Why does no one really talk about how good this series was for a cartoon, all we ever hear about is the DCAU...

Why does no one really talk about how good this series was for a cartoon, all we ever hear about is the DCAU, don't get me wrong that is better but this is still very good and deserves recognition I remember watching it as a kid and being freaked by how emotional some of the episodes were. any episode reccomendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oq8kPo3tyGY
youtube.com/watch?v=uMdh4DkslVk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Besides the reused shots every episodes and the needless censorship it was alright. Funny how they never reaired the episode of the Vulture becoming the man-Spider

>Why does no one really talk about how good this series was for a cartoon

Because it doesn't generally hold up as well as the DCAU. Sure, the writing was a bit ahead of its time, but the animation...yikes. Even The New Batman Adventures was better in that department.

I thought the animation was ok.

Because it's aged horribly. It was my favorite show as a kid but looking back on it, it was pretty bad.

I think you mean pretty rad

I keep hearing this so I went back and watched it. You're couldn't be more wrong, it's better than I remembered it. I'm currently on season 2, just finished the episode with Silvermane qt OC daughter. Best part is, it's been forever since I've seen the show, so I legit don't remember what happens.

Then your tastes are...let's say, less than refined.

Because it doesn't hold up.

The animation hasn't aged very well, the cgi was awful, they reused clips for what felt like every other scene, censorship up the ass, and then we had stupid plots that had moments such as:

>I must have plasma!

>I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

>Mary Jane is a clone of Hydro-man

>Mary Jane gets teleported to an alternate dimension

>Hobgoblin before Green Goblin

>Electro is Red Skull's son

It had its moments, but it was pretty bad for the most part.

It holds up pretty well
Some of you are still going through your "angsty white guy in his early 20s" phase and you think everything should be grimdark and serious, so this tv show pisses you off with its wacky outlandish plots

You're talking to a board that loved the fuck out of that recent animated Batman movie based on the '60s TV series. We love campy shit - but it's gotta actually be GOOD.

But it was good, the only bad shit with the show as the reused shots. Even the censorship wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Morbius' leach hands were a hell of a lot more scary than traditional vampires.

>Morbius' leach hands were a hell of a lot more scary than traditional vampires.

That was kinda cool, but lasers everywhere and no actual punching was pretty dumb.

Do you happen to have a list of all the things that were censored in the show? One of the big ones I remember is that Spidey isn't allowed to punch anyone which drove me up the wall. Also no bullets.

Lasers always made sense to me in the context of the Marvel universe. They have all that high tech shit and still use normal guns? I don't buy it. The punches drove me crazy at first too, but then I remembered that Peter was a wrestler, so it kinda makes sense for him to typically use grapples.

X-Men, Spiderman and Batman were the holy trinity of 90's superhero cartoons. They don't make them like that anymore.

He punched the Spot once through a portal. Off the top of my head:

>plasma replacing blood

>No glass shattering

>no saying death or kill or anything like that

>Carnage draining life force or whatever

Don't forget no vampires.
They only reason they allowed Morbius was because he used his hand-suction powers instead of biting anyone.

Spidey also wasn't allowed to disturb pigeons.

I like this show for the Kingpin, he was based as fuck in every scene he is in.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oq8kPo3tyGY

I disagree. Most of the goods one simply die out really quickly. Just take a look at Sup Forums's usual suspects:
Justice League and JLU
Spectacular Spiderman
Wolverine and the X-men (although this one hasn't aged super well)
Tron uprising
Samurai Jack
Green Lantern: The Animated Series
Megas Xlr
Young Justice
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Sym-bionic Titan
Powerpuff Girls

Now of course not all of these are as good as the Trinity, but I wouldn't go as far as brushing all superhero television as inferior to those three. Especially when shows like X-men and Spider-man suffered from censorship, old animation, questionable voice acting and bizarre writing (the whole Green Goblin getting sent to another dimension?)

