/lang/ - Language Learning General

Laughing at Duolingofags edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Sup Forums wiki (feel free to contribute)
>4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
MEGA folder with books for all kinds of languages:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Previously on /lang/:

Attached: lang_op2.jpg (1200x865, 377K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s15F5OtYmcKr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I FUCKING HATE JAPANESE. DONT BOTHER LEARNING THIS SHIT LANGUAGE

/lang/ is ded

Why do our generals die so fast

ok
where are you french man?
I want to ask if I should stick out it through all of TTMIK while using anki or should I stop at a certain point and satrt a textbook or something?

Good edition

Started doing some Hanja today, I like it a lot ! 學_學

I was just typing lol
You can do between 2 to 5 lessons of TTMIK a week depending on how quickly you manage to familiarize yourself with grammar rules, then you can do other things, variation is always a good thing, although I think that at the very beginning sticking to a linear and traditional way of learning doesn't hurt. I posted some general language learning tips yesterday, Idk if you saw them but maybe it will help you. Although I have to tell you that I'm no expert.

Attached: main-qimg-11967a89c3c129a75f3101a6f9829159-c.jpg (450x458, 70K)

The typical path is to use the Core2k/6k deck until you've learned all 6k vocab, and then start reading, with a combination of mining new words every day, and grammar study. At least that's the route in going. I'm almost at 2k, and still find it very difficult to read, so I'm going to wait until 6k

검사합니가
Man grammar really is a bitch but I'm in it until the end. I will soon post in gorean witth questions for you frenchie. Be ready.

We are all practicing and have little time to post here, right?

Attached: AhLordFrieza.png (1024x768, 680K)

감사합니다*
아니에요

Attached: 1520367684651.gif (487x560, 898K)

one more bump

>learning arabic
>see فَم
haha :D

Attached: 1488169269874.png (198x164, 2K)

I haven't studied at all today!

Attached: 1518595357294.png (330x189, 19K)

anki?

I find learning words in isolation is counter productive because with flash cards you're essentially makes words in two different languages synonymous which is never the case. Someone once said there is no such thing as a true synonym and I think that is correct.

Every word has a history, use-cases, etc. that differentiate it from every other word.

One popular example is Wissenschaft in German which is commonly translated to "science" in English. But science in English generally refers to the natural sciences whereas Wissenschaft is much broader.

Maybe the reason you're struggling to read is because you're learning words in isolation. With european languages there is generally a core of 500 or so words that you must know, and a broader core of 2k words that will get you through basic reading, writing, and speaking. You should be reading well before you hit 2k words imo, though it may vary depending on the language.

I keep losing motivation. The last language I learned somewhat successfully was German but that was purely because I needed it for a trip to Germany and stopped learning once I left.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 30K)

get a german gf

Wie gut kannst du noch Deutsch? Mir würde auch kein Grund einfallen, weshalb man Deutsch wirklich lernen sollte ausser für deinen Lebenslauf oder halt für klassische Philosophie und Literatur.

In everyday usage science means natural science, but not in formal usage.

Mein Deutsch ist nicht so toll, it's been over a year since I've practiced and at my peak I was essentially speaking like a fluent tourist. My only reason to keep learning is to sing along. to German music and study miscellaneous books

Give up lerning.

Attached: 1511510887899.png (766x608, 154K)

Is that what you tell your students

bhump

double bump :^)

These are all fair points canadanon. However, trying to read even a single news article is very time consuming without having a decent base of vocabulary, which slows down reading considerably. Imagine reading english, but every 1 of 5-10 words you need to stop and look up

>better at remembering grammar rules than vocabulary
wtf is wrong with me

what language?

Is bad duolingo?

Good point. But this is easily overcome by learning in small sentences, common phrases, etc. Duolingo and Memrise are unironically pretty good for that, it just gets boring as fuck after a while. At at that point you should move onto easy reading material like simplified news or very basic stories.

You have to find that happy medium between boring and frustrating.

German help

> Bisher sehr zart siehst du mir aus. ???????? kostet Kraft.
Yet you look very delicate to me. ???????? costs power.

vocaroo.com/i/s15F5OtYmcKr

Attached: Untitled.png (574x206, 27K)

When I was a child I was fluent in English. Then I lived with my mother in Germany for a year and gained fluent German and lost my fluent English. Moved back with my father the following year, relearned English and lost 95% of my German.

Fast forward to today, I live in Germany now. Is it possible my German will come back to me after 14 years of not using it at all?

>You have to find that happy medium between boring and frustrating.
I figured that you were alluding to this user. One of the main reasons that people recommend reading early on is that you can quickly burn out from flashcards. Truly, the best way to learn a language is to never give up in the first place!

The anki flash cards do have example sentences in them, so I do get some exposure to reading, and they are helpful. I guess the moral of the story here is to have a healthy balance when learning a new language. Spend a little time reading, writing, listening, and using flash cards

>vocaroo.com/i/s15F5OtYmcKr

>Bisher sehr zart siehst du mir aus. ???????? kostet Kraft.

So'n Rennen.
Had to slow down the recording to a fraction of a speed to understand it lol. I dunno, his "r" sounds off; it's a realization I am not familiar with, certainly not standard German. Sounded like a "p" to me at first.

What is "so'n Rennen" short for? Solch ein Rennen?

and kostet Kraft ... does that mean in this case,
> Such a race demands power

My english accent is dogshit.
Ive been playing videogames with english speakers with voice chat for 4 years and it doesnt get any better.
What do?

Attached: 1504550045498.jpg (640x427, 53K)

so ein Rennen

>Such a race demands power
yep

kosten can be be used with various words where it essentially translates to "it takes/needs a lot of", such as etwas kostet viel Kraft, Anstrengung, Überwindung, Ausdauer, Zeit, Aufwand, Nerven, Energie...

Θέλω να μαθένω η Ελληνιkά.

bomp

buena suerte mi amigo

friendly reminder to study at least 30 minutes a day