quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
wilfredacomic.tumblr.com/
taleofjaspergold.com/
jetpens.com/Deleter-Comic-Paper-A4-Plain-135-kg-40-Sheets/pd/10498
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronicle_(film)
zyxcity.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

Reposting this with a new panel for a new thread :). This is my new (and first) attempt at a web comic. Dystopian cyberpunk future ran by automated machines, psychotic devolved humans and hyper-intelligent animals who turn out to be a bunch of assholes and weirdos.

cyberworldweekly.wordpress.com

A portapoise?
>fish hat
PERRY the portapoise!?!

The font I use for my webcomic stopped working in photoshop.Everytime I go to use "System" font, it gives me this message "something prevented the text engine from being initialized."

Anybody familiar with this problem? And if not, anyone know where I can get a copy of pre-programmed fonts? It would look really weird to change my font dialogue all of a sudden.

Also a WIP of something.

not to beat around the obvious, but when I googled that error, I got tons of results. you're not alone
when it comes to photoshop, I find it's best to just restart the program.. and in the case of the font it wouldnt be hard at all to reinstall in the fonts folder

Scanned

I feel dumb asking because it seems like such an obvious solution, and I looked everywhere for an answer or a font to replace it, but still having the issue. I can't delete it because I think it's essential to windows, and the word "system" brings everything I don't need when trying to find the font file to replace it or make a dummy copy.

I'm using a cracked version of CS3, so not sure if that's my problem also; it was working before, and I can still use "System" in MS_Paint just fine. Closing and opening the app again doesn't work.

Also scanned

playin' him like a fiddle
the font is in your font file, silly. and if you can't find that, search your system for a font name like arial
>app
program

Just uploaded the second strip of Wilfreda's Halloween Spooktacular. Miriam Wintercaster (Wilfreda's mother) challenges her daughter and Victor, an impatient little boy, to a Trick-o-Treating contest.

"Wilfreda the Wanna-Be Witch" is a little webcomic about a girl who claims to be a witch. This is the second strip of a Halloween story arc. Keep updated here: wilfredacomic.tumblr.com/

i love this goofy-ass humor. it feels so .. european

zis a good design?

>tfw you give up on a story and scrap all the writing

This page is gonna take me a few days to complete.
taleofjaspergold.com/

damn, all them perfect wooden buildings.. that perspective..
how large is this paper?

Checked.
Also, its standard comic sized.
11X17

goddamn

I used to buy the canson brand that had the blue lines already printed on them, but it was almost $10 more than pic related. This is my current favorite type of paper for comics. The smooth finish is perfect. Your pencils glide along the surface like butter.

>tfw my original comic is 10 pounds of printer paper in a box somewhere. and the paper is really dirty and full of eraser shavings and my shed hair
I'm kind of glad to be digital now but the way you do things just seems classier somehow

Aint nothing wrong with doing comics on printer paper. But that paper will take quite a beating after a while. I've seen a few artists who do their roughs/thumbnails on printer paper, then scan it and finish it off digitally.

>I'm kind of glad to be digital now but the way you do things just seems classier somehow

To each his own. I personally don't really like the "mechanical" way digital feels. I've tried drawing on tablets and ot wasn't for me. But good on ya m8.

Personally there is something romanticised about being a traditional artsit that I like and prefer. The smell of ink, the friction of your pencils on paper. The feeling of tearing out a blank board and setting up your page.

I plan to dabble more into digital territory once I have the space for a proper setup.

Also digital looks like smeared garbage

Ehh. As I've said before, to each his own.

>be at library
>hot girl in front of me
>she drops her book
>she bends down to pick it up
>turns around and looks at me
>"like what you see"
>people go "oooooh" then "shhhh" cause its the library
>palms are penne
>knees meat arms are heavy
>mom's spaghetti

Canon

A rare detailed page. To be inked later.

>tfw not good at writing

What size is that sheet, A3?

Hello I'm back
This dialogue is bothering me and I don't know why or what to do to fix it.

The screaming mouth feels like it should be an opening. I'd either close the mouth or remove the spot black so that you can see the surface of the cauldron and it doesn't look like a hole.

