Fountain of Youth within our grasp

We are 20-25 years away from biotechnology that will rejuvenate older people so they will be physically young again - and then they'll stay that way until they die, whether it's a car accident or the sun expanding that finally kills them. If we get some kind of huge breakthrough, we might get there in 10-15 years. There are some negatives for sure, but on the other hand, we as a society absolutely need this. In 2040, over 35% of the GDP of the United States will go to taking care of the elderly. So either we start rejuvenating people so they can take care of themselves again or we start pushing old people into ovens.

>inb4 it's only for the rich people
Yes, in the beginning it will be, just like every other "luxury item" in the history, but it will trickle down very quickly.

>inb4 too many people if nobody dies, overpopulation will kill us all
Overpopulation is bad because there aren't enough resources and because people pollute so fucking much. Technology will solve both of these problems so the carrying capacity of the planet will increase. Also, space travel.

>Rejuvenation biotechnology: Aubrey De Grey at TEDxVienna
youtube.com/watch?v=iVbSQVuFd2k

>Harvard geneticist says reversing aging is plausible
sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/mar/03/george-church-reverse/

>Science is getting to grips with ways to slow ageing. Rejoice, as long as the side-effects can be managed
economist.com/news/leaders/21704791-science-getting-grips-ways-slow-ageing-rejoice-long-side-effects-can-be?fsrc=scn/rd_ec/cheating_death

What's your opinion, Sup Forums? Net positive or not? Do you want to be forever young?

Other urls found in this thread:

factor-tech.com/feature/aubrey-de-grey-ageing-research-moves-on-almost-every-week/
nature.com/articles/srep22555
motherboard.vice.com/read/the-math-that-shows-humans-could-live-ten-times-longer?utm_source=mbfb
washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/scientists-can-make-mice-live-longer-now-they-want-to-do-the-same-for-you/2016/04/18/473a84e6-ff4f-11e5-9d36-33d198ea26c5_story.html
youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY
waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html
bioviva-science.com/2016/04/21/first-gene-therapy-successful-against-human-aging/
futuretimeline.net/beyond-1000000.htm#.V8iPPph96Uk
multivax.com/last_question.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>We are 20-25 years away from biotechnology that will rejuvenate older people so they will be physically young again

a bold fucking claim

factor-tech.com/feature/aubrey-de-grey-ageing-research-moves-on-almost-every-week/

>“I think that I can still stick to the kinds of timeframes that I was saying in the past, which are basically that we’ve got maybe 20-25 years to wait before we really get all of this in place, even the really most difficult parts of it, to a point where we can really talk about having comprehensive medical control of ageing in humans,” he says.

bump

so I don't have time to listen to it now, but does this biotechnology also allow people to grow back their lost limbs, organs or teeth? that would be something

I don't see why not. It really just depends on what the base technology for this is. Are we talking using stem cells to grow replacement parts in a tank? Are we talking nanobots that go in and repair shit on the microscopic level?

Both.

>technology will solve everything.
>In the future.

We haven't even gone farther than the moon.
And that was 50 years ago.

fuck that shit

I want to die at 70

Don't worry Carlos, you're not likely to ever see this technology in your country. And you can always choose not to get the treatments.

>Also, space travel.

How does this help overpopulation?

Dude, the technology is starting to get really awesome. Do you understand exponential curve?

>Scientists just removed HIV from human cells using CRISPR gene editing
nature.com/articles/srep22555

>The Math That Shows Humans Could Live Ten Times Longer
motherboard.vice.com/read/the-math-that-shows-humans-could-live-ten-times-longer?utm_source=mbfb

>Scientists can make mice live longer. Now they want to do the same for you
washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/scientists-can-make-mice-live-longer-now-they-want-to-do-the-same-for-you/2016/04/18/473a84e6-ff4f-11e5-9d36-33d198ea26c5_story.html

>Genetic Engineering Will Change Everything Forever – CRISPR
youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY

>The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence

More resources and more land to put people in.

You want to die at 70 because you think your life will be like pic related when you get older. But what if you were physically 24 even when you are 82?

Space travel is a meme,its not gonna help earth unless we get some super fast shit and can recycle resources, lowering the value of iron for example. But yes it should be done, its just not gonna benefit us.

>more land to put people in

Fucking where? There is nowhere in the solar system hospitable to human life except for Earth. The population of Earth grows by a billion people every decade or so; in 10 years there will still be nowhere else in the solar system to put that additional 1 billion people.

We are not that close. We will have some breakthrough but considering we cant manage to harness the benefits from hormones and steroids I wont hold my breathe.

