Multiversity: What The Gentry Meant

GM: "The same time, I’m trying to talk about real things. That’s where the symbolic content comes in, where the Gentry represent all these bad influences, but really each one of the Gentry is kind of a villain archetype taken to the limit. Intellectron is the mastermind taken to the limit. Dame Merciless is the femme fatale taken to the demonic limit. Demogorgunn is the zombie horde taken to the limit, and so on through the rest of them. ord Broken is the madhouse, Arkham Asylum taken it to the limit. Each of them represents a fairly understandable villain type once you think about it.

So the symbolism becomes, well what do they represent in the real world? For me, they represent forces of nihilism and anti-human hatred, ignorance and greed and stupidity that I see every day. Those aspects of the story, how do you deal with those? How do you communicate those? What happens when there are too many of them in your head and you’re starting to feel sick with it?"

How close does this hit to home, Sup Forums? What kind of Gentry would represent the shit you're currently tired of in comics? What the hell would 'forced racial diversity' taken to the extreme even look like?

Is there a Gentry to represent Grant always overdoing it with the metacommentary?

I think that's the Empty Hand. The lack of ideas.

How about one thats represents everything needing to connect to some stupid sweeping event that fucks with on-going stories?

How would you represent that, a group of doppelgangers that make it possible for one character to be in three comics at once with completely different memories?

What does Hellmachine and Intelectron suppose to represent then? I thought Intelectron was some sort of Gentry's omnipresent eye, leaving him to watch and control everything that was happening throughout the story. Like an Eye of God archetype.

>Intellectron is the mastermind taken to the limit.
Hellmachine is, I dunno, the inhuman monster?

No, the empty hand was the consumer. This was obvious enough in the comic when Ultra, the consumer avatar, became him but Morrison confirmed it later on too.

>What kind of Gentry would represent the shit you're currently tired of in comics?
I'm not sure what would represent static status quo, constant reversion to the norm, and "false change". A fat white guy in a suit?

Who keeps dying and being reborn at an annoying speed.

The whole of the three most powerful entities among the supers being Black is the representation of the forced Racial Diversity. Thunderer, Super Judge, Barrack Obama.

Huh. I think you're onto something there.
I'm imagining a sort of fat, grotesque seated man, possibly wearing shackles on his hands and legs, with ripples of "change" going over him - patches of different ages and races and costumes and such - but ultimately remains the same, not changing in any meaningful way.
What would it be called, though? Stagnatus? (No, that's shit.)
>Aquawoman
That's not forced diversity, anyway, that's just Morrison's race fetish.

>forced racial diversity

Remember that episode of Spongebob where all of the main cast was fused with Squidward? There you go. The ultimate "melting pot."

>What The Gentry Meant
>forced racial diversity

Not that.

I'm actually writing a story about the manifestation of the status quo. I have him as a huge solid cube of prime matter. He's a living contradiction.

I'm having a hard time narrowing down what I don't like about shitty comic fans.

That's a bit obvious for a Gentry member, though.
"Giant egg with bat wings and an eye" is not what most people would think of for the manifestation of "evil mastermind", after all.

Egghead, dumbass.

Bendis is already that Avatar.

>when Ultra, the consumer avatar, became him
Uh.

The Empty Hand is visually quite clearly supposed to be Ultra Comics, the manifestation of the will of everyone across time and space reading his comics, who has become corrupted.

Since he has a city on his head I'd guess he represents corrupt crime-ridden cities like Gotham and Hub.

I don't know the name but they would represent hubris and arrogance.
His main form would be that of a repairman who "fixes" that which is not broken. It would be paired with another Gentry that has a different view of reality like an evil Delirium from Sandman, but when it interacts with the world it's changes become true because "That's how things should be."
TLDR Bendis characterization destruction and bad retcons.

He's right, you know

What's Hellmachine? Did Grant forget?

>What's Hellmachine

Did you even try to think about it?

>Hellmachine
>Machine
>Depicted as a monster with a crowded city of skyscrapers growing out of his head

It's obviously technology / industrialization taken to the extreme.

Then why is he the only one not a villain archetype?

Robots and machines are a villain/"threat" archetype just as much as geniuses and zombie hordes.

But it does. Are you familiar with a guy called Brainiac? Or The General from the Prisoner? Or Captain Pollution? Or for that matter any of the villains from Captain Planet the cartoon series?

>a repairman who "fixes" that which is not broken.

Watching heroes be 'fixed' like this would be down right body horror. I'd read it.

Or any of the villains from the Smoggies. That show was dope.

Hellmachine could also represent cities that keep churning out heroes and villains by the dozens, much like a factory mass-produces things by the dozens to hundreds.

It's certainly hell for someone trying to live a normal life in a place like Metropolis, Gotham, Central City, Coast City, etc. etc. etc. and we've already seen stories played out about how much heroes can be a threat to their people as much as the villains are.

kek

I always thought Lord Broken was Marvel(the House of Ideas) and Dame Merciless-a scantily clad but scarily thin woman-was the shitty treatment of women in comics(+possibly all minorities).

Can I say the ending of The Mastermen make me cry?

That was just Sup Forums spitballing ideas. Grant Morrison said differently.