Humans need not apply

youtu.be/7Pq-S557XQU

This video is fairly old (3 years), but what do you guys think about the subject at hand?

Is automation going to lead us to a tremendous employment collapse?

Are there jobs out there that won't be replaced by robots?

Robots? B...but I thought we needed a bunch of menial labour drones in human form for an economy to work!

We should strive for efficiency in production.
Reduced production costs will lead to lower prices in goods and services for the consumer.

As long as the government can keep it's hands off it I think it could deliver humanity into something like a post-scarcity society, assuming that processing speed of computers keep steadily increasing until it surpasses our brain in almost every way.

I doubt "real" AI will exist, but it only has to be good enough to be better than us.

>Reduced production costs will lead to lower prices in goods and services for the consumer.
But without jobs, how are consumers ever going to keep purchasing power?

>post-scarcity society
I can't see that ever happening in this world.

>But without jobs, how are consumers ever going to keep purchasing power?
90% of people live on some form of welfare. This includes government "jobs", army, subsidized farming, etc.

i'm a bartender. i make money. people drink when good things happen to them, and i'm sociable. people drink when bad things happen to them, and i can be an ear that listens.

i make the most money during the holidays, where i'm chatting it up with some sad son of a bitch with no family on the eves and days of every holiday. they tip like i'm their fucking kin and i love em for it. also it's generally empty at those times and i'm redpilled as fuck so we shit on women and things and laugh our asses off.

Once workers no longer provide value to the employers, they will simply be removed. If they aren't needed for production anymore, and instead are just a net drain, it might make financial sense to commit genocide on your own population.

>employment collapse
>there too few jobs for everyone
how about there are too many people?
how about nuking africa and stop reproducing already?

Only for dangerous jobs or menial slave labor.
Humans need work.

Prices will fall, accommodating for lower income.
Until hopefully the production price is 0, and the consumer will have no need to pay.
Unlimited energy through something like fusion, robots repairing and developing themselves...

I guess

What if we created robotic black people?

There is no difference if all the goods in your country produced by robot or by some Chinese. Modern manufacture can be viewed as black box and you all guys already live in some automated society for decades.

>90% of people live on some form of welfare
That figure doesn't sound right

I see more and more bar franchises opening up as private pubs are closing down.
There's already a beer pub franchise where you can pour your own pint and have to talk to the bar tender only when recharging your payment badge and ask him for a glass. Bar tending could easily be replaced by automatons.

I doubt a whole mass of jobless people will quietly let themselves get written off like that.

It's not the people in Africa that are taking the jobs here, it's robots.

>Humans need work
And corporations need to make more profits by cutting spendings, ie: labour costs.

>lower income
The problem is people will have no income.

Are you assuming income will drop from what it is today, to nothing in an instant?
I'm assuming it will be gradual. Some will feel discomfort for a while, as with any disrupting tech.

>That figure doesn't sound right
Why not? How many people in France run their own business and how many employed by government? How many jobs exists because of government regulations? How many "farmers" who receive subsidies are in France?

I have a skill based job and am not worried. Robots just cannot into what I do.

Low skilled Chinese manual labor jobs will be replaced by high paying western engineering jobs.

I feel kinda sorry for the Chinese, but it will be awesome for Europe.

If a robot can do your job, then you have no job. If you have no job, you don't get money. It's that simple.

Being employed by the government isn't welfare.

I'm curious, what do you do?

Up until the point our jobs are taken over by robots.

>Being employed by the government isn't welfare.
Yes it is.
>If a Chinese can do your job, then you have no job. If you have no job, you don't get money.
Still, despite almost all goods are produced in China people in EU have a job.

>There is no difference if all the goods in your country produced by robot or by some Chinese.

There's quite a big difference, at a global level I mean, since it even further concentrates all the wealth into the hands of the elite few.

It's not a matter of if, but rather when. Could be that you might still get to retire in time, but countless other fields and people won't be as lucky. And the cascade effect from such an unprecedented level of mass unemployment would affect you, too.

automation is good, retard.

>employment

is called slavery, you either escape from it or not, and im not talking about being a neet on welfare. there are ways you can break from the system without going to live in the streets as a bum or in some shack in the forest

>Up until the point our jobs are taken over by robots.

