What are your thoughts on this masterpiece? Where do you go from this?

What are your thoughts on this masterpiece? Where do you go from this?

Anti US propaganda

fuck off weaboo

why does this man trigger you so much?

Is this Hideaki "Hide Your Anus" Anno?

you can't be a weaboo for simply liking this film, it's a quintessential godzilla film, not some anime bullshit

Name another director who excels at animation and live-action. Or someone who has feats like shaking the anime industry and redeeming the kaiju genre under his belt.

the second hour could've been trimmed and less talky. otherwise it's the best zilla movie since the first

Considering how autistic the Godzilla fanbase is about hating the 98 movie I'm amazed he was included in this.

I liked the cartoon based on the 98 movie, but I was like 8 or something. Same studio that made the men in black cartoon I think? That was good too. On topic tho, shin godzilla was my fav movie of 2016.

>I liked the cartoon based on the 98 movie
Wasn't it basically a remake of the Hanna Barbera cartoon?

Without question the most overrated Godzilla flick. Some fans have deluded themselves into thinking it's objectively in the same ballpark as Gojira (1954).

hmm actually, yeah, but the human characters were more likeable and there was no godzooky. also that french chick was one of my early boners.

new challenger approaches

Can't wait for the new Godzilla movie

>masterpiece

I'd give it a 8/10 at most, definitely Anno 's best work since EoE tho.

Thanks, user. You have a lot to look forward to with my trilogy. Have I ever let you down?

My favorite theater experience in years.

as long as it doesn't have cute teenage girls getting violently killed I'm fine

>A movie featuring over an hour of mediocre dialogue about nothing.
>Masterpiece.
Commit seppuku stupid gaijin.

This is 100% correct. It's the same quality as the 2014 film. It's just in a language most of you idiots don't understand, so you can't tell how bad the dialogue is.

>A movie featuring over an hour of mediocre dialogue about nothing.
That's not true. But I'll admit ten minutes could have been shaved off the running time. Though overall it's easily the best Godzilla film since Gojira. Only Mothra vs Godzilla gives it a run for its money.

make the us ambassador and the deadpan scientist kiss

>and there was no godzooky.
what's the point then

>That's not true
You're right. I gave into hyperbole.

>But I'll admit ten minutes could have been shaved off the running time.
Most of the scenes could've been removed entirely. Even the "mystery" scenes where they try and figure out the clue left by Maki had almost no weight to them. It brought up that they don't know what the data means, and then it's resolved down the line by folding it. There's zero in-between, which is really just a problem with the movie in general. A problem exists, then a solution is found even though it doesn't seem like anyone does any footwork to actually find them.

>Though overall it's easily the best Godzilla film since Gojira.
No it isn't. It's a poorly written film with on-the-nose commentary about the Japanese government's inability to deal with a task that has no readily obvious or correct solution.

Also Patterson's character was fucking laughably terrible.

There was an in-between. Don't they remember that there was origami on the yact and then eventually solve Godzilla's cellular processes with the German supercomputers and have to delay the nuclear countdown in order to complete it? Even then they were working on a hope and a prayer because Godzilla is always mutating.

Goro Maki discovered and named Godzilla. Yuguchi offers the theory that Maki was testing the Japanese people. Some people think he was Godzilla or he unleashed Godzilla upon Japan himself. It adds an interesting layer to the film.

Do you forget what series you're talking about? Besides Gojira and MvG, name a Godzilla movie with better writing than Shin Godzilla. The children's fare of the 70s or the lazy Heisei movies with forced messages?

Pro-Japan =/= Anti-US

Americans of all people should know the value in individuality and isolationism

> Don't they remember that there was origami on the yact and then eventually solve Godzilla's cellular processes with the German supercomputers and have to delay the nuclear countdown in order to complete it?
You're partially right. The problem is that they stare at it all movie until someone looks at the origami. Then they scan it all in and ship it off screen, where the problem is solved entirely for them.

>name a Godzilla movie with better writing than Shin Godzilla.
You didn't say "best writing", not that Shin Godzilla's was particularly good regardless, as it paints politicians as inept retards that can barely tie their shoes.

