Universal’s Dark Universe is doing rather well thanks to China

>But while The Mummy was getting buried in America, it was wrapping up audiences in other locations. Most notably in China, where unlike its lukewarm US opening weekend, it debuted to a very impressive $51 million. It’s since gone on to make a rather lucrative $91.7 million, the largest earning for The Mummy from any market across the world by far. That total, combined with another noticeable $27 million from South Korea, has helped The Mummy to go past that magical “you’re probably getting a sequel” $400 million mark, which means that the Dark Universe is actually off to a good start no matter what you may think of the actual movie.

Just make Tom Cruise the main star of the Dark Universe already and bring back Sofia Boutella for a Mummy sequel!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dlL6Gov4l1s
nme.com/news/film/terminator-6-director-2140797
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Chinks have terrible taste in movies

Just wait to see DVD/Blu-Ray ksales. With this amount of bonus content (nearly equal to movie length) and fact, that Tom Cruise is undisputed king of home video entertainment, "Mummy" probably gonna end up among bestsellers.

Exactly this. The Mummy has so much features that it's amazing compared to other movies nowadays. Cruise really made sure it was packed with extras!

Paint it Black in the trailers turned me off from seeing the movie.

better than americucks

But they are right on this one

Nope, Chinks are far worse.

The dark universe is a fucking disaster. Cinematic universes were a mistake.

Same as Americlaps.

I beg to differ

Despite complains about 'building universe', WHICH WAS SUPPOSED TO DO, as announced long before premiere, I often seen these 'problems' about movie, in various reviews:

1. People were expecting Indiana Jones rip-off, similar to Brendan Frasier movies, set in early XX century. Actual movie provides totally diffrent story, loosly based on previous black&white 30s movies, set to current time.
2. Movie is far from currect Hollywood trends. All-white lead, only black character do nothing and dies shortly, lead-female is portraied as eyecandy, that needs to put on glasses to suddently become clever. Antagonist is female, who is violently, sexually killed reffering to rape. (seriously I heard this in some review! Fact that she kills others in same way before is totally ignored! - feminism 101)
3. Tom Cruise is hated by half of USA, due to scientology stuff. In movie he becomes a god of life and death which is taken as building-up his ego. Rest of world doesn't give a shit, they still like him.
4. Some people boycott movie, blaming casting Sofia as princess as whitewashing, not realising she is from Algeria, which is very close to Egypt.
5. People complain, that it takes many themes from various movies zombies, american warewolf in London undead sidekick, japan horror cliches with demons showing out of water and so on but if it was made by director like Taranting, they would prize it as 'great homange' or other similar shit.
6. Why mostly blockbusters get away with idiotic plot and scripting, making up by 'fun to watch special effects' while in "Mummy" case, there is pretty much no good word about visuals, and all reviews are focused on plot?

Seen 12 or 15 other "Mummy" movies, and 2017 one is nowhere as bad as solid half of them. Even taking their years of release, they were pretty bad back then

DVD/Blu-Ray release got feature commentaries from director and actors, explaining movie pretty well

it's still shitty

Wow! Gonna pre-order a copy for me AND my same sex partner.

#Clinton2020

man i've seen "certified fresh" stuff on RT that was far worse than The Mummy, fuck the haters. this universe seems fun so far

Dracula Untold was pretty good up until the last 30 seconds

Ghostbusters? Alien: Covenant?
seen both, "Mummy" was wild fun compared to these 2.

>other movies are bad so The Mummy is good!
No. I don't give a fuck about some stupid shills, what matters is The Mummy is fucking terrible. It isn't the worst movie of 2017 but it fully deserves the shit it has gotten. The old Universal monster movies shouldn't be remade into dumb action blockbusters.

The studios get a miniscule cut from the China box office.

the chinese are among the most stupid populations on earth

Calm down and tell what You found terrible. Just tell and explain. Maybe You noticed something I didn't.
Obviously it had to be made into action blockbuster, 30s monsters aren't scary anymore.

Serious question:
Are there any identifiable Chinese "monsters"?

