WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN: Doctor Strange

>Fede Alvarez, Nikolaj Arcel, Dean Israelite, Jonathan Levine and Mark Andrews were approached to direct before Scott Derrickson was hired.

>Benedict Cumberbatch initially declined the role of Stephen Strange due to scheduling conflicts with his theater commitments. Mads Mikkelsen, Joaquin Phoenix, Jared Leto, Jake Gyllenhall, Tom Hardy, Colin Farrell, Ethan Hawke, Jack Huston, Oscar Isaac, Keanu Reeves, Matthew McConaughey, Ewan McGregor and Justin Theroux were approached to play the role before filming was delayed to accomodate Cumberbatch's schedule.

>Ken Watanabe, Morgan Freeman and Bill Nighy were approached for the Ancient One before Tilda Swinton was cast.

>Rachel McAdams had previously been approached to play Pepper Potts in IRON MAN before being cast as Christine Palmer.

>Mads Mikkelsen had previously been cast as Malekith in THOR: THE DARK WORLD, but had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts.

>In early drafts, the Ancient One was a Asian man and Wong was not featured. When the Ancient One was made into a Celtic woman, Wong was added to the story as one of Strange's mentors rather than his manservant.

>Early drafts included Lord Nightmare, ruler of the Nightmare Dimension, but Derrickson believe that the concept was too complex for the first movie and the character would be best served being properly introduced in a sequel.

>In early drafts Strange reveals that he went through the loop thousands of times before Dormammu decided to accept his bargain, and that he remembers each and every time he died, but this was cut from the movie.

>There were plans to introduce Clea, Strange's wife in the comics, but Derrickson decided againt it because the character's backstory was too complex for the first movie.

>Early cuts had a slightly darker tone that didn't ressonate very well with test-audiences. Dan Harmon was then hired to revise the script and more lighthearted beats were added in reshoots.

>Early cuts featured a subplot about Strange's sister, Donna, who falls into a river while they're playing together and drowns despite his attempts to save her, motivating Strange to study medicine. Lulu Wilson played Donna, but all of her scenes were cut.

>Early cuts featured an extended prologue with scientists at CERN studying parallel dimensions intercut with the Ancient One teaching the sorcerers of Kamar-Taj to evidence the parallels between magic and science, which was cut to keep the mystical elements shrouded in mystery.

>Benedict Cumberbatch also provided the voice and motion capture performance for Dormammu.

>Benedict Cumberbatch also provided the voice and motion capture performance for Dormammu.

I knew it.

>Early cuts featured an extended prologue with scientists at CERN studying parallel dimensions intercut with the Ancient One teaching the sorcerers of Kamar-Taj to evidence the parallels between magic and science, which was cut to keep the mystical elements shrouded in mystery.

Feels like that was for the best. I was happy with just the explanation of "Spells are powered using the energy of the multiverse"

>>Early cuts had a slightly darker tone
Gibe

>In early drafts Strange reveals that he went through the loop thousands of times before Dormammu decided to accept his bargain, and that he remembers each and every time he died, but this was cut from the movie.

Fuck it would be delicious and could lead to a logical powercreep, that's necessary for Strange. But we can't have nice things can we now?

Remember when Dan Harmon made fun of Marvel movies in Community?
Fucking hack

I think they got that idea across in the final movie. We see Strange defending himself more and more as the deaths go on.

Yeah, I got that too, but thanks to "thor franchise" I'm horribly pessimistic.

Wish they had not added the jokes. Sigh.

>>In early drafts Strange reveals that he went through the loop thousands of times before Dormammu decided to accept his bargain, and that he remembers each and every time he died, but this was cut from the movie.

What's wrong with having the movie more lighthearted?

I don't understand why Sup Forums wants dark movies.

were going to get logen and that a R rated movie

>>Early cuts had a slightly darker tone that didn't ressonate very well with test-audiences.
Maybe next time don't get the same retards you used for Avengers and GoTG. That way your test audiences might expect something different.

Source?

Except Homura did everything wrong.

Are test audiences an RLM meme or do they actually consistently ruin movies?

They shape movies, for better or for worse.

Can we please drown these test audiences? They get every fucking thing simi throught provking/dark cut with their pleb taste

Was this movie good?

Yeah there's stories of where test audiences influence changes in a movie to make it better, but man it seems like a lot of the audiences they get for these comic movies have terminally shit taste.

Holy shit one of my biggest problems with the movie is that Strange saves the day with no apparent sacrifice or drawback on his part.

I can't fucking believe they cut this.

In general, it seems like test audiences can't handle downers

I doubt a movie ever became darker after being shown to test audiences, only more light-hearted

It had maybe three good things about it, but otherwise it's too boring for me to hate.

Honestly, they could've cut all three scenes of the romantic subplot, chopped off most of the first hour of the movie, and streamlined all the action sequences down to make an hour-long showing and it would've been godly.

I like to think these audiences are nothing but nu males, little old ladies with 40+ cats, and 7 year olds that are only home schooled.

I was gonna say... movies could get a helluva lot more entertaining if focus groups were only seven year olds

But then you said home-schooled

Then why the fuck did they hire Derrickson? He's an horror director, of course it was going to be darker.

I know kids who have been homeschooled their entire lives.

And I taught public school for three years.

I'd rather take the home-schoolers.

Does this really need to be spelled out though? I thought it was perfectly obvious that was the case. Maybe not the "thousands of times" but definitely that he had recollection of it all.

What I meant was homeschooled kids could be less... fun? Easily more well-behaved, of course, just no unhinged imagination

Knowing this board, yes, everything needs to be spelled out completely or people here don't get it

>>In early drafts Strange reveals that he went through the loop thousands of times before Dormammu decided to accept his bargain, and that he remembers each and every time he died, but this was cut from the movie.

It might not have been clearly shown but we can still assume this situation. Do you honestly think Dormie gave up after 12 attempts at killing strange? It obviously came across as shorthand to who knows how many hundreds or thousands of repetitions played out. And Strange has to remember the loops because both he and Dormie are talking about the loops occurring.

IMO, Strange died thousands of times and remembers each time is canonical for the released film.

>just no unhinged imagination

Again, you probably don't know many homeschooled kids.

You could say that he does remember all those deaths in the loop, which is why he's so adamant to get rid of all evil magic guys from Earth like Loki, since he realizes it could take another 1000 death loop type thing to potentially top them if they got hold of some of the mystical shit he has stockpiled in the sactums

I only know my half a dozen cousins in Ohio, who were homeschooled by their religious parents

Very good people, but kinda dull. They loved Veggietales and Lord of the Rings

>one of my biggest problems with the movie is that Strange saves the day with no apparent sacrifice or drawback on his part
Mordo certainly seems to think that he may have irrevocably fractured the time-space continuum.

Yeah homeschooled kids can run a crapshoot from "we aren't allowed to play pokemon because it teaches evolution" to "LET ME SHOW YOU MY MASSIVE FANTASY REALM THAT I HAVE WRITTEN DETAILED RULES FOR AND HAVE RECREATED IN MINECRAFT".

Yeah but we don't see any confirmation of that other than Mordo's paranoia.