Dear Sup Forums

Dear Sup Forums

Do you guys have any suggestion of an good cartoon series or anime series where the main protagonists are female?

The only one that I found and liked was mlp fim. That show has most female main characters and showed me that a show of only female character can be entertaining. Not that have anything against female character, but I haven't find any more good shows that have only female main characters.
I tried to watch some precure anime, but the character are very shallow and are not very intersting enough for me to enjoy.

Other urls found in this thread:

jowritesstuff.wordpress.com
youtube.com/watch?v=wse_hgca220
spaztique.deviantart.com/journal/The-Simple-Character-Creator-Formula-351762100
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Big female-led anime series when I was growing up were like Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura. I'm not sure about cartoons.

Is a female lead/cast your only criteria?

The big issue with that is until a few years ago, producers felt that shows without predominately male casts wouldn't appeal to boys and thus wouldn't move action figures and merchandise. Legend of Korra was the first real step away from that.

Bwahahaha! Powerpuff Girls man. The original of course.

There's My Life As A Teenage Robot, Oban Star Racers, Ruby Gloom for that comfy and probably a lot more I can't recall at the moment. OP needs to be far more specific in terms of genre.

As for anime there's an insane amount of stuff, so again, what genres do you like?

Let me hook you up with the real good shit.

Pepper Ann

eliza thornberry
ginger

There's Kim Possible. I wasn't much of a fan but you might be.

Mighty B! was pretty good imo
+ original PPG

For anime, there are several, but the best one that comes to mind where the whole main cast is female, is Magical Girl (or Mahou Shoujo) Madoka Magica. It subverts the genre and gets very dark and tense, even though it looks sickeningly cute on a first glance.

Totally Spies

I could think of Kim Possible and Winx right now. Pretty eh when you just ask for that but not for the kind of shows that you like (e.g. genres, tones, plots, etcetera)

Well, there's Oban, Kim Possible, Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell, Claymore.

Cheap knockoff of Evangelion.

Great anime with female protagonists, sans pure moe:

Serial Experiments Lain
Kino's Journey
Cardcaptor Sakura
Joshiraku
Kite

Those come to mind first, with a caveat that Joshiraku is not for newcomers to anime. Kite is violent and depressing, but a wonderful neo noir story and I feel very underrated.

>this shit is considered ""great"" by anime standards
Good to know the medium is shite.

>Do you guys have any suggestion of an good cartoon series or anime series where the main protagonists are female?

At the risk of getting to Sup Forums in here:

Ghost in The Shell: SAC, seasons 1 and 2
Guardian of The Spirit (Seirei no Moribito) (pic related)
Birdy The Mighty: Decode, seasons 1 and 2

I don't really know of any western cartoons that are good with female leads. I'd say Legend of Korra, but a lot of people really hate it.

>Lain
>Kino
>Sakura
>shit

Yes, they are.
>pretentious trash with the most boring, personality-less characters imaginable
>shitty mahou shoujo (and all mahou shoujo is shit, it's capeshit of Japan)

There is no need to engage a consumer of Hollywood propaganda.

>not liking sakura kinomoto

>Cheap knockoff of Evangelion

It's dark like Evangelion. That's basically it. But everything "Urobutcher" writes is dark.

How do I write good female characters?

just because they aren't jumping up and down doesn't mean a character doesn't have a personality.

>pretentious
>capeshit
oh never mind, you're retarded.

You shouldn't. You should just write good characters.

With flaws, not obliviously making her manly just to compare her with the other male characters, also something that makes her interesting like a backstory.

Basically, whatever the setting, make it as you would make any other protagonist, but not as boring as say a harem/VN main character.

Seconding

>consumes awful trash that may as well be hollywood trash
>accuses others of being hollywood trash consumers
I'm sure you believe Kino is actually deep and anything but babby's first and cringeworthy attempt at including phulosophy in the work, you idiot.

>he disagrees with me and I don't like his wording, he must be retarded
You're retarded enough to think the characters of those shitty series have personalities, now that is definition of a complete moron.

>just because they aren't jumping up and down doesn't mean a character doesn't have a personality.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth, moron. Guess what, Ichise from Texhnolyze is not "jumping up and down" either and yet manages to have an actual personality unlike those hollow excuses to move the plot forward.

You write good male characters and add an "s" to the beginning.

This blog has a pretty handy ten-point criteria, and several posts about how female characters from various movies and TV shows measure up to it.

jowritesstuff.wordpress.com

youtube.com/watch?v=wse_hgca220
The only objective answer. Everything else is false.

