Really excites your train of thought, doesn't it?

Really excites your train of thought, doesn't it?

I actually like it, really did get me thinking

Hah, this image is based on the fact that the square root of 4 is 2. Since I knew this, this clearly means that this image conveys a message in a way that not all people (probably only a very small number of enlightened people) understand, so it must clearly be true.

If 4 wanted to be worshipped why would he hold up the square root sign. That's like a magician showing the audience how he's doing the tricks.

Woaahh...

Well it can ether be 2 or -2. They're just taking him back to elementary school

What's the message here? That people like politicians who think like they do?

Whoah thats like north korea like woah im really thinking

Because he's not a 4
He's a 2.

i thought the message was that leaders try and present themselves as above the people or even demi-gods sometimes, but in reality we are all just the same flesh and bone people.

maybe im looking too hard into it though..

But square root of 4 has two solutions, namely 2 and -2.

If he actually is a 2 pretending to be a 4 why hold up the sign then? This is retarded

This image is actually pretty good.
Yeah, they are the same as we are but were smart enough to figure out a way to get to the top.

this.

No, it can't be, you disgusting filthy fucking faggot. By definition a square root can only be a positive number - the absolute value of the two numbers you just gave us.

not really, +-2, he's clearly superior to those unternumbers

>Well it can ether be 2 or -2. They're just taking him back to elementary school
Then you should be the one to go as well because the fact that it can be -2 does not make his statement false.

he just is the square root of 4 all the time and just pretends to be above others while in reality he is the same.

-2^2 = -2 * -2 = 4

Are you a Gyppo?

There's only men in the picture.

no wonder you're going Hungary.

>there's only men
>there are only men

If he were the square root of 4 all the time it would be on his shirt. Are you saying he is always using that hand to hold up the square root?

Illuminati confirmed.

what are stinky viral marketers on top of?

this is what the comic was supposed to make you think

Goddamnit I hate this place sometimes

retard alert, retard alert!

Someone didn't learn about imaginary numbers

THE SQUARE ROOT OF FOUR IS TWO OR MINUS TWO

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ARE ALL """"CARTOONISTS"""" THIS FUCKING RETARDED?

I know this, why are you pretending this is some arcane knowledge?

>Every positive number a has two square roots: √a, which is positive, and −√a, which is negative. Together, these two roots are denoted ± √a (see ± shorthand). Although the principal square root of a positive number is only one of its two square roots, the designation "the square root" is often used to refer to the principal square root. For positive a, the principal square root can also be written in exponent notation, as a1/2.

From Wikipedia.

While I wasn't exactly right, everyone else besides me is utterly wrong and you all deserve to be thrown into a meatgrinder.

>hungry intellectuals

Also goes for you as well.

ITT: middle schoolers

What the artist didn't know he conveyed was that 4 is trying to be different to get others to like him. Him holding up the sign is his struggle and effort to be liked. If he ever loses his will to keep that up, people will see him for who he truly is.

A faggot.

that's not how those work either, sqrt(-4) would be an imaginary number

Us math geeks am I right?

A comic where someone rips the square root sign away and all the 2's suddenly shun the exposed 4 would really get my central almonds activating.

-2^2 = 4

topkek

its -4

(-2)^2 is 4

Americans are fucking awful at maths.

I have a PhD in computer sciences. Not an argument, detracting from the issue at hand. Fuck off, shill.

By definition, √a = b if and only if b^2 = a and b ≥ 0. Having a variable have two values simultaneously would be a pain in the ass, so the b ≥ 0 requirement is included in the definition. This is why you include the plus-minus sign when solving equations like these: x^2 = 5 x = ±√5.

The expression "the square root of x" is ambiguous though, because it includes both the positive (the principal root) and the negative number. So technically the expressions "square root of x" and "√x" are not synonymous.

>cs majors
>knowing math

You are retarded. There is NOTHING that says the root of a number has to be positive. Go spout your uneducated opinion elsewhere.

you're fooling no one, 1% -- you are not one of us

>-2^2 = -2 * -2 = 4
american education

math is just jewish pseudoscience designed to distract us while niggers fuck our wives, wake up goyim

That's what I said you moron, the square root of x may be positive or negative, but √x is never negative.

I write code so for me -2**2 is 4

finn bro I write code -2**2 is 4

It's not -1*(2**2)

what language?

THERE ARE NO SQUARE ROOTS OF NEGATIVE NUMBERS.

BUT A NEGATIVE NUMBER CAN BE THE SQUARE ROOT OF A DIFFERENT NUMBER.

-2 * -2 = 4, so sq. rt of 4 = BOTH 2 and -2.

Jesus.

>cs

Its like self-flagellation

I do bioinformatics so I'm not a hard core CS guy

>Perl
>Python
>R
>Bash

I did a little Java in undergrad

I can read a little bit of C and I would like to learn C++ for the future

>I study the genetics of Autism

-2**2 is -4 because the "**"-operator takes precedence over the "-"-operator and the expression is evaluated as -2**2 = -(2**2) = -4. You want (-2)**2.

>The square root of x may be positive or negative, but THE SQUARE ROOT OF X IS NEVER NEGATIVE

Have you ever, even a single time in your entire life, had to solve a second order equation?

x2 = 4. Solve for x.

What's that, there's two answers? Woah that must be because √4 = 2 AND -2.

>-2**2 is 4
the languages you use have fucked up operator precedences

breifly skimmed the thread, still don't get it

explain pls

haha fuck you're right.

I said I didn't do CS I did biology as an undergrad.

