Is this the first appearance of The Empty Hand in DC?

Is this the first appearance of The Empty Hand in DC?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZElezm1HULE
youtu.be/l-cxBuRU09w
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Multiversity thread? Multiversity thread.

Good catch OP. Perhaps if it's not official it might be one of those things Morrison may have read and was subconsciously referencing in a hypercrises sense.

After finally reading Ultra Comics I'm definitely backing the theory that Ultra Comics is the Empty Hand too. Also, is there going to be a Volume 2 of this or what? What's next?

I feel like this could be a good thread but it's fucking 6 in the morning on a Sunday so it's probably not going to go anywhere.

It wouldn't be no surprise for Morrison to use Moore's ideas.

Nah, that's the hand of the Presence. Essentially, God. I like to think the Empty Hand is someone who met the Presence and just didn't get it, so he became
that thing.

There's clearly a second hand reaching for the Precence user. That's clearly the one OP is asking about. Don't be obtuse.

This issue came out the day the issue where the incursions destroyed the last worlds of the Marvel Universe, Earth 616 and the Ultimate Universe.So 'Multiverse 2' is very likley referring to this.

Opening up the possibility of other Multiverses, I imagine another is the Wildstorm 'Snowflake' from Planetary.

They're both the presence you div. It's a Life/Death Duality thing, read the actual story you fucking newfag.

Nah, that's wrong. It's some evil thing fighting the presence.

Oh fuck. Oh fuck, are those bat-things Dark Matter? THE EMPTY HAND IS 0^2, THE SATAN OF KIRBY GAMES.

Can you guys tell me who the hell this Emty Hand is? I've read Multiversity but could misundestood few moments, because eng is not my native as you see. Is he some kind of creator/wathcer of multiverse? Stongest guys in DC etc?

The Empty Hand is the reader

I've heard that point before, but forgot. Okay, thank you. Need to re-read comic to understand it.

Basically:
Ultra Comics is the reader. Empty Hand is Ultra Comics, twisted by the Gentry (i.e. shitty editors and creators) into only wanting bland, edgy tripe with no substance, and now the Gentry give him what he wants in a vicious cycle.
Understand?

Oh, damn. It's pretty clear now, thank you very much.

So is Dr Manhattan going to fight him? Empty Hand should be an obstacle to Manhattan to which they both fight and get destroyed or some shit.

This is one of those psychic moments with you Sup Forums. I literally thought the same thing right after I posted that.

/psy/co/ moments?

Marx?

Is that official or is that just our interpretation? Also again, is there going to be more to the story and are we going to find out more about the Empty Hand the and Gentry? Or this it?

Also also also also, I use the word also too much.

Also, I wonder -- could Multiversity work as an animated adaption? Or does it only work as a comic since it's about comics? I can see it getting adapted into animation but I'd LOVE to see it in something like Animatrix style. Remember how they made that anime batman? Like several different stories with several different artists/studios?

That would be cool as fuck.

It's the great darkness, It's supposed to be the thing that was there before the presence made everything. The whole point of the story was that one thing can not exist without it's counterpart like good and evil.

>Also, I wonder -- could Multiversity work as an animated adaption?
DC can't even make current pseudo-new52 animated universe work. So, leave your hopes, mate.

It's the Great Evil Beast. Great Darkness is the when Darkseid fought the Legion of Superheroes.

I was surprisingly underwhelmed by that conclusion. Of all the people, I'd expect Moore to have a more nuanced view and not regurgitate the "balance of good and evil" bullshit.

OH YOU SAYING ALL BLACK HANDS LOOK THE SAME TO YOU?
YOU CANT TELL ONE BLACK HAND FROM ANOTHER?
racist

Great Evil Beast > Empty Hand

No, those are both right hands

Ultraa is like the philosopher's stone in Morrison's JLA run. Its the Empty Hand "inside" of itself just like the philslopher's stone was the universe "inside" of itself.

His DC cosmology is Ellis+Kirby+Gaiman+whatever else he could make fit.

I thought it was more "the bad author" to contrast with "the good author" represented by the Source hand/God hand that pops up in DC from time to to time.

