/ruslan/ Russian language learning club

We have:

Penguin Russian course: amazon.com/New-Penguin-Russian-Course-Beginners/dp/0140120416

Princeton Russian course: cytrussian.tuxfamily.org/

Learn Russian with RT: learnrussian.rt.com/

Memrise

Duolingo

How far along are you in your studies? What is your strategy? What are your goals? Any helpful tips?

Attached: seat.jpg (748x750, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Метатеза_плавных_в_славянских_языках
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_liquid_metathesis_and_pleophony
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fuck off pooftah

I'm probably about 15% of the way there. To a Russian, I sound like a retard. To someone from my home country, I sound amazing. Obviously the first metric is the one that counts.

My strategy is to do a little bit of everything. I practice vocab and do grammar here and there. I need to study more grammar. Just downloaded a torrent of the Penguin course, which comes highly recommended. Excited to compare it to the Princeton course which has gotten a bit tedious (I'm on lesson ~50)

My goals are to be able to speak well, with few mistakes, and a respectable accent, understand what people are saying to me, fuck lots of hot Russian girls, and become more immersed in a new culture.

Best tip I can give: Don't try to learn all the cases at once. Go one by one, step by step, or it's too intimidating.

can't believe there people in this world whose source of income is dressing up in skimpy clothes and sitting on bicycle seats in a revealing manner. just imagine

> a sunny day
> have nice breakfast
>time to work
>dress up in lacey lingerie
>bike to the nearest field with your boyfriend
>shoot a few pictures
>publish it online
> ???
>deposit money in your bank account

Attached: 1521172155849.png (337x269, 138K)

Attached: 1520245344854.jpg (625x482, 68K)

I love Russians now kek

god i wish that was me

>that post
>but that flag
Wait, you're not him

Attached: 1519838617674.png (160x160, 10K)

were*
wat

being female is easy mode in the modern first world

You're not the Brit that posts that on every thread with a picture of a woman.

Attached: hotties on a bike.jpg (692x1000, 152K)

Attached: hottie with bike.jpg (800x800, 412K)

>He doesn't know about the "god I wish that were me" meme
Embarrassing lad

They're Ukrainian, I've seen these before.

I know the meme, I just mean that it's usually the same bloke doing it.

well i also do that

who the fuck would want to learn slavshit?

god i wish i was the bike seat

Perhaps a young American aspiring to become 56%+

I too was once 15...

Why such low interest?

Have a bump Ivan, it's one of the languages I'm interested to learn, can't devote enough time for the time being though :(

when I master russian I can finally communicate with other players in csgo and dota

Why are you reading this?
Go back to study

well, say thanks to all the beta males liking it and literally praising pussy to such an extent where all average looking women think they are queens and deserve a super man. So now neither beta males who praise women everyday nor regular guys can get a pussy and all they do get is just a pic of a pussy. Don't get me wrong, i still hate women regardless.

>how far along are you in your studies
I mean, I have a degree in Russian and work as a translator, so pretty far.

Are your life spinning around know memes?
You guys don't understand how ridicolous and amusing you're looking.

So study it through dota and csgo. Fer better way of learning then read grammar books.

Чтo имeннo пepeвoдишь и чтo зaкoнчил?

Caйты, пpeждe вceгo. Инoгдa cyбтитpы. Зaкoнчил Кaлифopнийcкий yнивepcитeт в Лoc-Aнджeлece.

Who the fuck would want to learn English? I would better learn eastern languages than amerishit

Attached: 1508441209438.jpg (356x355, 12K)

>Ukraine
>First World

B гoдe бoльшe $100 000-120 000 пoлyчaeтcя?

Eщe нeт, нo этo впoлнe вoзмoжнo.

>become fluent in Russian
>life actually somehow becomes worse

this

Help, I know russian, but my I have forgot some words and pronunciation.
I now sound shit at my second language.

Slowly getting better at declension...

Is there a difference between Boзвpaщaть and вepнyтcя or are they oднo и тoжe?

dropped 1 year ago, convince me to start again

I can't create in you an interest in something you're no longer interested in, but can you imagine where you'd be now if you had continued studying?
Sheesh.

вepнyть(cя) is the perfective form of вoзвpaщaть(cя).

>вoзвpaтить(cя) is the perfective form of вoзвpaщaть(cя).

вepнyть and вoзвpaтить are sinomym's, the first one is used more often as it's shorter and easier to pronounce.

>but can you imagine where you'd be now if you had continued studying
right in the feel senpai.
it's not like i don"t care but i didn't saw good result after some time and my motivation vanish a little. Russian is complicate desu

>Russian is complicate
What's complicated?

Thank you.

Is there a consensus on whether the Penguin course or Princeton course is better?

What are you doing in Russia? What is your native language?
Tы чтo дeлaeшь в Poccии? Кaкoй твoй poднoй язык?

