I know it's a cliche, but holy shit film school students are pretentious clowns...

I know it's a cliche, but holy shit film school students are pretentious clowns. I've been privately working on scripts as a hobby and have been venturing out from a few texts to actually read screenwriting forums online. Holy shit these people insert deep meanings - usually involving feminism, gender roles, sexual abuse, racism, and classism- into the most random of fucking film discussions, and they mash their retelling of scenes to make it fit their notions. I'm shocked and I've only scraped the surface. Film school students, the hell is wrong with your brains?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ACdAPGkrGBI
youtube.com/watch?v=iE8n5wZ-m2A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When you make the study of art into a competitive field it inspires the unimaginative into doing what you're referring to. I hate higher education for this reason desu

I once told a "film" student about muy script that i wrote with no expectations justo as a hobby
He inmediatly asked about the "Hidden" meaning told him it was just a cool story about hookers no deeper meaning
He told me it was sexist
That's why i don't talk about movies un public anymore...

Most films generally have a deeper context than just the surface level, obviously there's a certain amount of films that do actually deal with racism/sexism/classism et cetera, but you're right in that it is being overscrutinized by some people (not all film students, don't make that assumption. I'm in my final year right now and I'm not like the people you mention). What films were the ones brought up?

I read a fucklong post about the Friday the 13th movies where the writer was making a connection between Jason and the "Satan figure in American mythology". It was some tedious shit, but I think what pissed me off the most was that it treated the entire series as a cohesive effort. You can't write some long mythos shit like that about a film series with multiple writers and studios over the course of the series. Refering to how one shot in an early movie paralled a shot like five movies later is not a sane way to start a support that the film has deeper metaphor. There are easily found video interviews with later directors and writers saying they hadn't even watched the earlier films GAH FUCK. I hate "academic" film review, especially when it does not take actual production variables into account.

An odd one that stands out is 'It Follows'. It has a pretty obvious subtext of STDs and arguably teenage apprehension about sex, but somehow somebody linked it to childhood sexual abuse.

Mad Max Fury Road was apparantely about femininazation of the Max character. (This one used a lot of support that he was not the driving force of the plot. Apparently this person had never seen Road Warrior, and thought this was a departure from normal Mad Max) .

Way too deep analysis of Friday the 13th movies which ignores a lot of real life variables (executive choices, directors in later films who hadn't even seen earlier films) which totally negate the possibility of a cohesive mythos.

youtube.com/watch?v=ACdAPGkrGBI

OMFG, that cowboy outfit reveal. What the actual fuck?

People like this can never be wrong. Even when the artists say "that's not what I meant" then they'll counter with either "it's up to the audience" or "you subconsciously put that stuff in there." Fucking critics.

I think the biggest problem is people want too much too fast. I went back to school using the GI bill and have another career, so Im a bit older then most of the other students, and I hate to sound cliche as well but theyre all so fucking naive and outright dumb. they are tiehr
>rich and can coast off mom and dads money and play for a living
or
>are busting their ass at some menial crap job waiting to get discovered
there's another small group of us that are more experienced and are doing this for a fun hobby, career advancement or a second job. If I had a dollar for every holier then thou black and white indie movie they made thinking speilberg is going to notice it and wisk them away as his apprentice I wouldnt have to pay for my tuition. I guess its common in the industry as well. People want to show off as deep and educated and cant just make something simple

I'm a film major and I was ostracised and bullied because I decided not to fall into their petty arrogant bullshit. I remember they always got grossed out when I said Wayne's World was my favourite movie and Seinfeld my favourite TV Series. I managed to graduate with more enemies (one sided because I never really cared about them lel) than friends but now I'm an editor with a decent pay and enough free time to screenwrite and most of them pretentious idiots are still trying to get funding for their meme films.

>When a high profile boy is kidnapped

Hrrumph

You sound like a whiny faggot

Please tell me details about these films. I could read about them all night.

Here's what you should answer when asked about your favourite film
JOINTS
1. Inside Man (Lee, 2006)
2. Tpaнcфopмepы 3: Tёмнaя cтopoнa Лyны (Bay, 2011)
3. Zaat (Barton, 1971)
4. Los Cuatro Fantásticos (Trank, 2015)
5. Casablanca (Curtiz, 1942)

FLICKS
1. The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)
2. Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, 1994)
3. Mauvais Garçons (Bay, 1995)
4. بادکنک سفيد (Panahi, 1995)
5. [달은 해가 꾼는 꿈] 예고편 (Park, 1992)

MOVIES
1. The Godfather, Part III (F. Coppala, 1990)
2. 一代宗師 / 一代宗师 (Kar-Wai, 2013)
3. Á bout de souffle (Godard, 1960)
4. American Graffiti (Lucas, 1973)
5. In the Name of the King (Boll, 2007)

FILMS
1. 建国大业 (Huang & Han, 2009)
2. Apocalypse Now (F. Coppala, 1979)
3. The Birth of a Nation (Griffith, 1915)
4. 十二生肖 (Chan, 2012)
5. IIIIIIIIIIIIIII1891091718191612$€€€&-@ (Sandler, 2017)

CINÉMA
1. Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Leone, 1966)
2. Bee Movie (Smith & Hickner, 2007)
3. Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick, 1999)
4. तीन बेवकूफ (Hirani, 2009)
5. Kindsköpfe (Dugan, 2010)

