Things normies think happened in comics

Flash Thompson bullied Peter Parker

>This thread again.

But he did bully him.

In his early appearances, Eugene "Flash" Thompson was a high school classmate of Peter Parker. In high school, Flash was a stereotypical jock who continually bullied Peter. Flash was physically abused by his alcoholic father Harrison Thompson, leading to Flash's own violent, bullying nature.[2] Thompson dubbed Peter with the derogatory nickname "Puny Parker" and humiliated Parker daily in front of the whole school. Ironically, Flash admired Spider-Man (Peter Parker) and formed the first "Spider-Man Fan Club" and vocally supports his idol wherever he goes, even criticizing J. Jonah Jameson and the Daily Bugle editorials to his face. When Spider-Man was seen committing robberies, Flash was one of the few to stand up for him claiming that he could still be innocent. It soon turned out that Spider-Man had been framed by Mysterio and Flash boasted about how he was always right. Peter, who openly stated that he would not "trust [Spider-Man] any further than I can throw him", took some secret pleasure in that Flash supported his alter-ego.[3]

So you are a normie?

Is this what counts as bullying these days?

They dissed each other regularly

He did in high school, they don't become bros until Flash gets back from Vietnam

No, saying mean things on the internet counts as bullying these days. What Flash did in the '60s would be assault by today's standards and would really in his expulsion, today. In New York, he'd probably be prosecuted, too.

Peter did beat him too user

As retaliation after he got his powers.

He started out bullying him, beating him up, stealing his lunch money. THEN they became friends. He was also suspecting Pete of being Spiderman and he had to get increasingly more creative to fool him.

Then he got his legs blown off.

Most "normies" wouldn't even know who Flash Thompson is, I oughta know. Since whenever I tell people ol Venom ain't Brock and he's Flash now, I get a "who?"

Flash was his bully pre-spider bite. Peter grew a backbone after that and would push back

In a school sanctioned boxing match

also in the alley

So was OP the normie all along?

What a twist...

>>Barry was/is a good character

Since the OP started off wrong, I'll start with something correct...

Normies generally think that Superman only ever loved Lois Lane, which is false. Superman also shared a love interest with Lana Lang.

He really isn't. The bullying thing was really amped up in the movies. It wasn't even nearly that bad and Peter stood up for himself.

Lana was his love interest for like 7 seasons on Smallville

Peter thought he did, but Flash was just the only person that actually gave a shit about Peter.

He boosted himself by putting Peter down sometimes, but Peter brought it on himself for being a huge cunt to everyone else in high school.

That fucker is going to scare the fish away. What a douchebag.

I..was not aware of this, never been much of spider-fan. Could you explain further?

Not that user, but basically Peter thought everyone else was dumb and he was probably better because he was smart and he cared about school. He's basically Doctor Octopus and he would still be if Uncle Ben and Gwen didn't die, which taught him about responsibility and shit.

Yeah they even boxed once in those Lee/Ditko issues

>Lois Lane
>Lana Lang
>Both names are 8 letters.
>Both being with L's.

What the fuck's going on here?

Flash did bully him, but Peter was kind of an antisocial cunt, not a quiet nerd. So the dynamic is different than most would expect.

...Is there a What If about that scenario?

Lori Lemaris, too, and pre-crisis Lyla Lerrol.

This is complete bullshit

I read the comics and I like literally every version of the Flash, including Barry.

And don't forget Lex Luthor.

oh shit

I think I just figured it out.

L is the latin numeral 50. L... L... so fifty fifty, or fifty twice, or fifty times two.

Fifty... two.

Otto comments on it in Superior Spidey, when he compares his life with Peter's memories

names with a gimmick are easier to remember

>The Joker killed Batman's parents

Who ever thought that? All 3 movies that show Bats's past show a random thief killing them, and I think Gotham does it as well.

>hawkeye is useless.

>batman knows 127 martial arts

Batman literally says it out loud in the Burton movie

>Batman consistently says "I'm Batman"
>John is the only or at least the first Green Lantern
>Black Widow is relevant

And such

nah, most normies know who joe chill is

Not really. Flash Thompson tells Peter this in some story from the seventies or eighties.

That's more than five tens...