The same as any other character.

The rooster is agitated.

>le rooster meme
Oh, I forgot you're a slavshit. How's it being a non-white subhuman, barely above 'groids?

There's just a certain element to add or subtract when writing specifically feminine characters too. Mostly the only difference if you're writing females is just hobbies and love interest, but with really feminine ones, it's another type of character personality.

>Freak's Sqeele

>I Kill Giants

>Sky Doll

>Girl Genius (if you can get past Folios art)

It fascinates me how people find the drive to write novels like this. The other user would probably forget it faster than you typed it.

It fascinates me that someone is actually attention-whoring on an ANONYMOUS board.

I suggest Kill la Kill

Like you write any other character: give them a strength, a weakness, and a quirk.
For example: a genius with shit social skills who stutters or a good athlete who has a bad temper and has a thing for fine wines.

write them as people with their own aspirations, plans, agency, flaws, preferences and hobbies, rather than writing them as objects you'd want to fuck. Give them traits and opinions you don't personally agree with or have interest in but still show these traits to be positive. That really goes for any character, but most shit female characters are those that exist because the writer wants to fap to them and all their traits and personality are centered on being the perfect girl for the creator.

>tfw I did that and ended up with something that can be barely considered a female, let alone a human being
So my advice, take the poster's above me advice but be careful.

Gaze upon our glory little man.

>SEL
>shite

I don't know if you legitimately have shit taste, or trying to pass off having superior taste but hating actual good shows.

either way kill yourself.

His anus is aching for some reason so he's venting his frustration. Also Watamote was enjoyable in that strange kind of self-depreciating way.

This was absurd but really fun to watch.

>actual good shows
Low standards of a weeb. I bet you think Nolan is a genius too.

I suggest Little Witch Academia to you

The only butthurt here comes from you weebs, pretending your medium is anything but utter dogshit.

>female characters
>entertaining
No.

>medium

That'd be animation. You literally judge whether a piece of art is good or not based upon the nationality of the creator.

We're throwing around Sup Forums stuff too?
Good, then let me introduce you to God.

Nothing wrong with that.
There's a reason nothing good ever came from non-white countries.

Seconding the first part of this but I think it's important to be able to empathize with all of the characters you make (male/female, hero/villain, etc.) on some level otherwise you really run the risk of making a strawman. If you can relate to your female character then you've made a good female character. Basically the problem most guys have is that they view their female characters from the outside instead of trying to see things from their point of view and ask themselves "How would they feel in this situation?"

I agree. I must aspire to your apex of kino. How is The Big Bang theory this season?

Well, what would you say is good?

>Cheap knockoff of Evangelion
It's awkward hearing anyone call something else a knockoff of an anime created by complete tools.

>If you can relate to your female character then you've made a good female character
What if I'm making them as inhuman and unrelatable as possible? Have them operate on their own logic and morality rather than those of what any reasonable human being would have?

I really liked Lain but you have to admit it gets pretty pretentious.

>not being able to reason case by case
Look, as long as you don't make them Barbies, you should be good.

You activated my trap card. Mitsudomoe.

Godtier animation in that.

Best female characters come from Studio Ghibli, Higurashi, and Umineko.

>Cheap knockoff of Evangelion.

This is bait. No one is actually that dumb.

>Anno
>a tool

I can do that, at least.

Also
>all that talk about anime
>no mention of the best anime female character
Shame on all of you.
>inb4 "female"

>Studio Ghibli

Sadly the stories are usually shit. The one about the planes was good though, but unrelated to OP's question.

>Studio Ghibli
God no, they're all boring as hell.

Then focus on making them interesting. We can still like interesting characters that we can't relate to. But they have to offer a point of view and operate on internal logic that's alien to us but can still be explained. Are they a villain? Are they a hero that doesn't relate to the other heroes? Both of those can be interesting if you're interested in exploring how the character sees the world.

First movie she barely even behaves human and the whole plot is her mixing with puppet master to become something else.

Granted she's far less autistic in the second gig tv show

spaztique.deviantart.com/journal/The-Simple-Character-Creator-Formula-351762100
inb4
>deviant art
This journal is pretty good and breaks down famous characters.

Goddesses trump soulless automatons.

do you have a tripcode or something so I can filter you?

Cyber Six

I'm writing a story with a male and a female lead and basically writing the same character arc for both with some differences for each.