Industrial revolution started over two centuries ago.
Machines haven't even automated all the repetitive labor yet.

If you use your brain in a non-trivial way at all, you're not going to get replaced.

It's all a big bubble bound to burst

That's my point, some will lose a job like truckers. But someone working as a caretaker for mentally disabled people might still have many years left as a valuable asset.

Until computers can read faces, sounds, gestures of people who can't speak and look disfigured and need help with absolutely everything, that's one market truckers could go to when autos come to take their place.
Humans primary trait is adaptability, imo.

And so it goes until it has been a gradual repositioning of our economic back bone.

>>If a Chinese can do your job, then you have no job. If you have no job, you don't get money.
I'd like to see a china-man in beijing drive a train full of frenchmen between two french cities.

A robot could do that though.

People 100 years ago said the same thing and we still have jobs.

Why don't we just wait until it happens before we discuss this issue?

Robots will be Mexicans and other low wage workers worst nightmare. Mexicans always go on about how they do the jobs no one else does.
I cannot wait to see them lose their shit when automation starts gaining traction.

This sounds really beutifull, reading what you said made me forget the fact that you were working.
Really upliftingand im sad that the robots could pass as a threat. Atleast you will be a high standard neet.

Even truckers won't get replaced by self driving trucks.

They are still needed to supervise loading/offloading, fixing breakdowns, paperwork, etc.

At the very most you will have one trucker manage multiple vehicles.

>I'd like to see a china-man in beijing drive a train full of frenchmen between two french cities.
Well. technically it is not that difficult. Telephone and online support jobs already sent to India, for example. No real problem to make your train remotely driven by some Pajeet from Mumbai.

I think they'd use robots before they used remote controlled trains.

I suspect we're still very far away from automation replacing any kind of job that requires critical thinking or creativity, like 100 years away minimum. AI research has long been a field of underestimating the complexity of what it takes to replicate the functions of the human brain going back to the 1960s.

Low skill service jobs and some skilled labor will start disappearing though. Some of it will be offset by increased in demand for maintenance for the automation technology and probably some niche services for people that just want a more "authentic experience" but there will definitely be a large labor surplus in the lower skill brackets. I wouldn't be surprised to see basic income in the west at some point in my lifetime.

>creativity
The video adresses that; those are doomed too, and not in a hundred years.

Who makes and takes care of every single robot? Endgame- most things would be automated but there are things that require a non measurement-based brain to do.
Plus paying 10 Paco's is easier than paying 1 maintenance Joe.

there are already algorithms creating pleasant music and pictures
critical thinking is not strong side of humanity

But wouldn't computers eventually prove to be way better at that too?

They won't get tired, won't get distracted, won't need a break to shit etc.

>As long as the government can keep it's hands off it I think it could deliver humanity into something like a post-scarcity society
>90% of people live on some form of welfare. This includes government "jobs", army, subsidized farming, etc.
Libertarians actually believe this

The video presents a half truth. Writing "automation" is essentially a flexible writing template that still requires a human to insert information. There were actually a few stories on how true writing automation was being used during the 2016 Olympics to generate brief articles on medal count and event results. A computer that can write for The New Yorker is nowhere in sight.

As far as music goes it's again very narrow in scope in what a computer can actually come up with. It can generate something that sounds good but you're not going to find a computer writing hip hop concept albums on an interstellar war.

Since we live in some shithole and can't rely on government welfare i can tell you what jobs are still payed here.
Logistics: sailors, truckers, small shops. Will be fucked by robots and replaced probably.
Engeneereng: programmers, developers, electronics, automation. Will not be replaced soon.
Marketing: advertising, design, content providers, media. Will not be replaced by robots.
Service whores: beauty saloon, tutors, masseurs, vets, actual whores. Never will be replaced by machine.
Medicine: all labours are manual, every automated procedure should have a guy who press the button. Don't think it will be replaced.

It's not only about jobs being replaced completely.
Some jobs will just require less people to do them. Marketing will require less people to do research as better software becomes available to determine what is popular, what people like, etc. Service industries becoming less labor intensive, engineering and medicine becoming software assisted, etc.
Of course manual jobs will face the most automation but other fields will too.