I just saw Doctor Strange and personally I felt it was alright...

I just saw Doctor Strange and personally I felt it was alright. It felt very generic for Marvel/Disney and nothing about really stood out.

It really tried to do the Inception thing with the magic, but even that never felt as smart or as well thought out as Inception was

Other urls found in this thread:

southpark.cc.com/clips/360419/a-dream-within-a-dream
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uoNAFfvKg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the visuals and humor stood out for me
would watch again on those alone

I don't know I personally felt the humor was out of place. I think Doctor Strange would have been better served being a bit more serious and less jokey.

The visuals work for the magic.

Welcome to fucking Marvel, dude. Don't expect much more than "alright" with cape films.

I guess your right user, I did go in not being sure if I was going to like the movie or not. However I went because my friends wanted to go so I joined them

>It felt very generic

So it felt like a Marvel/Disney movie? shocking

>but even that never felt as smart or as well thought out as Inception was
This has to be bait.
southpark.cc.com/clips/360419/a-dream-within-a-dream

I'm in Canada so I can't see that, but is this the dream episode?

If it is I am more than aware that the dream sequence thing is nothing new, dreams within dreams and how their perceived have been done in multiple movies. I was just using Inception as an example because that's literally what Doctor Strange tried to mimick with those sequences

>I think Doctor Strange would have been better served being a bit more serious and less jokey.

You'd be wrong then.

The audience I was with needed every moment of levity to exhale.

Even Chiewetel Ejifor can only say the Dark Dimension so many times before the audience is going to roll their eyes.

Sounds like cape comics :^)

I will have to agree to disagree. I think if the movie would have concentrated on actually developing it's plot and introducing us into the world of magic it would be much better.
Also I am not saying removing levity altogether, but making things less jokey and humorous

After having read all the Ditko Strange stuff prior to seeing it, I was pretty underwhelmed. Marvel movies have just become way too predictable at this point.

I feel like doing that is pretty much stabbing yourself before seeing the movie with the way current Marvel movies are done

Maybe one day Marvel will attempt to make a great movie, until then, I think I'm done with cape movies.

DORMAMMU, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN.

le hahah xD

I'd give it a 7/10.

It follows the basic structure of MCU Origin movies so far. I personally only had some small problems with it.

Tone - it's all over the place, clashing and contrasting. I have no problem with quips or "fun moments", but some of them are extremely out of place like: Strange being pulled in the opposite direction by the Cloak of Levitation.

The quips themselves are "somewhat funny", but they're executed at the absolute worst possible times. It really deflates the movie at those points.

Villain - Kaecilius is a really weak villain. His motivations are generic, his line delivery is bland. It's a shame because his actor was really good on Hannibal. He's not quite Ronan tier, but he's close.

However the visuals are amazing, Mordo and The Ancient One were captivating. And the final battle is arguably the most creative one yet in the MCU.

Also based on the Mid-Credits Scene, Strange seems to be more experienced. He's got his signature gloves and everything. Is he the Sorcerer Supreme at this point? Because of how easily he conjured and refilled Thor's drink, I'd say so.

The movie basically follows the Doctor Strange origin to a T, with only a few exceptions. It was shockingly loyal to capturing Stephen's arrogance. I was really taken aback by how obnoxious they were able to make him.

Dormammu, I've come to bargain.

Cucumber patch has been playing Sherlock for years. He has arrogant asshole on point.

>Kaecilius is a really weak villain. His motivations are generic, his line delivery is bland. It's a shame because his actor was really good on Hannibal. He's not quite Ronan tier, but he's close.

He was understated which made him work better.because he's a parallel to Stephen's faults, and his revelation of the Ancient One's "hypocrisy" is in fact true. He arguable successfully tempts Stephen and he had noble, if self-serving goals, just like Stephen.

Kaecilius isn't going in the villain hall of fame, but he was a good setup.

I liked that the movie gave more nods to Cosmic Marvel, between the multiverse stuff, and most notably, the staff of The Living Tribunal

DORMAMMU, I'VE COME TO BARGAIN

I love that he beat a god by save scumming.

