I just finished watching Whiplash. What's your opinion on it?

I just finished watching Whiplash. What's your opinion on it?

it was a movie

Decent movie anchored by a great performance.

Not quite my tempo.

NOT MY FUCKING TEMPO

I'M UPSET!!!

epic post my dude

>are you Russian or are you Dragon?
It was nice of Fletcher to let Miles pick first, but why were they playing a fighting video game in a prestigious music academy? that scene took away my immersion.

it dragged a little bit
or was it rushing?

Showed how crazy talented Chazelle is. To write the script, work on the music, direct and not only direct, but direct a veteran actor to an Oscar-winning performance. All that at 29. His second festure. All around great drama film with excellent performances. Gets 2 thumbs up from me.

simmons was good. the rest of the movie was shit

>festure
lol what an idiot

>I just finished watching Whiplash. What's my opinion on it?

ftfy

pretty much.

it gets so outlandish and unrealistic where all the flaws are heightened by it, but simmons great acting makes it worth a watch.

I don't want to watch it because it's about music and I hate movies about music. But I also hear it's a great movie so I'm torn. I know it's not a musical but the whole arts world as a setting for movies just doesn't work for me, be it music or ballet or whatever.

I think the director did a good job

Funny, I'm the opposite. My heart is drawn to arts.

I thought it FUCKING SUCKED but I thoroughly and honestly enjoyed La La Land.

The true patrician recognizes that Whiplash was dishonest film-making made for plebeians while La La Land was a well done, sincere ode to musical romance films and Los Angeles.

I like arts too, I read and listen to classical music etc. but I just think movies about it are boring. Same with sports, have always enjoyed them but absolutely hate sports movies, even historical biographies.

Not really about music, it's about the teacher and the student

What about amadeus?

Haven't seen it, nor Pianist. I admit I have a problem but I can't help it. It's not even a Sup Forums thing with degenerate liberals or whatever, I just find it very hard to relate to any of the characters in these movies about the art world.

fuck off Chazelle you already have 1 oscar

He barely plays the piano in the Pianist

I like the dinner scene and FUCK OFF JOHNNY UTAH TURN MY PAGES BITCH

It's actually one of my favorite films of all time. I feel like every scene serves a purpose.

I don't care whether or not it's realistic, I never thought about it nor did I find it grating.

I hate musicals but I enjoyed the musical performances in this.

I felt it dealt with timely and important themes, also well addressed in the film Searching for Bobby Fischer.

kill yourself

Rude

Also J.K. Simmons was fuckin intense. And you have to admit the car crash scene was poignant.

its premise is based on the lie that you will become as talented as buddy rich thru practicing till ur hands bleed

that was retarded and i couldnt get over it the entire movie. then it also makes up fake stories about jazz players.

Why not share your opinion instead?

kill yourselfs

I felt it was about how this is NOT the case. And at the end I felt it was demonizing this view that abuse is a good motivational tool and you should be an egotistical dick.

In a way it was a horror story because the main character actually ended up thinking this method was legitimate and probably turning into a piece of shit just like Fletcher. I highly doubt that Chazelle agrees that you should leave the scene of a car crash to go play drums.

In no way was it saying this makes you "cool" or encouraging it, at least in my interpretation.

having fletcher nod in acknowledgement of whoever the main characters name was at the end of the movie pretty much completely ruined it for me

like why are we still supposed to empathize with his character at that point? he turned out to be a complete hack and a manipulative pussy. the main character shouldn't have continued to play when he started conducting him as if he was still his teacher.

this is not a problem of analyzing a movie, its a clear direction mistake.

>3 years ago, I came across a kid in a practice room working on his cowboy stance. He was early 2nd year and he'd started at the Agency with a lot of hope...like all you guys. But the truth was he was barely called in to begin with and uhh....he was really struggling. The people in charge here were all telling him "Maybe this isn't for you"...but they didn't see what I saw...a scared small guy cursing himself because he couldn't figure out if he should shoot a man before or after throwing him out of a plane. I saw a master plan in him, and I put him in his own Studio Plane. And when he graduated, Ittin made him third agent at the CIA. A year later he was CIA. And that's who you're all dressed as now.

>His name was Bill Wilson..... I find out this morning that....Bill....died yesterday...in a plane crash....no survivors. They found him in the wreckage...and uhh..I just....I wanted you guys to know.... that he was a big guy.............I just wanted you guys to know.

>I don't think people understood what I was doing on Sup Forums. I wasn't there to meme. Any fucking redditor can wave his arms and produce a meme. I was there to push people beyond what's expected of them. I believe that is... an absolute necessity. Otherwise, we're depriving the world of the next Bane. The next Sheev. I told you about how Bane became a big guy, right?

jesus thats a classic

I really hate the pudgy fuck who leads the movie but simmons was great.

top zozz

>holy kek
seriously fuck you dude

quality post mayn

Amazing.

i fucking love the movie

it's well paced and well acted, and is edited masterfully

retards

i never get tired of hearing those first five seconds of that song

>the movie
>
>