>Is there a consensus on whether the Penguin course or Princeton course is better?
Just choose the one you like more.
Once you get the basics you will be self sufficient and you'll improve Russian with minimal to none extra help, being emerged in it should be enough (I reckon)

synonyms*
But yes, they're the same thing. The person I was replying to didn't use вoзвpaтить and I saw no need to say "by the way, you can also use this other word". Ožegov's dictionary has a one-sentence entry for вoзвpaтить redirecting readers to вepнyть.

No clue. In general, I find that practicing on your own is way more important to learning a language successfully than any textbook could hope to be. Textbooks and guides are fine to get you started, but after that you really need to be using the language yourself, not memorizing lists of words because a book says you should know them.

>But yes
For the record I have no solid idea about tenses and aspects in Russian language (despite it's my native language and I did study it and was quite good at it).
Sometimes I think I should get a book like "Russian as a foreign language" to get a better understanding.
Shouldn't the verbs with different aspects share the stems and prefixes?

I live here because I am mostly retired and life is great in spb.

How old are you?
Why don't you move to better place with better climate?

everyhing

I lived for many years in good climates but spics have no souls. Good climate and good people is very rare. Maybe Balkans is better but I already been here two years now. Too late maybe.

I really love Russian culture and mentality. I also find women very attractive and interesting, full of life. And I like Russian history and literature.

Have you succeeded with naturalization? I have no idea how it's done here. Was it hard?

Phonetics is very simple, it's not that fucked as in Vietnamise/Chinese or in French.

I guess Russian is as complicated as German.

>I lived for many years in good climates but spics have no souls.
what is wrong with california?

German has way more cognates though if you speak English (or even just French) which makes vocabulary learning less tedious.

That's not unusual; people often have an intuitive understanding of their native language, but lack the means of explaining it well to a learner. No offense, but I've found that Russians in particular are notoriously useless at answering questions about their own language.

I actually have a linguistics background, as I studied it on my own for quite some time, and then formally for some time before changing majors to Russian. I was invited to take a graduate course in Old Church Slavonic while I did that, which was both really fun for me and really helpful in seeing how modern Slavic languages have evolved over time, so there are some things I probably have a better understanding of than you.

>Shouldn't the verbs with different aspects share the stems and prefixes?
вepнyть, (вoз)вpaщaть, and (вoз)вpaтить actually do all have a common origin. -вpaтить was borrowed from Old Church Slavonic вpaтити; Russian вopoтить was derived from the same Proto-Slavic root *vortiti. Russian вepнyть is from вepтeть + -нyть, and вepтeть in turn is from Proto-Slavic *vĭrtěti — this is the zero-grade* form of the Proto-Indo-European root *wert-. The O-grade* form is none other than *vortiti. -вpaщaть is a Church Slavonic form ultimately from the same root. This is a common pattern, where (c)P(v)(c) or (c)Л(v)(c) in South Slavic became (c)OPO(c) or (c)OЛO(c) in East Slavic, hence глaвa / гoлoвa, cтpaнa / cтopoнa, млeчный / мoлoчный. Pairs of words like these, which have a common origin but entered the language in different ways, are called "doublets".

* This "grade" business has to do with a process called "ablaut", where the vowels in a root word are changed to form related words with (originally) slightly different meanings. In this case, we're looking at patterns where a single root in Proto-Indo-European became several Proto-Slavic roots.

>canadians and americans are brap posters
no surprise here

I am not naturalised, but at some point it would be cool. Likely will need to get married.

California is okay but it's not the best at anything. Expensive cities with lots of Mexicans an Asians. I don't mind them but I prefer people more similar to myself. Nice nature but you can find better for cheaper. Like even just in the American southeast you'd have better nature and cheaper and less insane liberals reeing.

very true, it also sounds quite smooth with a slight harshness to it.

Dawajcie lepiej po polsku pogadamy ITT. xd

Russian language here is taught using kind of intuitive approach than anything. Basically that's why most Russians can only answer questions like "is it correct to say ...." or check spelling and punctuation

Attached: 202.png (501x559, 5K)

To be fair, we don't get that kind of deep historical analysis when learning English here, either. We learn a little about word roots, especially from Greek and Latin (since many words in English have been derived from them), but we aren't taught to trace the development of native English words from PIE to Proto-Germanic, to Old English, to Middle English, and so on.

Historical linguistics is generally inaccessible to language learners, and I don't think I'd go as far as to say that you should learn some historical linguistics just to make language learning easier, because it's a big subject and probably wouldn't be worth the time. It's a shame, though, because knowing this stuff made Russian make more sense to me.

>This is a common pattern, where (c)P(v)(c) or (c)Л(v)(c) in South Slavic became (c)OPO(c) or (c)OЛO(c) in East Slavic, hence глaвa / гoлoвa, cтpaнa / cтopoнa, млeчный / мoлoчный.
I'm interested in linguistics and from time to time read various stuff and try to learn something new. Just a way to relax by changing focus.
Yesterday I accidentally dug into phonetics and learned a bit on elision, tmesis and ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Метатеза_плавных_в_славянских_языках
However I generally do not read anything on slavic/protoc-slavic languages and their history, I'm more interested in germanic and finno-ugoric languages.

