Strong Radio Signal Detected

A strong signal from neighboring solar system has been detected.
The signals seem to be coming from a sun-like star known as HD 164595.
The star is 95 light years away, has at least one known planet and may have additional undiscovered planets in orbit

>gizmodo.com/alien-hunters-spot-freaky-radio-signal-coming-from-near-1785889615
>popsci.com/strong-signal-from-neighboring-solar-system-has-et-seekers-speculating

What do we do now, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/alien-signal-seti-hd164595-2016-8?IR=T
nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluating-nasas-futuristic-em-drive/
youtube.com/watch?v=CJwyjWpP4XA
express.co.uk/news/weird/554074/Alien-seed-sent-Earth-aliens-Scientists-baffled
youtube.com/watch?v=uXJSTEGniV4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ayy's dont exist, or if they do then they are dumber than us. the moment we can make self replicating robots, the bots will just go from planet to planet and replicate along the way, mapping the known universe exponentially

Why? A couple galaxies would be all that's needed to avoid ever being destroyed and they may not want to map out the universe

you should know better norway.

>they may not want to map out the universe
that is a show of weakness - meaning they are weak and dumber than us and will die in the future intergalactic war

Nuke em

Are you a dual citizenship american?

Obligatory

I'm really glad you included that reaction image to let me know how I should feel about that screencap

During the last few hours the main stream media has started to pick up on that story, too.

>businessinsider.com/alien-signal-seti-hd164595-2016-8?IR=T

It's a beacon
It means Food Close From Here

Are we the food?

why the fuck would i send a fucking robot? fuck that shit work on fater propulsion systems for manned craft.

I wanna explore shit for myself. im sick of sitting on this stupid blue ball of cuckery and doing nothing. The robot can go and search the planet for tiny traces of life or analyze the soil or some shit

Judging from what I glanced at the article this could legitimately be first contact. MAYBE. The problem is that two-way communication is a pipe-dream given current technology. At the fastest rate possible (lightspeed) it would take several years for a message to travel one way. And that's ignoring the assumed differences in our EVERYTHING compared to this proposed intelligent life. We could start sending communication under universal terms, like math/physics/constants, but how do we know that the way we send them is similar to theirs? For all we know they communicate in Radio Frequencies and we're doing the equivalent of shouting at them. How do we know they aren't just "mistakenly" sending their transmissions as a byproduct of something else they're doing?

The unknown is crazy

The EM drive was proven to work though, do you not keep up with science and technology?

nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluating-nasas-futuristic-em-drive/

Following the recent indications about Proxima Centauri-b. Are we close to the solution of the Fermi Paradox?

>ayy's dont exist

dumb inbred snownigger.

sorry, I mean you are certainly wrong, sir.

>people unironically think that a sentient lifeform from elsewhere in the galaxy would resemble or use the same tech as us
toppest kek

WOW

why do you believe it doesnt?

fuck it i want to be able to do interstellar travel and back within my lifetime

we really were born in the shittiest time
>the earth is already all explored born too late
>born too early to interstellar travel
what the hell am i supposed to do here?

if they evolved on a planet with similar conditions as ours, yeah user that would be the plausible assumption. For instance being bipedal has obvious advantages that would not change because your from a planet far away.

It depends on what you mean by "resemble," but it's highly likely aliens would be humanoid simply because our physical features are very practical.

>implying user made it
Thanks ctr

There could be oil there, time to ram some of that good ol' American democracy down those alien niggers throats

you're the one who chose this timeline. you picked the time, parents and location. when you were in your astral form before birth

Aliens certainly exists and intelligent alien life at least as intelligent as us is also extremely likely to exist, given the latest theories on the universe being significantly larger than our local patch drives the probabilities in this direction.

However the distance scales we're talking about relative to the length of human life and even the likelyhood of our civilization lasting much longer, they're not condusive conditions to actually making contact or even visiting.

The biggest bummer about science as you start to learn more about the fringe is that contact with other solar systems especially other galaxies starts becoming more and more remote. Unless we're completely blindsided by some completely unexpected breathroughs in physics.

Sadly much of future physics is already well plotted out with what we expect to see and how long it will take us to measure and confirm.