Maybe something with the tone of TWS
Again, Feige is trying to replace IronMan with Doctor Strange so they are forcing humor to cater the IronMan audience

Dormammu's design was shitty. I wanted a god with a head of fire not a blobfish. I'm glad that he got played for a joke.

>as smart or as well thought out as Inception was

>It felt very generic for Marvel/Disney and nothing about really stood out.
An MCU movie feeling generic? Clearly Hell has frozen over

You cant be handicapped enough to think Inception is bad.

This planet need a mass genocide.

I was kind of expecting MvC3 Dormammu desu senpai

but this designed worked well enough for the time being

>I'm glad that he got played for a joke.

That's pretty much how Dormammu is always played the guy is a jobber.

It's a shame it didn't give any nods to the mystic realm as well, it was supposed to be introducing.

The mystic universe is the cosmic universe's bitch.

> No sibling rivalry of the Elder Gods (which is what led to the Vishanti being formed in the first place).
> No Octessence and Cytorrak
> No Vishanti
> Both Stephen and Wanda are both dependent on Infinity Stones.

Y'know, that would be kind of hilarious if the MCU introduced Cytorrak and screwed Fox over should they ever attempt to do anything with Juggernaut again.

I think it's him not having encountered Earth at this point. Once he sends a physical manifestation of himself, then you get flamey-head man.

>I was just using Inception as an example because that's literally what Doctor Strange tried to mimick with those sequences
Yes. Because Inception fucking invented buildings folding in on themselves and the idea of looking at three dimensions from another one.

Bravo, Chris.

I never said that Inception invented it either, I am more than aware that it existed in Escher paintings and other forms of media. If you read my comment I said that the scenes felt like they were trying to mimick Inception, that doesn't mean Inception invented it

Got back from an early screening. Now I am listening to Punk Floyd and sipping mead.

Also, pretty sure someone around me in the theater smelt a bit of weed.

Dormammu, I've [shot]

That's like saying Dr Strange was mimicking The Matrix with its wise mentor and Asian kung fu monks revealing to the hero a world of dimensions beyond what he knew.

dat Stan Lee cameo
dat book reference

Funny. I was just looking this up the other day.

This. The story was good, the jokes kept the movie going (not too much, not too little), and the visuals were insane. I plan to see it again this weekend.

My theater was completely packed, I'd say it's working.

Another decade when the Doctor Strange trilogy is over, Marvel will most probably relaunch the series making it even more bizarre than before and they'll recast Benderdump CuddleBat as a black guy...

>Another decade when the Doctor Strange trilogy is over, Marvel will most probably relaunch the series making it even more bizarre than before and they'll recast Benderdump CuddleBat as a black guy...

Doctor Strange was depicted as black in the Avengers 100th Anniversary Special.

Marvel is already ahead of you.

Damn Marvel don't waste time with that diversity, though Dr Strange is psychedelic and funky enough a concept for a Jimmy Hendrix type persona I guess. That'd be an interesting take actually.

isnt bargaining painful

Stop arguing for the safe of arguing faggot.

I didn't mind the humor itself, but I felt it just went on too long everytime it was time for a joke. Almost as if people wouldn't have understood they were supposed to laugh if they didn't make it blatantly obvious that it was supposed to be a lighthearted moment. They might as well have used a laugh track at some parts.

> still a straight cis male
When are thees conservative shitlords ever gonna learn?

>catched

they wrote the movie to be exactly how i wanted it
the smarmy, egotistical, doctor H̶o̶u̶s̶e̶ Strange(played by notable English actor with an american accent ̶H̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶L̶a̶u̶r̶i̶e̶ Benedict Cumberbatch) has a l̶e̶g̶ hand injury, gets cut off V̶i̶c̶o̶d̶i̶n̶ money and seeks healing magic and gets s̶h̶a̶n̶g̶h̶a̶i̶e̶d̶ Kathmandu'd into becoming N̶e̶o̶ the sorcerer supreme]

my only negative for this movie and the only thing keeping it from being 10/10 is it's sence of pacing
how fucking long did he spend learning his shit?
how long did he spend in the dark detention?
a day
a week
or even a year
i have a bargain dormammuuuuuu, when the rain starts to pour

He's in a Floyd hole.
Quick! Fill the tub with ice!

