What's your honest opinion on multi-vectoral assault modes?

Why are Starfleet ships all tinted dark in STO? Doesn't look good.

>That little nacelle that pops out of the bridge

I think it's just behind the bridge.

savage

very unrealistic, we would never use that in starfleet

actually very dumb. the episode makes a deal about this multi-vectoral assault mode stuff, but star trek version of space fighting is already not realistic, and Star Trek was never really about that stuff. The exchange of fire between spacecraft in Star Trek is for plot, not hard sci-fi war technology.

Message in a Bottle is an example of many of the particular frustrations that VOY brought to the series.

I think this ships episode was an attempt at promoting spinoff but it went over so poorly they never told anyone.

If anyone watched the episode they would see that the ship was a test bed for new technology. That's it.

They brought it up again in ENT, apparently MVA tech becomes dominant in the 26th century, but I think it was just another bone thrown to nerds while ENT was floundering with poor network ratings.

it doesn't go far enough. If in the future we eventually do create FTL starships the most likely thing to happen is that one giant vessel drops out of warp and then breaks apart into like a dozen ships that fulfill all the roles you currently see in a carrier strike group for example, including screening and scanning for advance warning of danger in all directions.

Ships in battle would probably be some absurd distance away from one another attacking eachother with guided missiles and fighter drones, much like a WW2 carrier battle.

Do threads like this accrue the gay homo twee faggot shit that now habitually infests every star trek thread or is hard SF discussion a barrier to that

fuck off faggot

Seemed rather silly and wasteful to me.

I don't really see the point in having three ships that stack instead of just sending three ships into battle. I thought saucer separation was mostly used as a last resort option to save lives in case the warp systems go berserk. Taking it one step further and also turning it into a battle strategy is silly. It also seems like something that would maybe be effective once as a surprise, and then the Romulans or whoever would just make their own dumb stacking ship. Or, you know, just send three ships.

>ship splits into three parts for combat
>middle part gets destroyed in combat
>can't put ship back together

Just some stupid voltron bullshit to try and keep interest in a dying franchise.

Do you ever wonder what Voyager would have been like if they hadn't chased Moore away?

EXACTLY

It should be like in japanese stuff and have the 3 ships unite to make 1 super ship not have one divide to become 3 weaker ships

>we will never see space battles on tv look as beautiful as they do in Homeworld

Wanted so much more of the Phoenix desu. It and the sovereign were best ships

>still no Homeworld miniseries
honestly it would be perfect
also that scene from Rogue One where the rebel ship pushes the star destroyer was very reminiscent of Homeworld Cataclysm's ramming frigates

Japan already did it better with Gundam and bits/funnels. Just launch dozens of self propelled lasers so you can shoot at shit from any and every angle.

>hard SF discussion
this makes you a faggot

or they just have the enterprise d crash the saucer section into an enemy as a shield.

>one giant vessel drops out of warp and then breaks apart into like a dozen ships that fulfill all the roles you currently see in a carrier strike group
So the separate parts wouldn't need/have warp nacelles.

call me a faggot all you like, i'm just glad this thread isn't infested with actual gay homo faggotry

Yeah. I'm imagining that the warp 'bubble' you generate would have to contain the whole big thing and that generating this warp bubble is like something you need a giant energy source of some kind for so like you can't make a warp-capable small ship, only a huge giant carrier that incorporates it's own cruisers and destroyers and screening 'submarines' in one big lego set and then splits apart when it drops out of warp.

This desu, it should work like today's aircraft carriers - have one mothership that has the main propulsion, fuel reserves, etc, and the rest have their own (smaller) propulsion

>Requiring triplicated primary systems
>Starfleet already use tertiary backups for most primary systems anyway

This shit would take up so much damn room.

Each ship would need its own warp core, fusion reactors, deuterium and antimatter storage, navigational deflector, shield grid, life support, impulse engines and navigational thrusters.