Was this scene the biggest cop-out in the history of cinema?

Was this scene the biggest cop-out in the history of cinema?

>Early cuts featured a subplot about Korr Sella, played by Maisie Richardson-Sellers, Leia's envoy who is pleading the New Republic's support against the First Order and is killed in the destruction of the Hosnian System. All of her scenes were cut to avoid evoking the political aspects of the prequel trilogy and she's only seen for a split-second in the final movie.

establishing a star wars universe with interesting stuff going on and reasons for things happening were the only good thing to come out of the prequels and they just shat non everything, remade New Hope for kids and didn't even have the fucking decency to explain anything at all. You need to fucking google and read a wiki until you get some explanation why things are happening. What the fuck is this 40k?
Fuck Disney and everybody who just wants to sell toys.

This
Also, people didn't dislike the prequels because of the politics, they disliked them because of the characters. Even New Hope had more political exposition than TFA. Remember the conference scene? Fuck Disney and fuck this tepid, boring, superfluous rehash

What do you expect? Literally every shot of this movie would have gone through several rounds of focus testing and the average person gives no shit about anything that happens in a movie that isn't CGI fight scenes.
All Disney movies are made with this same scientific level precision to hit maximum marketability

I thought it was epic bacon.

What bothers me most about this scene is the fact that somehow they can see all this destruction happening from a planet in another system. And for some reason they exactly know which target was hit without checking a star chart. In broad daylight too, so there wouldn't even be stars visible to make an educated guess. Most stupid thing I've ever seen in a movie.

they intentionally went with "just turn your brain off bro" because apparently that did best in focus tests.
fuck audiences i guess

Most people that dislike the prequels are because they don't like shit movies.

people disliked the prequels because of just about everything about the prequels.

TFA was literally no better, people only like it because they are told to

>magicaly split one laser beam into several seconds before impact
nice physics

>Make a death star that can destroy multiple planets
>But it needs to suck up a star to work
>Sucking up a solar system's star would also destroy multiple planets
They didn't really think it through, did they?

>DURR POLITICS BAD BECAUSE PREQUELS HAVE
Jesus fuck JewJew Binks

TFA didn't seem like it was directed by ed wood and it didn't have a jarjar or child actor as the central focus.

>reminder that people loved the prequels when they came out
>Simon Pegg ranting about how much he hated TPM in Spaced was considered edgy and contrarian at the time
Fucking RLM drones have always been the real cancer on this site

It didn't have any central focus at all. It felt more like a Star Wars museum than a movie. The "characters" were just vehicles to move us from one iconic Star Wars prop to the next

>hey, stop building that star-sucker thing in our solar system
>"no"
>well we tried.

Can it not travel? If not that's even worse. And does that mean they spent years building it only a couple galaxies away from the new republics capital? They excavated half the planet; There's no way no one wouldn't notice that, especially if space dirt trucks were flying by the capital on a daily basis.

You need to understand what JJ Abrams returning to SW actually means. They're setting up a new trilogy immediately after 9. So he's there to drop more mystery boxes and a cliffhanger. Snoke was just a puppet, the real villain is Thanos or any stupid shit he will come up with. They're gonna milk the franchise hard until it makes less than $500 millions at the BO.

>couple galaxies away
What?

>talentless hack makes shit movies to siphon more money off thoughtless consumers
Classic star wars

Oh no, I said galaxy instead of solar system, whoop dee doo.

>new trilogy
I don't even think they are making trilogies anymore, notice how the movies aren't called 'Episode 7/8/9' anymore, just Star Wars: The Title. I think they are just planning on making a continuous series, making a new movie and changing the cast every now and then.

>Right before the death-ray fires Hux says:
"This is the last day of the republic"

This movie is clearly JJ trying to retcon the prequels.

The line dismissing the possibility of a Clone Army and the thing about The Empire, The Sith and The First Order just being different faces of evil are pretty clearly trying to retcon everything in Star Wars

Who cares about the boring talking stuff? It was an epic moment

Or because being lazy rehashes still qualifies them as consistently made movies as opposed to jarring messes of boring nonsense politicising, cartoon rabbit shenanigans and appallingly bad romantic montages. 4/10 is better than 1/10.

