continental scandinavian languages whereas iceland actively reintroduced long forgotten old norse vocabulary which made it less intelligible to sc*ndinavians

faroese got a bit more of a danish influence. icelandic is pretty much the same as old norse except for a few differences here and there. i think people who write in nynorsk norwegian got an easier time understanding faroese and icelandic than bokmål norwegian people like me

Attached: 1521232882597.png (905x509, 175K)

I'm hating on your image. It's wrong.
Modern Norwegian was born from danish. Faroese and Icelandic was born from old norwegian.

whether Norwegian is western or eastern north germanic is indeed disputed

what's the exact difference between nynorsk and bokmal

hmmm

though there is a lot to say for norwegian being a west scandinavian language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Germanic_languages#Classification

bokmål is a written language based on danish that had some of the danish elements removed
nynorsk is a written language based on dialects from western norway

Theres not that much similarity. I can only piece together short sentences in norgetraden, whereas with dutch for example I can decipher everything pretty easily without ever having learnt the language.
But you should have a relatively easy time learning both if you're a native english speaker

dutch is just english with a wacky accent

so do you learn both at school?

us bokmål subhumans have to learn nynorsk, dunno if the nynorsk ubermensch have to learn bokmål

I heard Dutch is the easiest to learn for a native English speaker.

wow it's almost as if germanic languages are similar or something

Where do you live? Do you read nynorsk daily there?

eastern norway. i have rarely encountered a situation where i needed nynorsk outside of school

Norwegian is unironically one of the easiest languages to learn as an English-speaker.

German however, despite being more closely related to English retained a very conservative grammatical system contrary to most Western and Northern European languages that shed them. So I'd say medium difficulty.

The thing with English is that because of the Norman invasion much of the vocabulary is Latin-derived. So there's a lot of cognates with words in Spanish and French that just don't exist in other Germanic languages. Many of the big smart people words are from latin(bovine), and the dumb farmer words are germanic(cow), so there's two separate streams of etymology in our language.

Because of this it can be easier to understand the stuff in french and spanish threads then german/scandinavian ones. But I am biased because I learned spanish in school the whole time.

No, most dialects have had a natural progression to their current state.

The biggest difficulties with learning a language lies in the grammar, and how to express yourself properly.
English, while it holds ~40%(?) Latin derived words, it still has Germanic grammar, so it would be easier to learn a Germanic language.

English's Latin-derived vocabulary mostly contains words of the high register and academic terms. The base vocabulary is still Germanic, in fact even Nordic in some regards due to the influence of the Danelaw.

For example the plural conjugations of the English copula ("are") comes from the influence of Nordic settlers during that time.

and then there are literal loanwords coming directly from Old Norse like "loan", "they" or "die"