KINO
1. Mondo Acquatico (Costner & Reynolds, 1995)
2. Herz aus Glas (Herzog, 1976)
3. 劇場版ポケットモンスター ミュウツーの逆襲 (Yuyama, 1998)
4. Avatar (Cameron, 2009)
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
1. Interstellar (Nolan, 2014)
2. L'Ascension du Cheveliar Noir (Nolan, 2012)
3. Drive (Refn, 2011)
4. Чeлoвeк c кинoaппapaтoм (Vertov, 1929)
5. 01010101 01101110 00100000 01000011 01101000 01101001 01100101 01101110 00100000 01000001 01101110 01100100 01100001 01101100 01101111 01110101 (Luis Buñel, 1929)

Funny enough, I too am a vet (welcome 4 cervix) and my scripts are action mixed with how soldiers variously deal with coming back from war. And what I mean by that is the opposite of the weepy bullshit that film students right about soldiers who were le traumatized by war, but the characters are basically let down because their life peaked in war and it was an awesome time. I'm sick of film nerds putting the experience through a melodrama "break down and cry it out lens".

>1. Interstellar (Nolan, 2014)
Lol, you are an idiot.

I swear to god, if one more person tells me their short film is magical realism, I will burn this shit to the ground.

Part of growing up is realizing literally everyone is a pretentious clown.

whats wrong with wayne's world/seinfeld? did they pull something ou of their ass to claim it was problematic or were they acting holier than thou bc it wasn't some 3 hour arthouse movie about a retarded jew with aids in the holocaust? i wouldnt be surprised by either desu

There's always a great payoff when you watch these pretentious film students boast about their 2deep4u final projects, and they end up being cliche ridden dogshit. Speaking of cliches, what are some film student cliches you guys despise?
-Morning routine scene
-Character washes face, you see their reflection in the mirror

some have no semblance of a plot whatsoever, literally just shots of nature or old buildings with different lighting techniques while somebody narrates gibberish, Picture the opening to Gummo. Others are slightly better but like OP says so choked with deeper insight or political agenda its too far up its own ass to be taken seriously
>a black students runs for class president, sparking deep seated racism and a return of the KKK in a once idealistic town (you know, to show white people are all inherently racist and are one uppity black guy away from showing it)
>a girl travels to spain, almost gets kidnapped and has to use her wits to get away (literally just taken meets far cry, when I pointed this out they got mad. Also the actress was a fatass and they wanted her to be kicking ass like jason bourne)
>one about zombie giraffes terrifying a zoo at night (my favorite one, got shut down early because everyone involved was a prick and wanted to be king big dick in charge of everything like OP was saying)
>a few war movies, when they found out I was a veteran they wanted me to be invovled (everything was either me being a PTSD time bomb,a war criminal or saying how evil america is and the military industrial complex is ruining the world)
and lots of other fan fiction rip offs that we probably couldnt even legally do

>a few war movies, when they found out I was a veteran they wanted me to be invovled (everything was either me being a PTSD time bomb,a war criminal or saying how evil america is and the military industrial complex is ruining the world)

Brutal. Maybe it's because I'm hammered, but I think a simple plot war movie ("Squad we have to complete this mission!") with some insane over the top stakes would be fun. Like, "Sergeant, it turns out the terrorists have a nuclear bomb! And they kipnapped your girlfriend! And strapped her to the bomb! And your dog!" with like jump cuts to these increasing amounts of shit strapped to a giant bomb. And one of the guys is alcoholic, but he goes from chugging multiple flasks to overcoming it and being a hero in like 10 minutes.

I dunno. I'm a retarded hack, but at least it would be fun. I don't know why film students think "serious = good"

>No

1.मदर इंडिया
2.नई पड़ोसन
3.बाहूबली
4.तारे ज़मीन पर
5.रंग दे बसंती

Shit tier tastes senpai

Do film students like fun movies?

dont get me wrong, there are lots of silly, fun ideas that going around and even get made and those are much easier to work on because everyone is just having fun. But for everyone 1 of those there is one pretentious arthouse film trying to get forced out by some control freak 19 year old thats too high on their horse and ruins it for everyone

Only inappropriately placed one-liners they think are witty and shove inside of a "personal drama". People get too in love with singular pieces and don't realize how they undercut the whole of a project. Also shitty audio ruins comedy delivery.

Gib examples.

are you guys retarded?

Zombie giraffes sounds like pure kino, those guys are tasteless faggots.

oh god that taken meets far cry one made me cringe. there's too many student films that are trying to be tongue in cheek action films or revival of some other outdated genre like noir and they end up failing miserably

Anyone want to post examples of the worst student films they've seen?

Do they fail because the genre is no longer viable, or do they fail because they copy surface level aesthetics and then put jarring modern story and camera work on top? I ask because good classic noir didn't just have deep shadows, it actually used them for a purpose. It also had it's own language for story and character. Pretty much all the stuff touted as "neo-noir" (admittedly released stuff, no student films) that I watch is really just a modern action movie with a thin noir visual style put on top.

I mean, shit Looper was more of a noir film than most "neo-noir" but people didn't notice because it wasn't filmed in black and white.

(((award winning)))

youtube.com/watch?v=iE8n5wZ-m2A

Holy exposition, Batman.

main girl is a qt