I want to get into drawing western cartoons, but I'm not really sure where to start...

I want to get into drawing western cartoons, but I'm not really sure where to start. Do I just draw proportions and anatomy as badly as I can?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8VO-JQCy3HgZ0U3QkVvVm4wREE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You baiting mate?
Le4arn to draw realistically then study artists you like

Go to a community college anatomy drawing class. Learn to build up the form through basic shapes. Learn to render through observation and move away from static and stiff poses.

Cartoons still use the fundamentals of drawing that you would learn through what I just said.

Exacly. Go for it, you have potential.

fundamentals, always. There are some great free art books you can read online. I believe they're by andrew loomis. Just look up the name and you'll find them.

Yeah, I can do all that, but I don't really know how to ignore it enough to make western cartoons.

>Unironically reading loomis

I read loomis and it was shit. Sometimes I wonder where I'd be in my art career if I started with a good art book.

Just work at making your shapes simpler and more exaggerated.
You'll get the hang of it.

>Learn to build up the form through basic shapes. Learn to render through observation and move away from static and stiff poses
It's literally just this. Doing the hard work makes it second nature to draw imaginary forms but still retain the benefits of knowing what you're doing.

WHO THE FUCK SHOULD I START OFF WITH THEN

whats that from?

Master anatomy first, and then you can distort it properly in a stylized way to create cartoons.

I want to learn how to draw, which pdf from this drive should i begin with?
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8VO-JQCy3HgZ0U3QkVvVm4wREE

Hero of Rhyme.

I started with Proko. Look him up on YouTube. He's way good.

>then you can distort it properly in a stylized way
That's my problem. I don't know how to distort it.

Flow actually wasn't bad on this nigga, I'm surprised.

The rapper or the animation? Because either way, I agree.

Are you a professional with 15 years of experience? Or a young person learning how to do things?

If you're the latter, and you can't understand why you are unable to do something without practice and failure, then you have a learning disability.

Practice what? Did you not read what I posted?

what the fuck is he supposed to practice on though

ANATOMY.

POSES.

FUCK'S SAKE.

what the fuck is he supposed to read/watch up on to know anatomy though. he needs to know what to start off from

FUCK'S SAKE.

>going to college
be serious senpai

Again, did you not read my post? My anatomy and poses are fine, but they look too realistic. I'm doing portraits, not cartoons. That is the ENTIRE point of the thread.

post your drawings fampai

John K's blog and the Preston Blair book, enough said.

It's like this: If you have to ASK and don't already have the motivation or the drive to draw on your own, then you might as well never bother. Really.

Drawing for life you have to go outside and sketch up everything and anything you see, no matter how stupid or ugly it might seem. If you want to learn how to make art -- read: 'how to get five hundred likes on tumblr/deviantart/whatever per post' -- in a couple of days and in the comfort of your desk, you won't make it. You really will hate it.

Kek

Stop. Lommis is fine for learning to draw from imagination, it personally helped me a lot.

Honestly just learn and study the fundamentals, then study artist you like. It takes a lot of time and practice.

>learning from John K.

there;s absolutely nothing wrong with asking how to draw
people need assistance to know if they're doing everything correctly

He gives it to you for free, thats all that matters.

Gettin real tired of people missing the point of the thread.

>how to get raped

what book did you read from to learn how to draw

I took art lessons, so I learned from one on one rather than a vague book.

Visit /ic/ and you'll learn easily if you spend one minute looking at the very first post

Exaggerate and simplify the features you consider the most important, think in terms of basic shapes, etc.

>Yeah, I can do all that
Post your work

Asking how to draw is one thing, but asking how to GET INTO drawing in the first place is a different thing altogether and largely futile. Probably motivated from seeing popular artists on the web get flooded with comments/requests/questions/memes/etc. and wanting some of dat attention for themselves as well; as it ever happens on the internet.

The /ic/ sticky is cancer. It has some good stuff, but is mainly just used to jerk off Loomis.

>asking how to GET INTO drawing in the first place
Good thing nobody here did that.

There's nothing wrong with doing that though.
Forcing yourself to draw is how I got good.

>"I want to get into drawing western cartoons, but I'm not really sure where to start."

>Forcing yourself
>yourself
Thus, if you have to ask somebody else to do it for you, it's not 'forcing yourself' anymore.

So basically, take all the hard stuff and make it easy? (i.e. take a face from a big circle for the head, two little circles for the eyes and two squiggles for the nose and mouth)

Western cartoons. Not drawing in general. Learn 2 reading comprehension.