Its both reader and writer because both reader and writer are aspects of Monitor-Mind. Its cynicism really, the same thing Grant's been fighting sense Doom Patrol and Flex Mentallo. Its the attitude that stories and fictional characters are nothing more than germs, nothing more than disposable entertainment without true meaning. Its the same attitude you see the Monitors have in Final Crisis and "Grant Morrison" in Animal Man.

The Empty Hand is the company that publishes "Genocide Secret Ultimates: This time everything Changes for real" and the readers that eat it up. Empty is thy hand.

>Came out the same day the incursions BTFO Marvel

Holy shit that is some real hypercrisis stuff right there.

The great evil beast and the empty hand are different concepts. The first one is more similar to Nekron, Pralaya from JLD or even Mandrakk/Overmonitor. The empty Hand is a different kind of bad guy. The visual callback may have been intentional or not.

Not if we can help

Fun fact: the psychic guy going into conniptions is Steven Dayton AKA Mento, Beast boy's foster father.

I tought the same when I read it. I prefer the idea that Multiverse-2 is a forgotten universe. Not marvel, image, archie, or pre n52 dc. Just, a universe that has entirely dissappeared from the collective consciousness of humankind. After all, fictional universes exist when we think about them, the only way they can die entirely is by being forgotten (Hence, "oblivion machine")

I think that Seven soldiers, final crisis, the return of Bruce Wayne and Superman Beyond could work in TV format. Multiversity relies too much on being a comic, however.

>Multiverse-2 is a forgotten multiverse, one no one cares about, the end result of apathy and cynicism toward fiction.

So how does The Nothing relate to all this?

It's probably a member of the Gentry.

>yfw the entity holding Eternity in chains over in the Marvel Universe is the Empty Hand

He's several things, some of which Grant has already confirmed.

>The reader, who simultaneously creates and destroys the multiverse whenever he opens and closes the comic. What's left when the story ends is an empty Hand.
>DC's "Landlord". He demands a rent or payment for the stories that take place within the dc universe. Also infects them with cynism and maturity. Basically DC as a corporation
>The archetypical big bad, in the same way that the members of the genrty are archetypes for the mastermind, the femme fatale, etc.
>The "Ultimate villain". He's based on the notion that the story never ends. Since it never ends and threats and villains have a tendency to get stronger to raise the stakes as the story goes on, the empty hand is infinitely powerful.

Ok so I understand the man in the blue suit and white hair is suppose to be Clark Kent/Superman but who's the Blonde guy in the red sweater suppose to be?

He's obviously suppose to be another superhero due to both having superhero physiques, both are the only ones with newspapers and they even acknowledge each other.

Marvelman/Miracleman.

>The reader, who simultaneously creates and destroys the multiverse whenever he opens and closes the comic. What's left when the story ends is an empty Hand.

This is why you have to beat the Empty Hand in the "real" world. That was the meaning of the ending. Stories are just garbage unless you give their themes meaning. Unless YOU have a life stories have no life, because good stories are about interpreting and describing facets of human life.

"Gamble a stamp" was basically the big idea behind Multiversity. Superman doesn't want you to be a miserable basement dwelling virgin. Don't let the Empty Hand win.

I think it works both ways. For the Empty Hand to win you could just deem the entirety of fiction as worthless, dismissing everything that can be learnt from it, or be completely enslaved by the stories. The oblivion machine is both a process that takes place in real life as well as a pessimistic idea that devours imagination.

It makes sense. The Anti-Death equation is one of their tools.

I think it is even implied that someday the empty hand will destroy our universe as well

>The empty Hand destroys ultra comics by draining his story
>Ultra comics is us
>We just died a little by reading the comic and wasting our precious life force
>Eventually we will all be drained by the passage of time and all of our stories will end

I'd be terrified if it wasn't such a cool concept.

Not every hand is the empty hand.

Reading both Multiverse ending epics as they came out was such a great experience

bump

but they're all empty

And they are all hands

Lets talk about how Grant Morrison believes that the 7 JL members represent the 7 chakras. So far the two he has confirmed were that Batman was the root chakra and the Flash as the throat chakra.

