Valiant

Anybody else read Valiant?

What are your favourite titles? I like Harbinger, Imperium, Ivar, Archer & Armstrong and Wrath of The Eternal Warrior the most.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbooked.com/valiant-efforts-part-1/
valiantcomics.com/
valiantarchive.com/valiant/valiantdays.php
reddit.com/r/valiant/wiki/readingorder
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I follow all but Faith. Bloodshot and Rai are the ones I buy.
And I want to see the TV series so hard.

Same as the other guy I follow everything but Faith.

Its a real shame nobody cares about any of the titles on Sup Forums since its so consistently high quality. Ive never seen such a high concentration of quality in a publisher since the original Valiant,

I really want a return of the classic Magnus though

>The Matrix totally didn't rip off this design

>I really want a return of the classic Magnus though
Copyright issues, user. Just like Turok, which hasn't been reprinted ;_;

Also I'm posting this because I thought it was funny and the I think the girl looked cute in the first panel

they don't have the rights to magnus sadly, but maybe we will get some kind of stand-in character? they gave him a shout-out in ivar

do you guys like A&A? I ended up dropping it for now because it seems like he didn't even read the Van Lente run properly. I might pick it back up if I hear it's gotten good.

I started buying the trades when they just started out, but then I got into money troubles and I kind of lost touch. I read up to Harbinger wars. I liked it that far, I was actually surprised at how Bloodshot was my favorite, while I usually don't even like that kind of thing. Not as good as the original start though.

Don't forget about Solar!

It's not as good as Van Lente but still entertaining.

>Don't forget about Solar!
Oh shit. I wonder what kind of rights imbroglio are they in?

Might as well read it online if you're not too sure.

I personally don't think the quality is as high as the other run but its starting to pick up a bit. I'm on the fence about it.

Hah I didn't catch that and I recently re-read all of the original series

>Don't forget about Solar!
they didnt

I think modern Valiant should have given Jim Shooter a honorary position; he created it, for fuck's sake!

It's Solar but under a different name? Now I like this mini even more.

basically all 3 properties (magnus, turok, solar) were purchased by jim shooter when he started valiant. they are actually from an old publisher called Gold Key. When acclaim purchased valiant in about 2000 and tanked the company the rights reverted back to the owners of Gold Key because Valiant and Acclaim didn't publish anything with the characters for about a decade, so I think Dynamite now owns all three characters.

yeah it was Dynamite, they did this series recently and all three characters had a solo two or so years ago (magnus was written by Fred Van Lente, the guy who did Archer & Armstrong and Ivar, Timewalker, it was actually really good)

So it's up to Dynamite to reprint those Valiant runs? Well, they better do it soon.

i just really hate that he has basically ignored all the stuff about archer becoming a messianic figure, and the fact that he has basically retconned archer getting all those psiot powers.

>it was actually really good
Confirmed.

It would have to be a joint effort and I don't think Valiant wants to help Dynamite at all, if anything they're probably hoping that the Gold Key series fail so they can repurchase the rights.

Oh, I didn't know about that. That's how out of touch I am. Maybe I'll pick up someday where I left off (more or less at the beginning), try to find some of those big collections for a decent price.

honestly you could read it standalone and not really miss out on anything important. Most of the story is completely self contained.

Yeah that part really bugged me as well. Archer is basically a regular joe now when he was very clearly from the very beginning someone with superpowers with the ability to gain more superpowers. I wonder if someone could ask the Rafer Roberts about it. Maybe he only read the original comic and saw Archer as some guy who was supernaturally accurate shooting a crossbow with some martial arts mixed in.

>I don't think Valiant wants to help Dynamite at all
Bad mistake.

I dig it. I enjoyed AA, but I'm actually searching for some of the older stuff now. I read the first vol of Unity, and it was great.

The current run on Bloodshot is an enjoyable and fun romp. I didn't think it'd be possible to make the character appealing, but they managed it.

is it though? they are putting out a lot of merchandise for bloodshot and x-o manowar, they have movies in development for x-o, bloodshot and harbinger. they are really doing very well with the properties they have and i don't think they have any reason to be interested in some sort of co-ownership deal for the gold key characters.

read the Dysart Harbinger saga, it's by far the best thing they have published. you won't regret it

Well, a good reason is keeping Valiant readers happy. Besides, in these days when the Big Two are outsourcing reprints to indies that gesture sounds arrogant.

maybe they would talk if it wasn't dynamite, but dynamite has a long history of snatching up IPs and then churning out shit comics

I have read EXACTLY two issues of harbringer, plus an issue or two of faith, and they seemed passable, like the x men under clairmont on a decent week, but nothing that I felt the need to pursue more of.

That's Robot battler magnus if I remember?

That tunic is just begging for a massive upskirt shot.

I would ask the drawfags if I cared enough, but, as you can see, I'm a lazy motherfucker.

Are you willing to buy the first four issues of Harbinger Renegade physically for the Harbinger Wars 2 #0?

harbinger gets really really fucking good as it goes on

True, although sometimes we get gems like Captain Victory or Project Superpowers.

fuck no, just going to pirate it.

>see Valiant thread on tablet
>alt+F4 from EU4 to discuss comics with Valiantbros
I read and buy everything but Faith. I'll probably buy trade sooner or later, I've read it online and it didn't trigger me much so what the hell.
Peter's Harbinger will be big no from me, though.
People could say and probably be correct that Divinity is stand-in for Solar and that kid, forgot name, Savage? He's Turok. Wonder who'll be Magnus. War Mother?

I'm not big fan of that circus story. I wouldn't mind reading more about purse warlock and his trusty aquarian sidekick.

Wouldn't mind a Savage by Tim Truman, but something tells me Valiant prefers not to dwell on the past.

