LOTR/Tolkien general

Where's the comfy weekend /lotr/ general? Get in here lads.

The Children of Húrin directed by Zack Snyder when?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fxfaQrS1KIs
youtu.be/iAz5QfH1uxg
youtube.com/watch?v=UrJTZZibdHk
youtu.be/FnDijVnaU_A
youtube.com/watch?v=XYS5W4jnAt8
youtube.com/watch?v=Cc6yzxcv0Ps
mcsweeneys.net/articles/unused-audio-commentary-by-howard-zinn-and-noam-chomsky-recorded-summer-2002-for-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-platinum-series-extended-edition-dvd-part-one
youtube.com/watch?v=69x810PHneM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Who is the best character in all of Tolkien and why Saruman?

Finrod. Dude had a music battle with Sauron and put a werewolf in the camel clutch.

Liam Neeson as Saruman in the remake

>tfw have this on repeat all day while doing stuff around the house

youtube.com/watch?v=fxfaQrS1KIs

But we haven't even got to Silmarillion yet.

>Fly you fools
Obviously a foreshadowing that they should've gone and met with the eagles, but they were too stupid to find the meeting place.

>The Children of Húrin directed by Zack Snyder when?
oh wow may Eru have mercy for your sins

Oh fuck right off will you? Seriously, rot in a hole. People like you make me sick. CoH directed by Snyder? Clearly you aren't a real fan of Tolkien because you'd know that Tolkien shouldn't be put on film.

Source: reader of The Hobbit, LotR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales.

>THERE'S NO TIME

what did he mean by this

>be Dark Overlord of Middle-Earth with flying magical servants
>have your minions steal black horses from humans because you dig the goth look
‘Some years ago the Lord of the Black Land wished to purchase horses of us at great price, but we refused him. for he puts beasts to evil use. Then he sent plundering Orcs, and they carry off what they can, choosing always the black horses: few of these are now left. For that reason our feud with the Orcs is bitter.

I think it's a Jojo reference.

does gandalf ever die?

Isn't the ring of Barahir originally his? Galadriels brother right?

In his wizard form they lose their bodies and are sent back to Valinor. I think Sarumans spirit most likely wandered the dark parts of Middle Earth in shame for many years though

youtu.be/iAz5QfH1uxg
>that last minute
Howard you fucking genius

Yes

why does lotr music make me cry

Feanor. You can't argue with this.

Saruman was indeed not allowed back to Valinor. At the end of Tlotr, when he was killed his spirit rose and looked west, toward Valinor. But a gust came and blew his spirit away.
Manwë literally BTFO'ing Saruman.

youtube.com/watch?v=UrJTZZibdHk

Threadtheme

What was Hurin's tax policy?

Well it's making me cry now because I had a terrible week at work, spent all night watching the trilogy

Fall of Gondolin by Tarsem Singh

Fingolfin > Fëanor.
Who else in the entire history of Arda has the balls to challenge Morgoth to a 1v1, and then actually manage to wound him 7 times.
Absolute madman.

Jackson fucked up the aesthetic tbqhwyfam
>dude everything is grey and brown lmao

REMOVE THE LINE OF FEANOR

OR WHAT I LIKE TO CALL IT, GAYANOR LMAO

Based God of the winds and sky

When you're reading The Silmarillion, what music do you like to listen to lads? Me, it's gotta be Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds soundtrack. Don't know why but the music (although Sci-Fi) fits well with the vibe of the story. Especially this track youtu.be/FnDijVnaU_A

I don't think Jackson did too bad on that front for the most part, but his portrayal of the Pellenor fields is inexcusable.

>ywn see a Turin and Beleg buddy up adventure movie

Also who wins 1v1 Beleg or Legolas?

That dwarven war mask looks like tree nigger shit.

Show us your illustrations then.

t.Fingolfin the cuck

Why are you saying that as if you drew the image in your post?

