Share your rare...

Share your rare, valuable or favorite individual comic issues! This is a variant edition of Hawkeye Vs Deadpool #1 autographed by Fabian, authenticity certificate in next post. What do you got guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=/search_adv.asp?all=y&TITLE=amazing+fantasy&TITLEOPT=ALL&ISSUE=&Condition=&ConditionTo=&CensusRank=&SearchPageQuality=&Pedigree=&PRICEF=&PRICET=&DESCRIPTION=&DESCRIPTIONOPT=ALL&SearchRemarks=&SearchCGC=&EXCLUDE=&CATEGORIES=-1&WCATEGORIES=-1&SORT=CATEG&_where_forsale=y&_where_auctions=y&x=0&y=0&where_forsale=y&id=1108069
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Got it for only 30$, I think it's worth a lot more than that.

>I think it's worth a lot more than that.
nah

I'm new to comics, oh well. I just thought that because he was one of the original creators. Still glad I bought it even if I overpaid.

Oh, shit. I didn't even notice the lower number when I posted it.

So what actually makes a comic become valuable or not as far the issue title or autographs?

Low print runs, artificial inflation like those 1:100,000 incentive variants. signatures that were not done as part of a big promo deal (I bought a Deadpool 250 with Nicieza's signature form Midtown Comics for like $20)

The only comics worth any money are the first appearance of characters that are in the movies.

This is my latest valuable pick up. Was quite happy to add it to my collection. Any other Silver Age key collectors here?

That's kind of depressing.

First appearances and a few popular story arc (DoFP, addict Speedy) early work form highly regarded artists like Neal Adams, 1:50+ variants can attain some value but really depends on the popularity of the artists (like Campbell variants) or if they are a key.
Autographs may or may not be seen as a boon or detriment to value depending on the collector.

I got this thing a while ago and enjoy keeping it in a box away from light and heat

additionally, ask a silver age and high grade bronze collector anything I guess? Maybe some of you want help getting into collecting more valuable issues?

My biggest regret is not buying the 3D Deadpool #34 variant for 50$ when I had the chance. Saw it at a convention earlier this year for 300 bucks.

You should get it CGC or CBCS graded, not like you need to read variant covers.

>3D Deadpool #34
Its definitely not worth 300. Look at completed ebay auctions, even 9.8 graded copies only sell for 100.

If he sends it in to those chucklefucks, it's likely to get bent and torn before they grade it at 70% and slab it.

What's the most dangerous thing to comic issues' quality over 10 or 20 years? Almost all of my comics I read once then tape shut with a board backing in the plastic and put them standing upright in one of those comics with a lid on it with other comics and one big book at the end of the row to keep them from falling over. House is usually kept around 70F or cooler.

Only if he's really bad at shipping books safely. Also they dont grade on percentages, its 1.0 - 9.8 scale. (10.0 is possible but very,very rare) I,ve sent in plenty of modern variants at gotten 9.8's

One of those comic boxes* *** sorry typo

I got the "Death of Captain America" issue with the bloody glove, but I don't think it's really worth all that much.

Overly dry and hot environments can tan books, as well as damp and moist. Keeping books in a basement is awful unless its temp controlled. A stable 70 is good. I'm a bit confused as to your container, but if you mean a long or short box thats fine. An issue with newsprint based books is acidity, most backing boards are not as acid free as they claim and should be changed every four years or so. Direct sunlight is also a killer, but books can be safely displayed in rooms lit by led bulbs.

Got a Spider-Man's Tangled Web #1 by Garth Ennis and John McCrea signed, sealed and certificated locked away somewhere.

Always thought it was really cool one to have signed.

I stole a bunch of comics without looking at a convention 25 years ago and there was Secret Wars #8 and Spider Man #33 in the stack.

Amazing Spider-Man #33.

It's a long box in my living room. The backers I use are just the white board rectangles from the store they give at purchase. What do you use for a bookend to hold the comics up in a box that's only partially full? I'm worried the book I'm using now might start bowing in the first few issues because it's smaller than them...