Likely we are going to end up creating some really spectacular cancer and even when we get the body to last longer the brain will fuck us hard.

We are not going to see effective longevity in our lifetime.

no
fucking
thanks
Valhalla waits for me.

Mars.

>reversing shortened telomeres
How would you restore the information? Isn't it gone forever? Unless you somehow have stored your DNA from when you were young

Terraforming an entire planet is something that would take hundreds of years, at best. In the mean time the population will have increased by more than double. Your idea is horribly idealistic.

If you want to solve overpopulation going to space is simply not an answer.

Separate consciousness from flesh or fuck off.

This is all a pipe dream. It will never be realized. If it is than maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have some old-timey conservative live again

> wanting to live forever

It's our mortality that gives meaning to our time on this planet. Every kiss, hug, punch and Shoah would lose its meaning if we weren't able to die.

The future is of possibility, not inevitability.
While it is fun to theorize based on possibility, it is pointless to have expectations or make plans based solely on it.

Can we not just gas all americans? One of them uses 4 times as much food and pollutes double of the average.

Did you even read the OP?

>Overpopulation is bad because there aren't enough resources and because people pollute so fucking much. Technology will solve both of these problems so the carrying capacity of the planet will increase

Of course I read it, I just think you're retarded. You sound like a religious fanatic, but instead you are just shouting "Science will fix it!" with no proof, no plan, nothing at all except blind faith.

>You want to die at 70 because you think your life will be like pic related when you get older. But what if you were physically 24 even when you are 82?
This is what people never seem to grasp when talking about the possibility of living forever or vastly longer, they think they'll all be decrepit and dementiad out, when in reality if we were able to live forever we'd almost definitely be able to reverse our bodies to the mid 20s or something.

So, you didn't watch the Aubrey de Grey TED talk or read the article of The Economist.

This. This is the point. It's not like when Tithonus asked for eternal life but forgot to ask for eternal youth.

It's firstly about health - get people to stay healthy longer than before. If and when people also live longer because of the therapies, that's a side effect.

People have been screaming "Science will fix it!" for decades, user. The difference between you and I is that I've been alive long enough to realize it is nothing but shameless wishful thinking. I used to be blindly optimistic like you, but I grew up.

hey finbro, pls respond.

My point.

He gives that estimate with the stipulations that there's only a 50% probability and that SENS funding increases dramatically.

Too bad when war breaks out all the research be set back 50 years

bioviva-science.com/2016/04/21/first-gene-therapy-successful-against-human-aging/

There won't be a war, happeningfag.

AI will probably surpass human intelligence in our lifetime which will decide the faith of humanity.

Memedrive? That shit should work wonders.

Yeah no thanks i am already tired of living so it is out of question for me to live forever even if i stayed young and healthy
This existance is shitty anyway

Immortality is the worst shit ever.
We will literally have immortal reptilian overlords ruling over us....

Super AI will exterminate kikes because they are parasites, don't worry friend

It's not about living forever. It's about staying young and healthy as long as you live. Nobody is forcing you to live past 70, just kill yourself when you've had enough or stop the treatments if you want to die "naturally", whatever that means.

You can never be immortal.

YOU CAN NEVER BE IMMORTAL

EVER

Somebody might cut your head off. You might walk in front of a truck. You could fall. Maybe you slip in the bathtub and hit your head. Or maybe you live long enough that the sun expands and the whole universe dies. But you WILL die eventually, 100% guaranteed.

Already saw that source, but it doesn't seem like they have any proof, just claims.

Surprisingly many people will say the same thing.

I bet that the moment automation liberates 50% of the low skilled workers from their jobs in the near future, we're going to see suicide rates explode all over the place.
Because you can only entertain yourself for so long by just existing and doing hedonistic stuff.
Doesn't matter in the least if you're healthy or not. Boredom and existing without meaning will be the biggest killer in the future.
Hell, it's already driving long term NEETs into suicide left and right.
Also if you ask old people do they want to live for another 80 years, the answer will most likely be "hell no"

Immortality could possibly be achieved but not with current techology. Just because we can't imagine it, it doesn't mean it's impossible. Artificial Superintelligence is the keyword here.

