Why are the Celts such a mysterious people?

It seems like all of their history us contradictory and no one really knows all the much about them. Why is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Celts-Barry-Cunliffe-ebook/dp/0198150105/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473015369&sr=1-7
youtube.com/watch?v=2pCv7k_Hzvg
youtube.com/watch?v=lw2_HZTuQBE
youtube.com/watch?v=tMPhHTtKZ8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=x5HvH1XCEdM
britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/celts/history.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Celtic_tribes#Great_Britain_.28Britannia.29
youtube.com/watch?v=NtkFei4wRjE
youtube.com/watch?v=73uATsa8y5Y
micmap.org/dicfro/search/dictionnaire-godefroy/jaille
micmap.org/dicfro/search/dictionnaire-godefroy/jal
youtube.com/watch?v=VjPtTXtdDvA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they got so enriched by Romans and Germans that they pretty much ceased to exist and lost their relevance.

I have nothing against them, but it's the truth.

Bump for mild interest

Right, but from what I can tell they barely had a written language but still managed to form a fairly civilized group of people.

Probably mostly due do celts being tribal people who didn't really write much down so their history is by word of mouth only

People stopped identifying as such rather rapidly. Also it varies widely with country.

In Gaul people called themselves Romans form the second century AD on. Gauls maintained Roman institutions longer than in central Italy. Even after French dominion they called themselves either French or Romans (until French became the norm) but never Gaul. Bretons are the exception.

In Spain things were more or less like in Gaul (Visigoths replacing Frenchmen) with the added fuckup of Arabic presence in the southern half of the country.

In England there are decent survival of all things celtic in parts have have never really been either ANGLOED nor FRENCHED, which amounts to Cornwall and Wales and perhaps Scotland.

Ireland is still celtic as fuck.

Overall, the word celt is a Greek conception about random people from non Mediterranean Europe. There is no unity at all between them, even less than among various "germanics".

If you want some list of accomplishments to make them relevant, they were the best metal workers of the time and had rather decent industry overall.
Also the pants + shirt combo is Gallic in origin and was spread in succession to the whole world. The Greeks were half naked and the Romans wore male-dresses and togas.

Here is the Green Pill, Sassanatch.
All Europeans descend from Celts.
Rome, Greece, Iberia, even North Africa
They may have some Phoenician admixture but the Celts that arose in the Alps spread out and conquered all of these areas, even into Anatolia.

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Naturally I'm asking because my ancestry is mostly Irish. God damn I want to visit Ireland

>It seems like all of their history us contradictory and no one really knows all the much about them. Why is this?
Lack of their own written records before they got ROMED. Even Irish Ogham insctiptions are just names mostly and they came after the Romans iirc.

Celts in England also got ANGLOED

>amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Celts-Barry-Cunliffe-ebook/dp/0198150105/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473015369&sr=1-7

This is a decent book I read some time ago. Not only am I not an expert but I wouldn't even trust my recommendation.

Also, the whole "celtic" thing has been eprverted by the sense that anything in northwestern Europe is celtic.
Also keep in mind that Celts were very late indo-europeans invaders. They didn't arrive in today's France before 900BC at the earliest (last time I read, there has probably been 6 gorillonz "paradigm shift" about this in the last ten years) and were probably a demographic minority of overlords after the conquest.

VIRIATO

greatest hero of all tiem

oh come the fuck on

Because they got BTFO by romans and by germanics.

Basically the losers of Europr

No, celts never had a civilized society before the romans and germanics and christians

Celts weren't some weak losers though. They pretty much singlehandedly conquered much of Europe from the Neolithic faggots who lived there before during the early Bronze Age. Untold amount of wars went on that we don't know about.

Why do peace loving hippies and wiccans who preach love, peace and equality love the celts so much when they were so notoriously violent?

Celts are the lost tribes of Israel. Thus why Europeans are God's Chosen People.

Early Roman armor is a celt mockup too. Not the shit you see in american movies

Romans weren't cuck enough to write about the history, culture, and language about those they defeated.

They're not swedes.

Geltic civilisation preceded the Germanic one in central Europe. Germanic langauge and culture came from Scandanavia.

The Romans thought the Germanic tribes even more savage. Most of their lands were heavily forested and there were no towns and litte farmland unlike in Gaul.

>There is no unity at all between them, even less than among various "germanics".