I stole Deadpool Minibus from 2nd and Charles a few months ago, that was a nice snag lol, still in the shrink-wrap.

>Only if he's really bad at shipping books safely
I mean there's plenty of stories of people going through all the hoops of safely shipping a comic that's 9.8 at least, then when they get it back in the slab it's damaged by the only people that could have handled it between then, the morons at CGC.

I dont have a formal spacer, really anything that fills the gap, I like to use bubble wrap shipping material wadded up. Basic boards are fine for moderns, they are probably BCW which is the base tier of quality. If you ever want to protect more valuable books, look into egerber products, they are top end. Also mylar holders are useful as well, but probably overkill for cheap books.

CGC did have a stint in the past few months where they changed holder design, and books where getting rippled but it is very very very rare for a book handled by them to be bent or creased through negligence. CGC has corrected their holder issue. That being said I have become more of a fan of CBCS and think they will quickly be regarded as highly as CGC is by collectors. Fuck PGX and keep a mile away from their books though.

May karma steal from you in return asshole.

I guess I'm hoping far in the future, if comics don't go the way of the dinosaur by then, they'll accrue some value. Until then I'm just trying to fill in the missing gaps in the series I started reading partially through. Once those are caught up it'll be a lot cheaper just buying 2 or 3 new issues a week to stay current.

Also have you checked the Civil War II main storyline issues? The material feels so much nicer and the covers are thicker than normal.

>CBCS and think they will quickly be regarded as highly as CGC is by collectors
Not yet though, so people who casually know that CGC exists will think CBCS is some knock off grader.

This is a misleading statement
While the movies inflated the value of some characters (especially deadpool) these comics were already valuable. The movies are only the most popular characters by and large

I've been of the opinion modern covers are actually flimsier then back issues, about as thin as a normal page, thus actually making it somewhat hard to pick out 9.8's from a stack. The marvel event books have been a nicer stock. I really liked the stock that was used for Secret Wars 1, but I think that was the only issue that got that treatment.

That is cool
How was that run?

From what I've seen at conventions a lot of dealers are putting big books in CBCS cases, the company is owned by the man who started CGC but disliked how they now operate. CGC also lost a lot of face this summer with their new case issues. Ebay sales seem fairly clsoe between the two companies.

what would spider-man say

Amazing Spider-Man #238, Gates of Gotham variant #4 signed by Scott Snyder, Kyle Higgins, and Dustin Nguyen, Batman #567 signed by Scott Peterson and Damion Scott, and Batman #180 I own Harley and Deadpool's first appearances too, but really I don't treasure either like I do those four issues

Speaking of back issues, my LCS owner said he could order back-issues of current arcs back to so many months ago from Marvel direct, but beyond that he had order them from private sellers or businesses. Do you how far back Marvel usually carries back-issues before stopping?

They will carry them until stock runs out at diamond. It really depends on that.

I'm a professional cartoonist now lol

Those two books are worth a hell of a lot more then those other four, but I understand sentimentality trumping value. Does your 238 still have the tattooz?

Diamond?

So, was anyone else really disappointed with the debuts of Deadpool: Back In Black and Too Soon! ?

THE comic book distributor. If it's a comic or in a comic store it went through Diamond distributions.

any advice on superman?

They are the distributor that every shop in America orders from.

Tell us some cool stories about your big hauls.

Bastard

Like where to start collecting him? Some specific questions would be useful.

places, sites, communities, prices, strategy, value, speculation, personal experience... anything really. thanks.

It was a 2nd bookstore, Marvel wouldn't have made shit off it whether I paid for it or not.

2nd-hand bookstore, I mean.

I've never purchased a big collection. While I have some very nice issues, I hunt for a good deal on grades and am always haggling with dealers. I used to work for one of the big back issue dealers, and let me tell you its pretty great to be sitting next to all the Silver keys and even big Golden one like Flash Comics 1.

Some of the better luck finds I've had is a lower grade Giant Size X-Men 1 for 50 (worth closer to 300 in the condition it is) some modern keys that are moving up in high grade from 2-5 dollar boxes (first Ostrandar suicide squad, first Misty Knight) My pride and joy book is the one golden age book I have, Detective Comics 73, first cover appearance of Scarecrow (fav Batman villain) I was only able to afford this because its missing its centerfold.

