Student/Short Film General

ITT: we post awful student/amateur films (doesn't necessarily need to be yours, just shitty ones you found work fine) and pick apart just what makes them so bad, so that we can try to do better in the future.

What better way to kick off a shitty homemade shorts thread than with my own?

youtu.be/K-XIm_r6EQs

This is one I parrot a lot around here because it was my first college project and I really wanted to do something ambitious.

>nothing about the bag at the beginning is explained
>Russian homeless man out of nowhere
>ending(s) ripped directly from Clue
>What the fuck is that sound
>What the fuck is that lighting
>"Start Walking"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtu.be/PXTyVZ7Wal0
youtube.com/watch?v=-_wxjyOe1SI
youtube.com/watch?v=c8qAA9WcXME
youtube.com/watch?v=azq12_GhrVw
youtube.com/watch?v=64jt-Mmkmnw
youtube.com/watch?v=ROMCr5vg4bQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4TQSeOVfGv4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eY_e09nGRFA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First offense: Black and white except for one color.

youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k

That's a huge cliche for bad student films, but I haven't seen many shitty shorts that are black and white. Most of the time they just don't bother with grading it at all and hope their special snowflake shots of sunlight filtering through trees makes up for it.

Fuck yourself with a rake.

this shot made it worthwhile

That was one of the shots I was most proud of. In fact, considering all the light we had was either natural or from a single flashlight one of the dudes brought it's a miracle most of the shots turned out as well as they did.

Making this thread I wasn't aware of how hard it was to actually find bad shorts if you're not already aware of them, since most people don't like admitting their shorts are bad.

I'll just post my latest, which was shot on a whim with an iPhone 7 and a selfie stick, then be on my way. Please, rip it apart so I know what I can do better.

youtu.be/PXTyVZ7Wal0

Why do people release shit like this? I can understand the lighting and other aspects that one learns to do better with practice but whats with the shitty audio gaps.

Why was the 1:56 audible "camera" left in? Okay so it was for a class ran out of time to edit it, but why would you post that version on YT? Why not just edit it out and work on the other aspects like the sound design before sharing it?

Is it laziness? It can't be pure incompetence because again, how do you look at that work and say "yeah that's fine I don't need to fix it before sharing my work"

>only three minutes long
That's it? That's all they expect out of you in college classes nowadays?

Originally that was supposed to just be a rough cut and I was gonna fix up the sound later, but then I got lazy. Plus, I attempted bringing people in for ADR for the first time and it literally made me fucking cry.

Thank you though, I appreciate that.

It was a "digital storytelling" class, meaning they just wanted you to prove you could develop a story from beginning to end then make something out of it.

What was so hard about the ADR?

am i supposed to know what ADR stands for

That video has no redeeming qualities; there isn't really any ground for improvements to be made.

>unironic fedora tip

I didn't slate properly, or have even close to the right equipment, actors couldn't hear their lines to properly dub over them, and this fat girl kept bothering us while we were working. Really just a combination of incredibly poor decisions.

Automated Dialogue Replacement, dubbing over your lines because the on-board mics on cameras are universally trash.

>no redeeming qualities
Alright list the bad ones then

Gimme something to work with, damn.

Dubbing you fucking nimwit

give up

Damn you right

Not sure if these count as short films.
youtube.com/watch?v=-_wxjyOe1SI
youtube.com/watch?v=c8qAA9WcXME
youtube.com/watch?v=azq12_GhrVw
The final entry in the Plank saga.
youtube.com/watch?v=64jt-Mmkmnw

Still better than Alien girl's acting

These are cinematic masterpieces what the fuck are you talking about

>caring about lengthlet films

(if this poster is the one who actually shot this video)
>You're a non-european and a non-jew.
>You not only went through the trouble of cobbling together this worthless footage, but also had the idotic idea of posting it on Sup Forums. Based on that, I would assume you have very low self awareness if any at all, which imo is the most important aspect of doing anything creative i.e. being able to naturally tell when something's shit or when something's good and worth sharing.
The time you spend dreaming up a film career without any discernable talent is time you should be spending on concrete self improvement.

>lengthlet
Incredible.

Attack the video, not me.

You're actually completely correct though.

I post all my shit on Sup Forums because I want to track my own progress and build as a filmmaker by learning what I'm doing wrong as I go. Critique is healthy, and I thrive off it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ROMCr5vg4bQ

This one builds suspense and has decent low budget cinematography but blows it at the end with an abrupt and random yet still cliche twist.

youtube.com/watch?v=4TQSeOVfGv4

They actually did some pretty clever stuff in there. The twist at the end was retarded, yeah, and the wide shot of her and the van was annoyingly out of focus, but I dug how they did phones in this.

Not even joking those opening credits (pretentious as they are) are aesthetic as all hell.

ITT: post kino amateur short films
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eY_e09nGRFA

What in the fuck was that

>critique is healthy, and I thrive off it

What? It's good to have people tell you what's bad about your work.

>posting your name on Sup Forums

But... it's correct?

THe only people who shun critique tend to be butthurt tards, who have significant overlap with sjws.

Yeah but it makes you sound like a loser when you say out loud

Early 2000s humor