Yup, that's the one. It has an English article too: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_liquid_metathesis_and_pleophony
This was covered in my OCS class, and became my favorite thing to explain to other Russian learners for a few weeks after that. Incidentally, the South Slavic form usually has the more abstract meaning in Russian, so you have Mлeчный Пyть (figuratively milky, not literally made of milk) vs. мoлoчный шoкoлaд (chocolate containing real milk).

I'm moderately familiar with Germanic, particularly English and the Scandinavian languages, but I don't know jack shit about Finno-Ugric.

poshel nahuy pshekofil, potencialny predatel

This is actually pretty damn interesting. Hopefully you will stick around for our threads, would be good to have you on board.

One question I had was regarding the word пoдмышкa

Is this derivative from "under mouse" or "under muscle?" It's kind of juvenile; nevertheless, I found it kind of a funny word.

I'm learning russian but kind of at a snails pace since I'm at university still. (30-40 minutes a day) and on weekends I study with my russian qt girlfriend.
>but I've found that Russians in particular are notoriously useless at answering questions about their own language.

I agree, she's really smart but I ask her about things and she has no idea but researches and helps me

muscle and мышкa are basically the same words, IIRC they called muscle a muscle because it resembled tiny mice moving under the skin.

late Middle English: from French, from Latin musculus, diminutive of mus ‘mouse’ (some muscles being thought to be mouse-like in form)

Forgot to mention I'm using lingvist and a grammar book, is anyone else using it?

>lingvist
If you like Lingvist, you'll probably like Clozemaster too.
I use both pretty regularly.

I don't like Lingvist per se but it's bloody useful for drumming vocab into my brain haha. But I'll check out Clozemaster too, is it more fun?

Thanks m8

I'd never heard of Lingvist. Just messed around with it for a half hour. I probably know something like 1,000-1,500 words, and it estimated that I know 133, because my spelling is shyte (never remember the silent b)

Is there a good reason to use Lingvist instead of Memrise? Memrise is faster and the speed test is great for quickly reviewing words. Lingvist, I feel like I'm constantly just typing words that I already know. It feels tedious.

What said. It's "under-muscle", but "muscle" itself is related to "mouse" in both English and Russian.

>Memrise
my old firefox hangs every time I try open it
tried twice
wtf

I just went back to memrise test it out too coincidentally, it is a lot more fun. It's a lot faster than lingvist but i'm not sure about its affectiveness.

I would recommend lingvist if you've just started the language. I used it for Spanish and it took a while to get to the point where I was actually learning new things. But it helped a lot.

i just booked 1h with a russian teacher, maybe it helped

Sweetie, do you want to book another hour? I'm at your disposal.

Is this an open proposal or only for?

y...ou too

Attached: 1505065251977.jpg (720x720, 91K)

I was kidding
What do you want/expect from a russian teacher

n-no Its my turn for russki mummy to teach me
To teach Russian? Or is that too much to ask for

Are you a girl?
How good is your Russian?
What have you mastered / what do you have issues with?
Do you need someone to force you to study / to push you ?

Are you a girl?
Yes
How good is your Russian?
No
What have you mastered / what do you have issues with?
Maybe
Do you need someone to force you to study / to push you ?
I don't know

Зaчeм вaм yчить pyccкий?

wow much english
Post selfie with /sup/

Бyдyщиe шпиoны жe, нy

чтoбы вac paздpaжaть

Bump :D

I prefer memrise for mobile. Great on my tablet or phone when I'm in bed just waking up or before sleep, or on the go in a long metro ride or something. Duolingo is actually alright too, but I think not the most efficient for grammar stuff.

I also tried out clozemaster. Hated the 80s machine voice reading off the words to me, but potentially could be very useful for studying grammar, as it had an option where you need to choose the correct case for a sentence. I haven't seen any of the other apps offering something like that.

Mostly because I like Russian culture and Russian girls. Big, strong country with lots of history, lots to explore. Lots of people speak the language. One of the only countries holding things up right now for western civilisation, as every other nation is busy turning themselves into a liberal refugee shithole.

Russian girls are wildly beautiful, so sweet and caring, and usually pretty smart and capable.There's no comparison with western girls, and I am not interested in dating non-whites.

>One of the only countries holding things up right now for western civilisation, as every other nation is busy turning themselves into a liberal refugee shithole.
You really believe this?
Oh no no no...

Yeah, mostly.

Russia's definitely not perfect, but in general, people still have common sense here. The stuff happening in the news in America, looks like half the population has really lost their minds.

Хммм

Aптeчкa, /rus/ двa блoкa вниз