Death Note Movie is actually good

Let's discuss.

You are wrong. Discussion over.

I didn't like that there were no cool quandaries. None at all. Felt like a cargo cult version of Death Note.

>make a Death Note adaptation with no keikaku
>expect the movie to be good

It was made by Adam Wingard, who is a master of making a comedy, that pretends a serious movie.
Kitch and mistakes from the anime are not fixed here, but exploited,
Many people are saying that this movie is funny, but they don't understand that it was intentionally made this way.

It isn't made for anime fans tho - it's made for people who liked death note some time ago, but now understands all its flaws.

>people not understanding it's a camp even afters scenes like this one

The soundtrack make it seem like it was supposed to be a comedy, but maybe that's just me. The thing I couldn't stand is how L just magically became a fucking track star and stunt driver when he was chasing Light. the whole movie I was trying to find something I liked about it and I just couldn't.

Because it was a comedy, a camp comedy. Watch different movies of Adam Wingard, The Guest for example.
At its heart this movie was a parody of Death Note is 80s' aesthetics.

The homage to movies like the terminator in the chase scene was brilliant - funny and satisfying.

I think you're looking too far into. It was a quick cash grab.

I'd never heard of Death Note before - not watched or read any of the weeb shit, only watched the film because of based Willem.

And as a non-fan I have to say that I was surprised by the film. It really was an emotional rollercoaster with fantastic acting and high st-

yeah no the film was shit

It was very mediocre, but so is the shitty anime.

No, actually i'm not, i'm just familiar with Wingard's style.

Hello Wingard. Your movie is bad.

you have shit taste and you should feel bad

Wingard's actually kinda troll the whole fanbase. He is the only artist who saw what kind of antisocial asshole Light is. So he's intentionally cringy. Mia is especially edgy and watches b movies with gore, also she has a sticker "Normal people scare me" in her locker,

The whole idea of two teenagers wonderfully predicting all of the opponent's moves is kind of goody. But this movie nails it in showing that.

>Edgy contrarian.

What do you consider a good anime? Some moe type shit?

That user isn't Adam Wingard, he's just familiar with Adam's style and for the record, he's completely correct in his analysis.

The so-called critics of Death Note (2017) now available on Netflix are missing the point so thoroughly that I can't help but wonder if a) this isn't some sort of astroturfing campaign from a competing service or b) society is so dumb and thin-skinned now that even a not-so-subtle comedy offends everyone and they insist that it's bad but not on purpose.

If Cannibal the Musical were released in 2017, I bet you'd all claim it was awful and there would be protests in the streets. Watch The Guest. It's obvious what's going on here. Why are you all so ignorant and stupid?

>pretending this shitty movie is any good
Hey look, it's the new BvS!

what's keikaku again, the word is familiar

Keikaku = Plan

it means cool quandaries in dainippongo

>what's _____ again

I hate people that post this so much. They're too stupid to google it but still feel the need to remind people that they still technically knew the information. Just fucking end your life.

what's dainippongo again, the word is familiar

take note: keikaku means plan

AYO

>Death Note movie is actually good

I really enjoyed this film

Movie is shit

dainippon means waiting patiently for revenge and go means language/dialect/speech

it's literally Sup Forums the movie

>bad guy is autistic nig
>mc kills girl for being a bitch

L's actor is the only one who's actually performing Death Note. Everybody else is doing... well, they're doing SOMETHING.
Dude showed up to the casting dressed as L and nails a lot of his mannerisms. It's really not his fault that the script is garbage and forced him to go apeshit and run around with a gun.

Are we sure that wasn't ad libbed?

Exactly
It's annoying how people who watch b movies on daily basis can't recognize that this movie is an intentional exploitation.

this

>watching an adaptation before the original

WEW LAD

>L actually addressing a crowd in public, people he don't know
>L getting outsmarted by some dumb school bitch

Yeah no, L is certainly doing SOMETHING

I ain't no weeb Chef

Wingard is one of the best directors around. If Lloyd Kaufman ever dies, Wingard should take the reins.

>Actually thinking an adaptation is bad because it's different from the original.

It's possible that Stanfield just did L as he saw fit and nobody bothered to correct him.

And Watari is literally Watari. Again, not the actor's fault that the script was garbage.
All I'm saying is that he's the one who's trying the hardest. Light is laughable and inconsistent, his dad looks confused and lost and not in an in-universe sense, Mia has no backstory, Ryuk is a generic whispering demon that serves no purpose in the story.

>weeb
>implying anime isn't mainstream now

WEW LAD

The original content was over hyped IMO so if the movie was trash its because the source material is trash. Hated anime ever since I finished that whole story.

>chef

It's a bad adaptation and it's a bad stand alone movie.

It didn't have enough keikaku.

Step out of your ignorant bubbles and actually watch The Guest.
Also, how can you not understand the comedic intentions, ignoring all the signs of it, the movie gives.

>Light Turner
>always turns left

Cowboy Bebop?

i felt as a fuck you to fans of the original.
In the sense that the main character is the embodiment of all those dweebs that want to take revenge on the world and stuff.

I still like it because to me its a: "well, what if it happened in America?" this is exactly how it would be.
Not perfect, not that shitty. Its fun, plus Atticus Ross's OST and Score is 10/10

>A cop being outsmarted by a dumb school girl

It's obvious it's going to be different from the original but they shitted up every fucking aspect of it.

>gorillionth death note thread in the last few days
How do we feel that Netflix has deemed the Sup Forums catalog important enough to astroturf on?

>I still like it because to me its a: "well, what if it happened in America?" this is exactly how it would be.
Because the original was realistically what would happen in Japan. Right.

In the original the whole world was outsmarted by a school boy and cop being outsmarted by a girl bothers you?