Don't let it happen again

How did they even pitch this?
>Dude it's like, the Death Star. But it's like bigger lmao. Like, the size of a planet bruh. And it can kill whole buncha planets at once. Also it cant move and uses stars as fuel it can only fire exactly twice rofl.

Also they can see the planets getting destroyed in broad fucking daylight like they're on the same system or something. Starkiller base was the most retardedad shit they could have possibly come up with.

JJ and Kasdan are hacks. HACKS!

>romantic montages
Name a single romantic montage in any of the prequels.
You sound like you took those complaint s from random bits of RLM and decided to go with them, thinking they would work. Also, your silly scale system aside, you still don't account for the fact that Phantom Menace was clearly overseen by a human with at least a vision, while the TFA was just munched up mathematically and plastered into a soulless abomination.
Fuck you and your embarassing understanding of film.

JJ Abrams is basically the blockbuster equivalent of a poor man's ed wood (i.e. An asylum director)

>han and the gang could see this in the sky

wut

JJ did the same retarded shit in his Star Trek films. He makes the scale feel so small. Everything seems to be in very close proximity to each other.

>take's the empire's extensive resources and decades worth of research and construction to produce a weapon capable of destroying a planet
>making something 10 times more powerful can be done by a bunch of jackasses

dude just turn your brain off and buy the toys lmao

If they wanted to change radically they wouldn't call JJ abrams back. Kathleen Kennedy want more of that stronk womyn Daisy Dudley. New villains, and she will continue her adventures

>Was this scene the biggest cop-out in the history of cinema?
Yes. But not for the reasons you describe. Just because there's no point in using the lazors. All those planets are so close together that they're just going tear eachother apart due to tidal forces and be rendered uninhabitable in the next few minutes anyway. Save your laser battery and let nature take its course.

arr rook the same

I predicted when TFA came out almost every major issue that would eventually come to the surface and people would see it for the shit movie it was. I made this the night I saw it. I will now state that the full extent of just how bad TFA was is STILL not fully being grasped and may not be fully able to be grasped by the majority of people until the next movies are out and the full context of how awful the whole new trilogy is can be realized.

When people really start putting it under a microscope, they're going to discover there is a market to be tapped in calling it out on its shit the same way there was a market for calling the prequels out on their shit. Starkiller base is absolutely awful, but it is awful on so many levels and it is one of many things about TFA that is awful but whose awfulness is only superficially understood.

due haah you're so right lmao cant wait for this bb8 funko pop xD

>Even New Hope had more political exposition
Well no movie can be perfect. But at least it was only one scene.

>reminder that people loved the prequels when they came out
Were you 5 at the time? Because IIRC Jarjar & Co were the butt of every joke for years after TPM came out.

one of the things I did like about the prequels was they kept certain things toned down compared to the original trilogy

they don't have superweapons that make the death star look like a bitch, instead their space battles have a large number of ships drastically less powerful than anything in the original trilogy

>Oh no, I said galaxy instead of solar system, whoop dee doo.
No worries, I think they're pretty much the same thing

>All of her scenes were cut

So they had scenes shot that would explain why I would give a fuck about the 5 planets that got blown up? Whoever was in the editing room and decided to leave those out should never be allowed to work in that capacity again.

Also, this. What irks me even more about Starkiller Base was that it was merely a distraction to the plot. TFA started out as "we gotta find Luke Skywalker, here's part of a fucking map to him". Instead of some race to reach him, while searching for clues, out of nowhere comes the Ultra Death Star that happens to roast 5 planets no one has heard about before (nudge nudge read the supplementary material olol) and they go out and destroy it with the help of a janitor trooper.