What is a key?

I haven't gotten too much into Superman collecting myself. Neal Adams books are always good to go for. Generally when I start to collect a character I pick a villain I am fond of for the character and try to get some earlier appearances, and then start to get issues in between and such. When buying popular or valuable books, shop around, compare prices to ebay, dont be afraid to haggle.

Not only does it have the tattoos but I got the comic CGCed and it came back a 9.6. And yeah they are, but sentimentality wins out over those two.

A first appearance or death of a character, first work of an artist or writer, or in some cases a very well known story.

Ah, very nice, that is very respectable. I've always been a fan of Hobgob myself, but havn't gotten around to getting that issue yet.

>its a speculator-fag episode

So my issue of Civil War 2 where Hawkeye kills the Hulk would be a key

technically, but it also is somewhat dependent on that market valuing it as such and placing an increased value on it because of it. An instance of this is Asm 121/122 death of Gwen Stacy.

Caring about the value of a comic means I'm being smart about what I pay and invest in comics. I have no intention of flipping my books. Its nice that the money I put into these books can easily be taken back out though, should circumstance require it unlike buying say video games where value drops like a rock the second you own it.

Here's some of my choice books, i have a ton of comics in the closet and atleast 12 long boxes in my storage unit...used to have more but some where stolen or sold...dont collect anymore, most of todays stuff is pure shit........but if i see something i like ill definitely grab it...

I'm jealous. I have maybe half a long box of individual issues, and maybe another quarter's length of trade paperbacks and hardbacks.

I just started collecting about two months ago and I'm excited to fill my first long box of individual issues, lol.

Got my 3 trades of Fraction's Hawkeye signed, dedicated and sketched by Aja. They're probably my most valuable things in my shelf. I rarely get my stuff signed, but... I really, really, really wanted them signed by David Aja. He's insanely good at visual storytelling. Would love to see them signed by the colorist too, but I doubt that's going to happen ever.

Even more of a bastard, why would you steal from a bookstore unless you're a learned nigger?

Extremely impressive if this is inf fact your collection and not a random image off google. When did you get them graded

Hey guys, if you sort your comics alphabetically, do you go by the first letter of the adjective or the noun, like would you put an issue of Amazing Spiderman under "A" or "S"?

Or do you guys use an alternate scheme from alphabetically?

that book was the start of why marvel is so awful right now. you should be ashamed. and lol trades worth anything

you can also look out for places that bring the graders locally. some comic shops do it, as well as conventions.

Dont be...ive been reading comics since 13, seriosly collecting since 15, stopped in the 90's when i got married...reaf allot of original stuff when it firts came out, used to go to coventions before EBAY fucked everything up and artisits starting charging for their signatures...48 now, am not looking to go back and get stuff that was lost or stolen, too much time and too little money no, money better spent on other things...enjoy your collection and buy what you like, not what you think you should like just because you wanna make money later...you may, or you may not...everything is overpriced today anyway.......

I'm not seriously in it to make money, but if I keep every issue I buy in nice condition after reading them once and one ends being up rare years down the road it's just nice for bragging rights, hah.

I'm not ashamed of the stuff I like, specially, when I like it because it's good.

Your opinion is yours, not mine.

I sort by character/property, then chronological release So for X-men it would be Uncanny, then Jim Lee X-men, then Amazing X-men for example. Character property group is sorted my alphabet.

Right, that's the problem I was pointing out. your wrong opinion.

I sort them directly alphabetically as my CLZ program dictates. so I know right where to find them.

Ha.

nope all mine,thats my sloppy bed, look at the exe date, pic taken an less than an hour ago.....I had all these originals when i started collecting, the older ones of course i brought them later.......i bought them all slabbed from Comiclink or conventions, bout ten years now...wish i had my original originals but these will do.......i wish i had brought that Captain america#1 5.0 for 4 grand when i had the chance, let it go now its worth $70,000. upwards...still have a scan of it somewhere

Oh, well then that is pretty believable you have those books. When did you get the AF 15, did you buy it knowing it was restored? Sorta sounds like you've become disenfranchised with collecting, what burned out your passion?