Both were exiled because of a mistake they made, the male was too impulsive and greedy and the female was too cowardly, it cost them dearly and now they'll go through a journey that'll challenge their flaws.

Gender is really secondary to all that, it surely influences their personalities but it's not all they are, and I think that's a good way of writing character of either gender depending on the kind of story you're working on.

Korra

Kaziklu clearly is that retarded.

>producers felt that shows without predominately male casts wouldn't appeal to boys and thus wouldn't move action figures and merchandise. Legend of Korra was the first real step away from that.

Did Korra move merchandise though? The comic is coming out like 2 years after the show was over, were there any toys?

Steven universe. The gems are sympathetic but also deeply flawed, and none of them fall into "the chick" stereotype.

As for writing women, write them the same way you'd write a man or non binary character. The audience may perceive what a character does differently because of their gender, that shouldn't stop you from writing what you want.

It literally doesn't, because that would imply that it pretends to have more depth than it actually does. Its problem is that it literally goes too deep into things almost nobody knows shit about. It's like if your show randomly got into the nitty gritty of the history of cults in scientific communities.

>Cartoon or anime
Uh. Huh.

Cyber Six and Calamity Jane come to mind.

For comics: Ms. Marvel is [not shit], American Vampire is very good, Gotham Academy is great, and the current Jem and the Holograms comic is also really, really good.

Before you get shat on by the SJW witch hunters, I don't really think SU counts. While the CGs are main characters, the story is still told from Steven's perspective. This thread is about how female characters who carry the show by themselves like Star Butterfly.

>It's like if your show randomly got into the nitty gritty of the history of cults in scientific communities.
d-do you know of such a show? asking for a friend.

I really wish she appeared in flashbacks more.
I find her much more interesting than the MC

Its weird how little kid cartoons have good writing nowadays. They just can't show that much violence or have a real bad guy.

And also Trigger the anime

>real bad guy
Neither can adult shows, apparently. All I'm seeing these days are boring cartoonish villains that's hard to take seriously.

Oban, Totally Spies, W.I.T.C.H.

>Sup Forums hates Miyazaki now
I knew this board had shit taste desu

Well there are crime dramas

Isn't he Japans John K?
I mean he has good animation, but its not that fucking good

>crime dramas
You're only proving my point.
Even The Wire had a caricature character in the face of Marlo Stanfield, what can I say about much worse written shows?

All I said was that I find his female characters to be extremely boring but he's supposedly a feminist, so that's expected.

>female protag thread
>Ctrl+F
>no Life and times of Juniper Lee
you guys need get it together

how the hell is he japan's john k if he's actually directed good stuff

Not every person in the real world has something to make them sympathetic. Some people are just sociopaths or were born with something wrong in their head. Many of those people, who don't become serial killers, happen to end up involved in organized crime.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

they hate Alan Moore and john K too. turns out someone hating the current state of an industry is a valid reason to hate them.

My problem is not that villains in crime shows are sociopaths, the problem is that they're usually boring sociopaths and frankly just because something exists in reality doesn't mean it works in fiction too. Personally, I feel that someone like teenagers who kill people and animals for fun (who by the way exist in reality, look up 3 guys 1 hammer for instance) don't make for compelling villains in fiction.

Hannibal may not have been a great show (even if it had potential) and too had a caricature villain like Mason Verger, but the way Hannibal himself was presented was actually pretty interesting.

Because not everything he makes is good and I might be remembering this wrong, but his ego is so far up his ass he thinks that only his way of anime is the right way.

>don't make for compelling villains in fiction

Why not? The concept is pretty frightening, particular the idea that there are people capable of faking traits such as empathy but who are really hollow on the inside.

>Police also came across a hand-drawn "treasure map" that led them to two buried five-gallon buckets.One contained envelopes with names and victim IDs, suggesting that the full body count might be as high as 25. In the other bucket, police found Lake's handwritten journals for the years 1983 and 1984, and two videotapes that showed the torture of two of their victims. These demonstrated that Ng was intimately involved in these crimes. In one of the tapes, Ng tells victim Brenda O'Connor: "you can cry and stuff, like the rest of them, but it won't do any good. We are pretty – ha, ha – cold-hearted, so to speak".

Charles Ng would make a terrifying villain.

Because it's usually not done very well and feels more like a one-dimensional caricature. Besides what you posted sounds scary in reality, but would sound like a saturday morning cartoon villain gloating.
Again, it can be done well but just usually isn't. I don't know, maybe we need new talented writers.