Movie Theater Chain Stocks Collapse During Dismal Summer

>The largest chain, AMC Entertainment, with 11,083 screens in 1,009 theaters, has been hit hardest, its shares dropping a dramatic 45 percent since Memorial Day while the Dow Jones Industrial Average has gained nearly 4 percent.

>Regal Entertainment (7,379 screens in 566 theaters) has seen shares plunge 28 percent in the same time frame while shares of Cinemark Holdings (5,926 screens in 529 theaters) have dropped 18 percent.

>Owners of Imax, which operates a network of 1,257 giant movie screens at theaters worldwide, watched their shares plunge 31 percent while owners of National Cinemedia, the company most responsible for putting advertising on movie screens, saw their shares shed 25 percent of their value since Memorial Day.
hollywoodreporter.com/news/movie-theater-chain-stocks-collapse-dismal-summer-1034001
You are now are that movie theaters will go the same way of Blockbuster

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And nothing of value was lost
I'm still bitter about how they made a bunch of slightly larger screens and called them "IMAX" (bullshit) and then forced us to watch everything in 3D and pay $5 more if we wanted to see anything on them. Now assigned seats too. Fuck 'em.

Wow. No one wants to sit in a room full of niggers and children? When they can just download it?

Imagine that.

>spend $15 on a ticket
>spend $30 on a small popcorn
>walk through sticky aisles to get to your filthy, bed bug ridden seat
>try to watch a movie while people around you fuck around on their phones and sit their whispering to each other about the new twitter gossip

They aren't dying fast enough 2bh.

and don't forget 15-20 minutes of advertisements, commercials, and trailers

>Now assigned seats too
I actually like this idea. That and ordering food like Alamo theaters

>can't even pause the entertainment experience to do shots or rub one out to some pissing javs
good riddance

>tfw the little mom & pop movie theatre in town is still going strong after 30+ years, completely unaffected by the movie bubble
>still plays actual reels of film
>didn't fall for the 3d/digital/imax meme
>$5 tickets before 2pm, $7 after 4pm
Popcorn and everything else is still expensive as a regular theatre, but I still like to support them as much as I can.
The only down side is that they tend to only play family friendly stuff or shit for kids.
Small price to pay, I guess.

No one wants to come over to your mom's house, that is correct.

Bought some AMC at 12.58 for a long hold,wish me luck

This
I only go on a weekday during the day to at least enjoy a movie. I stopped going to showings at night and on the weekends unless its early in the morning.

It was bad season for american boxoffice... but foregin was really fine. Soon Hollywood will stop caring about USA anymore, as mostly movies, other than capeshit, flopped there. Then they go on foregin target. Some big studios already did it. For example Universal was aware of this, hence:
>Box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian. "If you look at [Universal's] Fast and Furious, 80 percent of its box office came from international.
They followed same strategy for mostly movies. Latest example, Despicable Me 3, FF8 and Mummy. FF8 success worldwide, so Despicable Me 3 and Cruise was also enough to save movie from total flop, like in King Arthur case. Noone really expected to pass 300-350 mil worldwide after terrible reviews, yet managed to hit 400. To compare, King Arthur and Valerian failed so badly, not even breaking even.

Regal just bought out the local theatres that were awesome and is slowly turning them to shit. Hope they learn their lesson and keep them as they were before.

>That pic

if you do this in the movie theatre, fuck you!

I like Alamo theaters but that's simply because you can order real food and hard alcohol at there

>IMAX is Bullshit
Nigga...

The assigned seats are only good on crowded shows, they're incredibly annoying on a matinee or a few weeks into a run. The food thing is completely distracting and unneeded, no one can't go 2 hours without a burger, come on now.

I hate wide screen movies. Full screen is so much better. BvS felt like I was watching the movie through a tiny black box on Blu Ray with how small the screen looked with those big black boxes on top and bottom

>Despicable Me 3, FF8 and Mummy. FF8 success worldwide, so Despicable Me 3 and Cruise was also enough to save movie from total flop
notice how all these movies had white straight people in charge and as main characters. gee really makes you think.

It's time for 4D movies where water drops on you

wow no one wants to watch jewish movies?

S-S-SHUT UP G-G-GOY I-I-ITS NOT LIKE I NEED YOUR M-M-MONEY OR AN-N-NYTHING

AMC bought out our Carmike and suddenly the popcorn isn't oversalted trash anymore.

Ye, thats one of aspects why they success worldwide and flop in USA. Americans are obsesed with forced 'diversity', and these movies had like none. Rest of world doesn't give a shit.

I expect more white leads, at least from Universal studios movies. They already know their strategy. US box office is dead for anything other than Marvel/DC capeshit or Disney with forced people of color, so why even bother.