As I said - the movie isn't trying to fix anime but takes all of its flaws and exploit them.

Learn what camp is and actually make yourself familiar with Adam's style.

I can't belive how stupid the arguments against this movie are.

that screaming scene was worth it all, funniest thing I've seen in a film in years

Yup, that scene was funny af. Adam Wingard is a genius.

Also, Lakeith Stanfield performance was superb.
He made all of the L's poses belivable.
He was even running is anime's way.

That's the quality response and i agree in every way.

>teacher didn't return to find the detention hall trashed and give Light a questioning eyebrow to which he shrugs in response
missed opportunity

That's true, but i think that nobody would really care about that after decapitation of a student 10 seconds ago.

THOUGHT IT WOULDNT MATTER

>Light specifies decapitation
>ladder only takes cranium but not mandible
PLOT HOLES ANYONE?

IF WE DIDN'T STAY TOGETHER

>filename

I was thinking about this the whole movie.

Ugly people playing beautiful characters. Liberal diversity quotas in action again. Shit movie.

So can anyone explain to me why japanese cartoons FOR CHILDREN are more intellectual than your average american tv show/movie?

Are Americans really this retarded?

Maybe because Japanese people have higher average IQ so it's logical that when they're making something for average citizen they have to make it more intellectual for it to be popular?

This is basic logic.

huh really makes you think.

FP not necessarily the best, but still the majority opinion based on a solid chunk of the show that seems pretty shitty P

That is not the detention hall teacher's purview. Detention hall teacher should be concerned with order within detention classroom, not decapitations of students outside.

transaltors note: keikaku means plan

That word has lost any and all meaning. Also you'd do well to stop trying so hard to fit in on newfag boards

>those little islands

that made me laugh

It's because Death Note is for teenagers, not children, and Americans are especially retarded.

Damn this is some of the edgiest tryhard shit I have ever seen.

>japanese cartoons FOR CHILDREN are more intellectual than your average american tv show/movie?
The average anime is arguably as terrible as the average american television show. Death Note is a particularly good one and not a decent example of typical weebshit. For every Death Note there's 100 garbage moeshits.

I did not enjoy it.

I thought going in at very least I would enjoy Willem Dafoe as Ryuk but no.

>being so much of a plen that you disregard hundreds of shows for being "moeshits"

It feels incomplete, even though I like it very much. I think people's complaints with the characters will be adressed with more character development in the sequel. I like how Light subtly became more manipulative as it went on, and Ryuk shows up subtly to influence him at times

ryuk shouldn't really influence light though, he is pretty neutral through the entire affair

In my opinion he came across as having forced intelligence.

those are script problems not actor's. bLack nailed all of L's movements and quirks when he had a chance to show them, when the script asked for him to start acting retarded, there's just so much he can do.

What exactly is the problem with the anime/manga story? Like, a real problem.

I mean his presense seemed to influence Light, like in a figurative way. Did you like Ryuk's cgi? I rewatched it and even when he's brightly lit he looks very realistic. Other than the face, something about that.

It's about a bunch of kids predicting each others' behavior in a goofy and totally unbelievable fashion? The method they're using has many loopholes? Light is said to be a genius but he's such an idiot at times? It's Qurcky and goofy? It's full of kitsch?

I don't, you tell me.
Those aren't even the only problems.

>using the hidden piece in his watch but still carrying the Note around

For what purpose?

How did the guy who killed their mom even die? He gets bumped a little and then shoots blood and brain juice everywhere.

thats when he picks the note up and regains his memories you mongoloid

if he wrote down the yakuzas name in the normal book and he was the first one to hold it then it would be obvious that he did it, which is why he hid a piece of the notebook in his watch before giving up his memories

I've seen this criticism before in these threads, but in the manga and anime, L used airtight deduction to pinpoint Light as the culprit. Nothing goofy, no hunches, just logic.

That's because the costume is real, only the face is CGI.

>Girl obviously killed the fbi agents
>Has demonstrated multiple times that she's psychopathic to the extreme
>his immediate assumption is "le magic deathgod loophole"
Yeah, he sure is "exceptionally bright"....

>Could have hired a japanese guy to play L and would have fit the background way better
>Decide to go with a hooded, masked black guy for maximum #blacklivesmatter political parallels
Why is american media so cucked up?

The movie is so goddamn retarded.

Light in particular is a complete fucking moron.

BE HONEST WITH ME Sup Forums. Most of the people I know in real life said they enjoyed this movie.

Is the movie actually shit, or does it just trigger weeabo autistic manchildren and Sup Forumslacks who hate the fact that L is a nigger?

From reading these threads, I'm getting a sense that it may be the later.

Wasn't the whole point that the characters were American instead of Japanese?

I pretend to like the movie irl whenever asked about it

You're calling playing specific message with guy pretending to be him only in a specific part of Japan a good plan? Most of the plans have no fundation to even work. They do only in the goofy fashion the show have and because makers can figure out if the characters are intelligent or stupid, so it constantly changes.

I liked this movie for all the wrong reasons. I liked it because of how bad it is. And no, it trying to be campy doesn't excuse how shit it is. I like how Adam is so unsure of his own film making skills that he falls back to something he knows. Why make a good adaptation of Death Note or a unique story that's set within the death note universe that's still a good film when we can go campy with everything?

Make it all retarded and when anyone points out the flaws i can just use the excuse that it was supposed to be that way.

Yeah, I think playing specific messages in different parts of the world starting with the zone he suspected the most because of the similar crime he identified as occurring in that region makes sense especially considering that this was created in the early 2000s before the Internet was ubiquitous. I don't understand your criticism at all. You're stating something rational which occurred in the series and then expressing disbelief at it without explaining the wherefores. Can you elucidate? L desu.

Black L started out well then it it went to shit and it wasn't L any more.