When did humanity first start broadcasting radio signals? About 95 years ago wasn't it?

Something has noticed us.

Fuck off space niggers.

Slave away at our job until it's time to die. Our generation won't even be able to retire .

this

let's liberate those space niggers

Are you dumb?

If they're 95 light years away, that means it would take at least 190 years for any signal to travel from here to there, and then a signal to be sent back.

Why are dumbasses trying to contact alien life. If we can contact something that can somehow reach/contact us then they have the ability to completely destroy us.

> standing on the edge of a dark jungle and shouting into the trees

is what we are doing in space. Wtf is wrong with us.

>Being a specie traitor

Gas the ayys, space war now.

>Implying the ayy lmaos don't have advanced communication technology

Sometime in 1920

Not if they have tech that sends the signals at higher speed. Our first broadcasts are now 110 light years away. But it is very hard to detect(dilution, just like ripples after u throw stone in water), they would have to have supertech to detect those signals.

You know just maybe if we got all the advanced lifeforms from universe together, their technology would work pretty much the same way as ours with warying degrees of efficiency.

For example you can't lift a body from planet without propulsion so they probably use rockets too instead of magic like in some scifi movies.
Equivalent for radio communication or radar probably has to work the same way as well, there are not many alternatives that don't require magic to work.

it's rather vain to assume that a being slapped together from the building blocks of life on some other planet would even come close to us. Think of how many random things have happened just to make us the way we are. Even assuming it would be carbon-based is flawed, because we just don't know. Our knowledge of the rest of our galaxy, let alone the universe, is mostly speculation.
You're assuming our form is close to the pinnacle of evolution. While it would be practical on a planet similar as stated, why just assume that life from elsewhere that we may contact would be from a similar planet? We as humans can only really think in the terms of our own existence and knowledge. For all we know there could be silicon based lifeforms, etc. If we come into contact with another "race" as it were and they strongly resemble us, I'd say that's more of an argument for some grand creator's existence. Anyway I'm not really trying to bash anyone, I'm just saying that the possibilities are near endless so blindly assuming they'd be similar is wholly egocentric.

>T-they just make their SOUND WAVES go FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT

The oceans haven't been explored.

As I said in my other post you're only thinking in terms of our own existence and scientific knowledge. And most of that knowledge is just sound theory. We don't even know how things really work (e.g. dark matter).

Cars are magic to dogs.

>the moment we can make self replicating robots, the bots will just go from planet to planet and replicate along the way, mapping the known universe exponentially
Sounds like good doomsday device.

>You're assuming our form is close to the pinnacle of evolution.
No, not at all. Simple things like being a bipedal would be extremely practical in almost any land environment.

Carbon based life is by far the most likely simply because the element is way more abundant and easily forms a variety of bonds than other stuff. I suppose it is possible for advanced alien life to be aquatic, but even then it's likely they'll have a pair of eyes, a nose above their mouth, etc.

>Sound waves

dropped, learn2physics

depends on gravity for starters

Yeah, I get what you're saying. My original post was more to the point that people think little grey men come and shove stuff up our asses and get women pregnant for some unknown reason.

There is no such thing as space aliens, stop wasting time and money on this shit. Adults believing in fairy tales... What a joke.

>space niggers

Every fucking time

>Who are the Pleidians, Reptilians, Greys, and Feline people
>What is the Galactic Federation
is still here

THREADLY REMINDER: Gravitational Lensing is the new Swamp Gas.

how es it bacon, and why is are we the bacaon?

>the system is 95 lightyears away

>At the fastest rate possible (lightspeed) it would take several years for a message to travel one way

What if we discover a solar system we're we become like superman? We get stronger and get powers like him

>you are now aware they actually listened to user.

Soon.

1st article BTFO by seti. Move along nothing to see here. Google "wow signal" for real happenings

It's broadcasting at 11GHz. Probably terrestrial in origin, and they haven't ruled that out yet.

>What do we do now, Sup Forums?