I quite enjoyed it. Fun, clever, great visuals.

I liked that technology was never treated as something beneath the sorcerers. When people got hurt, they went to the hospital.

His confrontation(s) with Dormamu was good, I like that it was just clever thinking and a willingness to sacrifice that allowed him to win.

You're a big guy.

Yeah, even if it was just some simple dialogue, I wish they had given us an idea of how much time had passed at certain points. I assume he must have been studying for years since it took that other guy two years just to be able to walk again and since Strange himself mentioned years of learning and practice when comparing it to how he learned to be a neurosurgeon.

Just saw it, and I loved it. It felt like a Doctor Strange movie about Doctor Strange himself and not about getting him to where he needs to be. I like that there's no destiny involved in any of the proceedings. It's all characters pursuing their goals. Good action, great visuals, really nice moments. Night Nurse is CUTE. Mordo is a beast, si much more likable than comics Mordo. Wong is a champ. A ton of good details. I fucking called that they would name-drop the Wand of fucking Watoomb.

From that meta perspective, It didn't beat me over the head with being insufferably clever at making every little piece of the adaptation fit, but there were enough small things that you could tell they put a lot of thought into getting the right tone. It definitely felt like there was a scene or two cut that might have made a smoother transition for certain characters resolving to do certain things, but otherwise it was nice. It wasn't afraid to just be an absolutely overwhelming spectacle, pulling very few punches. I enjoyed that over the top, if it had slowed down at all or lingered or brooded then the weight of all the shit going on might have settled in. So maybe those scenes were cut for good reason. 3D IMAX is worth it, you find yourself taken a little.bit out of comfort and reality which is perfect. Astral forms look amazing in 3D

He has photographic memory to justify him learning stuff probably weeks at most. I'm not scientist but i guess it doesn't matter how long you take in a time loop since its strange's choice to lift it. You could imagine something like haruhi's endless eight but in a condensed form.

Shouldn't Dormammu be immune to the Eye of Agamotto if he exists beyond time? This is the problem with fantasy stories, I hate when the rules aren't clearly explained or don't seem consistent or logical.

If the only thing you got out of the movie was "hurr inception because buildings" you're an idiot. It wasn't at all trying to be Inception.

Also just got back from seeing it and think it's the best origin story film of the MCU thus far. All the ideas felt pretty original to me. Visuals were amazing. Jokes kind of subverted themselves and became funnier. Very faithful to the Classic ideas of Strange especially the role sacrifice plays for the Sorceror Supreme.

8/10 for me.
They literally said he didn't exist outside of time. That was the point of the final sequence.

what's everyone think of the new marvel opening?
i felt like it screamed
>we are not marvel
>call us the mcu now

he is which is why he remembered every time and doctor strange didn't

also fekin magic mang

I think he's immune which is why he knows he's stuck in a loop. Otherwise i imagine any other person would just continue on in a loop forever without realizing it.

I thought it was damn good. Everyone in the theatre i was at sounded like they had a great time. Lots of laughs and a nice introduction of a lot of different things to an already big universe.

Fox wouldn't give a shit
In their universe Juggs is a mutant

They fucked up Dormammu's look

>what's everyone think of the new marvel opening?
Over complex and too busy, I liked the more simplistic comic pages flipping

Yeah, I hate the new opening. The previous one was nice and clean.

You're the one being a faggot. Obviously those scenes did way more than just buildings bending over themselves like inception. I don't get why you're obsessed with comparing the two movies when the thing they have in common is "buildings went upside down". Are you a fucking child?

Anyone look at the spell casting and think "Fuck, I wish Doctor Doom was part of the MCU". Because as time goes on I really want the damn F4 rights back even more.