I mean, like, MAYBE dragons but in Chinese lore they're basically gods and shit. But, I dunno. Chinese mummy again?
Zombie Mao?

>Obviously it had to be made into action blockbuster, 30s monsters aren't scary anymore.
Wrong, a spooky clown flick has made over $200 million in less than a week. Now is the perfect time to do proper horror remakes of the universal monsters.

youtube.com/watch?v=dlL6Gov4l1s

Okay a bunch of chinese demons sounds cool.

they were lucky and got on 80s nostalgia ride. noone expected this to do so much, some even expected totoal flop. The Mummy has been in production for way longer time, during which Marvel/DC blockbusters were the only things able to perform well. They went with similar formula. 1999 one was also blockbuster action.

Enough with the "IT'S SILLY! IT WON'T SCARE ANYONE!" bullshit. I'm sick and tired of retards like you telling Hollywood that old monster movies should be turned into retarded action blockbusters. If modern audiences can be scared by clowns and silly looking dolls then they can be scared by a re-animated rotting corpse.

>means that the Dark Universe is actually off to a good start no matter what you may think of the actual movie.

When is Terminator Genisys getting a sequel then? I mean that made 113 million in China and 33 million more overall. This article surely isn't fake news, right?

Whoa, these two totally separate 4channel posters have convinced me to go and pick up the Blu-Ray of The Mummy staring Tom Cruise and Annabelle Wallis. Only total dorks won't get this.

soon
nme.com/news/film/terminator-6-director-2140797

The mummy would have been better if it was Tom running around and getting whacked for 2 hours instead of long ass exposition shit while filmed in the desert instead of bongistan.

Russel Crowe should have been a cameo or at least starred in his own movie of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Crowe where he beats up people's shit.

Wow, you guys have convinced me to pre-order a blu-ray copy of Universal's The Mummy™ (2017). I'm sure it's a thrill-ride that's worth every penny!

>fuck the haters

Literally a shill

Good, more interesting than capeshit universes.

>some even expected totoal flop

Yeah. Spastic's on Sup Forums

Oh fucking please. Fuck haters on principle.

But really his opinion is shit and his taste is worse.

Absolutely! In fact, you just might want to set your remote to "Cruise control".

No I just can't take anyone seriously when they say "Fuck the haters". I just choose to believe they're a shill instead of just retarded

>which means that the Dark Universe is actually off to a good start
What? If it's only playing well in china surely they'd have the sense to steer the venture purely into The Mummy sequels, right?

>she will never be in a sequel

Dark Universe is going well. Since several Fast And Furious movies, Universal is aiming worldwide, not really caring solely about USA anymore.

from before movie release:
>insiders say a $40 million bow (plus a strong overseas haul) would be enough to move forward with the universe as planned

why Tom Cruise
>And the film is expected to do the majority of its business abroad, where Cruise continues to be a major draw. The Mummy will open day-and-date in more than 60 markets, including China.
>box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian. "If you look at [Universal's] Fate of the Furious, 80 percent of its box office came from international. Tom Cruise is an international superstar, and he remains so.
>Cruise's character will recur in the universe.

marketing:
>Comcast, Universal's parent company, is giving the film its so-called Symphony marketing push in the U.S. in which multiplatform divisions work together to promote a single project.

The Mummy hit 400 mil worldwide. It was expected to get around 350 mil, but Tom Cruise is the last superstar able to bring butts to theatre seats worldwide.

Beside movie, there is also mobile game and some other various merchendise stuff.
Next movie is already off to go, with director of this year biggest worldwide boxoffice hit - Beauty and Beast (1.200 mil worldwide).
The Bride of Frankenstein will be directed by Bill Condon.

Naw. China is somehow even worse thsn America. A friend lived teaching there and said she was amazed how much worse and lower brow Chinese moviegoers were than Americans. She said she thought American film audiences were the worst taste ever. Then she got to China.

Somehow they are worse than ghe average burger. She also said she started thinking of them as souless automatons and needed to get out of China before she became more racist.

Good.
Maybe she can get some roles in good movies.