10 years later

youtube.com/watch?v=dAxZVZgpmI0

dated as fuck or held the test of time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XdAgCrH76oo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I started WoW for the first time in October

The grind is basically the same

I had to grind bullshit mobs to catch up to my friends but it isn't as brutal as this makes it out to be.

Can't vouch for the past 10 years though

In 4 weeks I made it to level 78
So 50 levels in 3 weeks isn't too bad.
Or at least I hope

They're grinding in the tutorial area, so they're getting garbage for EXP. At the rate they've been playing (~21 hours a day literally doing nothing but grinding), they would've hit the level cap by then if they were playing normally.

>my mouse clicking fingerhurts
kyle is a dirty clicker and should kill himself

What they're doing had to do with a specific problem with Vanilla WoW.

See back in the day, before the patch to make Silithus open, there actually weren't enough quests in the game to get you to see. Around halfway to 58 you just ran out of quests that gave meaningful experience, so what everyone at the time had to do to get to 60 was go to Burning Steppes or a similar area, and just kill hundreds of mobs until it got you to 60.

> 4 weeks to 78.

Absolutely awful.

With Heirlooms i grinded 1-100 in 3 days after WoD launched and Mages were trash.

Without them easily it would have only taken me an extra day or two.

I played about 4 hours every Saturday/Sunday
One of my friends who was 110 helped grind me through some of the raid bosses
I think I made it to Cataclysm?
Last thing I recall is fighting the Lich King

I can vouch for this. Grinding yetis for 2 levels was bullshit.

It's one of those thingd where people say "leveling is so fast now" and I just think yeah, and in Vanilla's pre-patched state, we had the opposite problem and it takes TOO long.

the game doesnt work that way though, after a certain point you stop getting xp from mobs that are x levels lower than you

>In 4 weeks I made it to level 78
Thats pretty slow.
Here is the fastest I've seen
youtube.com/watch?v=XdAgCrH76oo

In fairness that is a very specific setup you have to do, it can't be done on every class, you need a team of guys ready to go to level with you so that dungeons queues are nonexistant, etc.

Vanilla WoW would have crashed and burned if it came out even a year or two later, I can't tell you how many MMOs I've seen die due to the very same issues it had.

If you couldn't find runs in Lower Blackrock Spire or Upper Blackrock Spire, Blackrock Depths, or Sunken Temple, sure.

You ran out of quests because you were supposed to transition to running dungeons.

>You ran out of quests because you were supposed to transition to running dungeons.

Pretty sure it happened they said because of an oversight.

I don't know if it would've crashed and burned, but it wouldn't have lasted as long.

That is the context in the show, though. They couldn't enter the persistent world because they'd just get immediately massacred by the no-life guy. The tutorial instance allowed them to grind in safety.

It's been a while since I've seen the episode, but I'm not sure if they even hit the level cap so I'm not sure if that would even apply.

The game had no instancing back then.

WoW really kicked off the modern MMO style of having sufficient solo content til level cap. The 58+ gap was a mistake, not a design choice.

Also in the hypothetical world where it was their choice it'd have been a poor one since class balance was way off and not every class was in demand for dungeons (save raids where mechanics forced at least a couple members of each class).

Well they were in a safe-zone of sorts, no doubt filled with nothing but trash mobs. Otherwise, again, they'd be killed on sight.

>WoW really kicked off the modern MMO style of having sufficient solo content til level cap.
This. Games like Everquest and FFXI still had the design of "no fuck you, you have to do everything as a team" after a certain point. And after a certain point, that's overdoing it.

Content gaps gutted Champions Online and Warhammer (among other things. Shit like that's not tolerable for the non-Korean MMO gamer.

It's not tolerable NOW. People were far more tolerant of this shit back in the day because we didn't really have other MMO models to compare to, besides the ones based on player-created content.

Like I said, even a year or two after WoW's release that shit was unacceptable. If WoW had come out later so it had any actual competition we might have had a very different titan of the MMO industry to complain about.

10 years ago leveling to 60 was slow as fuck

In any case I thought the episode was weird even then because the strongest dude somehow broke the level cap

Who /legacy/ here?

The MMO industry blew up because of WoW though, and all those copycats existed because of WoW

The starting area in Elwyn forest is instanced now?

I thought it was just a joke on how naked rogues were overpowered as fuck in vanilla because they didn't need gear for their weapon scaling.

Who gives a shit?
Can you all stop pretending to be cool kids for a minute?
Most of the best episodes of your favorite shows, aswell as most of your favorite movies, comics, books, and music, are either dated or are going to be.

I'm not a GAMER so I never thought this episode was especially funny. I was in 8th grade at the time though, so the entire episode was quoted incessantly which caused me to double down my hate for this episode.

It should've caused you to double down on hating the dumb faggots constantly quoting it in school.

ITT people who didn't actually play Vanilla

There were plenty of quests to hit 60. You had to space out the exp with dungeon quests, mob exp you got during dungeons and exp you got from killing mobs while questing.

>actual Vanilla to end of Cata veteran
>hearing people talk about Vanilla WoW 12 years later
Most people barely remember it correctly or they're lying. I really really miss Nost

I'm so fucking hyped for Blizzcon just because I want either legacy or nost news.

lost all my nost screenshots so im posting corecraft test server instead

There was definitely a lull in quests when you got close to the mid-50s. Not high enough to get the 57+ quests and you possibly ran out of the lower 50s quests. Most of the time I did well, but I remember grinding out half a bar on zombie bears in western plaguelands to unlock the next set of quests by leveling to 55.

>still had the design of "no fuck you, you have to do everything as a team" after a certain point. And after a certain point, that's overdoing it.

