So is the horror movie genre dead?

So is the horror movie genre dead?
>jump scares
>copious amount of CGI's
>cliche plots
>horrific acting
>funny moments
I'm also not just referring to IT, but anything that has come out in the last 10 years have sucked.

Yes. It's cheap to make, and there will always be people paying to see it.

Depends on what you mean by dead.
Money wise? No, horror films are arguably the most profitable movies out there right now.

The Horror genre has been dead for quite some time now.

There are RARE movies in the genre that are passable, but by and large, it's deader than dead.

What I'm trying to say is this: Is it possible to make a horror movie good without relying on what has already been done? I'm sure that's near impossible especially because it's 2017 and everything has been done before.

>anything that has come out in the last 10 years have sucked.
What a shitty opinion
Original Halloween isn't even good by the way

I'd say that The VVitch was good (not the best, but good) and pretty innovative. It's rare, but it can still happen.

>shitty opinion
>opinion
Well thank fuck it's what I believe and not you, right? And by the-fucking-way, Halloween was AMAZING for it's time and is a good cozy movie to watch, especially on chilly October day. So fuck you and YOUR shitty opinion.

>I'm also not just referring to IT, but anything that has come out in the last 10 years have sucked.
It Follows is great.

This is the current state of Sup Forums ladies and gentlemen.

1. Original Halloween is garbage that people are afraid to rightfully bash

2. The VVitch proved that horror is still alive.

Lol don't you feel special

Please explain how it's garbage.

this one scene is superior to the entire "VVitch" crapshow

>especially on chilly October day
got any more of those?

cliche question with a cliche answer: nobody is trying anything new or innovative

>The Ring
>The Blair Witch Project
>IT
>Alien

bunch of stuff that worked in the past and is getting milked for cash now, just like freddy and jason were a few years ago.

we're bound to have an influx of new horror monsters, alien planets and cave divers and shit sooner or later. but right now studios are putting all of their money into big budget spectacles to sell worldwide rather than variety/novel concepts which sell less but cast a wider net in terms of ideas. it's honestly just another thing normies have ruined, like the rest of geek culture. keep going to see nostalgia shit.

Are there extra tight environmental rules that keep movie makers from using fake blood, goo, and other practical effects? Or is it just because it is faster and cheaper?

Probably faster and cheaper. But I've seen low budget movies use LOTS of gore and fake blood. I don't get why directors have to rush movies. If you take your time and just chill, you can make a good ass movie.

All about the money, not even an art anymore.

Horror goes through down times. It was very dead in the 90's due to oversaturation of bad sequels. You had a few diamonds in the rough like Jacob's Ladder, Scream and Candyman, but that's it. The 2000's revitalized the genre and had plenty of good horror flicks. I think this is like the 90's all over again in a way. Maybe IT will be like Scream and we'll see a bunch of mediocre rip offs.

>Is it possible to make a horror movie good without relying on what has already been done?
Is it possible to make any genre of movie good without relying on what has already been done?

Recent horror films that use practical effects AND dont abuse cgi?¿

>Is it possible to make [ANYTHING] good without relying on what has already been done?

No dumb dumb

This. How am I supposed to care about such an ugly lead actress?

My advice it to look outside the horror genre, to find films that are more "unsettling" than "horrific". Micheal Haneke's film "The Seventh Continent" is a prime example. Watch the movie without knowing anything about it in the first place. Its pretty disturbing and unnerving. Especially the final shots because it seems to say to the movie-viewer that they are in a situation little different than the characters themselves.

But some good horror is overlooked. Have you tried Kurosawa's "Cure", and "Kairo"? Also the Spanish films "Sequestrados", and "REC 1" and "REC 2".

Don't listen to this trolling homo, I love The VVitch and Halloween.

>It Follows
>Babadook

What else is worth watching?

THAT is supposed to the good scene in Halloween?
I'd argue that the most powerful one came much earlier than this.

>total shot of the neighbour's house
Darkness, few lights, you see some strange man walking in and out of that house.

>IT
The original was never good and the new one is incredibly cliche with 2 hours of jumpscares, half of which you won't even remember after leaving the theater.

If anything I'd say horror films are getting better recently.

See
And

The vvitch
The void
We're still here
10 Cloverfield lane
Lights out
Get out
Baskin
Split
Ouija 2(ignore the first)