>flashback of the battle of unnumbered tears like the war of the last alliance in fellowship
>hurin atop a pile of corpses shouting ''aure entuluva!'' before being dragged into angband
Kino

Don't forget to complain about a hypothetical modern version with diverse casting and marvel at how it's a miracle the trilogy got made, fellow redpill bros!!! xD

STOP TRYING TO MAKE LOTR GENERALS, LOTR THREADS ARE COMFY BECAUSE THEY ARE SPONTANEOUS

youtube.com/watch?v=XYS5W4jnAt8
Underrated soundtrack
also
>0:15 bakana

I didn't but I'm not the one critiquing other people's work and not backing it up with my own. Basically don't be a douche about something if you can't do any better. Dickhead.

This dude slew like 70 hill trolls with just an axe. Was he the greatest mortal warrior?

>you aren't allowed to criticize things you can't do better
what an absolutely retarded and childish thing to say

what did they mean by this?

What the fuck are you even saying? Speak English nigga.

We gotta get the Beren and Luhtien romcom out of the way first.

when it comes to art, of course you can't. Especially if you're acting like a prick and can't back up your criticisms. That's the problem with the younger generation these days, all you do is complain, you don't actually try to make things better. It's why society is in this sorry state these days

fucking A user
these few pages when Fingolfin go full berserk riding to duel Melkor himself are the most epic in the whole cannon imo. Feanor never reached such a high peak of pure tragic heroism.

only one complaining and being a prick here is you tBh

>Anything Tolkien done by Zack Snyder
This is my worst nightmare.

That's just fucking stupid.

Nigga, my criticism of the picture was that a helmet looked Elfish for a Dwarven piece of gear. Calm the fuck down.

Chomsky: didn't read the book famalam

Zinn: This map made with the equivalent of 1100 European tech isn't very detailed or accurate at depicting things far away from it's creators

Meant to respond to this

I like listening to Led Zeppelin. I like the songs that reference Tolkien, Vikings, and the other fantasy songs like Kashmir.

I'm pretty sure the elves did change things on the helm to fit to Turin better.

Cool, cool. I like listening to the Led as well reading LoTR. Also Ralph Bakshis LoTR soundtrack as well

chills

the lost realm is literally arnor, gondors northern equivalent. so it was lost to men, you know, the ones that made the map, the ones who lost it.

the northern waste, as in the northern wasteland, as in that land in the north where no one lives and barely anything grows, not as in something that was wasted you cretin

holy fuck did these retards even read the fucking book

>The Children of Húrin
Dear god yes
>directed by Zack Snyder when?
Dear god no

Deconstructionism is cancer.

Seeing as it was too massive and heavy for dwarfs or even elves to wear it, I see no reason why it would look Dwarvish in design. Only Turin had the strength to wear such a thing into battle. Just goes to show you how badass and much stronger the first age men were compared to other races.

It was Dwarvish in design but it passed through many Elvish lords before coming to Turins forebears. But it definitely could have undergone some changes and tinkering to suit the wearer at the time. Most likely ended up looking more elvish than anything else.

the GOAT

youtube.com/watch?v=Cc6yzxcv0Ps

Was Hurin the man who shouted "The sun shall rise again!" every time he slew an orc before eventually being overwhelmed?

>Last of all Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed; and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered, and each time that he slew Húrin cried 'Aurë entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive...

Jesus fuck I love those books so much.

>manlets

Will they ever learn?

Why wasn't he invisible?

Because he had power over both worlds. Also he was the master of the ring

Did nobody in Gondor or Rohan think to capture some trolls and use them for manual labour or engineering tasks? They could have used them for loads of things in the absence of any kind of industrial machinery. Surely they could have tamed or domesticated a few.

>Then Fingolfin beheld (as it seemed to him) the utter ruin of the Noldor, and the defeat beyond redress of all their houses; and filled with wrath and despair he mounted Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking Oromë himself was come; for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.

What was ungoliant? A corrupted Maia? I mean she must have been created for a purpose. If not by Morgoth then who?

He's trying to preempt the butthurt that would predictably arise if holywood made everyone a nigger, like the good drone he is

In that vast shadow once of yore
Fingolfin stood: his shield he bore
with field of heaven's blue and star
of crystal shining pale afar.
In overmastering wrath and hate
desperate he smote upon that gate,
the Gnomish king, there standing lone,
while endless fortresses of stone
engulfed the thin clear ringing keen
of silver horn on baldric green.
His hopeless challenge dauntless cried
Fingolfin there: 'Come, open wide,
dark king, you ghatsly brazen doors!
Come forth, whom earth and heaven abhors!
Come forth, O monstruous craven lord,
and fight with thine own hand and sword,
thou wielder of hosts of banded thralls,
thou tyrant leaguered with strong walls,
thou foe of Gods and elvish race!
I wait thee here. Come! Show thy face!'

