Batman by Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers

It's Friday night. My coffee's cold. I've got no pizza.

Let's read some Batman.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mv7Z75sxLFY
youtube.com/watch?v=VoPR88koEIw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That is a sick cover.

Great choice. This is ESSENTIAL Batman. One of the top three runs ever.

Pretty fucking metal.

Indeed, and I've never read it.

These ten or so issues make up one of the most influential eras of Batman's entire history, to the point that you'll see a lot of things that inspired or were adapted into the Animated Series years later.

Though this is Walt Simonson on art, Rogers comes in on issue #471.

i didn't realize this was the Englehart/Rogers run at first, excited to finally read it. Mad it's not collected

Kek, that phone call is hilarious.

It actually was collected in a book called "Strange Apparitions", which has become the informal title of this whole storyline involving Hugo Strange and Rupert Thorne.

The book is now out of print and hard to find though. And I know this because I spent the last hour trying to track down a copy until I decided to storytime it.

meant to say out of print

Also these first two issues and the last two I'll be doing later on are actually scans from that very book because the scans of the actual issues are a little ugly.

Now this is some fuckin' 40's Detective Comics shit.

Actually there is. It's in Legends of the Dark Knight - Marshall Rogers, which is out of print. Maybe your LCS will have it in stock

>Rape... the... *thud*

>my lcs
>having anything other than things related to Marvel movies
LOL

But thanks, it'll make finding it easier.

This Simonson art is a nice little treat for me, at least. Because Simonson's Thor was one of the things that first helped me get into comics, his art has always had a special appeal to me.

Especially the paneling, such as on this and the last page.

Have you been reading Ragnarok?

It looks like DC cancelled the second Norm Breyfogle volume, because why would something nice happen?

I dropped it when he killed off the qt drow

OK, just kidding, but I do think she was a more interesting protag than Thor /again/

Sure, she was an interesting character - but it was always gonna be Thor.

Is that the current storyline? Because I haven't read Thor since... Fraction.

Though the amount of sheer hatred for Aaron's run on Sup Forums has lead me to be interested in reading it.

This is the worst of all realities, sometimes.

No, it's a IDW series by Simonson.

Oh shit, I remember saying I was gonna read that when it started. And then never reading it.

Thank you for reminding me because that's going on my pull this instant.

It's the Thor thing Simonson is doing for IDW. No Marvel connection but some similarities, e.g. the mystic technology. Set after the Twilight of the Gods with an undead Thor.

It's pretty good. Thor is a little bit of a worse person than Marvel Thor, but interesting.

>Batman
>paranoid
No way

I wonder who this guy is supposed to be

>Sprang Memorial Arena

Based

Shouldn't a man made out of phosphorous standing in a pond be more exploding?

>Walt Simonson

Has he mastered onomatopoeia yet at this point? The Son of Simon is a God of Sound Effects.

wat

I didn't know O'Hara was actually in the comics at any point

So is this guys where they got the inspiration for Blight?

>this entire scene
lol

Huh, I never noticed the similarity before. It's certainly possible.

Ah, Silver St. Cloud! Who would, years later, be a major character in Kevin Smith's MASTERPIECE the Widening Gyre.

Oldfag here.

For 30 years I've wanted to know did they all die? Did any of them die? Was it just a panic & maybe people got trampled?

I just realized they left that plot point hanging.

>And everyone died. Anyway, back at Bruce's cool elevator...

youtube.com/watch?v=Mv7Z75sxLFY

Yeah, what the fuck? They literally never mention the fact that like a couple hundred people got Fur Convention'd.

>Boss Rupert Thorne

Man, they ought to have dropped the "Boss" bit because the Party Machines were well and truly disassembled by the 70s, even if they do make great villains.

I considered doing their final story arc last week, for the timing.

>Yes, Batman! I have constructed a face mask composed entirely of pizza!

I suppose I actually could have just started here. But Simonson's art was so good!

I know, right? Even by Gotham standards ya think 15,000+ 16-25 year olds choking to death on acid gas would be a big deal.

And Joker would be seriously pissed

youtube.com/watch?v=VoPR88koEIw

Please stop posting images in the storytime, ya nimrod

>Alfred pushes through a fast recovery of his phosphorous poisoning because Butlers gonna Butle.

Truly a Gentleman's Gentleman's Gentleman.

>Finger Alley
Right next to Kane Waste Processing

>Giant glowing laser skull

Man, the people at that concert to high to realize they're dying must be going out of their goddamn minds.

wew

Up yours, now I'm gonna fuck this up.

Because of you.

More name droppin'

It's not like there's really that much you can really do with "glowing skeleton man" outside of a particular range without losing that basic idea.

Whatever, enjoy your ban.

I think I have this album somewhere, man

Quit fucking up the storytime you idiot

Calm down, folks

This looks like it was a black light poster in so many dorm rooms.

Also, a giant laser skull gassed a rock concert to possibly fatal effect.

Making Batwoman's dad, a Kane, into a villain that was basically trying to turn Batman into massive international thing for his own personal benefit is an underappreciated move by Tynion.

It's a Monster, Man!

Wait, is that the Kane family mansion from Batman: Earth One? The one Birthday Boy hid out in?

IIRC Strange is literally Batman's very first recurring villain.

!!!

OK, I can't take it anymore, I have to drive to get pizza.

But I'll be back in thirty minutes, sorry fellas.

I hate living so far from any delivery place.

Was this the first time Hugo learned Batman's identity? I recall two other times.

>Long live the new Batman
>You could be in the Superman Movie

Well, that's an unconventional way to cast Batman in a Superman movie.

The first storytime I ever did actually turned into a discussion about pizza somehow. I don't remember what it was I posted, but I remember that,

This was the first

>Roxxon
Strange reads Marvel Comics

DUDE WOMEN RIGHT LMAO

D I C K
I
C
K

>The Spirit
>Mister Miracle

What do Don Corleone, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Prince want with Batman's identity?