Is Alien: Covenant the Pleb-filter film of 2017...

Is Alien: Covenant the Pleb-filter film of 2017? It seems that filmgoing audiences and James Cameron's “Aliens” fans just don't get it. But if they actually paid attention, and used some reasoning, all of the answers in the movie are easy to see.

>Why the fuck did they go off course and colonize a planet?

Because they just lost 50 colonists and their captain in a hyper-sleep incident, and didn't want to go to sleep again? Furthermore, Walter and Mother talk about how the ship has systems that are critical condition. So going out of the way to a planet that could host a colony makes sense. Add that to the fact that the crew had no intention of going back to sleep, so Captain Cruddup had his hand forced.

>Why the fuck did David nuke the Engineers with the black slime bombs? I thought we were supposed to get our answers from Prometheus!

Besides the fact that one of them ripped his head off and tried to nuke Earth? The answer is that there are no answers. Planet 4 had something fishy going on with it's Engineers. Whether or not they were the same species living on a remote colony, a seeded species, they looked primitive, and only had the capacity to dock a single ship. The fact that they greeted the ship with bombs with cheers indicates that they truly wanted humanity wiped out. They were inferior, and David destroyed an inferior civilization. This feeds into the themes of creator and creation, death and destruction. In any case, the amount of Engineers in the movie was reduced due to studio interference(idiot fanboys who wanted more of MUH XENOMORPHS)

>David said he loved Shaw, so why did he kill her?

This can be interpolated from the birth of the Xenomorph out of Cruddup. David is overjoyed, stretching out his arms, like a father. Shaw and him could never have children. The xenomorphs are the children of David and Shaw. He is their father in a literal and figurative sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wK8kK4hY6PA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why does the crew of the Covenant trust David?

Because synthetics are programmed to help humans, and he just rescued them.

>Why did David misquote Shelley?

To show that David is ultimately imperfect

>Why are the characters so shallow?

They are serviceable,and as fleshed out as they need to be. The bulk of the film's attention is rightfully turned towards David, the main character. David is the main character of the film, not the crew of the Covenant. The fact that this criticism frequently comes from fans of Aliens is baffling, since that flick has a huge amount of .5-dimensional space marines who mug the camera, and a corporate stereotype that Cameron would recycle again Avatar.

>Why did Cruddup let himself get implanted by a face-hugger?

He's never seen an Alien movie before. David had saved his crew, and given them shelter. His experiments were all dead, and can be seen as an attempt to understand the indigenous lifeforms of the planet(as far as he knew), he had nothing to fear.

>Where's MUH QUEEN

Literally James Cameron fanfiction, get over yourself. Do you honestly think a perfect creature would live in such a way as to have a major weak point?

>Why is he quoting Milton?

Because David has decided he'd rather be a creator, than a servant, and he'll step on anyone to get what he wants(his perfect creations)

>Why is everybody married? They're doing this just for thin characterization!

Married couples colonizing a new planet(The main function of the Covenant), what a surprise!

>What the fuck, why can the alien resist gunfire so much? Aliens told me me they die in just a few shots!

James Cameron deviated from the vision of the Xenomorphs and turned them into mindless bugs. Ridley Scott returned to form and enhanced the xenomorphs to make them dangerous and menacing, which they never were since Aliens, and especially the prole-sludge AVP franchise.

That's all that I can think of for now, but here are a few parting notes.

>The Alien prequels are pseudo-intellectual garbage!

It seems that anything that deviates from the norm is called pretentious or garbage. Scott answers the questions of what it means to be human brutally with the character of David. It is telling of the Alien fanbase that Aliens is considered the best one, since any entry that tries to rise above Cameron's cliche'd schlok (Alien 3), is derided. Alien fans are manchildren who want to see bugs get blown up, and cried when Scott decided to return the franchise to its roots. Aliens is the most harmful movie to the entire franchise, and warped fan perceptions of what the films should be for decades.

>Alien 5 should have been made! I'll vote this a 1 at IMDB!

The fact that Alien fans thought a movie about decrepit hag Ripley and ancien Biehn would be a good idea, shows how out of touch this entire fanbase is. Instead of yearning for visceral body horror(the slime), interspecies rape(Facehuggers, the trilobite Shaw is infected with), Gigerian landscapes (The derelict, the engineer ships in prometheus, the “””engineer””” city), we get run down factory set-pieces for space-marines to shout stereotypical one liners at xenomorphs. This is a grim reflection of the fanbase: A refusal to let go, and cling desperately to the past with old characters, instead of daring to explore the franchise.

I'm surprised by the amount of people who just didn't get it. What the hell has gone wrong with our culture? Is it impossible for people to look at a screen, make an observation, and connect the threads together? I figured this all out on my first viewing, and I'm not going to blame millenials or Gen Z, since older fans do it as well. How much of a brainlet do you have to be to just not get the Milton Quote, or the flute scene?

Easily one of my top 3 films of 2017.

leaders of 2000+ lives mission are so stupid, even for horror/scifi standards they were just dumb.

>main character says they shouldn't go down there because of totally logical reasons
>everyone else doesn't because it would take too long despite this being a non issue due to hypersleep

You know how they could've fixed this obvious plot hole? Totally fuck up the solar sail or create a situation where further travel would be impossible

gahdam

I don't know, I thought Franco was on fire.

But seriously, although the real answer is "there won't be a movie". John Hurt did the same thing in 1979, don't see anyone crying about that.

They just wanted to check it out anyway, and leave if it wasn't suitable for human habitation. How could they have known mega-death spores were on the planet? Especially with the storms that would've blocked probes.