Wip

I think you may be over thinking things. the page looks good! although I am at a loss of context due to not having read any of the rest.

Your stuff always looks soooo great and I love how it looks a lot. The kind of thing I picture myself striving for!
Seems to me it's going ok so far, the thing on my mind the most is how the panels break right on the edge of the paper...I guess it's not a huge issue though.

Anyway I'm posting 2 pages I just got about done with, I really had to break through the urge to stop because it didn't meet my own standards. I haven't drawn comics in so long and I'm not feeling as accomplished as I want to, but I want more pages to happen so I try to ignore it. This story is sort of about a washed up former cartoon who sort of wants to get his old, obscure show back together.

I like nibs, but they don't like me (or my paper, or something) so I resorted to faber castells and microns...It's just not hitting the spot though. In fact, I wish I could make lead a viable thing to work with, or a step further with lead + watercolor but now I'm ahead of myself. Ink is just starting to bother me, but it feels the most professional and 'right' thing to do, I don't know if I even could switch to something that would like better when scanned.

2/2 "finished" pages

Your guy's got a really bad case of side mouth and it's making his expressions look a lot more derpy than I think you want them to.
I took the liberty of moving his mouth so it's more centered under his nose and I think it looks a lot better.

How thoroughly are you constructing your heads? Having a center line to make sure your facial features line up would really help you I think.

Also, in your 3/4ths view, try leaving a little bit of space between the edge of the eye and the edge of the face, it helps to make things feel less flat.

Tfw you have dozens of good ideas storys worlds and characters but are a lazy shit

What kind of scanner you got, buddy? I used to use some 8 year old HP printer-scanner and pretty much gave up posting any scanned drawings online because of how much quality was lost

Not the person you're asking unfortunately, but I use a nearly decade-old HP device myself and the results I get with it are fine. Just how bad did your scans look?

Finished this page!

Recently my buffer on West Tree ran out so now I need to update it as I finish each page.

That also means that I probably should put more time into it.

10 out of fucking 10. Awesome work man, awesome work...

The scanner that came with my Epson 410 printer. I don't recommend the printer, though

why does everyone look like they're from The Timbertoes

really nice coloring btw

Just about.

Thanks man. I really like the design on that wolf.
>I like nibs, but they don't like me (or my paper, or something)
What type of paper are you using? If it's printer paper, your nibs will tear right through that if you're not careful.
There'a an artist that goes by the name boxxwrench and posts on a regular bases that "inks" his comic with pencils. Iirc, he uses a light table with the roughs underneath and the clean art on a seperate paper. You can always try that approach if inking feels wonky to you.

I love the colors on this. Excellent

I guess I might be worrying pointlessly. No point delaying the page over it, anyway.

Because much like the Timbertoes family, humans in the Carrion Girls universe are made from wood.
(Nah but srsly I'd never heard of the Timbertoes before and that's a pretty funny coincidence.)
When I started out on the comic, I wasn't at all confident in making my faces look recognizable and consistent from page to page, especially if I wanted them to emote at the same time, so I figured I should make them cartoonish and simple (and the cartoonish features of the human characters might make the weirder supernatural stuff fit in better, too).
Personally I feel like the tetrahedral noses make it feel more like Tove Jansson though.

Thanks!

it pisses me off sometimes how nature almost never has interlocking teeth
dawww. yeah the dialogue's a little odd but I'm not sure what to do
>cauldronmouth
yeah I considered making it the opening of the cauldron but that wouldnt look very good. It's okay, it won't look like a hole in the final picture, I just put blacks in to separate the holes from the gem eyes. pay attention to those gem eyes

Just got my first drawing tablet in an attempt to start a comic I've had the idea for for a long time. What program does everyone use with theirs? I've been using paint.net, but I'm sure there are programs more suited for tablets specifically.

