Mfw I see American confuse then and than

>mfw I see American confuse then and than
how the fuck native English speaker does that kind of mistake?

Attached: disgust.jpg (600x350, 32K)

cuz ppl type fst and don care bout grammar

Some people don't actually know the difference. Most natives learn by hearing, especially poorer ones. Even if they could read the difference in spelling is lost on them. That is to say there are a few separate things happening here, like sounds, two meanings and two words, if you weren't sure why not mix and match.

because they're fat

>what are typos

>then and than
arent these words mean the same? i thought it's british/american english shit. like 'gray' and 'grey'

Than is used for comparisons, then is used for a few other contexts

50 is higher than 40
If 50 isn't higher than 40 then I don't know what to do
I'm going to the store then coming home
etc.

To answer OP's question, kids don't really care or pay attention at the age where grammar is taught so they learn English primarily by picking it up through listening to other people (which is why homophones are such a problem) and reading.

You don't really think about your native language's grammar nearly as intensely as if you were learning another language

Pronunciation. In fast speech, (1) and (2) merge to (3).

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 01.27.00.png (277x207, 21K)

And this kids is why I'd never want to learn English as a second language. Danish has a similar issue with slurring entire sentences into one word

I speak Danish too. The pronunciation is tricky to get used to, but no more than I imagine English is for, say, a native Mandarin speaker.

It's not so much the pronunciation but being able to understand it spoken. Unlike Danish my German is somewhat decent but even with them separating words I still struggle to understand it spoken at any more than a slow pace

Watch DR shows with the captions turned on. It's a lot easier to get started when you can match written words to sounds. It's like English, in that a lot of sounds tend to get swallowed in quick speech. You sometimes see Danes write with apostrophes in place of the swallowed sounds when transcribing speech, e.g. _de' ku' ha' ik' lide_ for _det kunne han ikke lide_ "he didn't like it".

I may have suggested I've been attempting to learn Danish a lot more than I actually have, although I've been doing that with German a lot lately. I'm mostly learning German and a little Dutch, Danish for me is more "fuck around with" territory

I've been doing the thing with watching shows with captions on with German* I realize that wasn't clear. Should probably be doing something else at 5am like sleeping

i intentionally type wrong on this board

Danish pronunciation takes more effort to get down than German, no doubt. Even when you can pronounce all the sounds correctly, you still have to deal with some ambiguity (e.g. "which sound does A make in this word"), and it takes time to develop a workable intuition in that regard.

That's exactly the type of mistake native speakers make. Foreigners have problems with grammar and style, but they are not above looking up a word if they are not sure how it's written. Natives, on the other hand, have no problems with grammar, but if they don't remember the spelling of something (and if they're poorly educated, this something can even be a word as simple as "than" or "its"), they just wing it and hope for the best.

>they don't remember the spelling of something
>"than" or "its"), they just wing it and hope for the best.

It's disgusting to be that dumb to not remember spelling of one of the most commonly used words.
DIGUSTING

there are people from the south posting on this site

Many Russians mix up -тcя and -тьcя because the palatalization is lost in fast speech. Same concept.

Most of not all people with uni degree are able to spell "тьcя"/"тcя" correctly.
Dumb kids fail that often.

Well, now you realize what age the native english speakers on this board are.

Well I guess like 90% of active posters are under 16.