I find it hilarious how dated Destiny was with the same damn issue at launch.
I've been told the newest DLC fix that but I haven't tried it

>corecraft

literally never

has South Park done an esports episode yet? I hope they have but imagine it would be all over Sup Forums so I doubt its been done yet

I never got into the WoW craze since I never had internet or a computer good enough when it was still good. Was it really as addicting as they say back then? I feel like I dodged a bullet since I know I probably would've let it suck me in and then never want to get out

I was just trying to stir a fun conversation friend
No reason to project so hard

addictive

not addicting

one is a verb and the other is an adjective

fuck

ehh

Everyone was a clicker and keyboard turner back then.

ITT "I'm better at vidya than you"
It's like I'm really on Sup Forums

The actual cartoon is pretty spot-on though. You stop getting sun and exercise, you become a fat pimply neckbeard.

What, like "shit in a bucket" addictive? No. It was about as bad as any other major game; you'd have people skip school or work in order to play new expansions, or stock up on snacks and marathon all weekend or whatever.

I'm sure you could find instances of people literally pooping into socks, but I think that says more about the individuals than the game.

Fuck you Garithos. Blood Elves is best Elves.
>You will never fuck an Elf with the magic jitters.

>this is what normalfags actually believe
I haven't gotten a decent amount of sun or exercise in years. I just don't eat much and what I do eat isn't greasy. My beard doesn't grow in for shit, but I do shave my shitty little beaner mustache. So I'm not fat, pimply, or a neckbeard.

Garithos was right.

Destiny is what happens when you try to hybrid two gaming systems without understanding how both work or their communities

MMO communities are all about time = advantage, the more time you sink into the game the better you will be then someone fresh or has put much less time in, basically the South Park episode of this thread is a parody of it, the more time you put in, the more powerful you are, skill is not the end all be all

FPS communities are all about skill = advantage, while time is still needed the playing field stays constantly fair, you play an hour a day or 10 that SMG still does the same damage or stays close in the range,same with your health, speed, and what not, basically in most competitive shooters once you unlock all the tools (usually 10 hours or much less) it's all about how steady your aim is and how fast you respond to attack.

Mixing these two communities is very bold because you are dealing with such dramatically different mind sets to how a game should work, sadly Bungie went full retard and applied a archaic RNG system and gate lock the best (and very limited) gear behind a 6 man raid that had no form of match making assistance in game hub/world. This lead to horror stories where some would spend weeks to months trying to get to max level or get the best weapons while they watch lucky duck get it all in one swoop and due to him having descent fps skill immediately out classes you even though you played long and/or have more skill. That was the other issue is they didn't even heed to balancing weapons in PVP so the first week after the raid drop you had people that had one hit killing guns in the pvp areas basically griefing the players. And every DLC and major patch was just a constant pendulum swing back in forth with both gun balance and skills leading to radical changes where a build that work in say October would become a waste of your time in December. Through all this I'm just amazed how badly Bungie fuck things up

it was the tail end of the pioneering days of MMOs so it wasn't as bad a time sinker as Everquest was and didn't have nearly has sizzling news story's like it had where adults were killing themselves because someone deleted their character or killing someone else because that would give them the chance to steal the now dead guys #1 spot on the rankings however every gag in the South Park episode is based on news and stories that were released at the time.
but to you question it was only as addictive as you let any basic Skinner box system be in your life, so it could be as bad as gambling if you get a high at winning.
you could even say getting high on the "dare to win"

Destiny is fun but i fully and freely admit it's complete shit in a lot of ways.

and i know it's almost a joke to say it at this point, but i think the sequel will fix a lot of the issues Activision forced.

>Destiny is fun but i fully and freely admit it's complete shit in a lot of ways.
I like you and that attitude, to often people get obsessed with things they love needing to be perfect wafius with no flaws. It's really refreshing to see someone go "Yeah it's fuck up but that's my game, I find it fun"

The super hardcore world first guilds just take off from work for progression and then play a normal amount of hours once everything is on farm. People who get addicted just have addictive personalities.

>grind through raids
i guess your friend is retarded, because you don't get experience through that shit

even without the specific set up it maybe takes 2x longer than 5 hours.

Too bad they didn't do an episode on Runescape. Guess they don't do unpopular stuff.

but they did do one about the xbone

It's bullshit because you will stop getting experience from mobs at one point from enemies lower lever then you

Also Kalimdor exist

Runescape never really broke into the mainstream.

I'd like to think it was the limited java browser graphics and the sheer amount of time you had to sink into the game for high stats some cool looking items was unreal. The risk was real as far as dueling and the wilderness went.

you can't take the episode seriously because blizzard would just ban the guy

I haven't played since HoW, are the new raids better than Crota?

Also how #rare are the Supremacy and Queen ships these days? I'm wondering if they'd turn heads now

Look I can buy the joke that the guy is to powerful for even the GM to deal with, I don't buy experience from mobs way below you.

This is a very smart post, I am genuinely surprised. So, in the end, Sup Forums is still capable of talking about videogames putting brain cells at work. There's still hope.

The new raids demand more team work but suffer the usual flaws
>Supremacy and Queen ships these days?
Stupid common they have recycled HoW and Queen theme stuff constantly to the point it's unavoidable to be stuff with gear, weapons ships and loot that is Queen's Wrath and HoW related

Siege Machine is the best part of any of the raids so far.

Never touched WoW. Still one of my favorite episodes. I'm willing to bet I wouldn't like it as much if I did play it.

Do people still play that game?

>gaining weight while playing WoW excessively
I was always too phased out by the game to realize i'm hungry and end up losing weight
My BMI was down to 16 by the time I quit

Most folks that I know who play it love that episode.