No there is linguistic similarity. Celtic and Germanics are ethnolinguistic groups.

The Romans and Greeks knew this, but modern man didn't make the conection between the indigenous British languages and people with that of the ancient Celts until Edward Lhuyd.

I think Celts were a European Pagan society with a Matriarchal society who held as sacred the cycle of the Seasons and Nature. They were essentially Materialists.

The got their shit pushed in by Rome who were quintessentially Patriarchal worshipping almost exclusively male Gods and holding Virtues in the highest esteem. Qualities like Honour, Fidelity, Courage, Forebearance. All the quintessenitally Male Virtues and most especially the Patriarchal Virtue of Discipline.

Celts were great warriors but they crumpled against the Roman shield wall and when Caesar put an end to Vercingetorix it was the end of Celtic Europe and the beginning of the glory of Patriarchal Europe.

fuck you if you doubt me.

But its all over now and we're going back to a Matriarchal Europe where men are just big hairy stupid Boys again.

>What's De Bello Gallico
>Who is Tacito

WE

czechs are pretty much last true celtic people existing. we are mix of germans and celts. pretty good imho.

>Celtic and Germanics are ethnolinguistic groups

This just sounds like you're putting words together to sound good. Celtic languages are distinct from Germanic or Saxon languages. They are still bitterest rivals. The Irish and the English fucking hate each other.

>indo-european
>matriarchal
Yeah I don't think so.

You could make the case for the early farmers from Old Europe but all the Indo-Europeans show an aggressive male dominated culture.

Hmmm...Caesar's books much?

Tacitus, Caesar................I could go on. Read more classics.

you can have a male dominated culture where the women do all the thinking. We've got one now, we call it America.

>It seems like all of their history us contradictory and no one really knows all the much about them. Why is this?

They didn't write anything down, but the Romans wrote just enough about them to spark your interest and make you want to know more.

>I think Celts were a European Pagan society with a Matriarchal society who held as sacred the cycle of the Seasons and Nature.

Quite the contrary, Caesar tell us in the Gallic Wars that the Gauls held the (pater familais) power of life and death over every member of their family.

In 75% it's just Romantic memes.

pic in OP is an Alpinid

OP is being a faggot as usual

>Celtic languages are distinct from Germanic or Saxon languages.

When did I say otherswise you slav ape? I was responding to the poster who said there was no connection between Celtic peoples.

They were the main spreaders of haplogroup R1b in Western Europe. It's quite a good joke to say they were pussywhipped.

perhaps but wasn't the matrilineal line dominant? Here, listen to this and you can hear the repeating cyclical theme over and over. The same symbology is represented in their Art. Everyone knows about Celtic knotwork and it's meaning of an eternal cycle.

youtube.com/watch?v=2pCv7k_Hzvg

I believe in God and the Virtues but there is a part of me that wiishes something of their culture had embedded in European Rome. The idea that time is finite is ridiculous. Here, this is another good example of Celtic influenced contemporary Art.

youtube.com/watch?v=lw2_HZTuQBE

Caesar's writing on Gaul apply here, but not so much Tacitus' germania

>teeeheheheh u slav ape! u r ape bwahaha u ugly u no intelligent

this is prolly better desu

youtube.com/watch?v=tMPhHTtKZ8Q

>

I think Celts were a European Pagan society with a Matriarchal society who held as sacred the cycle of the Seasons and Nature
Robert Graves, is that you?

They're the abos of the northern hemisphere

how can you trust what Caesar wrote about Gaul though? There's a lot of bullshit to make Celts look back

recent finding of historians and archeologists prove that Gauls (and Celts) were much more advanced that previously thought

look bad*

Thanks Czechlandia

youtube.com/watch?v=x5HvH1XCEdM

>much more advanced

I think this is probably true. The Druids were a mysterious group famous for their alchemy. I find it really intrigung that the Romans left Boudicea to ramp the country because they were focussed on annihilating the Druids in Angelsey.

true story

What? Where are you getting this info?

>perhaps but wasn't the matrilineal line dominant?

Gauls were polygamous and mostly and held the pater familias over their women, thus gallic society wasn't matriarchal. But if i'm not wrong, insular cetls were more liberal than mainland celts.

>Gauls were polygamous and mostly and held
Gauls were polygamous and held*

>insular cetls
insular celts*

FTFM

Dude you realise that The Gael was written by a guy who is still alive and kicking right? Its not some ancient music.