Then Morgoth came. For the last time
in those great wars he dared to climb
from subterranean throne profound,
the rumour of his feet a sound
of rumbling earthquake underground.
Black-armoured, towering, iron-crowned
he issued forth; his mighty shield
a vast unblazoned sable field
with shadow like a thundercloud;
and o'er the gleaming king it bowed,
as huge aloft like mace he hurled
that hammer of the underworld,
Grond. Clanging to ground it tumbled
down like a thunder-bolt, and crumbled
the rocks beneath it; smoke up-started,
a pit yawned, and a fire darted.

Fingolfin like a shooting light
beneath a cloud, a stab of white,
sprang then aside, and Ringil drew
like ice that gleameth cold and blue,
his sword devised of elvish skill
to pierce the flesh with deadly chill.
With seven wounds it rent his foe,
and seven mighty cries of woe
rang in the mountains, and the earth quook,
and Angband's trembling armies shook.

I dont want any Tolkien movie made in these dark days

Yet Orcs would after laughing tell
of the duel at the gates of hell;
though elvish song thereof was made
ere this but one - when sad was laid
the mighty king in barrow high
and Thorndor, Eagle of the sky,
the dreadful tidings brought and told
to mourning Elfinesse of old.
Thrice was Fingolfin with great blows
to his knees beaten, thrice he rose
still leaping up beneath the cloud
aloft to hold star-shining, proud,
his stricken shield, his sundered helm,
that dark nor might could overwhelm
till all the earth was burst and rent
in pits about him. He was spent.
His feet stumbled. He fell to wreck
upon the ground, and on his neck
a foot like rooted hills was set,
and he was crushed - not conquered yet;
one last despairing stroke he gave:
the mighty foot pale Ringil clave
about the heel, and black the blood
gushed as from smoking fount in flood.

Halt goes for ever from that stroke
great Morgoth; but the king he broke,
and would have hewn and mangled thrown
to wolves devouring. Lo! from throne
that Manwë bade him build on high,
on peak unscaled beneath the sky,
Morgoth to watch, now down there swooped
Thorndor the King of Eagles, stooped,
and rending beak of gold he smote
in Bauglir's face, then up did float
on pinions thirty fathoms wide
bearing away, though loud they cried,
the mighty corse, the elven-king;
and where the mountains make a ring
far to the south about that plain
where after Gondolin did reign,
embattled city, at great height
upon a dizzy snowcap white
in mounded cairn the mighty dead
he laid upon the mountain's head.
Never Orc nor demon after dared
that pass to climb, o'er which they stared
Fingolfin's high and holy tomb,
till Gondolin's appointed doom.

I think she was a byproduct of Morgoth's discord, much like how Tom Bombadil was a by-product of the the Ainur's music. She was an essence of chaos, and Tom was an essence of creation.

Whenever you spend time creating something, inevitably something unintentional will be created as well. If you're trying to write a musical album, you're going to write a few songs that don't fit into the rest, but they are complete by themselves. I think it's something like that.

lol pls tell me this is real

Ok, makes sense. I kinda like that though. Beings being from some mysterious parts of the world and even the so called gods not knowing where they came from. Gives her and Tom an intriguing aura that the other beings don't have.

>CHOMSKY: And here comes Bilbo Baggins. Now, this is, to my mind, where the story begins to reveal its deeper truths. In the books we learn that Saruman was spying on Gandalf for years. And he wondered why Gandalf was traveling so incessantly to the Shire. As Tolkien later establishes, the Shire’s surfeit of pipe-weed is one of the major reasons for Gandalf’s continued visits.

>ZINN: You view the conflict as being primarily about pipe-weed, do you not?

>CHOMSKY: Well, what we see here, in Hobbiton, farmers tilling crops. The thing to remember is that the crop they are tilling is, in fact, pipe-weed, an addictive drug transported and sold throughout Middle Earth for great profit.