Where would you place the other members? Do you think the Avengers can fill the chakras?

You got a link to the interview, senpai? Any sources in which Grant explains his interpretation of the DCU are always welcome

So what does Snapper Carr represent? The whole "secret 8's" thing is too much of a pattern to be a coincidence.

>The whole "secret 8's" thing
Eh?

The entire structure of the Multiverse is based on the number 8, if I'm not mistaken. It was covered in Pax Americana.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZElezm1HULE

And the seven soldiers too

7 heroes and there was also 7 treasures given to man by the gods

The seven virtues and vices
The number 7 is the foundation of God's word because of its complete perfection in the physical and spiritual sense
7 champions of Christendom
7 wise masters
7 days of the week
Of course the 7 planets but also the Septagram

As one of those Hypercrisis threads pointed out, there's a running theme in Morrison's works of groups of 7 with a secret 8th member.
It could be bullshit, but it's such a Morrison thing that I'm inclined to believe it.
Pic related.

>by the Gentry (i.e. shitty editors and creators)
That's not what the Gentry are, user. The Gentry are bad, infectious ideas. They're all the worst elements of Nostalgia, Status Quo, Big 2 Fandom, fear of change, etc. rolled into one.

They're basically "bad memes."

/bump

>The Gentry are bad, infectious ideas
Explains how they travelled Dreams realm to hop from Multiverse 2 to 1.

We've already established that information and ideas can leak between the worlds within the Multiverse (usually shown in the form of comic books), what was there to suggest that they can't also hop between other Multiverses?

Nothing. But now there is something to back up they can vs nothing to show they can't.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

You know considering all the shenanigans going down in DC with Rebirth, it's odd that we haven't had more new content come out of Multiversity/Hypercrisis threads.

Lord, Multiversity could be an awesome ongoing. A team of interdimensional superheroes having weird ass adventures across the multiverse? Yes please.

The presence isn't the empty hand.

he's Stardust The Super Wizard

>This is why you have to beat the Empty Hand in the "real" world. That was the meaning of the ending. Stories are just garbage unless you give their themes meaning. Unless YOU have a life stories have no life, because good stories are about interpreting and describing facets of human life.
>"Gamble a stamp" was basically the big idea behind Multiversity. Superman doesn't want you to be a miserable basement dwelling virgin. Don't let the Empty Hand win.
well I'm working on that, got a job interview tomorrow, and hopefully it will turn out well

What most of you don't know is, the rocket that carried this Earth's Superman has already landed.

>Superman landed in Myanmar
Wow. DC got it wrong as fuck.

nah

The Empty Hand is a duplicate of Dr. Manhattan that he made to explore the multiverse the way The Monitors did, the duplicate became corrupt just like Mandrakk and created life just as Manhattan said he would, he created The Gentry. Manhattan's actions in Flashpoint/New 52/Rebirth are a way to help him fight this evil version of himself.

The fate of the DC universe coming down to Alan Moore and Grant Morrison's concepts battling? I could get behind that.

That was such a good thread.

Someone needs to storytime the entirety of Multiversity again. I'm always so happy in those threads.

Any more cool theories Sup Forums?

Try this one to top it off.
If Multiverse 2 was Marvel, that means that Superboy Prime is a fictional character to Gwenpool and she is near the top of the meta-cosmic hierarchy.

Grant speaks alot like Karl Pilkington somehow. Something about their mannerisms.
youtu.be/l-cxBuRU09w

No, it's part of Krona's origin

This. Go read gl and be amazed.

>Anyone's got the one with the 52 cards and 3 jokers and the hands of creation-empty hand shuffling the cards?

They have a bunch of meanings, user.

Madness

The empty Hand has the best dialogue globes of any comic book character ever, I swear.

Cosmically enhaced bump

What are the necessary readings before I jump on the Hypercrisis Train?

It's like you can't even read. even in OP's picture, the person witnessing it clearly says they are clasping, shaking hands and running together.They are the same thing.

Captain America? I mean the sweater is red,white and blue...

I had goosebumps through the entirety of that issue and was crying by the end.