You said "Best Godzilla film since Gojira", which it isn't, because there have been more entertaining films in the series that also had social and political commentary, and they did it about as well as Shin Godzilla. The difference is that they didn't come off as an overly serious anime episode, and the commentary was cheesy without taking itself too seriously. Godzilla films are mostly family-orieted flicks that have some underlying themes for Kaiju fights and explosions.

Shin Godzilla failed whole-heartedly in that regard. It takes itself completely seriously, and as such it should be held to the standards of a serious movie. Standards that it can't live up to, because the boardroom dialogue is poor, the cast is largely forgettable, and Godzilla itself doesn't really do anything, because he's been stripped of any character he once had, and now exists only as a natural disaster. If this movie had the aliens from Independence Day in Godzilla's place, everyone would call it mediocre schlock with bring meetings that take too long, but they don't, because foreigners think it's an edgy and relevant modern day commentary on the Japanese government. A government which all of you seem to know nothing about.

>as it paints politicians as inept retards that can barely tie their shoes
They weren't that bad and politicians are pretty frustrating. There was a lot of frustration about how Fukushima was handled. If you're American look at Hurricane Katrina for a somewhat comparable situation.

>because there have been more entertaining films in the series that also had social and political commentary
Please name these movies and I sincerely hope Return of Godzilla is not among them

>the cast is largely forgettable
These characters are among the most likable in the genre. Seriously, what other casts compete? Maybe the characters of Kaneko's films (GotU, Revenge of Iris, GMK) and Honda's first couple of films (MvG and Monster Zero). Shout out to the neglected Gamera the Brave as well. The best monster films have the best human stories and Shin Godzilla meets the bill. What would have been boring scenes were kept alive with lively editing, cinematography, and writing.

>Shin Godzilla failed whole-heartedly in that regard
Its general critical reception and success at box office suggests otherwise. Shin Godzilla is the most well received Godzilla film since Gojira in both the East and West. Most feedback about it has been positive. It was nominated for eleven Japanese Academy Awards and won seven. Adjusted for inflation it's the fifth highest grossing Japanese Godzilla film to date and the highest grossing since the 1960s. It's Anno's biggest achievement and was the second most successful film at Japanese box office in 2016.

>They weren't that bad and politicians are pretty frustrating
Every time I comment in one of these threads all I ever get are "You missed the point" and "They weren't that bad" responses. If the movie is so great you'd be able to give a ton of examples as to why, which is why you're backpedaling to "they weren't that bad".

>There was a lot of frustration about how Fukushima was handled.
Shin Godzilla is a poor commentary of the Fukushima disaster, because it doesn't even bother dealing with all the things that made it so controversial.

For instance, in the movie scientists say that there's no possible way the creature could stand up and move about, so the PM issues a statement as such. Basic physics and biology tells us there is no possibility for something like Godzilla to exist in real life without it collapsing under its own weight. Then he stands up, and everyone blames the government for not being a think tank of psychics with expert knowledge on fake Kaiju physics.

It's a shallow commentary, because nothing that simple or idiotic happened during Fukushima. Fukushima was a terrifying ordeal because it was a convergence of disasters that had real-world impact on the entire nation. There was no simple statement that could have been issued, and no simple solution that was readily apparent, or easily executed. Japan was hit by a massive earthquake, a Tsunami, and then a nuclear disaster in the span of hours. Shin Godzilla misses the complexity of this disaster entirely and resorts to childish writing to convey it's "biting commentary".

>These characters are among the most likable in the genre.
Really? Which characters exactly? The completely impotent PM Okochi? Patterson, who can't act for shit? The typical anime protagonist, Yaguchi?

>Its general critical reception and success at box office suggests otherwise.
Can you even name the other films that were out around that time? Do you know why it was a success and well received?

Because it's a reboot of a nationally recognized IP that had just made a huge splash at the box office years earlier in the form of Godzilla 2014. It was marketed as a "better and edgier" version of the American Godzilla film, which was already well received in Japan. However, because Shin Godzilla was made by the Japanese, for the Japanese, with angsty political commentary of a recent disaster that affected the whole nation, it was praised. Not to mention that Toho pumped so much money into marketing Godzilla and buying off critics that it was impossible for it to be received poorly. It's also a summer blockbuster flick that came out around a time where there was little competition at the theatre.

>What would have been boring scenes were kept alive with lively editing, cinematography, and writing.
There was nothing "lively" about the boardroom scenes. Even Shin Godzilla's most loving critics said they were overly long, and at times, needlessly convoluted.