>ZINN: This is absolutely established in the books. Pipe-weed is something all the Hobbits abuse. Gandalf is smoking it constantly. You are correct when you point out that Middle Earth depends on pipe-weed in some crucial sense, but I think you may be overstating its importance. Clearly the war is not based only on the Shire’s pipe-weed. Rohan and Gondor’s unceasing hunger for war is a larger culprit, I would say.

>CHOMSKY: But without the pipe-weed, Middle Earth would fall apart. Saruman is trying to break up Gandalf’s pipe-weed ring. He’s trying to divert it.

>ZINN: Well, you know, it would be manifestly difficult to believe in magic rings unless everyone was high on pipe-weed. So it is in Gandalf’s interest to keep Middle Earth hooked.

>CHOMSKY: How do you think these wizards build gigantic towers and mighty fortresses? Where do they get the money? Keep in mind that I do not especially regard anyone, Saruman included, as an agent for progressivism. But obviously the pipe-weed operation that exists is the dominant influence in Middle Earth. It’s not some ludicrous magical ring.

This has to be a joke. Nobody is this stupid.

That's fucking gold

>Chomsky
>not capable of extreme stupidity

Pol Pot did nothing wrong lol

>ZINN: You’ve spoken to me before about Mordor’s lack of access to the mineral wealth that the Dwarves control.

>CHOMSKY: If we’re going to get into the socio-economic reasons why certain structures develop in certain cultures… it’s mainly geographical. We have Orcs in Mordor — trapped, with no mineral resources — hemmed in by the Ash Mountains, where the “free peoples” of Middle Earth can put a city, like Osgiliath, and effectively keep the border closed.

>ZINN: Don’t forget the Black Gate. The Black Gate, which, as Tolkien points out, was built by Gondor. And now we jump to the Orcs chopping down the trees in Isengard.

>CHOMSKY: A terrible thing the Orcs do here, isn’t it? They destroy nature. But again, what have we seen, time and time again?

>ZINN: The Orcs have no resources. They’re desperate.

>CHOMSKY: Desperate people driven to do desperate things.

>ZINN: Desperate to compete with the economic powerhouses of Rohan and Gondor.

>CHOMSKY: Who really knows their motive? Maybe this is a means to an end. And while that might not be the best philosophy in the world, it makes the race of Man in no way superior. They’re going to great lengths to hold onto their power. Two cultures locked in conflict over power, with one culture clearly suffering a great deal. I think sharing power and resources would have been the wisest approach, but Rohan and Gondor have shown no interest in doing so. Sometimes, revolution must be —

>ZINN: Mistakes are often —

>CHOMSKY: Blood must be shed. I forget what Thomas Jefferson —

>ZINN: He said that blood was the —

>CHOMSKY: The blood of tyrants —

>ZINN: The blood of tyrants —

>CHOMSKY: — waters the tree of —

>ZINN: — revolution.

>CHOMSKY: — freedom. Or revolution. Something like that.

>ZINN: I think that’s actually very, very close.

You can thank Alan Lee for that, and there's nothing wrong the aesthetic of the films, or at least Fellowship

The oldest source I can find on this is from 2003, on a humor website called McSweeney's.

mcsweeneys.net/articles/unused-audio-commentary-by-howard-zinn-and-noam-chomsky-recorded-summer-2002-for-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-platinum-series-extended-edition-dvd-part-one

I have a suspicion this is a joke.

Does this dude expect a map explain its history him?

of course its a joke

its still hilarious to read

Well yeah. I was just trying to diffuse the implied truth of it before we get a stupid political discussion going on my comfy LOTR thread.

>youtube.com/watch?v=69x810PHneM

>listens to music whilst reading

ISHYGDDT

>tfw have this on while sipping vodka and lurking in comfy lotr thread

i thought it was something about enhancing the natural ability the race has, as hobbits were supposed to be sneaky fucks they became invisible.

Based Bromsky would never diss LOTR. Are you faggots for real?

We are kindred spirits user... no homo

I've actually started to write a script in my free time for a Silmarillion-trilogy. I wish I would be able to shot those films with a crew as enthusiastic as the lotr crew.
I know there is zero chance for that thogh.