Its a little later than the time of the Gauls but the Irish Brehon law is quite "liberal" with regards to women and family. When compared to the Roman law anyhow.

Ireland is great man, been there 7 times because of our 3 genarations of irish blood probably more. anyways the people are great and take alot of pride in there culture.

>The Gael

Sure but it's still an authentic Celtic/Gaelic rendition. You wouldn't argue with that would you? The point is that Celtic symbolism represents an eternal cycle and this deeply philosophical position is the antithesis of its historical enemy, the Romans.

? The Alpines decended from Celts anyway ?

That's what I want to see, people being proud in their culture. Not too common to see that in whites in the states

I don't doubt that the men had a powerful grip on their family, I think they may have been possessed of the most unharnessed masculinity, savage in War and fought at the drop of a hat but that passage doesn't really destry the idea that society was organised on a Matriarchal model.

When Caesar was laying seige to Vercingetorix he was confronted with the Celts sending all their women and children out so as to drain the resources of Caesar but he just left them all to die of hunger. in the space between the Celts stockade and his seige works.

Anglia, Essex, Cumbria etc are all still Celtic, despite what the Scots and Irish say (they are fake Celts that got NORDICKED).

>Celts in England also got ANGLOED
Nope.

Who were the Celts?

Celtic is a powerful evocative word, but it is a cultural label rather than an ethnic identity. Over the last 2,500 years, the name ‘Celts’ has held many different meanings. Originally it was used by the ancient Greeks as a label for barbarian outsiders to the north, and much later the peoples of the modern Celtic nations adopted this name as a way to emphasize their distinctive identities.
500 BC
Iron Age beginnings

The peoples first referred to as Celts lived across much of Europe north of the Alps, in villages or fortified hilltop settlements. Although not a single distinct group, they were interconnected, sharing cultural ideas across the continent. The objects they made for feasting, religious ceremonies, adornment and warfare were both stunning works of art and powerful ways to convey shared values and beliefs. Their unique abstract style set them apart from the classical world, but their technological accomplishments stand on par with the finest achievements of the ancient Greeks and Romans.
britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/celts/history.aspx

nah, they are Saxon. The Angles, the Jutes and Kentish are all Saxon stock. You're more German than Irish.

The Irish are not Celtic, they are Nords that also got NORMAN'D. You want real Celts? Go to Wales, they kept their heritage and culture and language. That's probably the most Celtic place in the world.

The Irish are just fake liars and most of them got genocided, the Scots are all blue eye'd Sassenachs that need to fuck off back to Iceland/Sweden and Norway.

Wherent the celts famous gladiotors or something?

Coming from someone that knows nothing about celts and romans

I hate this animation style so much.
Why cant stuff be more detailed again without being so fucking flat?

Didn't realize Ireland and Scotland were never conquered by Rome.

Nope.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Celtic_tribes#Great_Britain_.28Britannia.29

Also the Celts didn't come from Ireland you retarded cunt. Oh and there's more Irish diaspora in England than there is Irish people in Ireland.

Trufax.

true, the were so far from the middle east and still managed to learn millitary crafts before the buffer zone retards.

I don't know, it seemed like a lot of the famous gladiators came from the Balkans.

Its a great tune indeed.

lmao wat? Anglia and Essex are literally the most Germanic regions of England. The clues in the name spastic Sassanach.

>(they are fake Celts that got NORDICKED)

Try learning history. Nordic settlement was pretty light in all the Isles.

Smelly dumb Anglo scum. Normans were an elite aristocracy. Connacht is the purest Celtic place on earth.

>The name Gaul is derived from Proto-Germanic *walhaz, "foreigner", an exonym applied by Germanic speakers to Celts and Latin-speaking people indiscriminately, making it cognate with the names Wales, Wallachia and Wallonia. The Germanic w- is regularly rendered as gu- / g- in French (cf. guillaume = william), and the diphthong au is the regular outcome of al before a following consonant (cf. cheval ~ chevaux).

>Gaulle cannot be derived from Latin Gallia, since g would become j before a (cf. gamba > jambe), and the diphthong au would be unexplained; the regular outcome of Latin Gallia is Jaille in French, which is found in several western placenames, such as La Jaille-Yvon and Saint-Mars-la-Jaille.

the Scottish accent is remarkably similar to the Norwegian accent. Try it, listen for yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=NtkFei4wRjE

youtube.com/watch?v=73uATsa8y5Y

I thought this years ago.