The Death Star in ANH was the centerpiece of the entire movie. It was built up as a threat and throughout the whole movie people were working towards dealing with this threat. In TFA, an even bigger weapon of destruction turns up and they go "lol there's gotta be an oscillator, lets blow the whole thing up with a few hand grenades that do extra damage because named characters set them up". Afterwards, we go back to the actual plot, finding Luke, by R2D2 randomly booting up after years of inactivity, in the resistance HQ no less. Did they keep him there all these years just in case?

The first order still to this day does not make any fucking sense

That was a good scene though.

How are so many important planets that close together?
How can their destruction be seen all the way on the outer Takodona?
How can the main characters see the destruction of these planets in real time when they're half a galaxy away from the Hosnia system?

The Phantom Menace was better than this crap.

Is it true that Abrams did TFA without having any clue about the overall story arc of the 3 movies? He basically just went in and set a bunch of shit up and then leaves it to someone else to figure out how to make sense of it all.

Jesus Christ

>whole planets get destroyed
>literally never seen before and only the name was brought up once during a casual conversation which most people missed
>G-G-GOOD WRITING
I can't believe that people will only claim that the film's only flaw was that it was a copy of ANH. It wasn't, it was really bad copy. Even ANH made Alderaan important to the plot and not just a cheap plot device.

Yes. That's why episode 8 went through heavy rewrites just to fix it.

The thing is they had this huge 3d map of the galaxy with a tiny piece missing and the only way for them to wrap their heads around as to where to seach for Luke is R2D2 filling out that blank.

>4/10 is better than 1/10
Actually no. Which would you rather watch, a movie so bad it's enjoyable, or a mediocre movie that doesn't shit itself in hilarious ways?

Looks like you didn't even bother to read OP's post. See

>that part in ST: Into Darkness where Enterprise gets shot out of warp but still ends up just couple of minutes away from Earth

Makes you think

Seems so atleast. It wasn't even soulless design by commitee and focus groups, instead they simply threw all sorts of shit at the wall and waited to see what sticks.

Humanoid aliens are so shit, start using more "alien" aliens Hollywood

The way the movie presented it, I got the impression that they didn't even have access to R2D2's map part as long as the droid was in shut down mode. R2D2 powered up and CP3O went "WTF, you got a map to Master Luke!?" Then he projects the entire galaxy with the bit from BB8 missing. If the map was save with R2D2 the entire time, why even cut out a piece in the first place and hide it with some old dude in a desert?

Also why have two parts of the map at all? You would be able to use either part to find what you are looking for

it's true, all of it

Because who cares? This is typical JJ hackery. The plot structure takes the backseat in favor or loud action scenes, where the characters run around in a lazy effort to make it seem like the story is progressing.

Man, I knew the designs sucked ass, but that is lazy.

>I guess my line of thought was that it was a cool Goonies type thing for my struggling friends to do while fighting this, I'm told, difficult war. Maybe I should've left a phone number or something. Also, I guess I shouldn't have fucked off to middle of nowhere after fucking up so badly and letting my friends deal with my mistakes. But, I really wanted to go to planet Ireland and check out these bitchin' Jedi temples. Live and learn, kids. Live. And. Learn.
>So, what else is new? How's my buddy Han? Surely nothing happened to him with his deranged darksider son on the loose.

The cinematography and the action aren't even good, they're actually pretty awful. Makes me sick when normies admit the story sucked but it was visually good. NO, even at that he failed, and this scumbag is coming back. Evryone at Lucasfilm hates him, he will be working with his fellow kikes at bad robot.

>"That was awesome"

I don't quite agree with Johnson here. It's kinda insulting when you find out that a movie heavy with setting up mysteries and questions has no overarching plan to it at all and that all those mysteries are empty shells without meaning. Trying to piece together revelations from hints is futile, because there isn't anything to reveal if you just make shit up as you go along and there's always the possibility looming that all comes down crashing and burning, if you don't manage to make it all fit together at the end. I don't require every detail and sub plot planned out in advance, but I'd like the main story to know where it's headed. In other words, I'd like someone to have put thought into it, instead of doing everything and see what sticks and then go with that.

That honestly reads like something Mark Hamill would say for real about the movie

> it was visually good
When normies say that it literally just means good CGI

The CGI was shit too.