At least comics would run on time.

True, true. Which is funny, when you read how current Valiant came to be. Pure nostalgia.

i think i read somewhere that they did actually hire jim shooter originally, but he ended up having a strop about something and leaving

A mix of Gold Key, but also Marvel?
X-O Manowar - Iron Man
Bloodshot - Punisher + Deadpool
Armstrong - Hercules

Just rewatched the Ninjak vs. Valiant Universe. Is it me, or A&A look like Tintin and Haddock? Which is great

Hmph. I loved his Marvel administration, but something tells me he hates not being in charge.

And on the other hand, they did give Priest Q2.
This is when I discovered Priest, funny enough. Of course, I knew he wrote best Black Panther ever and bunch of other comics, but I never read it. Then I started Q2, wondered for awhile where the hell is story going and how will it get resolved... then all puzzle pieces fell in their place and it all made sense. True artist, Priest.

Surely they considered Q&W had the biggest fanbase?
>I knew he wrote best Black Panther ever and bunch of other comics, but I never read it
He wrote it like Q&A, on Marvel's request.

That's actually pretty spot-on observation. Only, Valiant's Haddock is immortal and Tintin isn't journalist.
>about administration
Say what you want, but if it was up to Jim, Jean wouldn't play get up from the grave every three weeks.

they did kind of fuck him over a bit with q2 though, he wrote a book where he said that the artist kept ignoring all his instructions and the editors were too busy going to comic conventions to sort out the problems

>Q&W
Fixed, sorry.

Yeah, but look at Armstrong's face. Give him a pipe and you have Haddock!
>if it was up to Jim, Jean wouldn't play get up from the grave every three weeks.
That's why I loved it, among other reasons.

Ivar - good Kang
Faith - whoever is fangirl at Marvel
Generation Zero - muggas without mandatory genocide every Tuesday status quo
Harada - Magneto with big bucks
HARD Corps - OMAC?

I think that's a bit far-fetched. Every new superhero could be related to something similar, it's bound to happen because of the sheer number of superheroes around through the years. In fact, I'd say some of them were more different than anything that had come in the 20 years before them.

X-O Manowar was an actual time-displaced barbarian, wielding the most technologically advanced weapon on the planet. In the beginning, he could hardly communicate with the people around him. Magnus and Rai were full-on space-opera, there hadn't been something like that in superhero comics for years.

>the artist kept ignoring all his instructions and the editors were too busy going to comic conventions to sort out the problems
Sounds like the same problem Shooter had when he returned to LoSH.

Good list.
>OMAC?
Mmmmaybe the Infinite Crisis ones?

To be frank, I only read some bits of 90s Valiant. Ostrander's Eternal Warrior was a bore, and those digitals they released aren't digital at all.

Yeah, on the other hand, if it wasn't up to Jim, she wouldn't have died in the first place.

I haven't read too much but I liked the first Death-Defying Doctor Mirage a lot. The second wasn't as good, but as a book/team it fills a niche that is really under-represented in other Supers stuff. Very few husband/wife or romantic duos around now, especially with the F4 gone.

The digital version of Harbinger Wars 2 #0 will only be available in the digital version of the deluxe hardcover (unlike Book of Death: Legends of the Geomancer).

Oh, also I picked up War Mother and Britannia because I liked the pitches but I found both underwhelming.

It was only perfect for a short while. After they made it big with the original Unity event they slowly became a lot like the other companies at the time, edgy characters, shiny covers, big problems behind the scenes, severe lack of Shooter...

the stuff that people rave about is everything up to the end of the unity event. after that it's fairly hit and miss. it was really crazy how everything all came together in unity.

>severe lack of Shooter...
Yeah, I read his blog. They fucked him well.

legends of the geomancer was scanned tho

By the way, does Acclaim count as Valiant?

After he was fired, Shooter founded a few more companies but all of them failed. He was hired the first EiC of the renewed Valiant but was kicked out some time later because of "breach of contract".

yeah but pretty much everything except Q&W is shit, Acclaim valiant was basically an IP farm for videogames

>Very few husband/wife or romantic duos around now
Preach. Romantic duos that fight crime are my fetish.
That and bros fighting crime. Which would be perfect if I was fan of Luke and Danny, alas, that's not the case.

Nah man. Trinity Angels was hilarious, Ninjak and X-O Manowar were fun, and Ennis' and Delano's Shadowman were interesting.

Well, to be fair, his blog probably isn't the most objective source. Don't get me wrong, I'm pro-Shooter, and I think Marvel and Valiant were both at their best under his iron rule, but we gotta be honest and admit that he's also probably a terrible person. A lot of the shit he writes on his blog seems like cop-out bullshit.

There used to be a very comprehensive fansite on Valiant before the relaunch, that had a very complete history on the original company, but I can't find it any more. But this seems like an objective take at it.

comicbooked.com/valiant-efforts-part-1/

And yeah, Shooter was basically fucked by the higher-ups.

This?
valiantcomics.com/
>his blog probably isn't the most objective source
I've been reading it with that thought in mind.

I'd been going through that url myself, I finally found what I meant.

valiantarchive.com/valiant/valiantdays.php

It's very dated (2003), but it's still the best retelling of the original Valiant story I've come across.

Also, those Valiant movies that are reportedly in development, are made by Sony?!?!

I guess that means they could be near perfect, like their Spider-Man movies, or terrible, like their Spider-Man movies.

Very interested in Valiant, but I've never read anything from them.

Any suggestions on a few paperbacks to buy?

reddit.com/r/valiant/wiki/readingorder

Appreciate the link.

Should I start at the beginning or is there a better jumping on point in that list somewhere?

So far, it's better to start at Act One.