Season 1 was great
2 was fine
most of 3 was fine
but the last two seasons were awful trash recycling frames constantly and the plots were either stretched out to far or so hamfisted it felt like you were watching Adam West Batman directed by Uwe Boll.

It gets forgotten because it's badly dated where it's animation took such a dive in season 1 onward
The voice work was top shelf where almost the whole cast was actually career actors and stage performers, the music was fantastic and memorable
But the mediocre animation and sub par to terrible plots killed it having any lasting appeal.

To me, it's the downright frenetic pacing and narration that makes the show exhausting to watch now, and I loved it as a kid.

Seriously, it's up there with Speed Racer on how they blow through exposition to make sure 8-year olds can keep up with Peter Parker's soap opera.

With you on this.

No joke, I once watched an episode for 10 minutes before realizing it wasn't a "previously on..." recap.

Seriously! Even for a kids' show it's insulting and weird to listen to.

"I NEED TO FACE MY FEAR AND FACE DR. OCTOPUS WHO IS ALSO MY MENTOR AND ALSO MAKE IT IN TIME FOR MY DATE WITH MARY JANE OH SHIT LASERS."

To me it was perfect with only 2 complaints

1. The animation sometimes
2. The crappy 3d backgrounds

Let's not forget that it also had one of the best Venom stories in a cartoon besides the spectacular spiderman, even Spiderman 3 couldn't get Venom right.

Black Cat was Super hot in this show.

I never cared for the 90's Spider-Man. Didn't bother to watch until unless it happened to be on. I think Spectacular trumps it in pretty much every single way...

And yet there's something about it. How, even now, "adult Peter Parker" sounds like he does in the show when I hear his voice in my head.

/fit/ as fuck

Not an ounce of muscle

I also liked buff Peter Parker in his early 20's, wide shouldered, buff, and older, which is the Peter parker in this show.

I prefer that version of Peter unlike some adaptations that depict him as a skinny high school kid

>Not an ounce of muscle
*not an ounce of fat

>60's spiderman gave no fucks about shooting and punching

youtube.com/watch?v=uMdh4DkslVk

>Not an ounce of fat
FTFY

The opening song is still rad.

>Spider-man, Spider-man
>Radioactive Spider-man
>Spider-man, Spider-man
>Radioactive Spider-man
>*Cue electric guitar*

>Electro is Red Skull's son

Wait, what? How do I not remember that?

Yeah I think it was the one where Red Skull and Captain America came back from some alternate dimension and Electro was made

>Hobgoblin before Green Goblin
Nothing wrong with that. It actually made Osborn snapping more believable and explained why he would have this kind of armor.

You forgot Dormammu creating Carnage and non-lethal Punisher.

>and the needless censorship
Censorship was what made it good. It forced spiderman to rope swing and wreste all his enemies.

The only flaw is that Peter has the problems he has in the early comics: He will go for death treats, and then he will just quite down the next episode until its a new death treat
I WILL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH SHOCKER
sorta like that

>Dormammu creating Carnage
Are you messing with me?

Watch the two parter again. Dormammu and Mordo retrieve the Sybiote and bring it back to Earth. Spider-Man stops them with the help of Iron Man and War Machine.

Not sure if serious.
That looks like something from Deviantart.

I think the reason was the episode referenced the 1990s attack on the world trade center. They probably considered it to be in poor taste after 2001.

They couldn't really show him killing but I'm pretty sure it was implied in his first appearance he was a murderer.

You have the eps where that crazy stuff happens I wanna watch that stuff, also while you can argue the mary jane hydro clone is silly her basically dying was pretty crazy for a kid's show, spidey freaked the fuck out.

>Some of you are still going through your "angsty white guy in his early 20s" phase and you think everything should be grimdark and serious, so this tv show pisses you off with its wacky outlandish plots
Which is why Brave and the Bold was almost unanimously adored, right? Get the fuck out.

Mysterio also died in this show.

This and my growing up reading 80s comics are the main reasons I cannot abide high school shit and couldn't get into Spectacular.