Pray. Wide eyed liberals have been wrong about every single decision they've made regarding life on THIS planet, why the fuck would an alien race want to hold hands and share tech with violent nuke throwing monkeys? We fucking pray it's another malfunction or naturally explainable phenomena, because the webm and video related are outcomes just as plausible as them being wise weed smoking mentors that will magically save humanity from niggers and muslims. Errr I mean from itself :)

youtube.com/watch?v=CJwyjWpP4XA

Rare flag

You're an idiot - we detected phenomenal hydrogen level changes, not classic rock FM. Hydrogen is not a human technology.

We were emitting radio waves for quite a while before we knew what we were doing. Early experiments involving electricity would have generated anomalous radio signals. Earliest electric motor was in the 1830s. 190 years sounds about right if you think about it from that perspective.

>gizmodo

>le Apple shill site

Good Goy

It is also a possibility that the building blocks of life were seeded in this area of galaxy by an advanced Civilization at some previous point during the Universes 13.8 billion years of existence. Guess the only way to find out one way or another is to meet some ayy lmaos.

>several years

lel. try 95 retard

We've already seen the seeds.

express.co.uk/news/weird/554074/Alien-seed-sent-Earth-aliens-Scientists-baffled

The spice must flow fgt.

It doesn't mean shit unless they keep staring at that spot and it happens again you dumb tards.

But, mane, they'd need another 95 years to answer

>you were born in time to fight the space niggers

and science is magic to you apparently

YOU WERE THAT UGLY GLEAM IN YOUR FATHER'S EYE

They still obey the laws of physics and nature even if they don't have undestanding of it. If rocket propulsion is the best way to lift ships from surface into space universe-wide, it can only become as efficient as what properties best fuel and rocket gives you. Maybe some other species can make 10x more efficient fuel mixtures than we ever can because they have better natural resources.

But I've thought about it. If different species on Earth got smarter overnight, they cared at all, they had nobody to copy from and if we ignored the limitations they can do with their bodies, do you think they could possibly find a way to build that kind of transportation in a better way from the resources that they can find on this planet?
Some sort of hovering vehicles that travel slightly above ground are certainly possible, but they may not ever be as resource efficient as cars and it's complete waste.

Either way in the end it's still pretty similar cars, they would just hover instead of traveling on tires. If there is life on some other planet they probably use ships, airplanes, cars and trains just like we do with minor differences.

The implication being aliens, even if countless natural phenomena emit radio waves?

>They still obey the laws of physics

The "law" of conservation of momentum has already been debunked. Not to mention a laser fired into an EmDrive exceeds the speed of light.

>classic rock FM
If they did they're probably hearing "Stairway to Heaven" at least once a day too.

>laser fired into an EmDrive exceeds the speed of light.
Nigga what?

>if they do then they are dumber than us
Where does this idea come from? I keep hearing this but cant work out the logic. Are we special snowflakes?

>tfw Sol III and the rest of the Sol system gets annexed by the blorgs in your lifetime

>seriously bringing up the memedrive
wew lad

The problem is that you are addressing the human condition, which biologically evolved in a certain way, as the base of the evolution of technology on the alien world. There is no way we could know, if their biological form implied the same goals, means and methods to achieve them. We also have no way of knowing how they would perceive the universe, if their concept of nature and the laws of nature were the same. What if they had more senses we don't even know of for example? Unless of course, you also believe all life ends up fundamentally the same way, due to reasons as "carbon chauvinism" for example.

Imagine an article headline
'Unremarkable radiosignal detected. It is hardly aliens because countless natural phenomena emit radio waves'

As long as we can take over that planet and kill any who oppose us then I'm fine with us going over there.

send them pics of frogs

FUCK OFF SPACE NIGGERS! WE'RE FULL!

Die, carbon chauvinist pig!

Basically this, thanks for typing it out so I didn't have to.

>pics

lmao, it's almost as funny as the legal system in Germany

Kek

>neighboring solar system
triggered me

youtube.com/watch?v=uXJSTEGniV4

I wonder if anyone has intercepted Pioneer 10's broadcast.

Not a meme, it just doesn't produce enough power in it's current iteration to do anything worthwhile.

We just want to be friends, human.

Yes it is a meme. It doesn't produce any thrust.

We come in peace. ALLAHUAKBAR.

We play the most dangerous game OP.