Flash is honestly one of the greatest supporting characters in cape comics. He's fucking great in almost everything, even in the 90s cartoon where he gets to nail Deb Whitman.

>Jarvis is a computer

To be fair if he wasn't they'd just mix him up with Alfred, and not without good cause.

>Ironman is competent/relevant

There's that one also.

Masaka!

If you read Ditko's Spider-Man and have a decent social life after the age of 22, Flash and Peter are very clear and understandable characters.

Flash is a clown. The jokester, the prankster, the guy who always tries to court attention because he has issues with his own confidence. He has an active social life but he doesn't really have any close friends.

Peter's stuck in his own little world. Before the spider it was because he was a bookworm with a rough childhood, but afterwards it's mostly because of his superheroics. He's also a huge cunt who has problems empathizing with other people, though, and constantly thinks about how the other kids are assholes to him when they're just being kids or doesn't understand why a girl would be upset about being stood up for a date.

Flash is CONSTANTLY engaging Peter, half the time to boost his own fragile ego and the other half because he actually wants the guy to be a pal. He consistently shows signs a growing friendship with him over their high school days despite Peter constantly brushing him aside and generally being a dick and they actually share a subtle, mutual confidence with each other.

It may not have been intentional on Stan's part (and DEFINITELY not on Ditko's part), but Flash and Peter's relationship is very much the "wait, you didn't hate me?" experience that a lot of kids have once they grow up.

Later stories by other writers more heavily push the bully aspect, but under Ditko and Stan Flash was just a stubborn, hotblooded kid who teased and palled around with Peter.

Granted it's been a few years since I read Lee and Ditko's Spidey, but that is what I remember. Maybe you're complete bullshit?

Betty and Veronica hate each other and fight over Archie. This was canon at one point but hasn't appeared in the main comics since... The 60s probably. They're best friends who like the same guy. The Afterlife with Archie and Riverdale guys brought it back because they apparently hate Ronnie. The reboot also uses iirc but that's because it starts with an origin story.

In the first year of Ditko's run, Peter:

>Wanted to rob banks but only stopped because he was scared of what would happen to Aunt May if he got caught.
>Momentarily took delight in the idea of Flash being murdered.
>Stood Liz Allen up on a date, came back an hour later and went "HEY ACTUALLY MY SCHEDULE FREED UP" and was baffled when she didn't like being treated like her world should revolve around him.
>Got Betty Brant's brother fucking shot and then COMPLAINED at him for getting in his way as he bled out and died.

Dude was a cunt.

Dr. Strange never bargained with Dommaru.

A lot of Flash's antagonism is also bound up in his insecurities about Liz Allen showing a romantic interest in Peter's newfound confidence. Peter goes from a guy he's known since they were kids to some weird aspy bookworm to this angry aggressive flake and then HIS girlfriend likes him. He's constantly making fun of Peter to try and shore up his own flailing social position and his ever fragile confidence. Those feelings of inadequacy when his classmates are graduating and going off to college and also the inspiration of Spider-Man's own heroics which have such a large impression on him are what makes him decide to join the army. A tour or two of Vietnam after that really matures him out and Peter, who's lost Gwen by this point and gone through a lot of shit with Harry, find they have a surprising amount in common. A few years later he's the best man at Peter's marriage to MJ.

yes he did what the fuck

>"[X] character is exactly like they are in the cartoon/movie."

Every time. It's hard to explain to people that guys like Artemis Crock and Wonder Woman are portrayed differently in adaptations. Heck, many people think Beast Boy's YJ origin is his comic origin.

>Dick and Babs were always love interests

No, that didn't happen until the 90s.

Oh man, I just realized that they aren't sisters. I swore her name was "Lana Lane".

Nah, people know Hal. He was in Superfriends, Young Justice, the movie, and GLTAS. He's appeared enough to be mainstream.

When I was a kid I thought Flash Gordon was a grown up Flash from Spider-Man for some strange reason.

Now Flash Thompson is a saviour of the universe, spooky.

>Agent Venom
>Savior of the Universe
>Fastest man alive

>Those 3D assets
No wonder the book got cancelled.

Everyone and their mum thinks WW's main love interest is Batman thanks to JL and JLU. It's a shame Steve hasn't stuck in the public consciousness like Lois or Selena.