>When Caesar was laying seige to Vercingetorix he was confronted with the Celts sending all their women and children out
So euros were cucks even back then?

English are just Germanified Celts in the samw wat Turks are just Turkified Greeks.

the style is very deliberate. The Celts are all curves and circles while the Vikings (who were saxon btw) are all angular and straight lines.

So were they brown or gingers?

Modern Swedes don't speak like that anymore. They have a really gay lisp to the rikssvenska.

I hear old Swedes think the Swedish spoken in Åland resembles more like the Swedish that was spoken during their childhood.

Well fuck you Hanz

Check out the Jew fellating hue.

It looks like fucking kim possible though.

OK this is what happened

>Bodica starts the shitstorm
>Roman army is headed to Wales in Anglesey to kill all Druids
>Bodica sacks Londonium
>Romans kill all Druids in their meet up
>Romans come back and kick Bodicas shit in
>Druids only passed down through oral history

Haplogroups don't really reflect this.

>Jaille mean Gaul

Nope

Jaille is a old term and mean trash, it never meant Gaul.

micmap.org/dicfro/search/dictionnaire-godefroy/jaille

But Jal(which come from Gall-us(rooster in latin)) mean rooster in french

micmap.org/dicfro/search/dictionnaire-godefroy/jal

Gaul-icians. They even have them bag pipes. "We wuz Gauls and shiet."

France was supposed to be or used to be Celt. It was called Gallia... now it's Arab and black.

you dont know about hadrians wall lol?

celt are basically yuropniggers

Because you haven't read any books on the subject. I suggest The Ancient Celts by Barry Cunliffe and The Celts and the Classical World by David Rankin.

Celts are preety cool man how they liked fighting naked with there war paint and having women that could fight to.

youtube.com/watch?v=VjPtTXtdDvA

start at 2:10

Forgot pic

I have a few questions:
Are Illyrians and Celts the same thing?
Are Illyrians Indo-European?
Is the Basque language the last of a pre IndonEuropean civilization?
who were the pre indo european inhabitants od Europe?

Thanks.

oh I think that's Brittany aswell, also part of the Atlantic Arc of Celtic nations left in Europe.

Dacians > Celts > Island Celts

Feminists sure love wiccan bullshit.

Father sun > Mother moon

I love threads like these. Why can't we have more threads like these?

They're so hard to come by these days.

>Are Illyrians and Celts the same thing?

No seperate grouping

>Are Illyrians Indo-European?

Yes

>Is the Basque language the last of a pre IndonEuropean civilization?

In linguistic terms? Yes. But Finns are not Indo-European either. Depends what you want to define as Europe.

>who were the pre indo european inhabitants od Europe?

Not sure. Its a facinating question though.

Everything we know about Carthage comes from the Romans. You were wrong

Probably true since Åland is pretty much a fucking reservation where Swedes are basically gods allowed to say fuck you to all others.

>who were the pre indo european inhabitants

Who were the Picts?

Bretons are not descendants of Gauls, but rather Britons fleeing the Anglo-Saxons.

Gallacian is not a Celtic language either. Latin one. Common misconception.

According to Aristotle, most "belligerent nations" were strongly influenced by their women, but the Celts were unusual because their men openly preferred male lovers (Politics II 1269b)

>who were the pre indo european inhabitants od Europe?
Post-Mesolithic pre-Indo-European West-Central-Southern Europeans were genetically similar to Sardinians. They have unearthed bodies from Ireland to Spain, Germany to Hungary to Greece, Italy and Anatolia, and roughly all of them were genetically similar to Sardinians.

Linguistically they were possibly like the Basque, but it's also possible that the Basque language arrived during the Bronze Age upheaval.
>Is the Basque language the last of a pre IndonEuropean civilization?
Obviously, but that doesn't guarantee it's very ancient either.

>abo's reading comprehension

I'm not

but isn't doesn't Breton hold a similar status to Cornwall in the Uk? I mean it has a unique culture that goes way back, no?

Tell me more? A timeline of events would be wonderful.
Thanks pham. I started reading Herodotus and I'm hooked on the subject matter now.