Anyone got a good recommended reading list for someone who's new to Superman...

Anyone got a good recommended reading list for someone who's new to Superman? I've got a friend that wants to understand the character more but only knows the basics.

Alll star superman
For all seasons
What ever happened to th man of tomorrow
Whays so funny about truth justice and the american way
Kingdom come i guess
Tell your "friend"

Change For All Seasons with Secret Identity and you've got a pretty good list.

Add Red Sun.
Rebirth Supes has been great as well

The trial of Superman

>recommending All-Star to someone who's new to Supes
Every fucking time.

Rebirth Superman has been great. but as far as just understanding the core of the character I don't know if it should be on the list.

Patronizing tone aside, thanks for the list.

>What ever happened
No. Replace that with For the Man Who Has Everything. Read some Jack Kirby, Joe Casey, Golden Age stuff, Silver Age stuff, it's all good.

Rebirth Superman sucks.

All Star
Red Son
Superman vs Muhammad Ali
For All Seasons
Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow
Kingdom Come
Secret Identity
Morrison Action Comics
Pak Action Comics
Brainiac
New Krypton
Last Son
Johns' Superman
Secret Origins
Birthright

There's a few there.

A lot of Superman/Batman and World's Finest comics show his character. Some of them are crazy too.

Why not? The point of it was to strip Supes down to his essential elements.

This isn't a Sup Forums list but a list of a longtime superman fan, with this stuff I've gotten the most jaded people into Superman, this isn't a best of list but more to something like you have requested

Birthright
Man of Steel
For All Seasons
For the Man Who Has Everything (Superman Annual 11)
Action comics 1-3 (1938), Superman 1
Superman vs Muhammed Ali
Superman Red Son
Morrisons Action Comics run

Superman in Live Action/Other Media

Fleischer Cartoons 1940s
The Last Son of Krypton (1st 3 episodes of animated series)
Superman the Movie
Man of Steel

This list is pretty bare-bone but what I'd consider entry level to someone who wants to understand the character and what he is about, hence why there is so many different versions on here.

Yeah, I gave it to my ex girlfriend who knew nothing of Superman. She had questions like, "Does Lex know that he's Superman." and others, but she loved it. She's VERY critical, and she said it was 10/10. So anyone can read it.

If we're not talking about elseworlds, read only Silver Age/Bronze Age Superman aside from some exceptions. Almost all of the modern Superman is trash or painfully mediocre.
>Captcha is Bates
How fitting.

I'll add Allstar Superman, results can vary from person to person though as an introduction to the character.

Most love it, some hate it.

I'd go so far as to recommend American Alien

The Man of Steel is a pretty good start.

Butthurt Superbro fan detected

No,it's just Tomasi is a bad writer? Superman/Wonder Woman sucked, Superleague sucked, and his Superman sucks. Jurgens is bad too.

Dunno about this one; Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

Oh I thought you were that guy that screams Superbitch the whole time

>Implying only one guy considers Superbitch a Superbitch

I don't think it really matters what incarnation of Superman it is, so long as the book has a good writer. New 52 Superman had three good writers, but plenty of bad ones. More bad than good. Rebirth Superman has bad writers so far, but it's only like 6 months in.

Guess we lured him out

I mean, like, read my post.

Both Red Sun and Rebirth Supes are mediocre.

Apart from the things mentioned
>Supreme
>Superman adventures
>Cooke's Superman: Kryptonite
>Post infinite crisis Johns' run

I also agree with . 90 % of modern day Superman has been shit and filled with stupid crossovers. Silver and Bronze age is surprisingly fun and consistently better.

No it's not, it's a giant tribute to the Silver Age version of the character.

The reason I don't recommend it to new fans is because it requires knowledge of the Silver Age to really appreciate and also it tends to give people the wrong impression of what Superman is in the modern age. Superman has not been like the version in this comic for 40-50 years.

Modern Superman is flawed and human, he gets angry or sad, he doesn't always know the right course of action, he makes mistakes, he sometimes needs help, he sometimes exhibits pride.

That's why no other story in this thread has a Superman like the one in All-Star.

All Star Superman is the best book of the 21st century from this medium, senpai.

Kingdom come obviously
For the man that has everything
Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow
And of course allstar superman good shit

>but as far as just understanding the core of the character

no, its appealing to Reeves fanboys is what it is

ASS is not that great, but at least learn that is a big homage to Reeves Superman and not Silver Age Superman, who was a petty asshole that got jealous very easily.

And All Star Superman is a shit Superman, he was more concerned with hiding his identity then saving guards from Parasite. Going so far as to let Parasite start a riot in the prison and not doing shit about it. It also has a Lois that was willing to just leave Superman for the next Super-bros that came around, after he gave her powers.

Defend this shit.

whatever happened is grea you fucking casual

I don't always like Max Landis, but he has a great understanding of Superman and what makes him great. I'd recommend American Alien, its only 7 issues and great for someone who whats to get into Superman for the first time or understand why he's an important character.

superman: earth one
all star superman

in that order