>It was nominated for eleven Japanese Academy Awards and won seven.
This is completely meaningless. The Academy Awards here are full of movies most people don't even know exist. Have you even seen any of the other movies nominated against Shin Godzilla? The category for Director of the Year was piled with dramas. The only strong movies in that category were Kimi no Na wa, which being an anime sure as shit wasn't going to beat a live action Godzilla film, and Ikari, another drama film. Shin Godzilla was a summer juggernaut competing with small dramas and anime films for most of its categories, and it pushed an agenda that many wanted to be pushed, so of course it was popular, and of course it was praised by the people pushing that agenda.

>"They aren't that bad"
Obviously the politicians could tie their own shoes. That much is self-evident and that is what I was referring to with the text above.

>For instance, in the movie scientists say that there's no possible way the creature could stand up and move about, so the PM issues a statement as such.
You conveniently left out that the PM was told NOT to say the whether the creature could come ashore because they were still looking into the matter. False promises and acting on incomplete information was the dig in that scene. Minutes before everyone laughed at the idea of a monster.

>It's a shallow commentary, because nothing that simple or idiotic happened during Fukushima.
No one said the situation wasn't difficult. Shin Godzilla admits it wasn't easy. The point is that the situation could have been handled better and that serious mistakes were made. The Prime Minister and others were too worried about their image and seniority to make necessary decisions in a timely manner. That is one of the major points of criticism in the movie. Speaking of an evolving crisis, Godzilla also evolves throughout the movie. How about that. When the going gets tough Japan elects to layover and allow other countries to solve its problems for it. Akasaka is fine with the nuke being dropped because it'll garner sympathy from the international community and allow for a speedy recovery. Yaguchi rejects this path and wants the Japanese to take an active role in solving its own challenges.

>Characters
Yes I'm serious. What monster movies have better characters?

>Can you even name the other films that were out around that time?
Your Name, One Piece Film Gold, Finding Dory, The Secret Life of Pets, The Jungle Book, Ghostbusters.

>Because it's a reboot of a nationally recognized IP that had just made a huge splash at the box office years earlier in the form of Godzilla 2014.
Godzilla 2014 performed like a Millennium Era movie. All of those movies were box disappointments and flops besides GMK (which was released in a heavily saturated market). Nothing too impressive. Especially after a decade long absence. Shin Godzilla did much better than it was originally projected to do. Initial final gross estimates had it doing less business than most of the Heisei films and the early Showa films.

>Even Shin Godzilla's most loving critics said they were overly long, and at times, needlessly convoluted.
Quotes and names please.

> This is completely meaningless. The Academy Awards here are full of movies most people don't even know exist.
Okay? Do general audiences have a say in the Academy Award process? Spirited Away took the Picture of the Year award in 2001, so there's a precedent of an animated film taking the highest honor. Are you also going to argue that movie is crap too? Your Name and Spirited Away were the highest grossing films of their respective years. Shin Godzilla didn't have easy competition. Some of the films it was up against had more acclaim than it (Rage and Her Love Boils Bathwater).

>Obviously the politicians could tie their own shoes.
You realize that hyperbole isn't literal, right? English is my 3rd language and I know this, whereas you seem to make an issue of it.

>False promises and acting on incomplete information was the dig in that scene.
>Minutes before everyone laughed at the idea of a monster.
Because it's a laughable subject. There's no ability for the Human race to realistically theorize that a 92,000 metric ton nuclear fish is going to make landfall and defy every known law of physics and thermodynamics. There's no "incomplete information", which is why the scene falls flat.

>When the going gets tough Japan elects to layover and allow other countries to solve its problems for it.
There's international laws that keep us from funding the same kind military that America has so we can be kept under the UN's thumb. The movie doesn't even seem to grasp this basic and well-known fact, and neither do you, likely because you're not from Japan.

>Akasaka is fine with the nuke being dropped
Because it's the most practical solution and he really has no ability to refute it.

>Yaguchi rejects this path and wants the Japanese to take an active role in solving its own challenges.
A largely pointless gesture as we solve most of our challenges just fine.

>What monster movies have better characters?
The Shobijin were more enjoyable than everyone in Shin Godzilla combined.

>Your Name
The only good film there.