Do you like pottery guys?

This is GOTG-tier, and even then it wouldn't look as shitty. Also
>0:25
>Daisy and Finn just standing there watching a man get killed
It's like they're watching a movie, and not a deadly alien 10 feet away from them

I read it in his voice

There was a romantic montage in AotC. However, I agree that TFA was just as bad as the prequels, maybe worse.

This was like a rejected Riddick scene. It doesn't look or feel like Star Wars at all. It's even worse because it wastes The Raid guys.

In spite of the politics, not because of it.

What's up with this ridiculous idea that people only hate the prequels because of RLM?
The RLM reviews became popular because they did a great job of articulating what people were already thinking. They didn't create people's negative opinions of the prequels.

The Raid guys were only included so they could include it in their marketing. I remember articles about it and people getting hyped, then after watching the movie you realise how dishonest it was

>have the raid guys in the film
>kills them without letting them fight
>have Max von Sydow
>kills him before the film even started, no introduction, non nothing, just dead
>have Mark Hamill
> gives him 20 seconds screentime at the end of the film, no line
JJ Abrams is an absolute piece of shit, it's like he trying hard to do everything wrong.

>What's up with this ridiculous idea that people only hate the prequels because of RLM?
Blame it on Razorfist and Movieblob.

>The CGI was shit too.
Absolutely. Not only that, but this entire scene was filler. Not even fun, worldbuilding filler, but dull cheap-looking filler. I have no idea what it was supposed to add to the movie other than just some loud "action".

No it wasnt. They're both utter shit. A wstery turd is no better than a nutty turd. The entire franchise is more shit than good at this point m

People hated the prequels before RLm, myself included. However, the RLM reviews were completely dishonest and would take little bits of the movie completely out of context and ridicule them, the "sand" line for example. You can do this shit with practically any movie. Worse they should have done that with TFA, but they didn't , they bashed George Lucas during more than half their review which makes me think they were on Disney payroll as early as their prequel reviews. These guys were unknown but Simon Pegg and other celebs gave them free publicity. There was a conspiracy to take Star Wars away from George once they knew he was considering giving it away. they knew it because Kathleen kennedy was snitching on him. They are making billions on his back now.

>did a great job

You thinking that is your problem right there.

The fact that the system has planets so damn close to each other was really jarring to me.

I forgot that was a scene from the movie. God damn TFA is a mess. And people parroted "practical effects!!!!" over and over.

remember when people thought the raid guys would play as the knights of ren? Remember the the knights of ren?

Cutting a woman like this from the movie is a crime.

Every scene in TFA ends with characters escaping danger, only for the next scene to start the cycle over. The bad guys are merely there to create the conflict in order for the movie to progress to the next scene.

>implying it isn't all new politics that only millennials care about like "POOPOOPEEPEE" and femmypeenie whining

Actual intrique and interesting world building has been replaced with "LET GO OF MY HAND, SHITLORD!!! XD" And I for one couldn't be happier as a gender fluid progressive.

"practical effects!!!!"

All the aliens in the cantina are practical puppets...except for the main alien. We did an orange potato version of Yoda. It's female and is 2000 years old. And after all this time she was still working as a barrista!!!!!!!!!

>Hoth turrets can actually swivel

>The Last Numale turrets can only fire in a single direction

Where were you the day Star Wars died?

It's okay, the Nu-Empire are dumb enough to stay in the target line

This scene isn't Star Wars. Not even the prequels went this much full retard.

You guys know those LEGO games? So they have stories recreating famous movies but to employ LEGO bricks, sometimes they add some bits of comedic story. So this game has LITERALLY better writing and story than the movie. I'm not even being ironic

I hate how many arguments they make are based on assumptions they consider absolute truths in filmmaking when it's not.

No RLM. Not every film needs a Luke-like protagonist. A film is allowed to have multiple heroes aswell. Stop being ignorant.

Wait, did this shitpile of a movie try and imply that nobody has a complete map of the fucking galaxy?

Where is he now?