John Hurt wasn't following the orders of someone who just 5 minutes before he was prepared to kill for empathizing with the enemy

>Because synthetics are programmed to help humans, and he just rescued them.
This doesn't explain why it took them so long to ask what was happening (and even then they only sent 1 person who didn't relay any info)

>Married couples colonizing a new planet(The main function of the Covenant), what a surprise!
so why include a gay couple?

agree otherwise, tho

My biggest complaint was that David didn't have a hole in his chin from the nail whats her face lodged in. So the whole time you are wondering about it, is he David or the other robot?... And then the reveal about his chin. Zero damage on his chin. Easy to assume he's the friendly robot. Not David. Then the end happens and she finds out he's David from the conversation about the cabin on the lake David was unaware of. It just felt really lame. Just keep up with important contiunity.. thats all you had to do Ridley Scott.. fuck.

And there's another dead crewman's corpse floating right in front of him. He'd have to be the stupidest man to have ever lived to not have any fear at that point. And then to just stick his face in some organic who knows what just because he was told? The man has no survival instinct whatsoever.

the short haired chick's points should've been considered though and her choice to only tell the captain just seemed like weak writing

>storms
Shouldn't that have been a reasonable indication that it wouldn't have been habitable in the first place? they already knew that their destination was by all indications perfect

youtube.com/watch?v=wK8kK4hY6PA

it was garbage, sorry ridley. try not to fuck up blade runner too

Whether or not you agree or disagree with the character, he was impressed enough not to gun down David despite being shown his experiments. He was too curious for his own good, and I think it was established from his opening scene that he wasn't captain material.

>And then the reveal about his chin. Zero damage on his chin

He was shown repairing himself earlier.

>storms
>Shouldn't that have been a reasonable indication that it wouldn't have been habitable in the first place?

That didn't stop the crew of the Prometheus, did it? In any case, they just wanted to do a quick look of the planet.

I actually liked Alien Covenant and would give it a 7.5/10.
I didn't understand all the hate either

Yeah lets check out a biological diverse planet with no fucking helmets on. Smaaaart move. The biggest threat to your health on a new planet is micro biology. This is basic scientific knowledge.

From a film production point of view though it makes sense. Helmets are a big pain in the ass to film your actors in.

I blame it on the fact that it wasn't the Prometheus sequel Prometheus fans wanted, wasn't Alien 5 like Aliens fans wanted, and so alienated everyone by appealing to both.

>all the plotholes are easily fixed according to some fat faggot in a basement therefore it's a good movie

wow good work

The reveal at the end was fun BECAUSE you knew it was coming.
Anticipation, dread and release >>>>>>>>>> muh surprises

The newer model had the ability to self repair. David did not. You never saw him fix his chin. When he was "shown repairing himself" he was stapling his big gaping face wound together.

>This doesn't explain why it took them so long to ask what was happening (and even then they only sent 1 person who didn't relay any info)

Shock over just being attacked, and a need for shelter, they just want to leave as soon as possible. David placated them by writing off the warped engineer corpses in the city square.

I'm not explaining anything, the movie explains it for you. This isn't grasping at straws.

Captain material? No. It's a small wonder that a man so useless and dimwitted could even dress himself.

You just know he's going to shove in that "DECKARD IS A REPLICANT! WHAT A COOL TWIST LMAO" bullshit in.

>I'm not explaining anything, the movie explains it for you. This isn't grasping at straws
doesn't change the fact that the movie is shit. just because there's retarded answers to the retarded problems in the movie doesn't somehow elevate it to masterpiece or even meh tier

So you're saying that there isn't a single goo thing about it? It's more elegant script than Aliens. I'll take a film that analyzes what it means to create and destroy, than a film like Aliens.

The Alien prequels are the most interesting series of the 2010s

Glad you didn't try to defend the amateur CGI that made the alien look like a colossal turd. No excuse for that

Are you the guy who made those hilariously bad youtube videos, of which the prometheus explained one was mostly wrong?

i got it. i just thought it was shit and a huge waste of everybody's time.

Is there a good image that explains the chronology of all the movies?

>Literally James Cameron fanfiction, get over yourself. Do you honestly think a perfect creature would live in such a way as to have a major weak point?
You're an idiot if you don't think David is going to be destroyed by a Queen.

@87187595
it's the ultimate anti pleb filter, sorry kiddo.

and it looks like sjw infection has got it just like covenant too

>leaders of 2000+ lives mission
If not for the space anomaly the mission would be to wake up and tell the pilots to ferry people between the colony ship and the surface, his job could have been handled by an autocue, why send a genius?

>they already knew that their destination was by all indications perfect
They knew nothing except probability studies. They didn't even know if it had life on it, so much so that they brought logs to build a cabin as they didn't even know if it had trees.

What people now call an "obvious twist" used to be known as "dramatic irony", I think it's genuine autism that stops people from grasping the difference.

I've not seen one.

Canon Chronology:

Prometheus -> Covenant -> Alien

Non-canon Chronology:

Predator -> Predator 2 -> Alien vs. Predator -> Alien vs. Predator: Requiem -> Predators (remember that? Betcha don't) -> Alien -> Aliens -> Alien 3 -> Alien Resurrection

>this is basic scientific knowledge

no, the basic scientific knowledge is the fact that the chances of any microorganism on a planet where your own species didn't evolve could in any way effect you AT ALL is basically zero

Biological threats are not the only reason to wear a helmet. There could be toxic gases or metals present.

>Predators (remember that? Betcha don't)
I remember it being shit, but a decent popcorn flick.

why was the away team of a 2000+ ship of wakeable people composed entirely of the most important crew members?

why did the cunt in the cryopod at the end take so little to realise david had swapped with walter? why did she only think to test this at the point she had the least amount of power to do anything about it?

why do the away team go down without protective suits?

why does danny mcbride break all the rules and risk taking the ship through the storm? why is someone who breaks protocol on a whim even a crew member?