Steve can go fuck off with his planes.

This is actually in-character for Spidey, think about it...
What's his origin story?
Wanted to screw someone over and decided to let a criminal run free, then that same criminal murders Uncle Ben, guilt-ridden by this he decides to atone by taking up a life of crime-fighting.
He's only a superhero because he was a petty asshole to people and it came back to bite him in the ass.

Also, this whole "Spiderman's moral virtue is beyond reproach" is just another normie myth.

I've never heard anyone say that in real life.

Nah, everyone thinks it's Superman.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it's weird that they even created Eddie when Flash was perfect to inherit the symbiote as a misled antihero to begin with. Pretty much everything good about Eddie-Venom would have been better if it was Flash coping with the similar but conflicted feelings shared by himself and the symbiote.

He really was pretty close to being a supervillain.

But the "Spider-Man's moral virtue is beyond reproach" thing is kind of accurate now, right? He's changed a lot.

I never said otherwise, doofus.

But by the 80's Peter had actually matured to the point that he was a legitimately good person. A bit socially retarded, but a man of very strong moral fiber.

And then the 90's happened and he punched his pregnant wife.

Pretty much.

See
By the mid-late 80's Spidey was a pretty solid face. He had human flaws, but he was a morally strong man. The death of his robo-parents and the Clone Saga really fucked up his character, but JMS's run tried to kind of come back around to the late 80's characterization. Then OMD happened and he's been early college Peter with 80's Peter's witicisms running around in a 30 year old body ever since.

>Peter Parker was one radioactive spider bite away from shooting up a school

classic white people.

Peter Parker started changing from an anti-social, introverteted asshole when Ditko left, even. You can tell just how much Ditko scripted the early run by how fucking different the comic becomes when Stan takes over fully and Romita just draws

Peter was still introverted and kind of an asshole for quite a few years. He just wasn't a huge cunt after The Final Chapter.

If he really had his morality head on straight would he begin every Civil War on the wrong side of basic ethical principle?
Would he constantly be screwing up his personal life with his bullshit?
No.
Doofus?
First of all, I'm not that user you're trying to pick a fight with.
Second, I WAS FUCKING AGREEING WITH YOU, so yeah, way to pick your battles.
And given this turn of events, what makes YOU such a good judge of moral behavior???

>Civil War
Everyone becomes retarded during events

>First of all, I'm not that user you're trying to pick a fight with.
>Second, I WAS FUCKING AGREEING WITH YOU, so yeah, way to pick your battles.
...?

user, are you like autistic or something? I was saying that, yeah, it's totally in character for him to be a douche. I just added that by the 80's he was a different character. Don't know why you're taking it like an insult.

You called him a doofus, user...

The exception to that rule: Hulk.

most comic fans don't even know that

He's not in most of them

>John is the only or at least the first Green Lantern
No there a lot of people that thought Green Lantern was always a black guy

>deadpool is funny

Everyone online seems to think WW is in love with Batman. If they're super casual they might say Superman though.

No surprise there

it's great

You played yourself...

You're the normie...

Why does he always have that grin

Normies don't even know who Flash Thompson ks

"Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?"

The Batman movie who brought back the movie franchise after the 60/70s, shows Joker as the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents. This movie taught the normals that. Later movies did away with this, but there is no telling what normies of this generation think cause I'm an old neckbeard and never deal with them if I can help it.

>muh childhood is better than yours

...When did you start reading comics?

He used to be a goddamn powerhouse. He shared the top title with Thor and the Hulk, and he was the only one a street level guy might run into. He was scary. He was masculine. He was competent.

Re-reading the old comics - which I am doing - makes reading the modern ones an even worse torture.

It never stops.

my god

the hypercrisis

I want off of morrison's wild ride

It's not really a new shocking twist

Does that mean his relationship with Batman is doomed to fail?

House of M: SpiderMan

>I swore her name was "Lana Lane".
Maybe you're thinking of Lucy Lane?

He'll save every one of us

Thugboy?

Oh I get it.
Normies think:
>Batman is Bruce Wayne
>Captain America has a shield
>Iron Man has a suit
>The Flash is fast
>Green Lantern has a ring