House of leaves

could it be adapted?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SzikIwPPle0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hahaha no.

absolutely not.

They'd have to focus exclusively on The Navidson Record's 5 and a half minute hallway and I get the feeling it would just end up some god awful found footage horror movie with nods to the novel and Truant narrating the mess

Could they? Probably. Should they? Fuck no.

How would you adapt the central conceit, the "hole" in the middle of the novel? Just have the middle part of the movie be an incomprehensible stream of random images?

True Detective season 3

They'd just make it into a soullessly hollow shell of a movie devoid of all the things that made the book such an interactive experience. Hence why I said it should NOT be adapted

They'd make it a generic monster movie with a minotaur and a "spooky" long hallway.

Nope. The best they could do is like a TV series that tries to do what it did for books but for TV. I dont know how that would work though. Wouldn't really be an adaptation either. It would have to be art house/experimental as fuck which means it'll never get made

Fucked up thing is you're probably right bro

Yes.

The novel has a lot of meta gimmicks; just discard those and tell the stories how it is. The focus should be on the Navidsons, with occassional intermezzos on the other sub plots, then tie them together towards the end.

redpill me on this book whats so "unfilmable" about it?

Yeah, i could see it being made.

But to be perfectly honest

THEY SHOULD NOT MAKE THIS INTO A FILM

>dude lets adapt a mediocre book that revolves all around a gimmicks that can only be used as a book
great fucking idea, dumbo

because it's a academic paper that's been edited and interrupted by a rambling (RAMBLING) druggie

Thats the book

The meta gimmicks are what make the novel fun. Deviating your focus from a POV chapter to pour over sidebar notes which leads to appendixes which leads to more sidebars. It's cleverly designed to fuck with you. Removing it would just leave us with a generic spooky house horror movie that's only HOL in name alone. No reason to adapt it

>tell the stories how it is

Nigger, I've read this book twice and I still don't know wtf happened.

How bout you red pill yourself and read a book

no because you can't put footnotes in a movie

This. It's pretty enjoyable and the gimmick is neat

Make sure you get the edition with differently colored ink, there is an important plot point about teh text written in red that is lost in the later printings that were in all-black.

and sometimes i feel like i'm on fire

I read House of Leaves as an eBook. I'm working my way through Infinite Jest on my Kindle now.

Have you ever played MGS 2? It's kind of like that, in that it's an incredibly meta work of fiction that relies on its medium to make a bunch of points about itself. Switching mediums would take away most of the point of the book.

In other words, pretty much this:

>I'm working my way through Infinite Jest now
Luck be with you m8. It's a lot to digest

direct me to a movie which has a similar paranormal element going on as HoS

that alone should be worth adapting it

this, even though its not as good as 2666 or gravitys rainbow or any number of other novels its still good entry level adult fiction for add addled minds that need a gimmick to latch onto. its still better than 90% of the garbage on the new yorks times best sellers list or what have you.

Grave Encounters

how about a dvd commentary type of thing

commentary runs alongside the film, instead of pausing it to go on a tangent

yeah, no

ok a movie about a guy watching a movie he pauses it and discusses it with his autistic friends
could that work?

like the horror anthology VHS?

So? Do you not get the footnotes and such?

What if the movie is released on, like, 9 DVDs and has you swapping between several different discs, choosing specific scenes from the scene selection, watching the same scene with and with different audio track, multiple sets of subtitles that all convey different information, etc to replicate the feeling?

yes, but maybe change the name
like: game of leaves, or house of thrones
and incorporate some scenes of topless women
and decapitation, and a few rapes

i think the academic citations zampano put in could be quick flashes of text on the bottom of the screen while he narrates them. when i'm reading those sections, they're always brief and don't add much aside from the title somehow referencing the subject.

certain scenes, like when he lists two entire fucking pages of photographers, could take up the entire screen, creating a disorientating effect.

i dunno a way to integrate johnny's asides other than specifically cutting to him

The physical layout of the words on the pages is important to the book's style, I have no idea if there is an electronic version but the physical copy is an absolute must

I knew you would say it doesn't count. It doesn't matter that it's a shit movie, it has a similar premise to the Navidson Record and that's what you asked for.

similarly (and i'm going by memory because i haven't gotten to this part on a reread), during exploration 4 when the blue boxes and the weird typography starts showing up, you could have the exact same shot from a reverse angle played in a picture-in-picture frame

the frame could grow and shrink to replicate the feeling of claustrophobia

if HOL makes it to screen, it needs a good editor more than a good director.

it's literally a generic haunted place movie with spooky and angry abloobloo ghosts creeping about, killing characters one by one

compare that to the goings on in house of leaves

The red and blue ink was important to the plot?

Yes, it's not random, there's a hidden message written in it that explains a bunch of stuff (well, some stuff).

Could The Wasp Factory be adapted?

The short? Sure, it'd make a good creepy horror flick. The whole anthology? Anthology movies are always terrible.

I thought they were the same words? Just minotaur, house, and maybe something else. It's been a while since I read it but I still have it. Maybe I need to flip through it.

house being in blue doesn't matter right? it's just the word house

Adapting this is like adapting Watchmen. Sure you can do it but what makes the original special is how tied it is to the medium it came from and what it did with that medium. You can turn the story into a movie but it wont be as extraordinary as the book.

Of course you're not mentioning how the building in that movie traps the characters and keeps distorting itself to confuse them. Or the attempted suicides to escape it. You know, the same things that happen during the whole "maze" part of the book.

I get that you wouldn't want a shitty found footage movie to be able to be compared to your meme book, because people seem to get weirdly devoted to it, but I'm far from the only person who's noticed the similarity.

Yeah, no. Watchmen has some weird aspects but is basically a straightforward narrative, House of Lulz is barely comprehensible and formatted in such a way as to defy adaptation or even a narrative of any kind.

It could sort of work if it was a series released on Netflix or some streaming service. Release all the episodes together and have them be like a puzzle somehow. Different episodes would have different formats/styles of storytelling. Secret messages, scenes out of order, stuff like that. Probably would end up more like a lite ARG than a show though.

None of that changes Grave Encounters being a shitty movie

>the plot description
>this was the author trying to "go mainstream"
haha fuck

dem trips tho

The similarities are surface level at best. You'd be more accurate by comparing it to Blair Witch. But those area distortions alone are not what make HoS what it is. I think you're a twat, honestly.

literally the Welcome to Night Vale of literature

>t. Literally a faggot

Tanis comes closest

Just like House of Leaves, who would have thought?

youtube.com/watch?v=SzikIwPPle0

Fucking maybe.

Fuck you, Creepshow was great.

its been adapted

its called
dogshit the movie look how big my faggoty magic house is: the angry johnny years

fuck that garbage book

It's a baby book for pretentious hipsters, terribly drawn out, the main story is intertwined with another story about an absolutely loathsome faggot sleazebag and it's literally so forgettable that I don't even remember how it ended.

I'd like to see an attempt made, even if it was an absolute mess.
The fans would sperg the fuck out, but fuck them.

I LIVE AT THE END OF A FIVE AND A HALF MINUTE HALLWAY

The Wachowskis had a hard work adapting Cloud Atlas, and the narrative structure of that is normal compared to this one.
So no I don't think it is possible.

Would it be worth it? It's not really all that great a story and what makes it interesting is the gimmicky writing. Take that away and your left with something that might make a decent but not exactly groundbreaking tv-show.

lynch could do it