Daredevil

Just read the first issue from 1964. Surprisingly really good. I'm not usually a huge fan of Silver Age or Stan Lee, but it was decently written, established the character and his powers well enough, and I was surprised at how much of the backstory and characters established here still carries over to recent comics/adaptations.

Thoughts on classic Daredevil? How are you enjoying the current run?

You want some good classic Daredevil? Read the Golden Age version. It's not the same thing, but still.

Has it aged well or remained a product of it's time?

Yes.

It's weird, it's goofy, it's surprising, it has nothing to do with Marvel, but it's fun.

The first comics I read as a kid was the original DD run and I would pour over it all day so I have a soft spot but there are definite problems.

The comic really struggled to find its footing after the origin. The Matt > Karen > Foggy love triangle is shallow even by Silver Age standards and wears thin pretty quick. The whole idea of a superhero lawyer is brilliant but is barely touched upon. I actually enjoy the villains but they lack the spark of Ditko tragedy that the Spider-Man villains had or the sci-fi anything can happen Kirby insanity of the F4 villains. Or there's just plain laziness like literally the first supervillain DD fights being Electro instead of an original character.

The book had a hard time keeping a consistent artist and every time there's a change the tone and style of the book COMPLETELY change. It's almost as if Stan did nothing and the artists were actually plotting the books.... Wally Wood's handful of issues are GOAT, Romita's are strong but he leaves for Spider-Man and then it's up in the air until Gene Colan steps in and saves the book. Colan's DD run on the whole serves more credit.

I just realized, DD has his back to the gangsters on the cover of his very first issue.

The "Daredevil facing the wrong way" joke started from day one

> It's almost as if Stan did nothing and the artists were actually plotting the books....

I've heard that this is a pretty commonly known thing. As I understand it, he'd come up with a lot of designs and plots but it wasn't usually him who'd put pen to paper and get the thing made. Seems like the artist had a lot more influence on Lee's work than he often did.

Thanks for your post though. I'll see how I go once I'm past the first few issues. If I'm enjoying it enough I might get an omni/trades, as I'm being a filthy pirate rn.

...Was D-Man based on this costume?

I wish they'd homage covers like this more often. If they did this sort of thing with their All New All Different characters I'd probably be more willing to give them a shot.

I've skimmed through the next few issues and it sadly seems that you're right. Not sure if it's worth reading *everything* when a lot of it seems like typical 60s filler shit.

The Owl is cool as fuck in these comics. He's closer to the modern Kingpin than the Silver Age Kingpin was. I'm curious why Miller didn't just use him in his DD run.

Original Daredevil was ahead of its time.
It was grim and serious even back then, while most of everything else was campy.
Matt Murdock with his red hair, dark glasses and unsmiling face always impressed me.

I don't know, I have actually never read anything from DC, not one single issue.
So I really don't know when Batman became dark and grim and serious as we know him now.
But I'm under the impression that he was campy too, in the 60s. Maybe I'm wrong.
But Daredevil did really give me those dark Batman vibes even from back then.

DD sucked. X-Men get the meme for being the worst, but it's because they're popular. However, Golden Age Hulk and DD are the worst

As far as the grim and serious stuff you're really only talking about the Wally Wood DD which sadly only lasted a handful of issues

>Matador
>grim and serious
I can't tell whether you're trolling, or are really that dumb

>DD sucked
>meme
>Golden Age Hulk and DD

How do we get these posters off the board?

Well, you can go to reddit?

Hope for capeflicks to get bombed so hard they go back shitting on action flicks

you genuinely think that golden age DD is good? are you crazy? or is it some samefagging?

Early X-Men has nothing going for it. Got better once Stan Lee left.

you first

The only good comic from that era was Spider-Man and FF

>Golden Age Hulk

fuck modern comics golden age will always be better than modern shits

You should try actually reading comics some time

Ah, I goofed. Should be silver age. It doesn't change the fact that both Golden and Silver age eras were crap

Don't pretend like you had ever read any comic book in your life

That's wonderful, now why don't you leave and hide this Silver Age discussion thread so people that do enjoy Silver Age comics can discuss them in a place where it will have no effect on you?

Why would I let you enjoy things?

I think Stan deserves more credit than he gets from Sup Forums. There were times when he just gave Kirby the basic premise of a story and let him go to work, but that's also in part because Kirby was a fucking genius and Stan knew it.

Stan was on over a dozen books at a time while also doing most of the work running the company, scouting for talent, and pushing the brand. He didn't personally write the script to every one of those stories but he had a big hand in most of them.

Usually he'd develop an outline with the artist, coming up with the story beats, the artist would draw it out, then Lee would go back and put in dialogue. This is what became the "Marvel Method".

Kirby and Lee worked more closely on things like Fantastic Four, but over time Stan let Jack do his thing with just advising from himself.

Also it can't be overstated how much Ditko contributed to the first years of Spider-Man, but after that Spider-Man and Hulk were very much Stan's pride and joy, he wrote them personally for years and they're great shows of his own writing prowess.

All of this would be fine if Stan didn't absorb 90% of the credit and profits from all of this through back stabbing, shady deals and using his family relationship to Martin Goodman as leverage.

Batman actually STARTED grim and serious. He got a bit lighter with the introduction of Robin but they were still fighting murderous gangsters and solving gruesome crimes.

It's the 50's that the silly shit in comics comes from. That was because the Comics Code banned anything that was violent or dark.

The early 60's Marvel kind of sparked a revolution with their more serious storytelling, and many at DC picked up on it, Batman in particular started to see some darker stories again. Batman got heavily set back by the 1966 show, which was a big sendup of those 50's comics. The show was so popular Batman became sillier to cash in on it, while Marvel comics continued to be dramatic.

1970 was the year Batman fully returned to his roots with classic crime stories.

Golden Age Daredevil isn't related to Marvel Daredevil in any way and there is no Golden Age Hulk. That poster has no clue what the fuck they're talking about.

>I saw some Silver Age covers posted on Facebook that were so silly, therefore I know the exact level of quality of every Silver Age comic

>Spidey and FF were the only good books!
>Ignoring Strange Tales and Fury's Howling Commandos
M8

This thread needs Mike

I dipped into classic Daredevil as well a bit ago and found it surprisingly really fucking rad as well. Some of the most enjoyable comics I've read. His powers are cool and uniquely used and displayed, one detail I remember loving is that he can make out the shapes of buildings by detecting the change in air currents caused by their presence. His dual life is interestingly explored as well.

It's pretty good. How much did you read?

>Thoughts on classic Daredevil?

He was a loot more of a wacky swashbuckler than I expected. Also dispute being lame now a lot of his villains cold be serious threats with good writing. Leap frog specifically

Yes I was about to bring up the best character in DD history

>I dismiss two entire eras of comics as crap but tell others they don't ead comics
Jesus wept man

>the best character in DD history

A lot more gadgets than I expected too. The smoke should be a standard part of his arsenal really

After AMS I can't read Lee writing.

It was only 100 issues, you fucking baby.