>We'll never get Doom and Strange going on radical magic adventures
why live

Basically this. I'm tired of Sup Forums tier idiots parroting that Inception fucking invented those visuals/effects. Christ look at an Escher painting.

My friend noticed one of the people mentioned needing surgery was a high ranking naval officer with spinal lacerations. So if it was rhodey..... then the start of the movie is co-current with civil war. Wonder how much time passes from then to him getting the hang of astral projecting and so on. I wonder if a year has passed or how long exactly to the mid credits scene.

>We'll never see Thing battle The Hulk, Reed making Tony feel like an idiot, or Doom wipe the floor with the entire Avengers as the next big bad
I'm mad

>FF
>ever getting a good movie
Whatever, we'll never see Namor become a movie producer so he can make Sue Storm pose for him or anything else that'd be great.

Truthfully, I'm agreeing with the other. You are doing the classic internet thing of grabbing a detail and just running it so fsr that it loses its context and you infer something other than what the guy tried to say. Yes it may not have been a good conparison and OP already admitted it. In internet terms, you won already man. Leave it. Why are you pushing this? Honestly, I hope you don't reply to me or him on this because that gives me hope that people are willing to act decent even while anonymous. Be a good man, not a vindictive child.

With FOX trying so hard to slap the Marvel name on the X-Men movies to make casuals think it's the MCU (same with F4), they needed something to bang the plebs over the heads that this is the motherfucking Marvel Cinema Universe with the Avengers.

Not him but, where do you think you are user?

Famous Brand. It's more popular than any franchise Fox has at current.

It was actually amazing, id definitely pay to see it again just for the visuals

they were in Germany when that happens but good ears

Feige has said its not Rhodey.

I always hope for a better tomorrow. People think being anonymous means to truly be yourself and that our true face are all terrible people. I refuse to believe that. It is a thought born out the early days of imageboards where everyone was edgy. We can still be good people, sure a little trolling now and then or some internet rough housing, but anonymity doesn't mean animosity.

You're playing a role now, user. You're not being you.

You can twist it anyway you like. If it makes you feel better when you are mean to people, then fine. My goal isn't to censor people. It is just to bring up another way of thinking as opposed to the traditional one on Sup Forums.

How was the score? Did Michael Giacchino actually raise it up to a level that added to the film, or was it more typical Marvel background filler stuff?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uoNAFfvKg

Typically it was underplayed, but it was definitely a considerable amount more unique than say something like Thor or Iron Man.

They go into silence a lot so it's generally more noticeable when there is music, not that the music itself might be more interesting; though it is sometimes.

>having to act like your that much better than other people.

>It felt very generic for Marvel/Disney and nothing about really stood out.

this is actually quite an achievement, as most marvel movies have been nothing but generic.

I loved all the action sequences, but a special mention goes to the time-rewinding Hong Kong battle. They got a ton of mileage out of that concept and did a lot of cool stuff with it, like when the fish tank reforms around the zealot and traps them inside. Are there any other particular action-related stuff you guys found enjoyable?

I would have appreciated more dry humor. Goddamnit Marvel there's other ways to make things funny

Animated movie was a better character piece

Cloak of Levitation is /ourcape/

Nigga was my only response to that stupid back and forth. Hop off your ivory tower dipshit. No one thinks your Inception comparison is a good one

Whenever someone fucked with gravity. Like the scene when the gravity was flipped in the Sanctum and Strange used it to slam a zealot straight to the desert

>buhh you're being mean to a pompous dick who was saying something stupid and called someone else a faggot when they called him out

Truly you're doing God's work defending the helpless, user.

That was pretty sweet. I also thought it pretty cool that we got an honest-to-god astral projection battle. I also liked how Strange frying that suckas soul wasn't just glossed over, but used as an actual plot point to highlight the differences between Mordo's and Strange's ideals.

It was unique enough to make my actually consider it being pretty neat while watching the movie.

There was one little tune I really enjoyed at the moment when he grabs a random relic of some sort during a fight while not knowing what it is.

The score is great IMHO.