>americans literally can't stop eating not even for a couple of hours

It says we need to stop wasting our white leads on our worst movies.

real life DLC

I hope they die faster

>more and more movies openly pushing leftist agendas
>celebrities openly alienating their audience over politics

Really Xs those Ys

I mean to post here and discuss anything you have to watch jewish content

youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

>Americans are obsessed with forced diversity
Declining movie sales probably mean that Americans aren't buying what Hollywood is selling. Hell, I personally boycott any movie with feminism, miscegenation, overt homosexuality, or anti-white bias.

The last movie I saw in the theater was Hacksaw Ridge.

Yeah well, I have a huge screen with an expensive surround system. So fuck movie theaters still stands as my comment.

>It's a retard from Sup Forums thinks everything somehow revolves around his infantile political beliefs episode
Rerun

>box office is dead for anything other than Marvel/DC capeshit or Disney with forced people of color, so why even bother.
It's literally the exact opposite you fucking retard.

Great news. The average shit burger that comes out on the big screen now is a sequel, not very many original movies anymore.

If this is really the 'golden age' of entertainment, you guys can just cuck my shit up, senpai.

>I am le smart because I want white countries to turn into Brazil

(You)

Yes, because everyone cares and pays close attention to politics, which is what everything else in the entire universe revolves around.

... what? kek
You sound nuts dude

>And nothing of value was lost
You do realize that if the theater industry goes down the drain then Hollywood will follow right behind them right?? If theaters start closing, then people can't pay ridiculous prices to watch movies on a big screen... if people can't pay ridiculous prices, then all movies would literally be dead on arrival. Movies studios would have to dramatically reduce what they spend to make a movie... it would be a giant shitshow that may even mark the end of the brief history of cinema

>Now assigned seats too. Fuck 'em
Fucking this for sure lol... you're just asking for problems when you assume that everyone in these theaters are going to be good little citizens and obey their assigned seat bullshit... the fear of finding some inconsiderate cocksucker in my seat when i get there is just another reason to avoid theaters

Yes, believe the propaganda. It will educate you and allow you to keep more of your money in your own pocket.

Yes they do and if they're too retarded for that they probably stick to youtube videos or instagram instead for their short attention span

Good. Everyone and everything in Hollywood is overvalued and overpriced. These people need to learn how not i portant they are. Movies will be better with smaller budgets, unless you like all the rollercoaster CG and special effects. In which case, you are what's wrong with film today.

>That and ordering food like Alamo theaters
I fucking hate that honestly.

By all means serve real food at the theater but it's fucking obnoxious having to try and quietly talk to the waitress while the movie is going on.
Or even worse when someone near you is asking a million fucking questions about the menu.

Keep living in your digital world user. It's more real to you than actual reality, a self-fulfilling wonderland of nothing where you are the one in charge.

Hollywood crushing with no survivors is the best that could happen.

When quoting me, please use full sentence. I clearly said:
>US box office is dead for anything other than Marvel/DC capeshit or Disney with forced people of color, so why even bother.
and then You bring me Marvel capeshit, saying it is opposite (even tho I clearly started what You actually mean, scroll up, read again) and calling me retard? Defend Yourself, and show me non-capeshit, non-SW, non-Disney US box office hit.

I'd go out and view more movies if there was less diversity pandering.

That's the fucking point, retard. Politics is starting to infect our entertainment, and no one fucking wants that.

ESPN is hemorrhaging millions of viewers every years because they're pushing politics onto sports, and Hollywood is having the same thing happen to them. Some people care about politics (which the world does, actually, revolve around), and those who don't want their entertainment to be free of that bullshit.

unless theaters make an actual attempt to offer a better experience than the privacy of my own home: where I can eat/drink/smoke whatever I want, pause/rewind, and lounge nude then I'm not going to waste a dime on them

The age of cinema is dead and nothing of value was lost.

I'm not so sure about this. They're experimenting with parallel digital releases to theater releases now and charging more and people are doing it. People paid $100 to watch Mayweather/McGregor. I don't pay for anything digital but people seem to think it's their civic duty. Maybe Netflix type movie releases will become the norm.

PICK IT UP WAGIE

Nobody wants to watch 500 million dollar CGI abortions with shit stories anymore.

>show me non-capeshit, non-SW, non-Disney US box office hit.
Annabelle: Creations. Capeshit only does well overseas

Good fuck going to the movies

Yeah man the entire world of sports is on the verge of collapse because there was a female NFL announcer once and some crybabies on twitter didn't like it. I'm sure it will crumble any second now, any second.

You're really out of touch, aren't you?

I love going to the cinema. It's a much better experience than watching on my computer. Stop being bandwagoning plebs.

They knew this was coming and their only answer was to raise concession prices.
I have no sympathy for the industry. People finally woke up and realized everything that comes out is agenda-setting trash.

Sports are actually very worried right now. NBA is concerned over sponsors/commercial profits.
Football ratings have been down a lot in the US, excluding the Superbowl. Only old-timers care about Baseball.
Plus, Hockey and Soccer interest has always been non-existent. People don't watch TV anymore and every sport is losing money.

