Which one do you guys prefer? Hong Kong cinema or South Korean cinema?

Which one do you guys prefer? Hong Kong cinema or South Korean cinema?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AP7utU8Efow
youtu.be/vWaN8b-FwDI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

HK. SK is pretentious weeb shit.

fuck off with this chink shit

Come to think of it HK movies have given me more entertainment

Agreed

Pre or post-handover HK?

>not watching kimkino

HK cinema
>people flying around all over the place because reasons
>physics disregarded
>le epic battles every 2 minutes, to the point of nausea

SK cinema
>Frank Miller tier edgelordiness
>gore gore gore gore
>dude lmao we're so edgy and our movies are tonally inconsistent

Pre

HK no question then, but nb. I am a pleb

We used to stream DPK tv around here sometimes, I watched a movie once about a guy in a factory

Shut up, white devil.

Nailed it.
But I would add to this:

SK cinema
>4 different endings in sequence because the director couldn't decide
>drawn out sex scenes with gratuitous sound effects

HK cinema
>muh hardened police officer
>gangsters everywhere

This guy can carry Hong Kong all by himself

youtube.com/watch?v=AP7utU8Efow

HK obviously.

Why did HK cinema get so shit post-handover?

There are many reasons why but I will list 3.

1. China is currently aiming to elevate their film industry with primary focus in Shanghai and Beijing. Even though most Hong Kong productions were commercially made without government support pre-handover, The British still help draw attention to Hong Kong's cultural art scene. Not so anymore under China's jurisdiction. Because of that, many HK actors and filmmakers begin to do their work in the mainland.

2. Lack of diversity in genres. This has always been a problem for HK films. Most of their exported films have been action films, crime dramas or wacky comedies. Despite the massive craze in the 70's, 80's and even parts of the 90's, they were not able to cater to the other crazes that were impacting East Asian cinema, i.e. the late 90's, early 2000's horror craze, which may have benefited HK. Even tho Wong Kar Wai and arthouse directors started making films in HK, these didn't please any of the trends that were surrounding East Asian cinema. I think SK cinema is better in this regard.

3. More East Asian countries began making films. Back then, Hong Kong and Japan were the only two countries in East Asia who were making movies. South Korea was a dictatorship, Taiwan was under martial law, Singapore was at HK's level of development yet and Thailand was under a huge military coup. However, that was the past. Now, SK cinema has been dooming, Taiwanese and Singaporean films have been garnering attention especially in festival circuits and the Thais were pretty big in the horror and martial art crazes. Not to mention that Indonesia has also make some widely recognized films from time to time and China is trying to enter the film market (doing it poorly tho.) And Japan still seems to do well, tho a lot of what I see nowadays are anime related.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, user.

That explanation was bullshit and completely wrong and inconsiderate of context. Why are you happily lapping it up, idiot?

how so?

No problem :)

Socratic method, bro. Think about it for yourself. I have no spoons and I'm not going to fucking feed you

>All that is dumb and you're a poopy head
>Just think about it bro
Wow. I really wish you would slip on a banana peel and get cancer.

Still not going to spoonfeed you. Reason it out for yourself if you want the answer. Otherwise, stay angry and impotent.

"Knowledge is its own reward" - Cicero

I wasn't the guy you originally responded to, my pompous friend.
Stay pseud.

*too

'no'

...ledge is its own reward

I warch only Hollywood movie s

North Korea

So step off one and get yours. ;^)

Hong Kong pre-1997.

I guess South Korean now. As soon as the Brits left Hong Kong in 1997 the quality dropped because those directors left and got replaced with propaganda from China. Which is why Chan gets basically a blank cheque to do whatever he wants as long as it puts China in a positive light.

On average I'd say SK has better movies but that's mainly because HK releases so much dog shit it drags down their average. Personally I probably enjoy HK movies more although they haven't released anything really good in a while. SK movies seem to be getting better and better. It's hard to choose.

youtu.be/vWaN8b-FwDI

This is where the real Kino is.

Hong Kong invented a Stephen Chow

SK because they sound less funny when they talk.

>ITT:Generalisations

Hong Kong cinema hasn't been the same since Britain left.

>Which of these general movie making environments do you prefer the products off?
>DON'T GENERALIZE THOUGH
Are you fucking dense?
How would you compare the two without generalizations? That's the whole fucking point.

Why don't white women watch Asian movies?

Is that why they're not attracted to Asians? Because they're not exposed to them enough?

Trips of truth. The only thing HK produces now are shitty dramas on TVB.