It's a long ass story I once documented, the mix of paper, nibs, ink, etc, to see what's wrong--I gave up when my nibs were catching in the paper on the same paper that it once was working fine on, consistently. It was vellum bristol stock--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 8 1/2 x 11 is the paper size I'm resigned to work at just because it's convenient--it's my printer bed, I store my drawings in binders with sheet protectors, I just gotta work at that size for now. I think the lightbox method is neat, but I feel like I'm the type to just get it all out on paper on the get go after a few bullet points acting as my conceptual planning.

I was just introduced to Bernie Wrightson's work, mixing lead and markers appeals to me.

Paint Tool SAI is all you'll ever need really.

get clipstudio aka mangastudio. it's very cheap, very light on your computer's resources, and has fantastic drawing tools. only its coloring is a little lacking compared to photoshop, but you aren't MADE of money

Thanks, I'll fuck around a bit with those and see what suits my needs the best. Honestly, I'm very inexperienced, so something serious will probably have a bit more than I need just yet.

Clip Studio Paint/Manga Studio/Comic Studio has a lot of dedicated features for making comics

Paint Tool SAI is another popular program

Photoshop is the industry standard for digital painting, but is expensive

Free alternatives to Photoshop include Krita and GIMP (personally I prefer Krita)

Well if you wish to continue working with ink, while still working on 8.5 x11 paper, might i suggest this: jetpens.com/Deleter-Comic-Paper-A4-Plain-135-kg-40-Sheets/pd/10498

I bought a pack of these on a whim while in japan, and this paper feels like it was meant for ink nibs. Unlike toothy vellum, this paper is smooth so your pen glides along without getting caught in it. It's the perfect thickness for ink, but lighter amd thinner than bristol. It's pretty damn cheap too.

Smooth is better than vellum surfaces for ink, and you'll likely find your nibs picking up less paper if you dilute your ink a bit. If your nibs are physically catching on the paper and scattering ink, that's a matter of technique - drawing the nib upwards is almost always a bad idea, and the only way to stop that entirely is to practice your form.

In general if you want to avoid that frustration completely, I'd suggest trying out a brush. Pentel brush pens are cheap and quite easy to work with, and require far less maintenance. You'll still need to keep your microns (or whatever) around to manage fine details or fixed-width lines, but they're dramatically more versatile than a quill at the cost of a marginally higher learning curve.

Oh I'm so glad you show me this, mainly for the size. I currently have 2 packs of their..."A" size I believe it is, which is just slightly bigger than what I want to work with, but I agree with it's ability to take ink from nibs, it's great! The printed guidelines freak me out a bit because I am 100% garbage with editing tools. But other than some bleedless (and expensive...) bristol, this brand has been great. If I think about inking again I'll get this size instead.
I do love brush inking and I credit it as the thing that got me over 'chicken scratch' since it's so based around unbroken lines. I forgot how much I loved it. I got some good brushes left over from when I inked a 20 page comic, but my skill level was worse so I guess I thought I was bad at them. It's something to consider again...that in conjunction with some hatching with microns, or nibs, is something to consider again.

They're certainly one way to cure the chicken scratch problem. I still do it when sketching, but it hasn't shown up in my pencils or inks in quite a while. If you've been working with nibs much I can't imagine you'd have a lot of trouble with a brush though, just keep in mind that the brush you're using can have a big impact on how your lines feel. There's a pretty legitimate chance that it could be the tool's fault if you feel you're exceptionally bad at it.

Hey what do you guys think of /ic/

This.

Before i made the switch to microns and brush pens, my lines were shaky and scratchy due to using nibs and a sable brush. Personally I found the more "convenient" tools gave me better control. So it may well be your tools you use. You gotta find what you're more comfortable with. I've seen artists on youtbe make awesome pieces of art with a bamboo stick and inkwell. Even a famous artist draw a figure with a milky way bar. Whatever works for you.

Ignore them when they tell you you suck.
Listen when they tell you how to do better.

/las/ is nice.

Good place for resources. I love their book threads, sketchbook threads, and their comic threads arent nad either.

Definetely helps you get out of your comfort zone, and grow a spine as am artist.

Hey is this a good idea for a premise or is it shit?

3 19 year olds, all get some form of psychokinesis, with one being neutral,one over time wanting to do good with his new abilities and one who wants to lash out at the world with their new abilities.