2epic

This disgusts me. Are all these done by the same artist, or is the majority of Western art that bland? (Good post, btw)

>Thus, if you have to ask somebody else to do it for you, it's not 'forcing yourself' anymore.
But no one in this thread is being forced to draw, he's just asking a question on HOW to draw something.

Yes basically, just draw with a lot less detail, if you want leaving out stuff like irises or even pupils, make bodies and faces follow more basic shapes like circles, rectangles, triangles, or whatever, until you find a style you like.

>the majority
That's 5 characters.

>Implying it gets much better

If you think that's too simple why not just make a cartoon in your normal style?

How good is learning from loomis from the point of view of a newfag of drawing?

>people falling for f/a/g bait

there are some pretty great reaction images in the first one

That's what I'm looking at. This thread has helped me get a better grip on cartoon vs realism, and I really do prefer more realistic designs. I'm just afraid of it becoming comic book tier art.

Right? And the sad part is that all you see is Sup Forums genuinely trying to be helpful.

Sometimes I remember that in comparison to other boards Sup Forums really is love.

this please
i want to get into art as well

>all you see is Sup Forums genuinely trying to be helpful.
See

"better" how? Better as in more different from those 5? Because it does.

CG is also an option. On the plus side, it's much easier to get into without needing a history of art. Plus, it's much, much more "learn as you go", because you can start to produce (shitty) stuff after some basic lesson and chisel your skill from there.

On the other hand, it's ridiculously time consuming, hard to get to look right, and you'll need to partner with someone who can draw reference images for you.

>CGI
>good
kill yourself

CGI can look good if the style and flow of the animation is good

Ehh. CG doesn't really appeal to me. I prefer flat dimensions.

CGI will never, and i repeat NEVER, be as good or impressive as traditional animation. It's shit and will always stay that way.

Maybe look into some Bruce Timm stuff, that might be about the level of balance you're looking for.

You don't ignore it, you stylize and exaggerate or subdue elements.

If you can build up a form through basic shapes then it's easy to exaggerate/subdue the form.
Loomis is fine.
Some people like to rec Keys to Drawing by Bergson instead.
Practice distortion. You know, that thing he was referring to in the post he replied to.

Lrn 2 reading comprehension.

If you don't understand "where to start..." Well, you might be retarded. You start by taking something and distorting it.

Draw a face accurately, then draw it distorted, simplified, exaggerated, ect.

This isn't rocket science.

The only way hand-drawn animation is viable without an entire studio of animators is to use digital puppetry, which generally looks much worse. It is, however, viable for a single person to produce decent-looking CGI if they're dedicated enough, because the workflow for longer animation is faster.

Otherwise, you could easily spend a year+ on a single minute of good-looking 2D animation.

The pay off for a good looking 2D animation is honestly far better than anything I have seen done in CG.

No, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Sadly, the best example I can come up with on the top of my head is Littlest Pet Shop. Maybe just without the blimp-sized heads. Teen Titans Go also has a pretty decent art style.

If there's a style that you're going for you could just try drawing in that style, figure out what aspects you like, and then incorporate that into your own style. Rinse and repeat until you have a style you like.

Well, practice drawing characters from those shows then. Then try and draw something else the same way

Hey OP, draw comics instead, that way you can do what you want without selling out to a company who destroys the thing you sunk so much time into.

>Teen Titans Go also has a pretty decent art style.
No it doesn't.

Thanks for the info. Will apply.

Yeah, I'd like to do a webcomic, but I just didn't want it to come off as me wanting to do a marvel kind of art style.

littlest pet shop has a shitty as fuck art style

>Has no problem with LPS
>But does with Teen Titans Go

No, YOU DO!

Animation is an inherently useless skill to learn. It's too labor intensive to produce anything substantial on your own. The only time you'll ever need it is if you somehow have the connections to end up as an animation director, to sketch out small flipbooks as references for the korean animators.

The day western cartoons gets over it's simplicity boner is the day they'll ascend.

So never?

They don't want to go through all the effort of doing hard work.

The day they do, it will be a political statement.
>mfw

Exactly, since there are barely 10 cartoons going at anytime.

>implying tough love isn't helpful
Exactly how coddled were you growing up

>People on Sup Forums can't give a guy a straight answer
>Still think they're being super helpful
loving every laugh.

Yeah, western cartoons should strive for a single digit framerate in order to accommodate your preference in over-designed characters. I know that's not representative of the whole, but I honestly would prefer simpler designs in order to have smoother motion and feel. Just having an after-effects gasm thrown on every other keyframe really pisses me off in modern anime.

Western art killed Pokémon.

Detailed animation > simpler animation
Western cartoons will always be inferior.

Jesus christ Sup Forums, is this like some sort of SNL bit

Please don't ever use Flip Flappers as an example of prime Japanese animation.