Maybe Hollywood should produce something worth seeing. At this point I get angry when I see all these capeshit movies being churned out.

>every sport is losing money
Imagine being this deluded

IMAX is only good when:
>filmed on 15perf/70mm
>projected on 15perf/70mm
>actually large screen (70+foot tall)

Imagine burying your head in the sand and acting like nothing's wrong.

OY VEY WHY ARENT THE GOYIM PAYING SIX GORRILLION DOLLARS TO WATCH THESE WHITE WOMEN FALL IN LOVE WITH BLACK MEN

Anxiosuly waiting for the complete collapse. Good to see the industries are starting to topple over.

USA 2017 box office, with marked capeshit, disney/animation and vehicular action. Once You remove these (they are current trends, so they always are box office hits, barelly few movies hit 100 million. So far none 200, maybe Dunkirk is on way.

If that is going on, then management isn't doing their job. At those types of theaters, the clientele show up early anyway and the waiters grab your order before the previews even start. They come by again once like 20 minutes later to make sure things are OK and then give you the check 30 minutes from the end. It's that last one that bothers me, though.

NBA is skyrocketing in tv deal money AND overseas popularity

NFL only went down slightly last year - still highest grossing sport in THE WORLD

Baseball yeah is declining a little but will drop off more when baby boomers die out

Soccer is most popular sport in the world and its interest in US is small but ever growing

Make tickets $5 and instead of having a "No singles" policy, ONLY let single, autistic NEET men in. The atmosphere will be incredible.

Fuck my pussy with a rake mom

>You do realize that if the theater industry goes down the drain then Hollywood will follow right behind them right??

GOOD! That evil jewish hive filled with pedophile cokeheads can't die enough. Hollywood is responsible for more misery and child rape than the catholic church.

When you move out of your parents house you can get a home theater in your living room. There is a middle ground between watching on your computer and dropping $40 to go to the movies and buying a coke and popcorn

IS THIS THE DEVILISH /CLEAN IT UP WAGIE/ GENERAL

This, its the main reason I dont go more often.

>One ticket for one screening is $11
>One month of Amazon Prime/Netflix is $11

Gee I wonder why they are dying.

>coke and popcorn
really so hard to stay 2-2.5 hour without eating overpriced food? this shit doubles/tripples actual ticket price

movies these days are too left for my liking.

>celebrities openly alienating their audience over politics
>acting like this is new at all
Where the fuck were you during the Bush administration, living under a rock?

It just seems so stupid though, and I'm sure it's totally overpriced compared to the same meal in a normal restaraunt.

I would be uncomfortable eating anything other than popcorn in a theater. I like to pig out while watching a movie at home, I would feel rude eating some gourmet burger that I can't see due to the darkness while people next to me are trying to watch a movie.

The whole thing is so pretentious and seems like a big fad that sounds better online than IRL. I don't care how well trained the waiters are, having fucking waiters walking around during a movie sounds so goddamn annoying.

How much will the whole thing cost after tipping and two beers? $80? $100? This is such a rich hipster activity. Getting takeout from one of my favorite places and watching it in my home theater while smoking a joint or drinking a couple beers from the fridge sounds so much more enjoyable and economical.

its the fucking concessions man. I can't even go to a movie without getting nervous about what snacks i have to buy at a store and how to sneak them in. its fuckin annoying.

Of course, but I lile the option. What's better than popcorn and your favorite beverage while watching a movie?

And yeah that's my point, at home I can snack on whatever I want for free, which is why I don't go to the movies.

>for free
dirty gypsie

As bad as it was then it's off the fucking charts now with plenty of them going full fucking bonkers and calling for political revolution.

Good.
Kinoplexes are a hang over from the era of when people did not own a TV/only had a shitty little one with poor sounds.
This is also in line with the gradual isolation if the individual. Every aspect of human life where you have to interact with others will be replaced with a solitary alternative, because nothing ruins an activity more than other people.

I just come in right when the film starts according to the program, I do hate it when they say a film starts at 8:00 but instead that is when the trailers, powerpoint local business slideshow and commercials start. You got like 15min to get in before the actual movie begins.

I am more annoyed that it has gotten so expensive and that films are not that good nowadays. It is like we've entered the 90's era all over again where everyone has to best each other in CGI and the storyline is lacking quality. It is more about spectacle rather than storytelling and originality.

where are those pics of movie theater's with 'used' cucumbers lying around?

>imax owns aspect ratios now

>You are now are that movie
wut?

also, i blame china invading every fucking movie.

I just walk in with my 7/11 bag openly

People have told me stories of people being asked to leave but I never have

Honestly if you just move confidently and look people in the eye they don't fuck with you

All the while laying off projector staff en masse because any retard manager on duty can turn on a remotely queued digital projector in the morning.