>neutrals

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronicle_(film)

Can't sleep so I guess I'll post a WIP.
This is a transition page that is added later to link between different scenes. Chronologically some of the later pages are actually the earliest pages, I work backward a lot of times and also start inserting stuff in the middle as well. This page came before the ones I posted last time.

In today's comic, the flashback story comes to a conclusion.

zyxcity.tumblr.com/

so leapy. i love leapy action

WIP of the next page!

Lucky seven.
Looking fucking awesome

I was wondering what his deal was. square-ass bastard.

Here's my roughs for my next comic. sneak peak I guess :/

how y'all tonight?

not bad!

Looks really cute! I'd like to see this inked.

Doin my best to survive the work day so I can keep working on my page. Doodled a mouse.

very tom/jerry style-esque.

Thanks for the kind words. It's been weird doing this weekly comic as some days I feel more focused to do it and I think it shows, where as other times I fuck it up bad. I release it regards less though haha

Working on an ongoing webcomic series called No Play. Dont wanna spoil the concept because I dont want people taking my ideas.

Stupid, I know...

First page here. Been busy with work and girlfriend being pregnant to update as often as I try to.

Page 2 preview.

>girlfriend being pregnant
>starting a heavy story oriented comic
RIP

You keep using " instead of ' unless your font is weird.

no one else?

>REEEEEEEEEE

Yeah I tried importing the font closest to the ones that they use in comics but for some reason it doesn't have ' and just has " and it frustrates me.

You guys know of good site to get real comic book font?

Eh I don't think it'll be as bad. Not like we go out to places all the time. We always enjoy just hanging out at home more than anything. W're both chill people.

Blambot has a ton of free (and pay) fonts for use in comics, created by a professional letterer.

Blam-bot for sure. Trash cinema has kinda become my trademark font to use for shit...

>Blambot
Thank you so much! I couldn't stand the other sites and what they offered for comic font.

>W're both chill people.
Heard that countless times. Remember this conversation.

Of course. But I mean she has her fun crazy side, but we're inseparable. The exact same values and aspirations. She was ok with me pursuing storyboarding, but I got myself a really good stable job so I'm just freelancing on the side and trying to do this comic too.

Will have several pages done so I can be ahead and publish on a set schedule for a while.

Action page preview.

huh....pretty good, very dynaminc

pencils of the roughs I posted earlier. I think this is my favourite...though it's a little mean to Baph-Chan...

>that's fucking wrong fgt!

took me a moment... when the comic's done if you use it as a reaction pic I won't complain

New Kevin page

Don't do this. Books don't do it, comics don't do it.

It looks sloppy. Overall pretty good though how ever it looks kinda rushed. focus on your ink work.

Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh. just tired.

shit i'd think a blobb would see him as a mate

a puyo!
Not to quibble, but if Kevin is a real weeaboo, wouldn't he know his bonsai from his banzai? is that his mistake or yours?

>Books don't do it, comics don't do it.
That's a new one for me. I spent some useless semesters studying typography / typesetting and at least over here in Germany we use the shit out of syllabication in books. I can change it, though.
As for the colors, I still have a long way to go. It looks sloppy because I'm still very bad at it, but I actually spent a lot of time on this page. I'll try to fix a few things before I release the page on friday and hope it gets better.

No problem, I post it here so you people can point that shit out.

That's my weird racism coming through. At first I thought "He's a total weeb, he should know that stuff", but then I thought, "He's American, he'd probably screw up the pronunciation". Like "yaoi" becomes "yawee" for some reason.

I've heard that from other foreign webcomickers. apparently only we stopped doing it.

Oh shit you're really nice. Sorry I'm just cranky and didn't articulate better. Don't fix this one. Just keep going and you should see improvement. Never go back and add to a finished piece.

That actually made me laugh. Pretty great idea.

>Never go back and add to a finished piece.
typos and coloring errors are okay though

On a funny side-note, at first I wanted him to say "ICHI BANZAI", as a reference to South Park, but then I thought that might be a little bit too weird.

i just got an idea for a webcomic could someone help me flesh it out?