How would you go about creating a character designed to be "Conan (The Howard character...

How would you go about creating a character designed to be "Conan (The Howard character, not the Flaming C) with the powers of Superman"

I'd look at "strong man" myths from antiquity. Heracles, Gilgamesh, Samson, etc. where you have a guy who isn't a god (though they straddle the line between men and gods), but he's got crazy strength

What do you mean by the powers of Superman? Strength and flight, or the whole nine yards with heat vision and freeze breath?

what ind of threats would you put him up against? how would you integrate him with a major cape universe?

you know like, can bust mountains and shit. not DCAU style so much as, say, Morrison style Superman. doesn't have to specifically be flight or laser beams but just a general "An entire conventional military wouldn't even make this guy bleed" type character

That character exists. His name is Hercules.

which version?

You'd sit down with a pencil. Something lighter for the first past like an HB or a B2, and then you'd draw Thor.

I would make the accumulation of such powers very gradual

if you make this mountain smashing man god thing right out of the gate, itll be boring because nothing can really challenge him

good characterization takes putting characters up against odds that are against them and then the overcome them.

I'd listen to the poster below you. I mean DESU I'd have him fight more wizards who happen to be pirates, or thieves. Just read the Howard Conans and replace the pirates with demigods and wizards.

and we're done here.

In one of the stories, Conan killed frost giants cause he wanted sweet Asgardian pussy. I mean Conan is already nearly there.

I'd get Kurt Busiek to do a series based on pic related

You draw Thor.

Thor doesn't kill people wantonly or express disgust with civilization.
I feel like your mischaracterizing someone

That's why Batman will always be superior to supercuck.

Either you make one of the countless generic Supeman ripoff marvel usually makes.

Or you do this. Although I don't know why you'd want to make Gilgamesh all over again, he's already perfect.

just do a continuiation fo teh story, where Gilgamesh did eventually find immortality after talking to the dead Enkidu and still walks the earth today broing down and killing monsters

>I'm a pleb a physical conflict is the only thing that appeals to me.
That's why children prefer Batmeme to Superior Superman.

That's basically what Marvel's Hercules or DC Samson already are.

You're just making another rip-off.

Currently playing a character like this in a Mutants & Masterminds campaign.

Ask me anything.

DC has a Samson?

whats his name?

Definitely not human ones.

He needs Skeletor or whatever.

I would go with Alex Toph Hanna Barbara heroics. Space Ghost or Thundar sort of feel.

-Take this guy

-Put him on adventures across the multiverse

-Profit

Already exists and his name is He-Man.

An alien barbarian with the strength to mach Superman's.

This.

First question: Which aspects of Conan are you focusing on?

superman's rocket lands in barbarian times

He-Man's mom was an Earth chick? Do they ever make a series focusing on her adventures and eventual rise into becoming a queen?

Dragon Ball

It was touched a bit in the very first comics, but they never explored it further.

lol kinda

>Physical contests that 9/10 times are won by the good guy anyway make for compelling drama

Some of the greatest fictional works created by mankind have been about characters that can do -anything-. Read your Arabian Nights and Metamorphoses.

Then it was mentioned again, when He-Man arrived on Earth during the recent crossover with the DC Universe, and he found his mother.

Adam is not very Conan in terms of character though. He's very Superman though, especially with the dual identity thing.

I sort of thought an interesting take on the Superman concept would be to play up the slight Tarzan influence his character had. Instead of the rocket landing on Earth it malfunctions and dies. But the baby is by a yellow sun, so it gets out and starts floating around and gets adopted by a race of giant space whales that travel the universe.

He's a feral child with the powers of Superman. And eventually he grows curious enough to explore the universe on his own, getting in all sorts of adventures and trouble. He lands on one planet and they think he's a god, and he had no idea what a god is. He finds people in a huge galactic war he knows nothing about are trying to use him as a pawn. He accidentally passes through a forbidden zone and starts a planetary war. His momma-whale gets sick and he goes berserk trying to find some cure somewhere in the universe for her.

Basically you'd have this naive, curious character with the powers of a god, a big flying naked guy going from planet to planet seeing what he can find.

Huh never knew this. Seems like an interesting enough premise to make into a series or at least miniseries. Like Farscape but with more faeries and magic mixed with scifi shit. I can already see Jennifer Lawrenece starring in the inevitable movie adapations

Depends from the canon. In the comics, He-Man is pretty much similar to Conan, only more idealist, and with Superman's strength level.

>Conan killing people wantonly

He'd kill you if you got in his way, but he's not some psycho that kills helpless innocents for fun. He believes in honor.

>Power levels

The thing about Howard era Conan was that a big part of his appeal came from him facing down overwhelming odds with guts.

In Phoenix on the Sword he nearly dies to the assassins and only beats the demon because of a enchantment he didn't know about, but he's awesome because after the fight he only barks "Wine" to his servants and when the demon uses his soul killing gaze instead of reacting failing his sanity check like the previous victim Conan fights back in a rage that such a horrible THING exists.

You got to have the attitude about Conan right if you're going to write Conan.

Thundarr was Jack Kirby Ruby Spears

his personality and personal philosophy

>He'd kill you if you got in his way,
but Thor, typically, won't kill you unless there's no other option

Conan was a thief, a pirate, and a conqueror. He was fine with killing guards in the way of the goods or enemy soldiers. He just wouldn't kill anyone who was innocent, and certainly no women or children. And he rather had a habit of getting between decadent assholes and the people suffering under them. He hated being king, but he was loved by the people for being fair.

>Personality and philosophy

You got one part right there OP-Conan is all about willpower. He will never surrender.

Another part of Conan is his jack of all trades nature and curiosity about the world around him. He wants to see everything, learn everything, try everything. He's been a cossack, mercenary, king, pirate, thief, bodyguard, ranger...he's been everything a man can be in Hyborea.

Its why being king sucked so much for him. He couldn't travel like he used to.