>Quotes and names please.
Wikipedia or find them yourself. I'm not digging through old movie reviews in Japanese that you'll just stuff through Google and infer your own meaning of.

>Spirited Away
Are you really going to compare a Ghibli film to other anime?

Ikari/Rage was a better movie by far, but lost because it's basically an indie film and Toho has too much pull in the media industry.

If this movie was so great you'd be arguing it's merits, not comparing it to b-movies from decades ago.

Anno is a hack and Shin Goji was his only decent live-action flick.

The lady that played the japanese embasador to the us is GORGEOUS.
I was fully erect everytime she was on screen

>There's international laws that keep us from funding the same kind military that America has so we can be kept under the UN's thumb.
I'm beginning to think you didn't even watch the movie. See pic related.

>Because it's a laughable subject. There's no ability for the Human race to realistically theorize that a 92,000 metric ton nuclear fish is going to make landfall and defy every known law of physics and thermodynamics. There's no "incomplete information", which is why the scene falls flat.
Why are you deliberately being obtuse? You're watching a giant monster movie. As I mentioned in my previous post it was unbelievable that a nuclear fish of that size could exist to begin with. The point was that it did and the situation shouldn't have been underestimated (Yaguchi literally says this). Learn to work with metaphors and pay attention.

>The Shobijin were more enjoyable than everyone in Shin Godzilla combined.
Sure,The Peanuts look nice and are easy on the ears. Yaguchi, Akasaka, Prime Minister Okochi, Patterson, and Hiromi are definitely engaging on their own terms and some of most memorable characters in the genre.

>Are you really going to compare a Ghibli film to other anime?
Yes. Your Name is the second highest grossing anime film to date. It BTFO every other Ghibli film (Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, etc) and got plenty of overwhelmingly positive reviews while doing so. Makoto Shinkai has made a name for himself. They're comparable.

>Ikari/Rage was a better movie by far, but lost because it's basically an indie film
Indie films usually sweep up at awards shows like this. And what happened to Toho's pull for the last three decades?

>If this movie was so great you'd be arguing it's merits, not comparing it to b-movies from decades ago.
Gojira (1954) is not a b-movie. It and Seven Samurai were serious and costly productions in their own time. And you're the one who started with the comparisons to other Godzilla movies.

It was good, I guess, even though I turned it off before the end. It's really interesting how the japanese get away with things like not having a protagonist, but when the american godzilla tried to not have a protagonist, it was total shit.

Anyway, the Evangelion episode they ripped off was way better than the whole movie itself. I really don't understand what made this the best godzilla movie above and beyond the other fifty that were made.

>but when the american godzilla tried to not have a protagonist, it was total shit.
Godzilla 2014 did have a protagonist. Problem was he left no impression whatsoever. Military dude had no personality and no one to interact with. Meanwhile all of the other characters were sidelined early on. Bad combination.

Most Japanese Godzilla movies revolve around an ensemble cast.

It wasn't that good. The political commentary was extremely on the nose but that's because Japanese people can't understand anything unless it's spelled out for them. Anno really isn't a very good director and his fame came from standing on the shoulders of giants. He defaults to very generic motifs we've seen before and repeats himself a lot. A lot of of scenes are ripped straight from eva. Hell, the soundtrack had repeats of eva's ost, although I understand it's the same composer.

Anno's real talent lies in framing stylistic and dynamic shots, which we see a lot of in this film but there was so much variation that it became overbearing and nauseating. Literally every cut was a brand new shot, something that anime directors do all the time, so bringing an anime director whose specialty is in framing to direct a live action blockbuster wasn't a good idea. I understand he made other live action films before but it just shows his weaknesses as a director.

>I really don't understand what made this the best godzilla movie above and beyond the other fifty that were made.
I think the reason non-Japanese people enjoyed it was because it felt like the perfect fan film. It had call backs to previous films and "references" to Evangelion. There's also the fact that it's a new japenese godzilla so that alone makes people happy.

>It takes itself completely seriously, and as such it should be held to the standards of a serious movie.
This is also why I didn't really like it that much. Anno really wasn't competent enough this time around.

they were fucking kidding themselves when the nip-us ambassador said she was gonna be US president right?

A small dumb detail, US elections were going at the time, to make the writer seem more worldly and intelligent than they really are while also reinforcing the themes that tomorrow's politicians will hopefully learn from the mistakes of ones past.