Good thing I use variables

>THERE ARE NO SQUARE ROOTS OF NEGATIVE NUMBERS.
There are, \sqrt(-1)=i (imaginary unit)

everyone who says sqrt4 is not -2 if fucking retarded and should kill himself.

who gives a fuck

and give me example which language can give you -2**2.

>-2**2.
meant -2**2=4

holy shit i feel so dumb

This tbqh

There's some real fucking retards on Sup Forums today. I'm not sure if they're shills, normies or highschool kids that just got off school.

I didn't know the - was an operator and not part of the integer value

I guess you learn new things everyday

>everyone who says sqrt4 is not -2
Did you even read my post?

>"How can it equal one? If one times one equals one that means that two is of no value because one times itself has no effect. One times one equals two because the square root of four is two, so what's the square root of two? Should be one, but we're told its two, and that cannot be."

Really makes you think

>I didn't know the - was an operator and not part of the integer value
... Where were you in school, buddy?

Gender studies?

√x is not "the square root of x" - which has two answers - but the PRINCIPAL (= non-negative) square root of x. Did you ever solve x^2 = 5 like this?

x^2 = 5
x = √5

And did you teacher give you shit for it? Because you're supposed to write:

x^2 = 5
x = ±√5

If the expression √x includes both the positive and the negative numbers, then why is the plus-minus sign used in equation solving and why is it present in the binomial formula? It's because √x is unambiguously positive, and if you want the negative root you must mark -√x.

There are more than just two number types, negative and positive are binary types. There is transnegative, transpositive, anumeral, and so many more!

Stop arguing Sup Forums and be progressive!

I didn't study CS I studied biology mate.

It's basic algebra, man. Granted you don't need it much for molecular science (or whatever "biology" is supposed to mean), but fuck...

Oops, replace "binomial formula" with "quadratic formula".

"-" is a unary operator
also, programming statements consist of only variables (including literals) and operators (including functions)

i learned something 2day. Thank you philosophical bait

The picture in OP? Think of it this way. The 2's in the picture are all worshipping the god sqrt4. The idea that God is external to these 2's. The one 2 that actually sees the truth(we are god, we are one, god flows through us and is not external), that the god they are worshipping in actuality points to themselves (2), is being carried away like all of those who reveal this truth. Lucifer himself.

And did you know, Sup Forums, that sum of all natural numbers is -1/12?

1+2+3+4+5+6+...=-1/12

>imaginary

i am just pretending

You suck at interpretation. Its not supposed to be about God at all, its about political leaders.

In Common Lisp, where you don't have operator precedence fucktardation, it's perfectly clear that
(expt -2 2) ;; returns 4
(- (expt -2 2)) ;; returns -4

Of course, since - is a function call in CL, that takes a variadic number of arguments, the result is completely obvious. You don't have Haskell's "remember the difference between unary and binary operators! Also, since we curry all functions, they're all really unary, so keep that in mind! :D" lovable hipster bullshit either.

Maybe he is touched by the madness of the Old Ones

Cthuhlu F'thgna

I'm done trying to educate you. The square root operator has both negative and positive results unless one or the other is explicitely requested via the + or - operators prior to the square root operator.

I know retards like you. You are uneducated, you think you are right, and nothing anyone else says will be able to persuade you that you are not right. You will just keep on parroting your shitty, retarded, factually wrong statement over and over again. Worse yet, some equally uneducated morons will probably end up believing you, and will parrot the same lies you do, thus spreading the cancer further. Congratulations, you are a shitstain on the glorious porcelain of science and mathematics. Fucking kill yourself.

>attempting to find the sum of non-converging series

i feel you. then again, most people cannot properly position their organs

Oh yeah, mathematical functions that take variadic arguments (ie, you supply a list of args), return the identity when you call them without arguments.

(For those that don't remember their higher level maths, the identity under a function is the argument you curry a function with so that the curried function becomes an identity function.
For example, for + and - it's 0, and for * it's 1.)

>arguing and calling each other retarded over semantics

Lol ok retard. And what makes you think that?

well, I know it is not true. But sometimes this sum makes sense and is very useful

it's about conning a group of dumb people by creating a cult of personality

>He doesn't know what a function is

ok so I thought - was a literal and not an operator my bad.

>He doesn't know how to use the fundamental theorem of algebra as it relates to x^2 - 4

>The square root operator has both negative and positive results unless one or the other is explicitely requested via the + or - operators prior to the square root operator.
Maybe that is true in your layman's definition of √x, but any serious mathematician uses a definition of √x that requires it to be non-negative and thus unambiguous.

I'm guessing you're using that old Numberphile bait video to bait here yourself?

how much did my comic make you think?

>He doesn't know that the sum diverges, and what Ramanujan meant was that if it did converge, it would converge to -1/12

>The irony in this post

Fucking look at the graph of sqrt(x)

Ramanujan was legit retarded. This is what happens when people try to invent math before inventing toilets.

>what Ramanujan meant was that if it did converge, it would converge to -1/12
Well not shit, I guess that's why it doesn't fucking converge then, because you'd get a negative fraction from a series of positive integers you autistic fuck. If 1+1 wasn't 2, it would be -5 according to these rules that I just made up. God I hate self-learned Indian mathematicians so much.

So then does the function f(x) = 17th root of x have 17 values for each of the roots then?

>He doesnt know that functions have one value for every input

>inb4 i-it's an o-operator
Operations can be thought of as functions.

>Ramanujan was retarded

top kek

Pure Mathematician here: √4 can be -2.

(-2)*(-2)=4