Decided to watch this at the glowing recommendation of Godzilla fans. Verdict: it kind of sucks

Decided to watch this at the glowing recommendation of Godzilla fans. Verdict: it kind of sucks.

Is this really considered the second best Godzilla movie? I enjoyed the original but this movie is laughably bad.

>Unremarkable characters
>Too many references to the original movie
>Awful and overly long Aliens rip-off sequence
>Lack of urgency or concern about the possible end of the world
>Most monster scenes just have monsters lazily shopped into background with people calmly going about their business in the foreground
>Fights consists monsters bumping into one another and sparks flying everywhere
>No sense of energy whatsoever and overall dull presentation
Is there anything else worth watching in this franchise?

Final Wars has that UFC guy that can't speak japanese so he just speaks english the whole movie like a star wars character

If you haven't already, watch Shin Godzilla, which is a legitimately good movie.

I agree that vs Destroyah isn't as good as most people say. I think a lot of people are attached to it solely because of the ending. Return of Godzilla, vs Biollante, and vs King Ghidorah are all from the same period and I'd say all of them are much better.

You could also maybe check out the some of the millennium series movies like GMK, Against Godzilla/Tokyo SOS, and Final Wars if you're specifically looking to monster fights with a lot more spectacle.

>Final Wars
Poster looks interesting. I guess I can give it a chance.

I wouldn't get your hopes up user, I thought FW sucked ass

Godzilla vs king ghidorah is legit good, have so many childhood memories of that film

I think it's overrated but it has some emotional moments. But really the 2nd series needs to be seen from beginning to end. GvD was really the seventh movie and the continuity isn't as loose as in the first and third series.

What's wrong with it?

Best Godzilla movie coming through
Make sure to watch the American cut

Stop pranking newcomers to the series.

this

Final Wars is the most tongue in cheek Godzilla film. It has the most human scenes in it, but the humans in that movie are actually fun to have around, ESPECIALLY Captain Gordon. There's some dumb super soldier plot but it works.

If you hated Destroyah you probably just aren't going to like Godzilla no matter what though. Granted, Destroyah has the same flaws as many other films and is good in a lot of ways but man, you really gotta chill for Godzilla.

Also /m/ is the board for Godzilla films. Just saying.

/m/ poster are fucking insufferable dicks
and I fucking love them

Threads on /m/ are for checking once a day.
Sup Forums and Sup Forums has some good Godzilla threads from time to time with meme dump and everything.

>Sup Forums

>If you hated Destroyah you probably just aren't going to like Godzilla no matter what though.
There are like two dozen movies. They all can't be that similar.

I honestly thought this was Sup Forums.

The entire movie feels like a crappy anime, while simultaneously managing to have incredibly lack luster fight scenes.

So

Shin Godzilla, Original Godzilla and Godzilla 1985 are the three that are actually very different movies, the rest all follow the same general plot, though the 90's era did these really well and certain millenium films are enjoyable.

>while simultaneously managing to have incredibly lack luster fight scenes.
Final Wars to this day had the best Kaiju fight choreography in the series, fuck you

So Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla vs Hedorah, and GMK are basically the same movies?

First series movies aren't for everyone. Except for the original 1954 Godzilla which is a masterpiece (but watch the Japanese version not the American cut) and Mothra vs. Godzilla. The rest are mostly stupid fun movies some better than others.
Second series follows one storyline. My favorite is probably Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla but this one should be watched from beginning to end.

Third series usually has no connection with one another but you can watch GMK from 2001 and the following two-parter Godzilla against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S. for actual real life anime shit.

>Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

The pteradon fanboy soldier is a fun protagonist, I'll give you that.

>The rest are mostly stupid fun movies some better than others.
> Monster Zero and Godzilla vs Hedorah aren't included as essential core and top tier material
Shame

Monster Zero is the movie with shortest screentime for Godzilla.

Best in the series hands down

>Monster screen time =/- movie quality
Yeah? But it also has some of the most likable human characters and the best use of the alien invasion scenario.

shin

My favorites
>Gojira 1954
>The Return of Godzilla 1984
>Godzilla vs Biollante 1989
>GMK 2001
>Shin Godzilla 2016

FW was a pure dogshit

>but watch the Japanese version not the American cut
What's wrong with the american cut?