Why did the Legend of Korra writers switch the genders of Yin and Yang...

Why did the Legend of Korra writers switch the genders of Yin and Yang? I thought Yang represented masculinity and light while Yin represented femininity and darkness.

taking inspiration from real life doesnt mean ripping it off word for word

Because women can't be evil you silly fuccboi :^)

Sounds boring and cliche.

Because Bryke are sjw, the evil has to be the man.

Also It could be because they forgot, they went full retard in Korra more than once.

Probably because both masculinity and darkness are associated with chaos and aggression while femininity and light are associated with purity and calmness. That's also why Vaatu has red and Raava has blue

Because that historical belief is problematic and needs to be worked around.

so this is your daily korra hate thread

You can't rip off the truth, pleb.

this. Raava dies first so it places more emphasis on the heroes of the story to prevail against seemingly impossible odds. Doesn't make Jinora's intervention any less dumb, though.

Not in terms of Yin and Yang, which is what Vaatu and Raava are based off of. Yin is dark and feminine and Yang is light and masculine.

Masculinity isn't this inherently evil thing for the record. Just because aggression is a part of it doesn't mean that it's automatically evil.

FEMENISM

Nigga, that's what OP is saying.

>Doesn't make Jinora's intervention any less dumb, though.
Doesn't make the whole setup any less dumb as a whole.
The threat was a navy that Korra should have been able to stomp into the ocean and still spare their lives. But she has to go get help when ultimately the people that would have helped her in the first place end up with her anyway taking down the usurpers.

Why did they make dark generic evil and light generic good? Probably because they're hacks.

Also having a penis shaped spirit live inside your female protagonist is already weird, adding a male voice would make it weirder.

They fucking butchered the concepts of yin and yang with more western ideals of good and evil.

They're supposed to be inherently neutral, with "evil" only coming about from an imbalance of them. Yang purely represents activity, and Yin purely represents passivity. You can be actively cruel to someone or actively helpful. You can be passively neglectful to someone or passively useless. Even when it comes to light and darkness it makes sense. Obviously too much light melts your face off, and too little you cant see at all.

They infused shitty cliche associations of darkness = evil and light = good into it and made it lame. Obviously total order is as awful as total chaos but they went the low rode with the mythology and made it god vs the devil.

Yea, it's a common theme in many theologies. But people will do anything to serve their purposes.

I am the OP.

Really I was just wondering why they mixed it up in the end. I'm just kinda tired of people labeling masculinity as this thing that's awful and disgusting unless a woman has it.

This pretty much encapsulates my opinion on the whole situation.

And the classical chinese elements are wood, fire, earth, metal and water, I don't see you bitching about this

Because they can't write.

>DARKNESS IS BAD
>Raava becomes weaker when separated from Vaatu but Vaatu stays the same/gets stronger
>it's cliche good vs evil and not neutral

This should've never been made.

Males are a classical representation of aggression in western culture while women are associated with gentleness.

Wood and metal fit with Earth.

>raava, the female, loses is dependent on vaatu, the male
>vaatu, the male gets stronger and more powerful when separated from raava, the female
LOL

>going with basic visual imagery makes you a hack

Fucking what?

You're a fucking retard. Using visual imagery doesn't mean you have to shit all over the cultures you're using for inspiration.

But there's no air. And the only wood being bent is the penis.

Taking inspiration from something doesn't mean you have to be a slave to it. They didn't shit over anything.

I agree it was underwhelming for a number of reasons but this is just ridiculous.

Where did they get the air part from anyhow? I'm curious.

Probably the classical elements from ancient greece

Idk man, lights fairly chaotic.

>t. Neutralfag

dat giant robot tho

What I don't get is why the light one is the good one. Yang was the destructive one, where as Yin was the creative one. If anything, keeping them in their original roles would have worked just as well.

Reminder that the scene where the LionTurtle gave Wan(g) the ability to firebend with no prior training was the moment the writers decided to throw all TLA bending lore into a wood chipper feeding into a furnace.

Because it would be awkward for a deep voiced black dude to be coming in and out of korra throughout book 2.

Holy hell that's hilarious.

This.

Can't have a show calling anything female that is also associated with chaos or even evil. Nope, can't do that.

Azula says otherwise, user.

Because Bryke never put any thought into anything and just put shit that's "cool"

The Lion Turtle only gave Wan the power to firebend. Wan had to learn to actually bend Fire.

The Aye-aye's term "Fire-tosser" is more accurate for what Wan and the other people from his Lion turtle were.

FUCK YOU RWBY
KORRA + RWBY CROSSOVER WHEN

what about P'li, Ming Hua, Suyin, and Kuvira?

>dark avatar

i still can't believe they went there

Best post

>the woman is the dark and cold one
The chinks were ahead of their time.

TOP KEK

Except Wan's proficiency with the element is incredible even with no prior training. See pic related, where he's created a sustained ring of fire whirling around him, AND has a fireball ready to go in his hand, with absolutely no effort exerted at all. Certainly not what you'd expect from a simple "Fire-tosser".

>vaatu, the male gets stronger and more powerful when separated from raava, the female

But how about Future Trunks? He is the stronger DB character and he has a girlfriend

they forgot it is the current year

>Mai
>A girl

What

One of these things is not like the others.
Kuvira dindu nuffin.

Well duh, he was destined to be the Avatar, and he was likely feeding off of his anger of the Chu's. Of course he's going to be able to create a large amount of fire.

But prior to him learning from the dragon, he never shows once ounce of actual bending. He's just tossing the fire around and desperately trying to survive.

It's similar to how Kung Fu Panda was very, very well researched in terms of Chinese motifs and symbolism, but it still took some liberties for the sake of a western audience. A good example is how they went with the color red for sinister characters, even though China considers it a positive color.

Although in this specific case, it's the western concept of "darkness vs light" with the words "yin and yang" slapped on.

I'm not talking about how much fire he created, I'm talking about the degree of control he has over it. With no training whatsoever he was able to create, maintain, and then extinguish the fire ring while not even paying attention to it.
In comparison, the first time Aang tries firebending (After receiving a very, very small amount of training), he can't control it and ends up injuring Katara. It makes no sense that Wan would be so adept at controlling it at that point.

Aang was being an idiot, while Wan had proper respect for the power of fire despite no experience in how to manipulate it.