>exposed core
Dumb.

It was decent, but way too overrated.
Overwritten script, jarring cuts in editing with out of place changes between wide shots and close up's, too much exposition about the narrative (and the constant on-screen textual exposition of every location and character was almost absurd), I liked the godzilla design but all the destruction around him looked cheesy, too much filler scenes etc.

The point of the slow bureaucracy is crystal clear in the first 5 minutes or so, you don't have to milk it for 2 hours straight.

Did you somehow miss all of the satire? And what modern Godzilla films don't take themselves seriously? A lot of the criticisms thrown at this movie keep end up being failures of understanding on the part of the one criticizing it.

I thought it was hot garbage. I go from it back to Destroy All Monsters, grateful that true cinema was once possible in the kaiju genre, even though we now live in a age of otaku dogshit.

Worthless work from a now-joke nation. If Japanese movies are so insular that they can't even make a Godzilla movie that roundeyes want to see, their race is run.

This man is a hero

>Japanese people can't understand anything unless it's spelled out for them
Nice projection.

The wording might be confusing. Anno decided to put real effort into making it more than just a simple film. I wasn't talking about the tone of the film but the intent.

>yfw the American cut of 1954 is more interesting to watch than the original

No man, it's very obvious. A subtle Japanese satire is one with ten rants directly addressing the target instead of twenty. A big part of the appeal of weeb culture is that you get to watch subtitled stuff, which makes you feel sophistcated, while you're actually being spoonfed *more* than you would be watching American media.

Now make a Godzilla VS Evangelion movie.

>weeb culture
There is no such thing.

Americans are the one always criticizing anime for not having the most basic by-the-book writing as possible, and complaining that "literally nothing happens" or that they don't understand what's going on.

Look at the monkey ears. Hitler allowed these people to be human?

It's true. Try doing some ironic humor for a Japanese person, a real one that actually lives there, and they'll think you're being completely serious.

>Americans are the one always criticizing anime for not having the most basic by-the-book writing as possible, and complaining that "literally nothing happens" or that they don't understand what's going on.
But we're not criticizing the movie for that nor are we discussing that. Nice projection.

People give it a lot of flak these days, however, it's a legitimately great film and the American distributors put real effort into being as respectful as possible to the original. Most of the story and the themes are intact. Also Burr is simply plain awesome.

We were not talking about the movie, and I wasn't projecting.

>where do you go from this
Nowhere, shin was a one time movie that cannot have sequels

True. But I meant as a franchise. Who do you get to write and/or direct the next live-action Japanese movie.

Sup Forums is that way>>>

Amerimutts just hate the idea of ethnically pure nations having patriotism.

It will probably be a long time since we see another weeb godzilla movie since legendary is working on their own
I just hope they don't fuck up ghidorah

>only the japanese don't get sarcasm

you should have been at the barbershop where the guy was calling everyone pinko commies and everyone took him seriously but me.

Legendary's contract is up in 2020 once Godzilla vs Kong wraps up. Either Legendary can get it renewed or Toho can start with their own films again. I feel they'll choose the latter. Shin Godzilla was a huge hit and more profitable for them than distributing Godzilla 2014 in Japan. So giving the reins to big name directors and letting them experiment seems to be the way to go. Kojima Godzilla when?

I'm not sure. I have a feeling they'll fuck up big time on the next one. I just want to see some cool ass monsters with real practical effects fucking each other up.

>kojima godzilla

that supposed to be Bagan?

>Kojima

>Godzilla was just frozen as he was evolving
>can't have sequels

Toho's contract with Legendary prohibits them from doing another live-action Godzilla until Godzilla vs Kong is out. That's why they're doing an anime trilogy now.

>kojima gozilla
>gozilla is a metal gear that launches nukes from its butthole

Dumb

I watched it and enjoyed it. Then I watched it again drunk af with my brother and we had a 10/10 film experience. My god Godzilla is funny and entertaining if you're wasted. I bet back in old days half the audience were trashed while watching it. Even if your not big into alcohol I'd recommend it, it's a perfect combo.

Fuckin covered in bitches. Hell yeah.

Watched it again last night. I was worried that it might not hold up under multiple viewings, but it's still fantastic. Definitely one of my all time favourite kaiju movies.