The AI would have to prevent the whole universe from dying. Lofty goal. This is what the future will look like if nothing can be done:

600,000,000 AD — Total solar eclipses are no longer possible on Earth

750,000,000 AD — The Sagittarius dwarf galaxy has been absorbed into the larger Milky Way

1,000,000,000 AD — Earth is becoming too hot to support liquid water

3,800,000,000 AD — The Andromeda Galaxy has begun to collide and merge with our own Milky Way galaxy

5,000,000,000 AD — Sol is a red giant

12,000,000,000 AD — Sol is shrinking to become a black dwarf

100,000,000,000 AD — The Virgo Supercluster is converging into a single galaxy

1,000,000,000,000 AD — Star formation is declining in many galaxies

2,000,000,000,000 AD — Galaxies beyond the Local Supercluster are no longer visible

20,000,000,000,000 AD — Red dwarf stars are dying

100,000,000,000,000 AD — The end of the stellar era

2,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 AD — Tellurium-128 reaches the end of its half life

10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 AD — The degenerate era of the universe

000,000,000,000,000,000 AD — The black hole era of the universe

Beyond 10100 — The dark era of the universe

futuretimeline.net/beyond-1000000.htm#.V8iPPph96Uk

Okay then, maybe practically immortal. Also:

multivax.com/last_question.html

>Also if you ask old people do they want to live for another 80 years, the answer will most likely be "hell no"

If they could be regened to age 35 I bet they would say "Hell yeah!"

Your gametes actually produce fresh copies of your genes each time they divide. Telomerase is active in the gametes and in some forms of stem cells (bone marrow), which restores and lengthens telomeres. Your full DNA could be easily read from your gamete DNA, even if your telomeres have shorted in some places.

Telomeres themselves are just random cap segments of DNA that don't really code for anything; they're just a protective structural feature, because your DNA naturally shortens slightly every time a cell divides. You'd only need the DNA information if you were old to the point that the telomeres were gone in most cells and the repeated divisions were starting to cut into important DNA.

In any case I think we're more on the timescale of 50-100 years from a comprehensive understanding of age reversal, and at least 100 years away from mass availability.

I think it will be less than that because we already know why and how we age and how to treat those aspects. Now it's just a matter of coming up with treatments and testing them.

>heart
>lungs
Bad news if they fuck out.

sure OP

i'm confident that this miraculous youth extending technology will trickle down in exactly the same way as the wealth derived from the huge leaps in productivity over the last forty years hasnt

Not so long ago they thought it was impossible to own a PC. Now we have superior technology in our phones.

There's plenty of land for us to live on right now though, we just have shitty land management.
Africa (just an example) has tons of uninhabited land that's perfectly livable. Clearly there's other issues there, but it already exists.

Spices and electricity were once luxury items reserved for kings.

The west will have collapsed to subhumanity before that.
We're not leaving this planet ese. Our unwillingness to slaughter the inferior and practice eugenics will inevitably means the stone age will be our high-technology, since naturally fertily is inversely proportional with IQ.

No, it can't.
We are our brain, and the brain is a physical object, and any method capable of destroying a physical object can kill an "immortal".

When you hear immortality, you probably think something that can only be found in fiction like souls and whatnot.
In the context of the real world, immortality means healthy agelessness. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh I don't doubt that there is plenty of room even for several billions more people, I'm just saying that it is nowhere to be found in space.

Map the brain and back it up somewhere it cannot be destroyed. Could be possible someday.

That's named digital cloning.
A clone is not you, honey.

>there will be days where people yearn for death,but cannot grab it.
Revelations by the way.

Nah m8 fuck you, I plan to live forever.

Launch yourself into a black hole.
Literally nothing can survive that, no amount of technomagic will change that.

... Well, unless you include "attention whore that don't actually want to die" like present-day female suicidees and emo faggots, then yes, we'll probably have a lot of those "people".

We're just 4-dimensional creatures living in a like, 11-dimensional world. They could be loopholes, you know

If you consider digital cloning a viable way to live forever, protip : you won't last even one century. A clone may be closer to you than a child could ever be, but it still isn't you, and think else is pure retardation.

And living forever is impossible anyway, even if you somerhow go around the heat death you still won't live forever because of the following : shit happens.
As long as the probability for catastrophic failure isn't strictly equal to 0 ( hint : it'll never be equal to 0 ), given an infinite amount of time, it'll happens.

Living hundreds, thousands, millions, billions, a googolplex years may perfectly be possible, though.

I very much doubt there's no way to destroy your hypothetical 11-dimensional entity.

I see obama care turning into a eugenics program before this comes to fruition.

The unfunded liabilities are gonna be culled off shortly, this technology is NOT for them.

HAHAHAHAHA you'd have to keep the niggers alive or else it would be racism. Fuck that at least now most of them are in the ground by age 30 don't fucking ruin it

I will probably kill myself that way. Sounds pretty cool.