Why the hell is Marvel killing or banishing a lot of their best-selling characters?

Wolverine got slagged in adamantium and replaced with a female clone, The Hulk was killed just to further the plot in Civil War II (compare to Civil War where they just killed Goliath or whoever), Thor has disappeared off to Asgard after having Mjolnir bullshitted away from him to another girl, Captain America had his shield given to a black guy and didn't even get it back after having his aging reversed, and now Miles Morales appeared from a fucking alternate universe as Spiderman #2.

What gives?

Somebody in the PR department decided they need more minority characters and making new ones is hard. So clearly if we just kill off and replace our really popular characters with minorities they will just continue being really popular! Instant popular minority character!

Except instead it causes a bunch of drama and sales tank because you killed the CHARACTER that people liked so you could transfer the NAME.

It's the same reason people always say "why can't superman be black", because they want a popular black superhero and they think they can just take one and change it without losing any of the audience. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of why people like certain characters and books.

I think Deadpool might end up being the deus ex machina for bringing back Wolverine with that knife with Wolverine's DNA on it and I know they're releasing Unworthy Thor soon, maybe he'll go kick Beta's ass and just steal his hammer.

here's a newer picture you wont find on the web...signed copy of Marvels by Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek..i have all the original issues signed by ross, limited 1st edition of the dark knight returns, had them all originally and those got stolen years ago, never replaced them and a limited edition slipcover set of the first ten issues of captain america by Kirby and Simon, he died before i could get him to sign it.........WAY TOO MUCH GARBAGE being sold nowadays to kids, the quality of books have decreased while the price has increased...$4.99 for a book??? Please, its just not worth it anymore, i rather buy older stuff and invest than newer stuff....ever so often ill go into a bookstore and see whats new, nothing interest me...download a ton of cbrs off the net and im happy with that, both new and old if its good.......old man logan, walking dead that kind of stuff.....

that book was great but everyone else trying to mimic it was a disaster
trades can go up in value if they're oop

Can you recommend a good website to torrent or download .cbr's?

>that book was great
no

I saw a mint condition copy of Vol. 1 of Joe Kelly's Deadpool going for 800$ online.

there are great comics coming out right now but not the ones you used to read
there's always been a lot of garbage... first ten issues of captain america were trash too lol

yes i knew it was restored, restored copies are everywhere as people years ago thought it would increase the price BEFORE slabbing......once slabbed and verified that its restored, it does not command the same price but now as those originals are more rare than before and demand is greater, the restored copies are alos selling at a high premium, my intial investment was under three grand, try finding that book....comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=/search_adv.asp?all=y&TITLE=amazing+fantasy&TITLEOPT=ALL&ISSUE=&Condition=&ConditionTo=&CensusRank=&SearchPageQuality=&Pedigree=&PRICEF=&PRICET=&DESCRIPTION=&DESCRIPTIONOPT=ALL&SearchRemarks=&SearchCGC=&EXCLUDE=&CATEGORIES=-1&WCATEGORIES=-1&SORT=CATEG&_where_forsale=y&_where_auctions=y&x=0&y=0&where_forsale=y&id=1108069

piratebay or demonoid

If you buy modern comics thinking they are going to be worth anything you are wasting your money

whats trash to one is treasure to another...$800.00 for deadpool # 1.........ill sell you that happily...........

Right venders that sell at conventions are trying to get dumb girls to overpay

oh i get that. but same goes for new comics, right?

don't take me wrong, i read a lot of trash myself. nothing wrong with guilty pleasure. lol but a great comic it wasn't. early kirby is a bad copy of alex raymond while the cap is a shield rip off.

I'm sure people told their kids that saved comics when they first started being made the same thing.

Supply and demand

ive read trash for trash sake........some Battle Pope, other things that cant come to mind right now both marvel and DC....but collecting stuff, nah im done, you guys have fun with your new stuff....